Scotland - Italy

LOL..........I think Foxy hits the spot to be honest, it's your media. It does make me laugh about English fans though saying all Scotland do is slag off England and are jealous, when all we got leading up to the Italy game was 'hope you get humped' on the radio stations.

I've had probably too much arrogance and the like from the media and the likes and probably can never want England to win.

FD

Glad that Azzurri's made it for Euro 08 because they deserve to be there.

Feel really sorry for Scotland, I like your spirit, I like your fairplay, I like your heroes :D
It's a shame that a team wo won twice against France 'll not be there :/

PS) And your country is just beautiful :)

Last edited:
First of all hats off to lo zio, Jack and Gerd for helping. :applause:

What usually happens in such arguments;

Each person starts out fairly reasonable though a disagreement or error by one party or the other exists. Through initial disagreement each person becomes more and more distanced by such arguments, positions become polarized and entrenched. They say that fanaticism consists in re-doubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim and that is what usually happens in such threads. It becomes an issue of winning the argument at all costs when the reason for the initial problem has been forgotten. The anonymity and facelessness of this media makes it even more likely to for this to happen

It is unusual, intelligent, conscientiously sensitive and welcome for people to come to understand one another and to make up for errors made. Everyone makes mistakes of one kind or another it is how you come back from them that counts….hats off guys. :applause:

LOL..........I think Foxy hits the spot to be honest, it's your media. It does make me laugh about English fans though saying all Scotland do is slag off England and are jealous, when all we got leading up to the Italy game was 'hope you get humped' on the radio stations.

I've had probably too much arrogance and the like from the media and the likes and probably can never want England to win.
FD

If the English media or elements of the English media are at fault and have caused you to view them with ill feeling and contempt, then by all means direct that at them.

If some of that ill feeling spills over into your treatment of English fans generally, particularly to fans that have had no part in what it is you despise the English media for;

you will have allowed what you despise to plant a seed of ill will, something that can propagate and turn you into a mirror image of the very thing that you hate.

If you do not want that shity part of the English media to win, you do so by guarding against it, by retaining balance and not allowing them to colour your views against a wider society.

That's not entirely true. We don't hate English people because they're English. It's the constant media arrogance that comes with each tournament. I would like to see England qualify and do well but I'd like to see the offices of The Sun and other red-tops burn down.

The sun is a vile rag and I would like all the English tabloids to go to hell in a hand cart. They are arrogant, simplistic, jingoistic, racist filth that are unrepresentative of English people….and they are editorialized to death and not actually news at all.
Scotland were very unfortunate in being in such a group they fought a heroic campaign, they were passionate, well organized and in players like Mcfadden carried a real threat and quality. Despite not making it Scotland can look back on their performaces with pride, they have transformed their fortunes and can look to the world cup qualifiers with great confidence.

All the above said Italy do deserve to be there at the EUROs, they have played with quality and the referee was not in their pocket or favour but was independent. If the referee was poor, he was poor in respect of both teams and was independently poor. The result in the end was not due to the refereeing errors as they can be said to have been balanced out.

I can’t wait for Wednesday :cry:

I am a big England fan and we all know the quality of Mclaren’s management and how much attacking passion this team has produced so far and what I might be able to expect :cry:

I have heard he might play one player up front (please no :(

Think of me on Wednesday {|= and hope for me if nothing else.

FD
It's genuinely annoying to read that as someone who shares vanzandt's mentality (i.e. I follow Liverpool but once they're knocked out of a European competition I will want the English teams to go on and do well, even if it's Man Utd - and I'm the same with international competitions, I want to see as many nations from Great Britain through as possible).

In-fact I don't know any English guy who wanted Scotland to lose; but unfortunately the media need to stir things up and magnify/scandalise any potential rivalry and news story as much as possible. Along with a bunch of "analysts" who will watch England draw 0-0 with Croatia and say "now that England are through they're going to do REALLY WELL in the final competition, they've got some amazing players" (it's just a shame that the England shirt is made of kryptonite and drains all of their superpowers)...

I want to say "ignore the media" but when it's rammed down your throat I suppose it's a bit hard to ignore.

I wanted Italy and France to qualify, I won't pretend I didn't. Not because I dislike Scotland (they don't really register on my football radar, no offence Foxtrot and co. :) ) but I didn't want a Euro 2008 without the two World Cup finalists, France and Italy. It's as simple as that. Most English people I know haven't got the energy to hate Scottish, Welsh or Irish fans. England fans tend to get more hyped up for matches against Germany and Argentina, they are our big games. Call that arrogance or what you will, that's the way it is and will always be.

Last edited:
Media and football, it's rarely a good combination...football is sells newspapers and unbiased reporting rarely does...so...

In Belgian papers (and also in L'Equipe, France Football and la Gazetta dello Sport,who know their football)players get rating (1-10)...that seems entirely stupid and useless to me unless the people who give the rating actually know what role the players were supposed to fullfill...i.e. knowing what the managers told them to do...usually journalists haven't got the faintest clue...

The Welsh and Scottish media annoy me aswell though - there is an obvious bitter resentment for England with most things they broadcast.

I live in Wales and have done for a decade because of family commitments - it is really tough being an English-born person here. There are little digs at England at every opportunity and the Welsh commentators are AWFUL (anyone heard the Welsh guy on MOTD?). You should try sitting in a pub if England are playing against anyone - the locals will support ANYONE who is playing against us. But a week later the Premiership matches are on and I always say to myself "You do realise what country these clubs play in? If you hate England so much go and support a Welsh club."

I wanted Italy and France to qualify, I won't pretend I didn't. Not because I hate Scotland (they don't really register on my football radar, no offence Foxtrot and co. :)) but I didn't want a Euro 2008 without the two World Cup finalists, France and Italy. It's as simple as that. Most English people I know haven't got the energy to hate Scottish, Welsh or Irish fans. England fans tend to get more hyped up for matches against Germany and Argentina, they are our big games. Call that arrogance or what you will, that's the way it is and will always be.

I will not call it arrogance, but i have the distinct impression that some English fans over here were quite happy when Scotland lost match after match a couple of years ago.
I also remember my thread about the Lisbon lions as being the best Brittish team ever in one single season...that provoked quite heavy discussion by people whose parents weren't even old enough to see things in perspective...to some English football fans it is simply inconceivable that Scottish football could one day become better than English (or even used to be better).

And concerning you Ninja, you were banned a few times, i never agreed with it, but i remember some comments about Scottish football (Celtic) that where worse than the things that got you banned...

Maybe I have gone over the top about Celtic in the past Gerd, I agree. BUT some of the Scottish boys here really lay into England and English football in general. Also, some of the Juventus and Milan supporters really lay into the Inter supporters but never seem to get a warning.

Anyway, lets not go off-topic.

I was in Edinburgh when England lost to Portugal in the last Euros, and by God, the Scots were loving it! I've never seen them so happy before - they were very bitter towards us. But to be honest, I'd be disappointed if they weren't.

I was supporting the Jocks on Saturday though, and support any UK or Irish team.

Norn Iron are still in with a shout aren't they?

Well they've got to beat Spain away and hope that Sweden lose at home to Latvia. Not really the easiest route to the finals, is it? ;)

To be honest, I really don't understand the level of animosity that Scotland carry for England.

It seems that the Tartan army are a loveable bunch of rogues...Which for the most part they are, Until it comes to "En-ger-lund".

Scottish peoples anger towards our English neighbours more recently stems from the "Braveheart" era, I mean, It's a hollywood version of battles that were fought hundreds of years ago, get over it ffs.

Most English people I have met/spoke to have a high regard/respect for all things Scottish.

Shame it doesn't work both ways.

Thanks for nothing Mel.

It's genuinely annoying to read that as someone who shares vanzandt's mentality (i.e. I follow Liverpool but once they're knocked out of a European competition I will want the English teams to go on and do well, even if it's Man Utd - and I'm the same with international competitions, I want to see as many nations from Great Britain through as possible).

In-fact I don't know any English guy who wanted Scotland to lose; but unfortunately the media need to stir things up and magnify/scandalise any potential rivalry and news story as much as possible. Along with a bunch of "analysts" who will watch England draw 0-0 with Croatia and say "now that England are through they're going to do REALLY WELL in the final competition, they've got some amazing players" (it's just a shame that the England shirt is made of kryptonite and drains all of their superpowers)...

I want to say "ignore the media" but when it's rammed down your throat I suppose it's a bit hard to ignore.

Sorry JB, but you don't know many English fans, let's be honest you've got cock fans just as much as any other country including Scotland.

Stop everyone on here spouting pish about England supporting Scotland, because it's not true, you'd probably find the same % of cock fans in Scotland are found in the same % as English fans.

Myself and my brother work for 2 different multi-national companies and believe me there was no English well-wishers. I can also clearly remember a certain away support of England who booed their own player because he played for a Scottish team (Alan Thompson) vs Sweden. He was booed and they sang "What the fucking hell is that". A good contingent of English fans also do the usual hooligan shit that doesn't endear themselves to others.

So yes, the media are prats but so are the majority of fans too...........fact.

FD

Back
Top Bottom