Sega Rally

pepe montoto

League 1
8 August 2004
Australia
Boca Juniors
Demo is up on Live.
The demo features two quick race tracks taken from the colorful, steep sided Canyon environment and the gloriously muddy and downright dirty Tropical environment. Players will also have the choice of literally tearing up the deformable surfaces in either the Mitsubishi Evo IX FQ3 or the Subaru Impreza STi Spec C type RA (source GameSlave)

Don't like... Feels very similar (but worse) to Dirt, and I really didn't like Dirt. Just doesn't feel right, very arcade (but of course if you love arcade you'll love both).

Is there ever going to be a rally sim rather than a rally arcade game?

Don't like... Feels very similar (but worse) to Dirt, and I really didn't like Dirt. Just doesn't feel right, very arcade (but of course if you love arcade you'll love both).

Is there ever going to be a rally sim rather than a rally arcade game?

Hmmm... I'm with you on this one. I actually find it even more arcade than Dirt.
We need a good rally sim but looks like we'll have to wait another year.
What a shame, I was so looking forward to it...
Back to FIFA demo.

it is not suppoded to be arcade. IT HAS to be arcade.

I know sega made a very good driving simulator in the past (F355 challenge anyone? it's the only game that I've played with manual gears + clutch and though being difficult it's fun) but this doesn't mean that every driving game made by sega has to be a simulation.

seeing a simulation named sega rally will be like if someone tells you "have you seen the new need for speed? the perfect driving simulator, better than GTR2!!".
if it happened I'd just not give a toss about NFS anymore.

Sega Rally has always been an arcade rally game and arcade it has to stay.

Great, I didn't say otherwise. I'm just fed up of waiting for a (modern, 360) rally simulation, off somebody, somewhere.

And as Nick said...

It's odd though, because in terms of handling, the original on the Saturn is still one of the best driving games around for handling!

I'd suggest you to try Richard Burns rally if you're looking for something more "serious". if I don't go wrong it was out also for xbox. it's not perfect, but it's the most close to reality I've tried..

I know, it's supposed to be incredible, but when there's football games out every year, Gran Turismo/Forza out every few years, I wish there was an up-to-date rally sim with licensed races and racers that released every year or two. Such a shame, Gran Turismo's rally mode is probably the closest I'll get to a new rally sim (and I'll have to buy a PS3).

:'( never played GT in a serious way as I don't own a PS2, just made a few vs races with friends.

anyway, you've got a point. a next-gen rally sim would be great..

Edit - Id asked about sony's WRC games but ive just found the info

SCEE has today announced an exclusivity deal with developer Evolution – creators of the FIA-licensed WRC series, that will see the studio’s games limited to Sony-only machines. This arrangement will stretch from WRC4, which is due to thrash it out against Richard Burns and Colin McRae this October, to beyond the horizon and the realm of PS3. Sony is clearly pleased to have bagged another solid team ahead of the ensuing hardware battle, and surely Evolution is quite content to have found a faithful partner in Sony.

Aside from WRC4, and the inevitable PS3 WRC title, Evolution will also be lending weight to the list of PSP projects in progress. According to the press release, “Evolution also has a visionary satellite studio, BigBig, who are currently working on a highly anticipated original title for PSP.” Presumably that doesn't refer to WRC on PSP, which isn't original, so it should be something else entirely. Until further details are unleashed, you'll just have to anticipate the title, highly.

screenshots
http://spong.com/article/7456/mode/asset/type/11

===

which gives nothing away really - but the WRC games have always been good fun and more sim than arcade

Last edited:
I think I'm in love, the handling is amazing, love the Tropical track, it's beautiful!

Sega is back!

YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME IN 1ST PERSON VIEW TO FEEL WHAT THE FUSS IS ABOUT!

Last edited:
IGN can't be trusted - they offered PREY's devs a 8/10 or 9/10 score before even playing the game to get the world exclusive review.

Plus they're dick heads - they claimed to have the final version of gta sa and in the review and were talking about skate boarding and picking up hitch hikers and you couldnt even do that

Thought it was rubbish. There seems to be totally no weight to the car what so ever, with driving on tarmake feeling like a run on a snow covered road. And i know, i was doing handbrake turns on a snow covered parking lot a few years ago. I had about the same amount of grip.....

Edit - Id asked about sony's WRC games but ive just found the info

SCEE has today announced an exclusivity deal with developer Evolution – creators of the FIA-licensed WRC series, that will see the studio’s games limited to Sony-only machines. This arrangement will stretch from WRC4, which is due to thrash it out against Richard Burns and Colin McRae this October, to beyond the horizon and the realm of PS3. Sony is clearly pleased to have bagged another solid team ahead of the ensuing hardware battle, and surely Evolution is quite content to have found a faithful partner in Sony.

Aside from WRC4, and the inevitable PS3 WRC title, Evolution will also be lending weight to the list of PSP projects in progress. According to the press release, “Evolution also has a visionary satellite studio, BigBig, who are currently working on a highly anticipated original title for PSP.” Presumably that doesn't refer to WRC on PSP, which isn't original, so it should be something else entirely. Until further details are unleashed, you'll just have to anticipate the title, highly.

screenshots
http://spong.com/article/7456/mode/asset/type/11

===

which gives nothing away really - but the WRC games have always been good fun and more sim than arcade

very very old pics, i'm not sure they are still developing a new wrc part atm

You need to play this game in first person view to see what the fuss with Sega Rally is all about. Try to forget about realism and just enjoy it, it's the most thrilling driving game I've ever played, and I've played them all!

You need to play this game in first person view to see what the fuss with Sega Rally is all about. Try to forget about realism and just enjoy it, it's the most thrilling driving game I've ever played, and I've played them all!

Is it the first rally game you have played i did one lap and deleted it, it's shit.

That's because you're an idiot. Some of you pricks on this forum wouldn't know a decent game if it chopped your bollocks off!

The Paradise track is brilliant, it's just the way the game flows, the physics, the way the car hits the ground after a jump, the rumble, I think it's perfect!

I played only the demo of DIRT, nice physics but it was slow and the lack of drifting killed it for me. Sega Rally is the only rally game that doesn't send me to sleep. The original on the Saturn (1995) is still praised today for delivering amazing handling that racers still can't match today.

Last edited:
Dirt is arcade too, but that's playable. This is insane, it's like a controlling a jelly pie on ice.

I've come first nearly every time, but then I did play the old ones alot. Once you get a feel for it you'll be hooked, best to have some better music on, I play with the original 1995 music playing off my HDD, if you can't get that then something by Van Halen will do.

The only other racing games that come close to giving you that Sega Rally rush are Burnout and F-Zero GX, infact Burnout feels nothing like it, GX has the more similar tracks I guess.

Edit: Good review here, they sum it up well http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=83469

Last edited:
I might have to try it out, and see what the fuss is about, not a keen rally racer though, more of a normal racer, but I will see :D

Also why does every game have to be simulation, arcade can be just as good, in some cases, much better, probably be more fun, so as soon as im home will download and try it out, should of tried downloaded it earlier, but went on Heavenly Sword haha!

Seraphs, arcade can be good - Stranglehold is the most arcade game ever and I love it - but to me an arcade rally game isn't fun. You just think, that wouldn't happen, that wouldn't happen, that wouldn't happen... Or at least I do.

Depends on who you are though, I love realism in games, and I play more sports games than anything.

Two things are GREAT 1 thing is bad

1)Graphics are very clean and arcadey while being realistic somewhat kinda like F-Zero GX if you get my meaning. i like that
2)Environamnet/grounds are amazing. NEVER have seen the dip[iction of snow,ice dirt etc in a game like this. this has motorstorm's mud beat by a mile!

Bad) the number of tracks... Apparently it's rumored to have only 15 tracks, which I feel is too little . % environamnets 3 tracks each is small seeing how it works. Hopefully there will be the rumored "hidden/secret" ones though.

game at 40 bucks would be a steal though...

Seraphs, arcade can be good - Stranglehold is the most arcade game ever and I love it - but to me an arcade rally game isn't fun. You just think, that wouldn't happen, that wouldn't happen, that wouldn't happen... Or at least I do.

Depends on who you are though, I love realism in games, and I play more sports games than anything.

Agree 100 percent. can't get into any mario sports games cuz of it or and multiplayer "fun" stuff.

I don't like FPS but really like Bioshock and the COD4 game coming out

I actually really like Mario Strikers Charged, but that's so arcade that it's not at all realistic and you know from the start by the cartoon characters. If a game looks real you expect it to play real.

Back
Top Bottom