PS3 Slowdown - an intresting discovery - Proof that the TV factors!!!

Me either. sadly, buying one appears to be our only option!

Just make sure you buy one that you know is compatible mate. My Wharfedale 42" Plasma HD is terrible on the PS3 version and the 360 is alot better but still has frame-rate issues.

I haven't played it on anything other than this setup;

SONY 50" HD LCD Rear projector and PS3 set to 720p through HDMI, game installed onto the HDD and PES08 on as full details possible, camera always set to wide(shame you can't adjust the angle anymore) and stadiums, weather and everything else set on random and I honestly have not noticed a single bit of lag in gameplay apart from online.

In certain areas I have noticed one or two skips in framerate but it is no different to the 360 and PC versions. The replays aren't all that bad either, the players seem to be moving at double speed but I get the same thing across all platforms, too.

I haven't played it on anything other than this setup;

SONY 50" HD LCD Rear projector and PS3 set to 720p through HDMI, game installed onto the HDD and PES08 on as full details possible, camera always set to wide(shame you can't adjust the angle anymore) and stadiums, weather and everything else set on random and I honestly have not noticed a single bit of lag in gameplay apart from online.

In certain areas I have noticed one or two skips in framerate but it is no different to the 360 and PC versions. The replays aren't all that bad either, the players seem to be moving at double speed but I get the same thing across all platforms, too.

Personally I'm not surprised in the slightest you dont have any problems with that Sony T.V. The frame-rate refresh on that badboy will be brilliant, and probably the type of T.V. Konami tested the game on.

Last edited:
Apparently there seems to be something else that can help matters. I have tried the following on my Samsung 32" LCD HDTV and can honestly say that it's improved the framerate issues both in game and during replays.

The fix is to go to your settings on the XMB and turn the HDMI(Full colours) option to Limited.

not sure if this matters either but i know a couple of us over here in the US that have the game and have no problems with this issue. I'm running mine on a sharp aquos. Something else i thought of and its probably a crap thought (but its 8am over here so its too early for good ideas) but assuming that konami developed the game on a jap ps3. Well i seem to remember that the jap and US version of the ps3 had a certain chip - that for the euro version they replaced with software - could this be contributing to the problems??

No, it was the emotion engine they removed in the PAL consoles, the emotion engine is what runs PS2 games on a PS3 console using hardware emulation, and rather than fit PAL consoles with the EE, they decided to save money and do away with it and gave us software emulation instead. It's worse than hardware emulation and the compatibility is dire, too.

It has nothing to do with the running of PS3 games, although it is said that if you turn off the emulation options(PS2 smoothing and upscaling) it will help PS3 games run smoother. I don't see how it works but people claim it does. Personally, I have smoothing on and upscaling set to normal, doesn't do no harm for me on any game.

I've got some framerate issues on my SD TV, a Sony KV-32FQ86.
Digital Plus or Adv. Motion didn't change anything.
It appears that if you're stuck in 576(p or i), the game isn't as good as in 720p. So it's the case for the whole SD TV...
I'll give a try on my mother Sony HDTV KDL-32S2510 this week-end as it goes to 1366x768.

Ive just purchased a PS3 and PES and i am utterly shocked that the slowdown in game offline makes the game unplayable. Does anyone have a quick fix. Im playing on a standard Panasonic television. Am i going to have to buy a HDTV to play this game!!!

i have a standard 32 inch goodmans widescreen tv....i have no slowdowns and havent touched anything i.e remove stadium effects etc, only in replay it a bit jittery.

I have a hitachi 26" hdtv and i had bad frame rates online and off! installed game to hd and playing offline now is perfect! However online is an utter joke, jumping all over the place, and to be honest, thats what i bought the game for, online gaming! raging!!!

i have 50" Panasonic Rear Projection 1080i only. no framerate issues at all apart from some skips during replays and such. im playing the demo by the way.
the only gripe i have about the demo is it doesn't upscale from 720p to 1080i (PS3). can anyone see if the final game upscales from 720p to 1080i? thats the only thin stopping me from buying the game.

Ok, i've tested with the couple HDTV-HDMI and everything run smooth.
So, if you're not in 720p, the game isn't really good...

on a german forum someone posted a tip which resolved the slowndowns and stuttering for him (even in replays!):

some ps3 have some ps2-optimization options (e.g. edge smoothing etc).
try setting all these "optimizations" to "off" and "sound input" to "bitstream".

Here's what i did, i installed the game on hdd and i was having a slightly slowdown, i turned off effects and commentary and still same, i changed the display to 720p and still slowdown, i was playing with the broadcasting camera, i changed it to wide, and since then i've had no slowdown, and i turned effects on and commentary on and no slowdown, i guess it was the camera

Back
Top Bottom