Rodelero's PES 2012 Playtest Impressions

Re: PES 2012 Playtest Impressions

Excellent work, Rod. More or less what I'd wanted to hear, too - if someone had said the game was near-perfect I'd have been inclined to doubt their objectivity, whereas "brilliant with a few niggles, but far fewer niggles than 2011" sounds very plausible and very exciting.

Shame that the stamina system hasn't changed - guess the message didn't get through to Konami (not least because they don't seem to read Evo-Web), because it wouldn't exactly be an ordeal to program - but if superpowered five-man pressing is more or less gone from the game, it won't matter quite so much.

Last edited:

Got a lot done tonight but it's not gonna be until tomorrow evening I don't think. Maybe during the afternoon if work's quiet ;)

I'm hoping to cover how the dribbling adds a lot more depth and nuance in 1v1 contests and how the balance of things greatly improves pressing (though without the stamina system that Pere Ubu has talked about before).

So there will definitely be an improved stamina system in the full game?

As mentioned above - stamina isn't necessarily the factor - isn't it more about not being able to constantly press and harass and then win the ball without effort. If that is less prominent, then you might not need massive stamina improvements. Or am I wrong?

do all the hard shots still have backspin or are there proper knuckle, side spin, top spin and no spin shots?

i know you can do "knuckle" shots in pes 2011 but they need to be done manually which doesn't make any sense.

A few direct question to Romagnoli or Rodelero or both! :)

1) load formation screen: When you want to load a formation saved, this screen, fill the whole screen? or just the half? In PES 2011 blocked the other player.....

2) Shooting: is shooting very assisted like PES 2011 or is more depending on "human" skill? Of course the player stats will influence.

3) Chip shot (square + L1): again...is to assisted and defficient like PES 2011?

4) Auto clearance and auto-shooting: does the CPU clear the ball, shoots/heads automatically?

5)Assisted passes 0 to 4: Asissted passes 0-4 are applied to:
a) Only passes with X?
b) Or passes with X, O and triangle?

6) Sliding tackle to avoid ball going out the field: Can you make sliding tackle to try to save the ball from going out the field? in PES 2011 only you can try to save a goal ball.

7) Control selection check: Is control selection check disabled?

8) Penalties: The goalkeeper, can save the chip shot in all directions?

That's all!!

Thanks mates! Excelent impressions Rodelero, very very complete!

Regards!

As mentioned above - stamina isn't necessarily the factor - isn't it more about not being able to constantly press and harass and then win the ball without effort. If that is less prominent, then you might not need massive stamina improvements. Or am I wrong?

Still, all is about balance for attacking and defending. IMO, Stamina/fatigue system should still play roles in here but less prominent. I mean for example in 75-90 mins, i'd look forward to still have "responsive (animation-wise)" defender but his movement a lil bit heavier, hence easier to get wrong-footed. Hence, what it prompts me to do are jockeying in a further distance, making a substitution or alter my tactic.

Also for an attacker, in 75-90 mins, the player should still be "responsive (animation-wise)", but his dribbling touches is more prone to error e.g PES game pov : the ball distance from foot is a bit further.

IMO, It is critical not to have such a stamina/fatigue drop gap between first & second half in a sense that any system should avoid making the game felt unresponsive/sluggish in the last minutes.

@Rodelero

Late thanks for the preview :SMUG:

In PES 2011, when we pass a through ball (ground and lofted), long ball, our recipient automatically run/sprints to the ball in a too stiff rail. In a sense that, we can't control him unless the ball is at his feet, the ball is at opponent's feet, use super cancel.

So, to what extent the freedom of controlling recipient player expands in this regard ? Thx

Last edited:
If you want to see realistic fatigue and tactic settings etc, it's more likely to be apparent on a 15 minute game or even 20 minute game (same goes for FIFA). But the short term fatigue is what needs to be addressed I think.

It's almost like a KERS button on a Formula 1 car. If you sprint a certain distance, your ability to continue sprinting at that speed must taper off substantially for a couple of minutes and as the game goes on, your levels drop off so you can chase around less and less.

In real matches some players try and win the ball back and then conserve their energy. For one reason, they get pulled out of shape formation wise and mainly, because fatigue kicks in, lactic acid, oxygen etc etc. If it was possible to run around all game like headless chooks, we would see it more often in real life.

Cheers Rod,

One thing I thought they were trying to get in this year was player specific animations for especially for someone like Ronaldo, see anything?

EXCELLENT (better than any other football game to date)
Team AI
Dribbling
Interceptions
Team management screens
Player/Team individuality
Responsiveness
VERY GOOD (Could be better, but a real highlight in the game)
Ball Physics
CPU AI
Passing

Sold.

Wow - thanks a lot for the impressions. I am honestly eager to get my hands on the game now :)

Very good review, thanks for that.

I'm curious as to why you've rated the graphics so poorly? I suppose it's down to each person's individual taste - I thought the graphics on PES2011 were fine so unless they've made them worse, I won't have an issue.

There is a new array of cameras and most people will be able to find one they like this year. Customisation options for them are few and far between though. A new blimp camera gives you an extremely-far out view of the entire pitch, while a 'pitch-side' camera gives you a wide camera with little to no pan. An option, presumably for spectating, has been added which gives you the live broadcast experience, zooming in on players on the wing as you see on TV. Perhaps most importantly, the 'Wide' camera is a little further out now, and it makes it feel slightly less claustrophobic, though radar use is still necessary.

First off: thank you for the nice work! :thumpsup:
Please allow me one important question:
do i can change the camera-angle when facing the goal in widecam?
In PES 2011 there was no option to change them and i had to use the "camera changer" tool to get rid of them.

Very good review, thanks for that.

I'm curious as to why you've rated the graphics so poorly? I suppose it's down to each person's individual taste - I thought the graphics on PES2011 were fine so unless they've made them worse, I won't have an issue.

Personally I prefer the PES graphics to FIFA. More natural looking and the colours aren't saturated to the max. Maybe he means the level of detail on the wider camera views?

Sounds good! The 1 on 1 stuff sounds like a real evolution in football games, hopefully it will dramatically cut down the mindless sprinting and pressuring. They made a half step towards this in 2011 with the defending side which worked really well in the demo, I enjoyed squaring up to attackers backing off and timing the tackle, cant say I ever used it in the full game though :(.

The passing sounds a bit worrying, I have a question for you please:

Is there still a manual modifier? You said that 0 pass assistance felt different to manual but I am not sure if you meant that manual is still there or its different to manual different to 2011.

Got a question: Since the addition of the Portuguese league, do we still have a completely fake league with Team A, B, C etc. to create a realistic Bundesliga or has it been removed?

Got a question: Since the addition of the Portuguese league, do we still have a completely fake league with Team A, B, C etc. to create a realistic Bundesliga or has it been removed?

It's already been said that there is the
'English League' (partial license, 2+ teams?)
'Ligue 1' (fully licensed)
'Liga BBVA' (fully licensed)
'Eredivisie' (fully licensed)
'Serie A' (tbc I think)
'PES League' (can be used for Bundesliga)
'D2 League' (we know what this is....)
then Other European Teams & Rest Of World

Last edited:
Outstanding Rod. Thanks for taking the time, hugely appreciated by all, and what a concise, insightful and articulate preview. Full marks Sir. :)

Superb write up. Cant wait for the game now.

One question that I hope that can be answered:

Is there a regular, non tilting/broadcast style Wide Cam (like the PS2 days) present in the game this year? I seem to remember hearing about it during the initial announcement and I think it was being shown behind Seabass in the very first video.

Thanks. :)

NIce write up, mate. This most likely is the best preview so far. Very detailed and overall very positive, but it does not ignore what still needs fixing or tweaking.

My main concerns are still on the fatigue and staminia system. I know that the huge improvements on dribling, responsiveness controls and Ai teammates all together will make much easier to deal with pressure whores (at least that's what i hope so), but that doesn't mean that a proper fatigue/staminia are not needed.

I've read this preview last night (Brazil's clock time), i'm a bit lazzy to read it again so i'd like to ask you something: how are the refs and tackling system ? Considering that the 360 dribbling and collision physics are much improved, do the refs now call more fouls now ? Are they something like the pes 2011 demo ?

I'm a bit worried about passing as well. I hope the 2 assistance level to be the standard for online matchs.

What i hate is how lazy Konami and EA to figure out that we (hardcore players) are not happy with the kind of gameplay their games are played online.

For God'sake, is it hard to create a new match marking dedicated for those experienced players who want a more realistics game, with longer lenth time, Top AI level, harder passing, slower pace, harder tackling, realistic and fair refs and real impact on staminia and fatigue system ?

The gran turismo 5 online is fully adjustable, is someone created a room with the setting you would like to play, then you enjoy or you creat for your own. Even the arcadey Fps games on the market (like cod's) have their special matchmarking for more experienced players where there are no radar.

My main concerns are still on the fatigue and staminia system. I know that the huge improvements on dribling, responsiveness controls and Ai teammates all together will make much easier to deal with pressure whores (at least that's what i hope so), but that doesn't mean that a proper fatigue/staminia are not needed.

and what about the super cancel, do we need it like in pes2011?

and does it work properly (in pes2011 u have many situation super cancel just doesnt work)

I can say with much confidence, that knowing Mr. Trebuchet a bit as I do, this is an astoundingly positive write up.

I dont think I've ever heard you as positive about anything before Treb. :LOL:

Great write up though, for once it touches on what most of us PES purists (yeah I'm putting people of like mind to myself in that bracket, deal with it ;) ) want to hear about the upcoming release, rather than how they've added pitchside camera man or what new licenses they have etc... Thanks.

and what about the super cancel, do we need it like in pes2011?

and does it work properly (in pes2011 u have many situation super cancel just doesnt work)

Of course Rod can answer you this question much better then me, but what i've read so far is that super cancel are less useful than it is in pes 2011 because you have more control over players.

Back
Top Bottom