PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

But i’m only playing a League so stats will remain the same. Teamwork and other stats will only increase in ML.

In PES5/WE9 Teamwork also increased in leagues & cups. you can check it in the player stats page, play a game and then check again, it will be higher (up to a certain limit ofc). It's a different mechanic from ML where the player's stat doesn't increase directly and it's only visible in your Teamwork-Lineup-screen thing.

Yes i will try a more defensive approach.

How about this one?
11u86ki.png

counters well too.

Tottenham also in the works.
I'm quickly running out of teams I know well enough to do tactics for.

The combination of auto-attack + defensive formation allows solid defense while still retaining that attacking punch. It's good for quick hitting teams, still have to test it for possession oriented ones like City/BVB/Napoli.

In PES5, Counter Attack & Pressure could be changed with the ingame editor. I will double check later.

Unfortunately this one only has D-Line & offside Trap. I believe it's the same with PES6. No idea why they'd remove these options.

I have to admit guys that Top Player is broken. :(

I played Hull v Burton (me) and Hull were like a team possessed. Nothing to do with tactics as the players kept running straight at me, winning tackles, then going on a dribble before either scoring or missing. They were about 4-0 up at one point when twice their CB started dribbling round my defence to shoot. This is how anything after 2008 plays on PS2.

So i quit the game, ate my pride, and dropped down to Professional where it was more balanced although i still lost. So Professional is where i will do any testing. ;)

I have to admit guys that Top Player is broken. :(

I played Hull v Burton (me) and Hull were like a team possessed. Nothing to do with tactics as the players kept running straight at me, winning tackles, then going on a dribble before either scoring or missing. They were about 4-0 up at one point when twice their CB started dribbling round my defence to shoot. This is how anything after 2008 plays on PS2.

So i quit the game, ate my pride, and dropped down to Professional where it was more balanced although i still lost. So Professional is where i will do any testing. ;)

I still have hope AI dribbling can be stopped with proper defending technique. I'm starting to figure out how not to get overrun, admittedly on Professional though. A mistimed (standing) tackle attempt leaves tackler totally out of the picture and opens up huge amount of space behind him.I saw you struggling with this too in your videos. My strategy now is to back up, stay in front of the dribbler and wait for help. Quite often they'll foolishly attempt to still sprint past you and then you can cut them off and win the ball without any button use. It's hard though.

fmicablues7 said:
game stutters on emulator
Just stumbled upon something that pretty much eliminated all stuttering in my EU game:
config -> video -> window settings -> Zoom = 0
My EU game is somehow widescreen, this won't work if your monitor's aspect ratio doesn't match the game's, as it will zoom in and crop the image. It didn't do anything noticeable to the 4:3 US version.

Tactics

2802ie1.png

Not sure how Alli plays. Scouting reports welcome. Is his running aggressive enough for the SS role? It works much better than AM for this particular tactic.

34rcc37.png

Alaba 2.0
Wendell for the win!!

I hope it's okay to hijack this thread with all the tactics pics.

I found CBs don't join the attack for corners no matter if they have arrows or not, but they also don't join in open play so there should be no harm leaving the diagonal arrows in, afaik they don't do anything.
Have you ever seen any team with more than 3 players in the box for a corner? Always three for me. Weird.

I still have hope AI dribbling can be stopped with proper defending technique. I'm starting to figure out how not to get overrun, admittedly on Professional though. A mistimed (standing) tackle attempt leaves tackler totally out of the picture and opens up huge amount of space behind him.I saw you struggling with this too in your videos. My strategy now is to back up, stay in front of the dribbler and wait for help. Quite often they'll foolishly attempt to still sprint past you and then you can cut them off and win the ball without any button use. It's hard though.

Just stumbled upon something that pretty much eliminated all stuttering in my EU game:
config -> video -> window settings -> Zoom = 0
My EU game is somehow widescreen, this won't work if your monitor's aspect ratio doesn't match the game's, as it will zoom in and crop the image. It didn't do anything noticeable to the 4:3 US version.

Tactics

2802ie1.png

Not sure how Alli plays. Scouting reports welcome. Is his running aggressive enough for the SS role? It works much better than AM for this particular tactic.

34rcc37.png

Alaba 2.0
Wendell for the win!!

I hope it's okay to hijack this thread with all the tactics pics.

I found CBs don't join the attack for corners no matter if they have arrows or not, but they also don't join in open play so there should be no harm leaving the diagonal arrows in, afaik they don't do anything.
Have you ever seen any team with more than 3 players in the box for a corner? Always three for me. Weird.

Regarding the dribbling i was coping with some teams okish so then they decided to do the wings and mix it up a bit. But since the Aston Villa v Hull game where they scored 4 similar goals, they have been trying it more often. Its not just that, its when i win the ball it goes straight back to them about 90% of the time. Its as if they have suddenly become overpowered and my players have become sluggish regardless of what team. But dropping down to Prof has helped that problem.

Regarding tactics yes its fine to post on here. Is it possible to do some more general tactics? For example, Pressing, Passing, Middle, Wide, Lower Team, Top Team, Attacking, Defending. I know it depends on the players but thought it would be a good idea to add to each team as i go along. To give it more variety.

Thanks for the Spurs tactic, i havent tried it yet but your old one had Ali playing in the right way and he was a SS. He gets into the box a lot and connects well with Kane and Erikson.

I will check the CB count the next time i play.

I'm confused now i always played top player difficulty in pes 2008, does that mean professionnal is more realistic (less dribbling from cpu)?

I tried the tweak in pcsx2 with the zoom to 0, it did nothing noticeable imo, i saw you had a 10xx Nvidia graphic card though, i only have a 670GTX so maybe that's why.

Offside Trap A

I discovered the Offside Trap A team setting is the same thing as 'Line Defense' from PES5/WE9. (In the defensive phase) it keeps your defenders in a narrow line and chains them together no matter how far apart their positions are in the tactics screen. This enables possession oriented teams to spread their CBs and SBs far apart for an easier build-up. Take a look at the Roma 4-3-3 below.
Like with Line Defense there some problems with deep midfielders joining the backline which destroys your midfield shape.

I'm also applying Auto-Attack to every single team. Only teams that shouldn't use it are those who park the bus and only ever attack with their strikers, never with midfield runners. Does any team even play like that permanently?

2 other general tactics rules:
- never assign the Counter-attack strategy if you want your forwards to defend even a little and come deep for passes into their feet sometimes.
- careful with assigning the Pressure strategy. Teams using it will hound the ball carrier which can drag their shape apart, open lots of space and expose the backline. The whole team needs to be set up right for that strategy.
- both these strategies are not used situationally by the AI, they are on permanently.

when i win the ball it goes straight back to them about 90% of the time.

I had the same experience. It helps to have multiple defenders around when you commit to the tackle, so hopefully one of them is in position to pounce on the ball. AI definitely punishes gung-ho attacking approaches that leave your CBs exposed.

Regarding tactics yes its fine to post on here. Is it possible to do some more general tactics? For example, Pressing, Passing, Middle, Wide, Lower Team, Top Team, Attacking, Defending. I know it depends on the players but thought it would be a good idea to add to each team as i go along. To give it more variety.

I'll try.
How about these?
2j1aqa9.png

4-2-3-1, intense press, narrow, quick attacks with wide strikers and a goal poaching CF. commonly found in German football the last few years until everybody and their grandmas switched to a back 5 and man-marking this season.

Replace the LWF with another SS if you want 2 strikers on the wing instead of striker+winger.
The arrows on the CM are my 'playmaker arrows'. I use them on playmakers to restrict their movement a bit so they don't constantly make attacking runs into the final third.

9bm5v5.png

4-4-2, midfield press, short passing with deep forwards.

8vqakh.png

4-4-2, deep press, wing attacks

5dt8ck.png

4-3-3, attack focused, soft defense, possession oriented, wide strikers

Right SS is set up as a scorer.
left SS is set up as a playmaker-scorer.

I tried the tweak in pcsx2 with the zoom to 0, it did nothing noticeable imo, i saw you had a 10xx Nvidia graphic card though, i only have a 670GTX so maybe that's why.

Yeah once I quit and restarted pcsx2 some stuttering came back. Performance is highly inconsistent for me, but nicely playable. That once instance when I first set the zoom to 0 was perfectly smooth though.. :DD

have you tried Direct3D 9? maybe that works for you.
I play with 3x native resolution now, there is no performance difference to 2x.
Not convinced the graphics card has to work a lot for this game, I suspect it mostly stresses the cpu.

I'm confused now i always played top player difficulty in pes 2008, does that mean professionnal is more realistic (less dribbling from cpu)?

Top Player is the highest level and recently for me the CPU has been dribbling none stop and very aggresive in tackling and getting the loose balls. I even changed their team’s tactics to left and right side attack and it still kept dribbling through the middle. What’s annoying is that it was fine up until about 5 matches ago.

I have dropped down to Prof now and the CPU dribbles a bit less and more varied but ive been finding it slightly easier now.

Offside Trap A

I discovered the Offside Trap A team setting is the same thing as 'Line Defense' from PES5/WE9. (In the defensive phase) it keeps your defenders in a narrow line and chains them together no matter how far apart their positions are in the tactics screen. This enables possession oriented teams to spread their CBs and SBs far apart for an easier build-up. Take a look at the Roma 4-3-3 below.
Like with Line Defense there some problems with deep midfielders joining the backline which destroys your midfield shape.

I'm also applying Auto-Attack to every single team. Only teams that shouldn't use it are those who park the bus and only ever attack with their strikers, never with midfield runners. Does any team even play like that permanently?

2 other general tactics rules:
- never assign the Counter-attack strategy if you want your forwards to defend even a little and come deep for passes into their feet sometimes.
- careful with assigning the Pressure strategy. Teams using it will hound the ball carrier which can drag their shape apart, open lots of space and expose the backline. The whole team needs to be set up right for that strategy.
- both these strategies are not used situationally by the AI, they are on permanently.

I had the same experience. It helps to have multiple defenders around when you commit to the tackle, so hopefully one of them is in position to pounce on the ball. AI definitely punishes gung-ho attacking approaches that leave your CBs exposed.

I'll try.
How about these?
2j1aqa9.png

4-2-3-1, intense press, narrow, quick attacks with wide strikers and a goal poaching CF. commonly found in German football the last few years until everybody and their grandmas switched to a back 5 and man-marking this season.

Replace the LWF with another SS if you want 2 strikers on the wing instead of striker+winger.
The arrows on the CM are my 'playmaker arrows'. I use them on playmakers to restrict their movement a bit so they don't constantly make attacking runs into the final third.

9bm5v5.png

4-4-2, midfield press, short passing with deep forwards.

8vqakh.png

4-4-2, deep press, wing attacks

5dt8ck.png

4-3-3, attack focused, soft defense, possession oriented, wide strikers

Right SS is set up as a scorer.
left SS is set up as a playmaker-scorer.

Yeah once I quit and restarted pcsx2 some stuttering came back. Performance is highly inconsistent for me, but nicely playable. That once instance when I first set the zoom to 0 was perfectly smooth though.. :DD

have you tried Direct3D 9? maybe that works for you.
I play with 3x native resolution now, there is no performance difference to 2x.
Not convinced the graphics card has to work a lot for this game, I suspect it mostly stresses the cpu.

I have to say Chenghis you really do come up with some top tips. Thanks i will esperiment with what you are saying.

Thanks for the formations too.

I have to say Chenghis you really do come up with some top tips. Thanks i will esperiment with what you are saying.

Thanks for the formations too.

Well if you hadn't dug up this game I wouldn't be playing pes right now.
thanks though.

I'm playing a league with all the teams I've done tactics for (13) and as Atletico I'm having some decent success defending in numbers (on professional). Puzzles me that Godin keeps losing headers to the likes of Aguero & Raffael though.
City was head and shoulders above the rest of the teams I've played so far, totally dominating me. First they camped out in my half which in itself is something I didn't see in WE9, then they won every loose ball and kept beating me with dribbles. Once they had a comfortable 2-0 lead, they proceeded to carve me open on the counter. Marvellous performance. I was helpless. notice the shot count (15min game).
10hj8jl.png

Here is that City team:
8z0749.png

extremely attacking, but so far it's working. have to watch the space in behind the RWB though.

Offside trap A news (my Atleti has Offside Trap A):
I encountered some problems while protecting a lead. During the 2nd half my A/D level went down as usual (when leading) and my defenders would drop incredibly deep without the ball. They were camping out in my own box when the ball was in the centre circle! That left vast spaces in front of them and is all in all horrible. I'll have to watch that, maybe Offside Trap A is too problematic to use after all. Have to get a lead first tho.. :ANX: :DD

Well if you hadn't dug up this game I wouldn't be playing pes right now.
thanks though.

I'm playing a league with all the teams I've done tactics for (13) and as Atletico I'm having some decent success defending in numbers (on professional). Puzzles me that Godin keeps losing headers to the likes of Aguero & Raffael though.
City was head and shoulders above the rest of the teams I've played so far, totally dominating me. First they camped out in my half which in itself is something I didn't see in WE9, then they won every loose ball and kept beating me with dribbles. Once they had a comfortable 2-0 lead, they proceeded to carve me open on the counter. Marvellous performance. I was helpless. notice the shot count (15min game).
10hj8jl.png

Here is that City team:
8z0749.png

extremely attacking, but so far it's working. have to watch the space in behind the RWB though.

Offside trap A news (my Atleti has Offside Trap A):
I encountered some problems while protecting a lead. During the 2nd half my A/D level went down as usual (when leading) and my defenders would drop incredibly deep without the ball. They were camping out in my own box when the ball was in the centre circle! That left vast spaces in front of them and is all in all horrible. I'll have to watch that, maybe Offside Trap A is too problematic to use after all. Have to get a lead first tho.. :ANX: :DD

The AI is definitely more lethal in attack compared to the older games. Do you leave the AD levels on auto? Even when you are in control?

I played as Sheff Wed v QPR yesterday and used your tactic set up. 442 combination for Shef and 433 attacking for QPR. I kept it on Professional and have to say it was a really tough match. 15 mins game but only about 5 shots each. Toughest game i have had on Prof and i lost 0-1. Not sure though if it was going to be that type of game anyway.

I felt sorry for Rhodes as he had scored 2 goals in the previous game but was left out of this game because i did an ‘automatic sort’ and he doesn't have the SS position. :P

The AI is definitely more lethal in attack compared to the older games. Do you leave the AD levels on auto? Even when you are in control?

I played as Sheff Wed v QPR yesterday and used your tactic set up. 442 combination for Shef and 433 attacking for QPR. I kept it on Professional and have to say it was a really tough match. 15 mins game but only about 5 shots each. Toughest game i have had on Prof and i lost 0-1. Not sure though if it was going to be that type of game anyway.

I felt sorry for Rhodes as he had scored 2 goals in the previous game but was left out of this game because i did an ‘automatic sort’ and he doesn't have the SS position. :P

I have every team on Auto-Attack, even the one I control, yes. I'm not accustomed to changing the a/d levels manually and would most likely forget to do so if I had to during a match. Right now I even leave the strategies on auto, only do it manually when I really care about the result, so in an ML.

Thanks for trying out some tactics. Lots of games turn into defensive battles for me, as my tactics help def. positioning for both sides compared to default. I love it because I have to break the AI down using real life football methods instead of quickly passing it up the field and running at an unprotected back line.

The thing with my tactics is you have to edit every player's playable positions to fit in. There are strikers who could play in the 442 combination but won't get picked by auto-sort or AI because they don't have the SS position or don't have it as their default position. Same with wingers that should play but don't have AM. On the other hand an Inzaghi type poacher couldn't realistically play well in this tactic anyway, no matter if given SS or not. I realize shaking up positions messes with ML transfers a bit but it surely plays better than using SM & CF roles in that 442 for example.

I also delete positions for players that can play them naturally but shouldn't in their team's particular tactic. In case of Napoli below I wouldn't ever want Insigne to be picked as a SS on the right nor Callejon or Hamsik as AM on the left, so those positions go in the bin. For City, De Bruyne & David Silva need CM as their main position (and shouldn't have SS) etc. etc.

28stzbo.png

A one-sided team if there ever has been one.

still have some concerns on the midfield protecting the CBs well vs leaving too much space between the lines..

Makes sense Chenghis.

What difference is between WF and SS in the game?

A WF is a pure crosser, a SS is more of a striker/scorer.

Playing a game with or against my Hamburg 4-2-3-1 should hopefully show the difference as it uses both roles.

A WF moves wide, close to the touchline in possession, even if he is positioned centrally on the tactics screen. When he has the ball, he looks to dribble down the flank and cross the ball.

A SS positions himself in more varied ways, sometimes times moves wide, at times comes inside. Arrows and positioning make a bigger difference for SSs. With the ball, the SS will dribble, pass, shoot according to his stats compared to the focus on dribbling wide & crossing for the WF. He's like an AM with more focus on scoring, or a CF looking for space & combination play instead of attracting the ball and holding it with a defender on his back.

The most important difference is probably that the SS is looking to make off-the-ball runs into the penalty area regularly so he's a target for through balls & crosses. Think Ronaldo, Griezmann or Callejon.

PES WFs like Kostic are rare in modern football, as wingers are usually either scorers or playmakers. SBs have become the crossers (or rather the crossers have become SBs). In newer PESs WFs can cut inside and shoot with the Incisive Run/Prolific Winger traits, but I haven't seen that happen in 2008.

The difference between SM & AM is very similar but they also differ defensively while SS/WF don't as far as I know.

A centrally positioned WF can be a good choice if you want someone to attack wide but defend centrally, like Sterling for Liverpool in 2014, though he may have been more of a midfielder.

Interesting things. I wonder though if giving the "centre" star to a WF, would work like the incisive run on newer pes ?
I tried the manchester city tactic by playing against them with Chelsea. They also camp out in my half, it seems the cpu is much more competent for playing possession game in pes 2008 than it was in pes 5/we9. Have you got a Chelsea tactic btw ? Can't figure out if Hazard would be more realistic with AM or SS position...

Interesting things. I wonder though if giving the "centre" star to a WF, would work like the incisive run on newer pes ?

Hey, are you still on PSP or did the emulator work out for you?

Sadly that won't work. Side & Centre stars are tendencies for off-ball movement, nothing to do with dribbling. Not even sure if centre star works on a WF as he's hardcoded to stay wide most of the time. I believe it's also more horizontal than diagonal movement.

I tried the manchester city tactic by playing against them with Chelsea. They also camp out in my half, it seems the cpu is much more competent for playing possession game in pes 2008 than it was in pes 5/we9.

Yeah I was really suprised and impressed by that (and frustrated, I wanted to win!). Aside from AI competence in possession I find it much harder to actually win the ball from them, they evade most tackles. In turn the AI itself is still superb at tackling, even from behind. It's a challenge!

Have you got a Chelsea tactic btw ? Can't figure out if Hazard would be more realistic with AM or SS position...

Puuhh, I don't follow Chelsea, have seen maybe 1 match. I'll post a generic 5-3-2 sooner rather than later and Chelsea should be very similar. Except for Hazard incidentally, he's playing as a Trequartista behind Advanced Forward Morata, right?
I'd set him up exactly like Griezmann, deep SS with high defense, so he plays between the lines. Then diagonal forward arrows so he kinda pops up everywhere and makes some attacking runs into the box, although I'm not sure how often he performs those IRL. Maybe he's hanging back around the midfield more but that wouldn't make too much sense tactically with only Morata in front of him and no high-aggression midfielders (aka auxiliary strikers like Perrotta/Matuidi). As AM his goal threat would be poor I fear.

High defense + deep positioning are the only tools that force him deeper in possession, backwards arrows are unfortunately not "run backwards/come short" instructions, but rather "run forward less often" (same for aggression kinda).

Maybe *Side star is a good idea, for some wing 1 v 1s.

Hey, are you still on PSP or did the emulator work out for you?

Sadly that won't work. Side & Centre stars are tendencies for off-ball movement, nothing to do with dribbling. Not even sure if centre star works on a WF as he's hardcoded to stay wide most of the time. I believe it's also more horizontal than diagonal movement.

Yeah I was really suprised and impressed by that (and frustrated, I wanted to win!). Aside from AI competence in possession I find it much harder to actually win the ball from them, they evade most tackles. In turn the AI itself is still superb at tackling, even from behind. It's a challenge!

Puuhh, I don't follow Chelsea, have seen maybe 1 match. I'll post a generic 5-3-2 sooner rather than later and Chelsea should be very similar. Except for Hazard incidentally, he's playing as a Trequartista behind Advanced Forward Morata, right?
I'd set him up exactly like Griezmann, deep SS with high defense, so he plays between the lines. Then diagonal forward arrows so he kinda pops up everywhere and makes some attacking runs into the box, although I'm not sure how often he performs those IRL. Maybe he's hanging back around the midfield more but that wouldn't make too much sense tactically with only Morata in front of him and no high-aggression midfielders (aka auxiliary strikers like Perrotta/Matuidi). As AM his goal threat would be poor I fear.

High defense + deep positioning are the only tools that force him deeper in possession, backwards arrows are unfortunately not "run backwards/come short" instructions, but rather "run forward less often" (same for aggression kinda).

Maybe *Side star is a good idea, for some wing 1 v 1s.

Unfortunately, i'm still playing on the psp. It does work on the emulator though, it is just not fluid enough compared to the psp, so i keep coming back to it.

Thanks for the tactical tips. I will try these tactical settings for Hazard.

A bit off-topic, as i said before, i'm also playing pes 3 sometimes and i actually tried to implement your tactics in it. I applied the manchester city tactic to Galacticos Real Madrid (not really realistic, but it was just to test) and played against them with milan. I was amazed by the insane pressure they applied on me, i struggled a lot to build from the back, i couldn't reach the 2nd half of the pitch. Thankfully, they missed a lot of chances, and i could score on a counter attack with Andriy Shevchenko, which is a beast in this game.

Unfortunately, i'm still playing on the psp. It does work on the emulator though, it is just not fluid enough compared to the psp, so i keep coming back to it.

Thanks for the tactical tips. I will try these tactical settings for Hazard.

Soory to hear. I too have issues with responsiveness of controls sometimes, which is frustrating. playable nonetheless.

A bit off-topic, as i said before, i'm also playing pes 3 sometimes and i actually tried to implement your tactics in it. I applied the manchester city tactic to Galacticos Real Madrid (not really realistic, but it was just to test) and played against them with milan. I was amazed by the insane pressure they applied on me, i struggled a lot to build from the back, i couldn't reach the 2nd half of the pitch. Thankfully, they missed a lot of chances, and i could score on a counter attack with Andriy Shevchenko, which is a beast in this game.

My 1st PES. I loved that game, but barely any gameplay memories. I just remember not having a DVD drive and 'borrowing' my sister's and connecting it to my pc just to install that game, good times.
Happy of the effectiveness of Guardiola's tactics. 4 CMs + 3 forwards without neglecting the wings defensively seems like a great move.
Is that game just hard or actually better than later games? if yes, in which ways?

Chengis can you upload your latest of?

sure, here.

Not sure why you'd want it tho. It's just the updated laziale OF with some tactics and a few player edits. Almost all of the tactics are already posted in this thread, although I updated some since posting.
the others are Schalke + first drafts of Real & Chelsea. none of those play well yet.
I'm waiting for geeeee to start a proper of.
If you want the WE9 OF, I don't think I changed anything since the last upload.

On another note, I found a classic teams OF by Laziale from 2014. Player stats seem too high, but interesting nonetheless.

Soory to hear. I too have issues with responsiveness of controls sometimes, which is frustrating. playable nonetheless.

My 1st PES. I loved that game, but barely any gameplay memories. I just remember not having a DVD drive and 'borrowing' my sister's and connecting it to my pc just to install that game, good times.
Happy of the effectiveness of Guardiola's tactics. 4 CMs + 3 forwards without neglecting the wings defensively seems like a great move.
Is that game just hard or actually better than later games? if yes, in which ways?

sure, here.

Not sure why you'd want it tho. It's just the updated laziale OF with some tactics and a few player edits. Almost all of the tactics are already posted in this thread, although I updated some since posting.
the others are Schalke + first drafts of Real & Chelsea. none of those play well yet.

On another note, I found a classic teams OF by Laziale from 2014. Player stats seem too high, but interesting nonetheless.

It's hard. Actually, it is harder than pes 2008 imo. Pes 3 is basically we9 with slightly worse animations and much better attacking AI. The individuality is the best in the old-gen IMO.

The downsides are no evolution in master league, no full leagues, only 64 club teams, SS and WB positions removed, but it is really a good game, you should try it once in a while. It was actually matt10 videos that made me want to try it again :

Last edited:

sure, here.

Ok, thanks Chengis :)). BTW, i love your tactics, actually i started to play PES 6 again when you posted new OF a couple months ago. For me, the most important thing for every patch is OF, and all this new patches have all these graphics and stuff, but when you look at the teams, its just....so bad.

I will upload the one i am working on in the next couple of days.

So far i have only completed 18 Championship teams and 14 EPL teams. I am doing about 8 players a day (about 1 team every 3 days) but that is good enough for me as i have far far far more important things to do in my life. I also have a good routine of updating the players that i have already edited on their date of birth. That way they are always up to date. I can see this as a long term project because the way Konami are going i don’t see the new ones improving anytime soon.

I am implementing your tactics too Chengis just to give the teams a bit of individuality.

At the moment i am editing and uploading some highlights from Matchday 2 of my EPL that i am playing. Once they are all uploaded i will post them if any one is interested in watching something while they are having their dinner or something :P

I wasnt go to do any more recording because it makes the controller less responsive but i do enjoy watching them back especially when ive scored a stunner. It feels so good scoring in this game. I love the little chest to the side to make space and then...whack!

Also i am thinking that i may be struggling during the match because i am using the team’s custom formations rather than just using my own. For example i would normally play 2 DMF’s to stop the ‘middle dribble’ (heh heh good phrase), but if the team i pick only has one DMF then i normally stick to their formation. So i may just change to my usual formation for each team i am controlling to give myself a chance.

Enjoying all your posts guys!

Here is the option file that i am working on.

Teams updated so far...

Arsenal
Bournemouth
Brighton
Burnley
Chelsea
Huddersfield
Leicester City
Liverpool
Man City
Man United
Newcastle
Stoke
Tottenham
Watford
West Ham

Aston Villa
Birmingham
Bolton
Burton
Cardiff
Derby
Fulham
Hull
Ipswich
Leeds
Middlesbrough
Norwich
Nottingham Forest
QPR
Reading
Sheff Weds
Sunderland
Wolves

It is based on Laziale's OF, and includes a few of Chenghis' tactics. (I will add more as i go along)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z2ttjruu8z5fj0v/54913_12118_GEES.max

Let me know if you have problems with the link.

After playing a lot pes 3, i now feel that pes 2008 is too easy for me even in top player difficulty, i also noticed that the keepers are really crap compared to pes 3/6. I played two games on it today but came back to pes 3 and 6.

After playing a lot pes 3, i now feel that pes 2008 is too easy for me even in top player difficulty, i also noticed that the keepers are really crap compared to pes 3/6. I played two games on it today but came back to pes 3 and 6.

That’s fair enough. I’m surprised that you havent mentioned PES5 or WE9LE though. Personally i have never liked PES6 and seeing the videos from 3 don’t really do it to me.

Just played some fantastic games of 2008 with my brother. Seeing things i havent seen time and time again. Yep i agree keepers are not good but only if they have poor stats. We played one game where my keeper was parrying everything even powder puff shots but his keeper was catching everything.

Also my player done a bicycle kick, first time i have seen that in about 50 games. Took us both by surprise as i was just trying to control and volley.

Lastly, he had a player sent off. Direct red. But what was good was that it came after the two players had a scuffle. In PES5 whenever there was a scuffle after a foul there was never a card. So it was such a surprise to see.

Its such a shame (and great at the same time) that these games whether it be 3, 5, 6, or 2008 are so much better than the modern games.

Today it is too much about the graphics and the licences. And no focus on individuality for average players.

That’s fair enough. I’m surprised that you havent mentioned PES5 or WE9LE though. Personally i have never liked PES6 and seeing the videos from 3 don’t really do it to me.

Just played some fantastic games of 2008 with my brother. Seeing things i havent seen time and time again. Yep i agree keepers are not good but only if they have poor stats. We played one game where my keeper was parrying everything even powder puff shots but his keeper was catching everything.

Also my player done a bicycle kick, first time i have seen that in about 50 games. Took us both by surprise as i was just trying to control and volley.

Lastly, he had a player sent off. Direct red. But what was good was that it came after the two players had a scuffle. In PES5 whenever there was a scuffle after a foul there was never a card. So it was such a surprise to see.

Its such a shame (and great at the same time) that these games whether it be 3, 5, 6, or 2008 are so much better than the modern games.

Today it is too much about the graphics and the licences. And no focus on individuality for average players.

To be honest, i don't think watching some vids can provide a fair view of the gameplay. When i was still playing pes 5/6, i heard about pes 3 on some threads and i went on youtube to check out some gameplay videos, and i wasn't impressed either. I then downloaded the game, played an exhibition match, but i didn't like it at first. It took some time to really adapt to the game. Going from pes 6 to 5 or the opposite was easier because the two games are really similar in game mechanics. But pes 3 is another animal.

I didn't mention pes5/we9, simply because i almost never concede goal in these games. A shame, because the gameplay is surely the best ever in human vs human, but cpu is harmless in attack. So i prefer pes 6 slightly more arcadey gameplay, but with better attacking cpu. Still, i think pes 6 is worse than pes 3, but i need time to really assess that. I thought pes 2008 was going to be the messiah a few months ago, it didn't do it for me in the end. I'm glad, you still enjoy it geeeee.

To be honest, i don't think watching some vids can provide a fair view of the gameplay. When i was still playing pes 5/6, i heard about pes 3 on some threads and i went on youtube to check out some gameplay videos, and i wasn't impressed either. I then downloaded the game, played an exhibition match, but i didn't like it at first. It took some time to really adapt to the game. Going from pes 6 to 5 or the opposite was easier because the two games are really similar in game mechanics. But pes 3 is another animal.

I didn't mention pes5/we9, simply because i almost never concede goal in these games. A shame, because the gameplay is surely the best ever in human vs human, but cpu is harmless in attack. So i prefer pes 6 slightly more arcadey gameplay, but with better attacking cpu. Still, i think pes 6 is worse than pes 3, but i need time to really assess that. I thought pes 2008 was going to be the messiah a few months ago, it didn't do it for me in the end. I'm glad, you still enjoy it geeeee.

Just out of interest did you try the global adjustments and Chenghis’ tactics? I know without the adjustments i wouldnt play 2008 as it is too arcadey.

Also, are you still using the emulator for both or is it PSP? I think factors like that will affect how the game plays.

I decided today to stop recording as the response times when using AVerMedia take away some of the fun.

Just out of interest did you try the global adjustments and Chenghis’ tactics? I know without the adjustments i wouldnt play 2008 as it is too arcadey.

Also, are you still using the emulator for both or is it PSP? I think factors like that will affect how the game plays.

I decided today to stop recording as the response times when using AVerMedia take away some of the fun.

Yeah, i tried the global adjustments and the Chenghis' tactics, but i feel like there are too much goals in every game, and imo it's due to poor goalkeepers. They almost always parry the ball, even when the ball seems easy to catch. Besides, before i was struggling defensively, but thanks to Chenghis' advices (defend in numbers, try to back off and not aggressively pressure, the cpu will try to dribble and loose the ball most of the time), i can now defend well, but too much that i don't feel challenged anymore on top player. In the same time, i feel like it is too easy to dribble whichever the player, when i have a good player like Ronaldinho, Messi or Ronaldo, it feels overpowered, i can dribble easily in the cpu defence and score. To compare, pes 3 has sometimes cumbersome animations for dribbling, but i really feel the difference between players and dribbling run leading to a goal, are rare and thus more satisfying.

I tried on both the emulator and the psp, to make sure it was not a problem related to the plateform. If there were any differences, it felt even easier on ps2 emulator.

but thanks to Chenghis' advices (defend in numbers, try to back off and not aggressively pressure, the cpu will try to dribble and loose the ball most of the time), i can now defend well, but too much that i don't feel challenged anymore on top player.

Sorry I ruined the game for you mate.

I take that as a compliment. :D

This game is still way too easy compared to PES 3. I love the attack variety though but still a bit predictable. If they are attempting a long shot, put your body on the line by sliding in. If they are passing around, cut their passing line. And then when you intercept the ball, pass to your striker and then pass to your winger, go to the wide, cutback, pass to the unmarked striker and hit shoot.

Back
Top Bottom