Sega Rally

Seraphs, arcade can be good - Stranglehold is the most arcade game ever and I love it - but to me an arcade rally game isn't fun. You just think, that wouldn't happen, that wouldn't happen, that wouldn't happen... Or at least I do.

Depends on who you are though, I love realism in games, and I play more sports games than anything.

Just like on Stranglehold how you get shot 10 times and dont die, that can happen :D

Just because it looks real dont mean it has to play realistic...

Last edited:
ahhh yes when you use math and not counting on your fingers it "adds" up.

LOL Sega rally revo 4 Life!

Hahaha! :D

This game is actually pretty good, better than I thought, the graphics are very nice, not totally real life, real life like I was expecting from what some said, has that arcadey yet real look to it, the ground erosion is very good, the handling is nice, and pretty fun overall, the rumble is used great aswell :)

I came 3rd on the canyon level first race, and 1st on the supposedly harder one, weird, but I used wrong tires for the first haha, maybe thats why :)

Its a good game, I wont buy it, as its not my type of game, to play all the time, but it is actually a good game :)

Would love a good split screen full grid rally cross type game... but must be split screen, only play FPS on PC online... I know there were a couple of games out a while ago that had split screen head to head but not a full grid split screen.. Is there anything like this? Has Sega rally got it?

I like the demo. The orignal Sega Rally is still the best game. Arcade and Saturn version were both great. This game is a step in the right direction as the last game on the PS2 was terrible.

Playing in 3rd person view does seem a bit slow. I pretty sure Sega Rally II on the Dreamcast was quicker. Might have to load it up see the difference.

Well, this game is to colin mcrae as Virtua striker is to fifa?
would that be a fair assessment?
yes, you got the point, more or less.

both fifa and cmr rally have an arcadey feeling, but both are not pure arcade games, they somehow try being simulative.

both virtua striker and sega rally are BLATANTLY arcade.

[OFF TOPIC]
actually if you look closer, there's a difference between them: sega rally has always been arcade and will always be arcade. virtua striker has been 100% arcade till, let me say, its third release. then with VS2002 they started adding some simulative features such as fatigue, and unfortunately with VS4 and VS4:2006 they continued this way (VS4 also has subs and next-game-bans for red cards).
notice that for 'arcade' I mean a game that's easy to handle (look at virtua tennis arcade, two buttons and you're ready to go), that provides a good feeling within a short time, and that gives immediate fun, so I must say VIRTUA STRIKER IS NO MORE ARCADE. it's a game you can't define.
LONG LIVE VS2!!

[/OFF TOPIC]

Last edited:
I prefer quality of quantity Bumperman, I can't stop playing the Tropical track on the demo, I remember there being only 4 courses on the original.

It's one of my most played games ever though, because the feel is so addictive and you can spend hours trying to beat lap times, no other driving game has that feel I reckon.

Edit: I can't stress enough the importance of playing this (or any other driving game) in first-person view!

Last edited:
I only play racing games in Bumpercam, or first person view as you call it, and well its like a PS2 that has got HD'd up, it looks average at best in my view and it will be heading bargain basement quicker than Atomic Kitten's greatest hits album.

I will play it again, and I am a fan of the series, the first one was ace, and I played it shit loads on my Saturn, the 2nd, while awesome in the arcade was rushed for the DC launch and had severe framerate issues on some courses; but this seriously reminds me more of Shox on the PS2 than Sega Rally, I saw the score EG gave it and near fainted, unless this is a very early demo, its pure turkey compared to CM DIRT. I will try it again, but I dont give it much hope of this game being on my HDD this time tomorrow, and its the big feckin HDD too...........

Dirt was shocking when it came to races vs CPU though. it was like bumper cars. Is the team that made Sega Rally and Sega Rally II the same team that made this game?

Nice to see someone has taste Kobashi.

Bumperman's comparison of Virtua Striker and Segha Rally would be fair in terms of style and presentation, in terms of depth in gameplay it's the opposite.

I see that this was developed by Sega Racing studio and not the AM5 division (Tetsuya Mizuguchi) who developed Sega Rally and Sega Rally II.

NickSCFC did you ever play Sega Rally 2006? It was never released outside of Japan/Korea. It was a really poor game..

Would of you liked Sega Racing Studio too have included the 10 year championship on this game like AM5 did on Sega Rally II for the DC. It was pretty tough but gave the game more depth.

I dont like 1st person view, unless it has like what PGR3 has, a like real inscreen mode, I was let down by that, but I like the 3rd person of the car, seeing whats around etc, but I still enjoyed it :) Its just the way I have always played it, I like seeing my car, and whats happened to it, or seeing the real interior.

Its just the way I have always played it, I like seeing my car, and whats happened to it, or seeing the real interior.
I used to play in 3rd person too, until I tried F355 challenge some years ago. Playing it in 1st, with the 3 pedals and the 6-position shifter, was the closest experience to driving a real car I ever had.
I found out that if you have a steering wheel and pedals, 1st person is better because it's the way you drive in real life. I don't have a steering wheel, but I got used to 1st person sega rally at the arcades so I find it comfortable that way.

@NickSCFC: if you suggest to listen to the "original" music you were listening to when you first played it.. I started playing sega rally 2 at the arcades in early 2000s, and it was next to dance dance revolution.. would I have to listen to fast paced terchno then when I run? I hope not!! :lol:

I just think the music of the original (well, some of the tracks) suit the game really well, and help you get a feel for it.

@ Kobashi: I was gutted when I heard this game was going to be made in Britain instead of Japan, but they've done a real good job of getting the feel of the original and injecting some speed into it.

Back
Top Bottom