Ronaldo announces his retirement

lukas_rod

Championship
25 October 2007
Brazil
São Paulo FC
a3fe65b7-37eb-31c4-9174-1640f9219b9e.jpg

After 18 years as a footballer, Ronaldo will explain his retirement on Monday

In an interview, he said he would like to continue, but he can't handle it anymore.

Last edited:
Re: Ronaldo announce his retirement

i would rather remember him with this photos..

pic474.jpg

legend of football.. hope we see players like him in future..

could this have something to do with R. Carlos request for leaving Corinthians?

could this have something to do with R. Carlos request for leaving Corinthians?

I don't think so, after the Libertadores elimination, a few Corinthians supporters blamed both Roberto and Ronaldo and wanted they leave the club.

As I grew up watching football, he was THE man. Just brilliant to watch.

After Zidane, he's probably the next true legend to retire for me, atleast in my era.

Yep! He was just f'n phenomenal!

One of the greatest ever!

Too bad he wasn't professional and had those serious knee injuries! His brilliance was cut shorter than it should've been.

My all time favourite. Sad to see another great retire, bu I do guess it is better to end it early than to try and just humiliate yourself. Soccernet's article wrote this "He reportedly told local media he has "cried like a baby" since Corinthians fell to Deportes Tolima in the two-legged first stage of South America's premier club tournament. "I wanted to continue but I can't," he is quoted as saying. "I think about making a play but I can't execute it. The time is up.""

He will always be remembered as one of the greats

The main man of my childhood dream teams, what I would've given to have seen him in a United shirt.

When he was younger, in the few years before France '98, before the mystery of that final, before the knee injury in '99 (and subsequent ones), he was simply ridiculous.

Absolutely unstoppable when he went on a run, the pace, power and insanely close control combined with the skills and sheer confidence meant you only had to give him the ball and you knew you were gonna score.

Came back with a bang at the 2002 World Cup and for one or two years afterwards at Real, he was still the man. His hat-trick performance against us at OT in 2002/03 earnt him an ovation from the entire stadium as he went off, I was scared everytime he touched the ball that night.

Yet another of my heroes that I've grown up with has retired, not long before all the greatest players of the 90's/early 00's have retired.

Good luck R9.

I think without all those injuries he could prove to be the best player of all time.. between still be one of best players ever. Goodbye Ronnie :)

Apparently he's mentioned today that he has hyperthyroidism.

That'll be the reason why his weight was/is so hard to keep down. Couldn't medicate it either because it'd show us whenever he was drug-tested.

Just can't imagine what he would've been like if he'd been able to maintain the form of 94-98, injuries just killed him.

:APPLAUD:

Does anyone remember the memorable step over in a Copa Italia game (?), I can't remember who it was against but I do remember attempting it in school the next day along with many others.

Legend.

241587388.jpg

i think the best compliment to ronaldo came from nesta and maldini. years ago, during a double interview, they were asked who was the toughest player they had to mark in their carreer and they both said ronaldo was "simply unmarkable".

extraordinary player indeed. and also terrbily unlucky. the cruciate ligament injury he faced is the same kind of injury that put an end to dozens of players.
he had that terrible injury not once, but twice. and yet, both times he had the mental strenght, the determination and the will to recover and play football again.
along with van basten, he's been without a doubt the greatest striker i've ever seen playing. :WORSHIP:

Last edited:

A sad day for every football lover. The best striker I've ever seen is retired. I must admit, I'm one of those who have criticized him in last Corinthians' appearances. Good players know when to retire and Ronaldo recognized it was enough. Thanks for every single moments of magic, thanks for the goals, thanks for the assists, thanks for the tears.

Obrigado Ronaldo! Foi lindo pra caramba...

:)

Last edited:
Cruzeiro: Apps 14 Goals: 12
PSV: Apps 46 Goals: 42
Barcelona: Apps: 37 Goals: 34
Inter Milan: Apps: 68 Goals: 49
Real Madrid: Apps: 127 Goals: 83
AC Milan: Apps 20 Goals: 9
Corinthians: Apps 31 Goals: 18
Brazil: 97 Goals: 62

Even late in his career, his goal return was good.

He'll be remembered as a legend, but it's hard not to imagine what he could have achieved if not for all the injuries.

Cruzeiro: Apps 14 Goals: 12
PSV: Apps 46 Goals: 42
Barcelona: Apps: 37 Goals: 34
Inter Milan: Apps: 68 Goals: 49
Real Madrid: Apps: 127 Goals: 83
AC Milan: Apps 20 Goals: 9
Corinthians: Apps 31 Goals: 18
Brazil: 97 Goals: 62

Even late in his career, his goal return was good.

That seems to be only league goals, if you consider cups too the goal per game ratio is even better.

Back
Top Bottom