Sensible Soccer Returns on PS2 and Xbox

Ill have to try and find my SWOS CD and try and get it working on my XP Machine again.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
Matt1234 its nothing like the original at all, it plays shite in my opinion! its lost all the brilliance the original had.
It's still better than FIFA though... :lmao:

jay666 said:
How do you get old games working on XP?
Well you have to download a program called VDMSOUND, it allows you to play old DOS games with Sound Blaster emulation in Win XP.

On another forum it tells you how to configure the program to run SWOS successfully. It works for other old DOS Games too.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
Well you have to download a program called VDMSOUND, it allows you to play old DOS games with Sound Blaster emulation in Win XP.

On another forum it tells you how to configure the program to run SWOS successfully. It works for other old DOS Games too.

DJ
That or you may have to use a DOS emulator such as DOSBox.

RichG said:
After reading that review, the demo must be really bad and not do it any justice at all.

Well the demo had probs but you can see if the ironed em out this game would be class, so how the fuck people can say it is awful is beyond me. Eurogamer gave it 9/10 and they rarely give games that score, cant wait till 9th june.

If you're going to use dosbox (and don't bother unless VDMSound doesn't work for you), get hold of a front-end like D-fend. It gives you a nice drop-down menu style for use instead of command line options, and you can make profiles for seperate games. As I said though, I'd use VDMSound first, it much less awkward to get running well.

Just played the demo and i don't like it at all...(i never played the original).

Stan play the original and you will see what most of us are saying, they have changed to much about the gameplay and its no where near as good as its father.

DJ

I just played the XBox demo and must say I find it great! They didn't mess it up imo, it's of course different from the original but the essence of what made SWOS great is captured very well. The graphics work just fine and look good in the game. There's nothing but blasting a curler into the top corner with the feeling that YOU aimed well and that YOU put the right curl on the ball!

Of course, it's not a game you'll play for ages like PES/WE, but it's a fun game to play with a few mates that don't have time to learn play PES/WE.

Last edited:
That... Was brilliant.

I haven't played the demo on any other format, so I don't know if it really is any different, but personally, I thought that was absolutely fantastic, especially with the XBOX 360 pad.

The freedom of movement is fantastic. I thought PES was free, but the freedom in this game is something else. I think, in multiplayer mode at least, this could be a real winner. The lack of an online mode is a shame, but hey, next time. In the meantime, I think this will be an invite-your-mates-around frenzy.

Bad points - the graphics are bad all-round, but especially awful in places (goalkeeper animations are a disgrace in this day and age really - shooting upto the ball in half-a-second without even moving their legs), which makes deciding where to shoot a bit difficult. Plus, the difficulty level is a worry (for single-player, anyway). I read on the Sensi Soccer website that there is no difficulty level, and that the game alters accordingly - i.e. if you're Sheffield United, you could beat a team like Accrington Stanley blindfolded, but if you played Brazil you would have to be a master of the game to even SNIFF the ball. Well, the demo is England v Argentina; I was England, won 1-0 and Argentina didn't even have a shot. This is on the first play of the game (and I'll be the first to admit I am awful at most games, Pro Evo included).

But the thought of playing this in a multiplayer mode (after having added Tranmere of course)... Jesus Christ. I really, really cannot wait. This is the most exciting gaming prospect I've had in a while.

I've actually got SWOS 96/97 installed, on this PC as well as on my PSP. No more. This game is fantastic. If it had the sheer number of teams of the original, as well as a management mode (is that included or not?), then I would go as far to say that it's better - maybe not in single player, if the difficulty is like the demo's difficulty, but most CERTAINLY in multiplayer.

I am so excited.

Last edited:
played the pc demo it was great. im sure someone will make patch with normal sized heads and real team and player names. might buy this for pc then.

Just downloaded and played the PC demo and its better than the PS2 version, so if this is final code I might buy this game for a laugh :) it plays ok and is fun.

DJ

Played it a few times now. In multiplayer, it's absolutely fantastic - but the goalies are really getting on my tit now. Every shot is parried out of play (even worse than in WE10), and moving from the left side of the goal to the right side in less than a millisecond, with no animation in-between, just isn't on.

Still absolutely love it though, my third favourite football game behind WE10 and FM2006. :)

Jack Bauer, thats typical Sensi :) I can remember the old ones where most shots I would take with any sort of direction and power the goalie would simply push it out of play.

DJ

this game has Wii sports game feel. Maybe they make Wii version too. Best controls of any football game. If they would make realistic version (keep the curve adding the same) with slower gameplay it would be even nicer(mod maybe?) :)

yeah its quite enjoyable, however the camera speed is insane, in a bad way. Ive only played one match on the pc demo and my eyes are already tired. Way to fast movement(up/down/up/down/etc), should be slowed down. Shooting is fun, but definitly takes getting used to, reminds me of actua soccer. The ball is the size of a tennisball aswell, shame the heads are so big as the bodies look good. And yeah the goalie parries everything.

the goalie teleports if its too far (more than 1 meters) from the ball :) but if it woudnt there would be even more goals than now. i can forgive that because this game doesnt try to be realistic.

17.99 at some websites, have a plunder if your 'playing' around on t'internet.

I'm torn now jack has said it's OK really want to hate this just coz of the melon heads and the fact the tonkers put out Sensi not SWOS [-X
What kind of league or cup structure is there can't really remember Sensi as I was and still are a SWOS man!!

The league structure looks to be the SWOS-style league structure - in other words, the real league structure. Gutted that it doesn't go down to Tranmere's level, but the whole of Tranmere's league could be added in a relatively short time (compared to trying to do it in PES anyway) seeing as all you'd have to do is make each team's kits, which is ten-minute job if you've got the info, and then you can enter as little detail as you want for the players, e.g. name, number, what colour skin they've got and what colour hair they've got - proper Sensi style (although you can add a few other touches I'm sure, hair-style and eye-colour at the very least).

I've pre-ordered a copy for the PS2 which I'm picking up tomorrow, it looks fab. Nick, I'd suggest renting it if you're not sure. Single-player I think will have about as much depth as djdoc360, but the multiplayer looks like it could be a winner (with only the robotic goalkeepers letting it down - I just can't wait to hit some fantastic bending shots in though, the freedom of it is so good).

Just thought though, I'll take a few hours putting all the right names in - if it supports a USB keyboard. If not I'll be taking it back and swapping for the PC version I think...

I'm a bit disappointed now...

You can only add a custom team. Not custom teams. So there goes my dream of adding League One. :(

It's a very good game, and the difficultly level does seem about right (it feels too easy but, as Leeds, I had to beat Sheffield Utd in extra time and Southampton beat me 1-0, so it can't really be too easy can it?). The goalies seem slightly less prone to zoom across the goal as well, although maybe that's just because I'm using lower-league teams and therefore worse goalkeepers.

No commentary, which is a bit sad - I would love it, just love it, if Jonathan Hare came back to do some proper commentary for it next year. That, online play, and the ability to add as many custom teams as you want (or at least 24), would make it sensational, in my eyes.

As it is, for the price, it's absolutely worth a go (or at least a rent). On your own, it's a bit boring (even though the amount of competitions should take you an age to complete), but in multiplayer, it's almost as much fun as PES - knowing that YOU are in control of every brilliant pass and every stupid one, is the best/worst feeling.

Right, I'm off to correct all of the thousands of team and player names now. I'll be back next year...

Back
Top Bottom