Ripping DVD to iTunes

Tim7

Retired Footballer
6 May 2003
Gravesend
Charlton Athletic FC
Right, first of all, this is completely legal as I own the DVDs I want to rip. Basically a few years ago I bought my missus the Friends boxset, all 10 seasons. Now I would like to back them up and put them onto my iTunes. I've got a good program to do this, Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum 5, and it does do the job.

However, one very very annoying thing about it is that the ripped files audio is out of sync to the video! So when you play it back it looks like a badly dubbed film. It's only about half a second to a second out of sync, but just enough to annoy me and make it look crap as their lips move when they're not talking etc.

I just wondered if anyone knows of any solutions for this? Or possibly a better ripping program I should invest in at all?

Cheers for any help :TU:.

Tried HandBrake but it doesn't work as it says it can't read the source as it's protected :((.

You should be able to set the Audio offset in Xilisoft when ripping. I've not used that in a good while but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the ripping options.
It could potentially be the quality you're trying to use as well though, are you trying to keep it as high as possible?

Edit: It could also be the medi player you're using to try and watch them. Are you by any chance trying to use iTunes?

Last edited:
Yes I was playing them in iTunes, could be my mistake I guess. The quality, I wasn't selecting the highest setting, the profile I went for was just the ordinary iPhone profile (MP4 and about 420 x 380 res). I've got another ripper that is currently ripping as we post, so I'll see how that turns out too.

Hmmm, see how it goes then. If you have VLC give them a go in that and see if you have the same issues.
I remember having some problems with certain things when recoding them for my phone a while back, I'd use the same settings exactly, but like you sometimes some of the files would be out of sync. No real reason for it either, just annoying.

Well, I decided to keep browsing the world wide web for ripping software, and came across DVD Pean Pro. Got it and it works a treat! Each episode of Friends (21mins) is about 95MB, which is fantastic - most other rips were around 135MB per episode! It's easily watchable quality too, and the audio and video is synced fine :)).

Watched Seinfeld a few times and it's far better than Friends.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is the best though :D

Back
Top Bottom