PS3 Slowdown - an intresting discovery - Proof that the TV factors!!!

martd

League 2
10 June 2002
Lymington, UK
Right!!!!

Now as some of you will know I played the PS3 version on my friend's 44" SD rear projector.
Frame Rate was awful. Juddering all over the place.

Installed it onto the HDD and, although improved, the juddering movement was still VERY aparent!!

I had my own theory straight away regarding different TVs so I decided to reserve my final judgement until i'd tried a couple more TVs.
Namely my 40" Samsung HDTV and my GF's 32" Argos (cant beat 'em ;) ) HDTV.

I have now run a test on my 40" Samsung using the Orange Arena and the Bernabau (sorry if thats spelt wrong)

Not a stutter to be seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It played like a dream!
Replays are still shite but the game itself played like a different game!!

I turned on Stadium Effects in the Bernabau to TRY to get a stutter.
I think I may have seen a few slight jitters but I had to concentrate.

If anyone has any ideas of what I can try to try to prove any theories then please let me know and i'll give it a go.

For now - I'm a happy Pro Evo 2008 owner (on 360 AND PS3!!!) :)

(BTW I was Spurs vs Birmingham in all games. In case that makes a difference!)

set ps3 to 720P in the settings on PS3
install to disk
remove stadium effects
skip intro scenes

ON the PS3

disable search for mediaserver (in settings)

Ive yet to see what the fuss is about. a little jerky online but a lot of people havent forwarded the ports (even tho it doesnt mention this anywhere).

So just to be extra sure I turned off UPnP and enabled the following port forwarding like the guy said:
TCP : 443,5223,10070-10080
UDP: 3478-3479, 3658, 10070

youll notice faster sign in times too :)

This all helps to make it faster and slicker

Am I the only one finding it gets less jumpy the more you play after installing to HDD?

Could this possibly be due to cache increasing with each new team/stadium used?

i have an acoustic soloutions hd tv from argos and i am not seeing any framerate issues at all. i have not installed the game on the hdd either. it must be something to do with the t.v. i must say i was fearing the worst before i got the game. the only thing i think is crap is the results of the face scanning with the ps2 eyetoy. it makes you look like a dead body

can someone tell me how I install this onto the HDD please?

I have been playing this on my Sony Bravia HDTV, and have noticed a bit of slowdown in game :(

I'm sorry but trying a game on different tv's to try and elimanate slowdown is a piss take. The PS3 is going to go the way of the Sega Saturn unless game developers grasp how to program properly for it.

Playing a football game with only 15 stadiums and then having to resort to only playing a few stadius to minimise lag is just not good enough.......

Konami should be ashamed. The year is 2007. 8-way run mechanism belongs on the snes or megadrive. Analog sticks have been around since the N64 days, so please Konami, do us all a favour and actually utilise them.

I'm sorry but I refuse to lower or turn off any in game settings just to try and sort this problem out. The problem exists on my Panasonic TH42PX600 but isn't as bad as some are claiming, however it is still there most notably in cut scenes and replays, occasionally in game.

This is 2007. This is "next gen". The PS3 is supposed to be the most powerful console to ever grace this tiny planet of ours, yet here we are with a game from a high profile developer and its got some serious issues.

Reduce settings? Install to HDD? This is the whole reason I stopped PC gaming about a year ago! To avoid this shit.

I'm sorry but I refuse to lower or turn off any in game settings just to try and sort this problem out. The problem exists on my Panasonic TH42PX600 but isn't as bad as some are claiming, however it is still there most notably in cut scenes and replays, occasionally in game.

This is 2007. This is "next gen". The PS3 is supposed to be the most powerful console to ever grace this tiny planet of ours, yet here we are with a game from a high profile developer and its got some serious issues.

Reduce settings? Install to HDD? This is the whole reason I stopped PC gaming about a year ago! To avoid this shit.

The first PES on next gen always had slowdown and framerate problem, if you're angry about it, you shouldnt have bought the first version as I said already.

The first PES on next gen always had slowdown and framerate problem, if you're angry about it, you shouldnt have bought the first version as I said already.
Sorry Kimky, that's turning the world upside down...the game should be perfect no matter what television you got...

I heard that konami its working on a patch to solve this problems...
i hope it will be released soon

Kimky, please stop it with your clairvoyance gift.
They should have not released it then or at least postpone the release date.
Or simply offer it as a beta version of an alpha demo.

If you as a simple gamer knew it would suck, Sony as Konami would have known it and not betting their pennies on a PES2008/PS3 pack.

And it's probably more a disaster for Sony than Konami as it won't help to sell their next-gen console when kids will see the lags on TV shops.

Last edited:
The first day i played PES2008 i never really was bothered about the framerate issue in the replays and the slight suttering during gameplay...mainly because i was just glad to be playing a new PES game.

It's now two days later and i'm getting a little bit pissed with the slight stuttering and the framerate issue (despite installing the game data on the HDD)!

slowdown in this day and age is totally unacceptable... there can be no excuses made for seabass... slowdown = you failed at your job

I have a ORION 26" HD LCD TV & I very rarely have framerate problems. The replays are messed up though. I never watch to be honest.

set ps3 to 720P in the settings on PS3
install to disk
remove stadium effects
skip intro scenes

ON the PS3

disable search for mediaserver (in settings)

Ive yet to see what the fuss is about. a little jerky online but a lot of people havent forwarded the ports (even tho it doesnt mention this anywhere).

So just to be extra sure I turned off UPnP and enabled the following port forwarding like the guy said:
TCP : 443,5223,10070-10080
UDP: 3478-3479, 3658, 10070

youll notice faster sign in times too :)

This all helps to make it faster and slicker

how do u forward ports?

how do u forward ports?

in you router you will have the option to forward ports.

Basically what it is doing is passing traffic that hits your router for one of the said ports directly to your PS3 ip address. You need to make the PS3 have a static IP address tho

www.portforward.com has router help for your router.

A static ip address is one you enter manually.

you could goto network settings in the ps3 and view the current :-

ip address
subnet mask
default gateway
nameserver (DNS) address

write them down if your currently using DHCP

set it to static using the stuff you just wrote down.

reboot both after changes to be sure

you should notice better speeds on PSN login and othe network related stuff...

The PS3 will be fantastic once the teams that program on it learn how to adapt to it. From what I've heard, Sony haven't exactly been forthcoming with their support, with development kits being in short supply (and the same with Sony's development advisors - I forget their official job title).

So some companies will know how to work with it and produce fantastic games, others will struggle, and Konami (who are porting from the PC rather than designing from scratch, which always ensures the best code) will struggle like hell.

EA scrapped and redesigned their football game two years ago and now it's immensely playable. If Konami did that, and then went one better by scrapping the last-gen games as well and devoting those guys to the next-gen version, the next few PES games would be fantastic.

But keeping the game the same equals less work, selling on multiple formats equals more money, and Konami is just a business - like any other. So it won't happen.

What I have also thought of is what camera angles are people playing on?

If I play on the standard normal long then I get next to no frame rate issues. But if I choose Wide then that is where all the trouble is.

So I think people need to say what camera angle they are playing from before saying if they do or do not have any issues.

Just a thought :)

Back
Top Bottom