1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Ripping DVD to iTunes

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Tim7, 17 January 2009.

1. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Right, first of all, this is completely legal as I own the DVDs I want to rip. Basically a few years ago I bought my missus the Friends boxset, all 10 seasons. Now I would like to back them up and put them onto my iTunes. I've got a good program to do this, Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum 5, and it does do the job.

However, one very very annoying thing about it is that the ripped files audio is out of sync to the video! So when you play it back it looks like a badly dubbed film. It's only about half a second to a second out of sync, but just enough to annoy me and make it look crap as their lips move when they're not talking etc.

I just wondered if anyone knows of any solutions for this? Or possibly a better ripping program I should invest in at all?

Cheers for any help :TU:.

2. ash

ash DeMinistrator

21 March 2004
    London
    Man Utd
    It is actually illegal even if you own the DVD.

Have you got Mac OSX or Windows?

3. Hello

Hello Drop D, Not Bombs

4 August 2006
    Err umm i dont know to be honest
    Arsenal
  4. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Is it really?! Blimey. I'm on Windows XP by the way.

Cheers mate, will do :)).

5. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Tried HandBrake but it doesn't work as it says it can't read the source as it's protected :((.

6. Dar

Dar Fullonrapist Staff

21 February 2003
    Dublin
    You should be able to set the Audio offset in Xilisoft when ripping. I've not used that in a good while but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the ripping options.
    It could potentially be the quality you're trying to use as well though, are you trying to keep it as high as possible?

Edit: It could also be the medi player you're using to try and watch them. Are you by any chance trying to use iTunes?

Last edited: 17 January 2009
  7. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Yes I was playing them in iTunes, could be my mistake I guess. The quality, I wasn't selecting the highest setting, the profile I went for was just the ordinary iPhone profile (MP4 and about 420 x 380 res). I've got another ripper that is currently ripping as we post, so I'll see how that turns out too.

8. Dar

Dar Fullonrapist Staff

21 February 2003
    Dublin
    Hmmm, see how it goes then. If you have VLC give them a go in that and see if you have the same issues.
    I remember having some problems with certain things when recoding them for my phone a while back, I'd use the same settings exactly, but like you sometimes some of the files would be out of sync. No real reason for it either, just annoying.

9. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Well, I decided to keep browsing the world wide web for ripping software, and came across DVD Pean Pro. Got it and it works a treat! Each episode of Friends (21mins) is about 95MB, which is fantastic - most other rips were around 135MB per episode! It's easily watchable quality too, and the audio and video is synced fine :)).

10. mjsmith2k

mjsmith2k Come on you Reds!

5 November 2005
    Nottingham
    Forest, Bulls, Patriots
    All this effort for Friends..

:ROLL:

11. ash

ash DeMinistrator

21 March 2004
    London
    Man Utd
    You did not say that!

12. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    :TU:

13. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    Oh FFS.

14. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Friends is probably the best sitcom ever.

15. Dar

Dar Fullonrapist Staff

21 February 2003
    Dublin
    I see your Friends and raise you one Seinfeld. Case Closed. :BYE:

(I do feel dirty even comparing the two though, apologies to all Seinfeld fans)

16. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Never watched it, never will :BYE:.

17. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    Watched Seinfeld a few times and it's far better than Friends.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is the best though :D

18. Joe

Joe International

9 August 2004
    Gayest thread ever

Tim you can have my smiley

19. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd

:LMAO: