PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

I will probably receive a max drive next week, so i'll be able to really dig into pes 2008 editing. I'm looking forward to try the adjustments stats you made geeee. Did you discover any others interesting stats adjustments btw ?

Pleased to hear it. Does that mean you have gotten used to the graphics on PS2?

I have adjusted Heading by +5 as i thought the heading is a bit underpowered. Let me know if you want me to upload my OF? So you can get a head start. ;)

Pleased to hear it. Does that mean you have gotten used to the graphics on PS2?

I have adjusted Heading by +5 as i thought the heading is a bit underpowered. Let me know if you want me to upload my OF? So you can get a head start. ;)

Not really. The problem is my tv. I actually tried on my friend's tv and it was looking good (for a ps2 game). But i don't want to change yet my tv just for pes 2008, so i play it on psp for now. I found it harder on psp btw, something other people noticed in the master league thread : https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/the-master-league-adventures-thread.75473/page-66

Thanks for the OF proposition. I most likely will play with default database slightly edited, but your option file might be useful for players appearance maybe ?

Not really. The problem is my tv. I actually tried on my friend's tv and it was looking good (for a ps2 game). But i don't want to change yet my tv just for pes 2008, so i play it on psp for now. I found it harder on psp btw, something other people noticed in the master league thread : https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/the-master-league-adventures-thread.75473/page-66

Thanks for the OF proposition. I most likely will play with default database slightly edited, but your option file might be useful for players appearance maybe ?

Thanks for the link thats quite an interesting read. I’m finding the game quite hard on PS2 as it is but will probably give the PSP version a go too.

Let me know you want me to upload the file and you can use it for whatever you want.

Im enjoying my little Championship League that i’m playing but i may cut down on the highlights maybe just uploading the goals and the end of match highlights. At the rate i’m playing its one match a day. It takes about 20mins to play and then about 1 hour to edit the highlights and then about 90 minutes to upload. :BORED:

^The PSP version is way harder
on the PS2 I played in Craque difficult (I tihnk it is Top Player in english), on the PSP version, I can't even play properly in Professional, I have to play in normal in order to have a chance =p
also, the controls are a little unresponsive when compared to the PS2...on the PS2 version, you could spam the tackler button and all yours players would sequentially tackle( like, when you get your attacker runnig for the goal and all the other plyers stoppers get desesperate and try to tackle you all the time =p), on the PSP version, it is hard to even make on tackle properly....I don't even touch the O button when I am not attacking in the PSP version....
IMO, it is way harder

This is a quote from the ML thread and i may have found out the reason why i find the PS2 version quite difficult. I use AVerMedia to record the matches and it causes the game to be less responsive supposedly like the PSP version. ;)

Three more games played...

Ipswich 0 v *Birmingham 1 (Gallagher 73 scores with his first touch)

*QPR 0 v Reading 0
Mackie got injured in this one and out of the next match.

*Wolves 1 (Jota 27) v Middlesbrough 2 (Bamford 4, Baker 66)
Tough match this one, and my first personal defeat for four matches.

Geeeeee, i see you get realistic results in your games (1-1, 2-1, 1-0, etc...), this is not my case with pes 2008, and it annoys me a bit. Yesterday, i played an international cup game brazil-switzerland, and i was hammered 6-3, in my champions league i beat sevilla 4-0 with chelsea at home, then i was beaten 5-0 in sevilla. The game is a real challenge but this is a bit unrealistic. I guess and hope the speed adjustments you made should tone down these unrealistic scorelines. Looking forward to edit it when my max drive comes home.

Btw, did you also make the adjustment in your psp option file version ? If yes, i'd be interested in trying it if you could upload it, i'm a bit too impatient to wait for the max drive hehe.

Geeeeee, i see you get realistic results in your games (1-1, 2-1, 1-0, etc...), this is not my case with pes 2008, and it annoys me a bit. Yesterday, i played an international cup game brazil-switzerland, and i was hammered 6-3, in my champions league i beat sevilla 4-0 with chelsea at home, then i was beaten 5-0 in sevilla. The game is a real challenge but this is a bit unrealistic. I guess and hope the speed adjustments you made should tone down these unrealistic scorelines. Looking forward to edit it when my max drive comes home.

Btw, did you also make the adjustment in your psp option file version ? If yes, i'd be interested in trying it if you could upload it, i'm a bit too impatient to wait for the max drive hehe.

What settings are you using?

Im on Top Player and 15min games.
Just a reminder of the adjustments i have made to all players.

Stamina +5
Top Speed -15
Acceleration -15
Dribble Speed -15
Short Passing Speed -10
Long Passing Speed -10
Header +5
Condition (when less than 5) +1

All based on PSD stats.

I could not play the game on normal speed as it is too arcadey for me. Maybe that is why your games are high scoring.

Also, the way we all play is different. Maybe you are more attacking than me.

Regarding the PSP option file i think there may be a way to convert it. Otherwise it may be a case of using the MaxDrive, load it to the PS2 version and then transfer it to your PSP using the in game options (if that is possible).

When i get a chance i will find out if it can be converted with out the MaxDrive.

I just played my best game yet. The first half was boring but then it suddenly burst into life in the second half, great stuff! I will upload later.

Last match of Matchday 1.

Bolton (me) v Leeds

Such a fist in the air moment in about the 85 minute mark. A great ‘goal mouth crossing scramble’ where twice i thought the ball was out of play.

Here are the standings after Matchday 1.

It will take me ages to finish the season but i’m determined to. :)

I received my max drive today. These days i'm playing pes3/2008/2014 and i decided i will choose one at the end of the week and start a league or a master league and simply enjoy.

That’s good news :)

I really think you should give PES2008 a go with the adjusted stats and see if you like it before deciding. I am seeing so many good things in 2008.

Did you watch that clip from my last game, Bolton v Leeds? The build up to that equalising goal was amazing the way the ball was pinging in and around the penalty box until Noone kept his cool. The thing is, is that watching the video doesn’t help you to feel the tension in that piece of play. Not just from my team but the CPU too. The crowd were almost ‘oohing’.

I love the way the CPU will also hack you down sometimes when you win the ball off of it. Also the variety in shots from the CPU. I played a game today, the CPU had three ‘one on ones’. The first it tried to chip the keeper but it went wide, the second it shot with power straight at the keeper, the third it took round the keeper. I don’t think that happens in the new FIFA or PES, not with such variety. That is what keeps me hooked in this game is the way each match is different.

Admittedly there is no team identity but I don’t care when I get such a good feeling from scoring either me or the CPU. Also, I hit the post twice today in one match but I know that may not happen for a random amount of games. In FIFA that happens a lot, it’s as if it is scripted to add to the excitement. But in 2008, it happens because...it just happens (can’t explain it any better). So when it happens in 2008 I jump out my seat but in FIFA I think ‘oh the post again’. (Sorry this isn’t a dig at FIFA but both new games in general).

Here are all 24 goals from Matchday 1...tell me what ones you like best.

In the future I will play all the Matchday games before uploading them.

Dont know what has happened but since the start of Match Day 2 i have lost 3 on the spin and conceded 8 goals. Its like the CPU has become harder. I may have to drop down a level for MD 3.

That’s good news :)

I really think you should give PES2008 a go with the adjusted stats and see if you like it before deciding. I am seeing so many good things in 2008.

Did you watch that clip from my last game, Bolton v Leeds? The build up to that equalising goal was amazing the way the ball was pinging in and around the penalty box until Noone kept his cool. The thing is, is that watching the video doesn’t help you to feel the tension in that piece of play. Not just from my team but the CPU too. The crowd were almost ‘oohing’.

I love the way the CPU will also hack you down sometimes when you win the ball off of it. Also the variety in shots from the CPU. I played a game today, the CPU had three ‘one on ones’. The first it tried to chip the keeper but it went wide, the second it shot with power straight at the keeper, the third it took round the keeper. I don’t think that happens in the new FIFA or PES, not with such variety. That is what keeps me hooked in this game is the way each match is different.

Admittedly there is no team identity but I don’t care when I get such a good feeling from scoring either me or the CPU. Also, I hit the post twice today in one match but I know that may not happen for a random amount of games. In FIFA that happens a lot, it’s as if it is scripted to add to the excitement. But in 2008, it happens because...it just happens (can’t explain it any better). So when it happens in 2008 I jump out my seat but in FIFA I think ‘oh the post again’. (Sorry this isn’t a dig at FIFA but both new games in general).

Here are all 24 goals from Matchday 1...tell me what ones you like best.

In the future I will play all the Matchday games before uploading them.

Brayford goal was ace !
I tried pes 2008 with your adjusted stats, but i decided to go with pes 3, because i feel there is a better individuality (which is also very good in pes 2008), but since i rediscovered pes 3 for a shorter time than pes 2008, i may discover flaws along the way and come back to pes 2008, we will see. I'll maybe post my ml with real betis on pes 3 thread or ml adventures thread.

Brayford goal was ace !
I tried pes 2008 with your adjusted stats, but i decided to go with pes 3, because i feel there is a better individuality (which is also very good in pes 2008), but since i rediscovered pes 3 for a shorter time than pes 2008, i may discover flaws along the way and come back to pes 2008, we will see. I'll maybe post my ml with real betis on pes 3 thread or ml adventures thread.

Yes it was an excellent goal. As i mentioned before they dont happen much so when it does it feels fantastic.

Fair enough with regards to PES3. Yes keep us updated with your ML. Videos are good but take too much time if i’m honest.

I was posting my ML on the ML thread but thought the videos would get lost in that thread because of PES2018. So carried on posting in this thread.

Yeah it's awesome, in my opinion just re-releasing and improving this base game would be far better and more enjoyable than PES or FIFA 18

Yes i agree fully. When i see the goals from some videos of PES2018 they don’t do anything for me really. That’s not a critism of those that post them but a critism of the game itself.

What happened to Spurs today? Disappointing.

After playing a few master league games on pes 3, i'm already missing pes 2008. Pes 3 is a very good games, but i'm starting to spot some annoying flaws, like the strikers being too static, the referees blatantly giving free kicks to the cpu when i made a clean tackle, having the most possession every game, etc.. . The more diversified shooting from pes 2008 misses also a lot. So i will play another few games and if i don't feel better, i'll make a u-turn and play pes 2008.

After playing a few master league games on pes 3, i'm already missing pes 2008. Pes 3 is a very good games, but i'm starting to spot some annoying flaws, like the strikers being too static, the referees blatantly giving free kicks to the cpu when i made a clean tackle, having the most possession every game, etc.. . The more diversified shooting from pes 2008 misses also a lot. So i will play another few games and if i don't feel better, i'll make a u-turn and play pes 2008.

I think there will always be things that are annoying in PES. Like i have recently noticed that the CPU does dribble a bit in the centre towards goal but at the same time they then attack down the wings too. I think it is to do with adaptive ai. Because i get caught out a lot in the centre they tend to attack more that way. But once i stop them a few times then they attack along the wings.

Still the best PES for me.

I been watching videos of the new PES since the new patch and i really dont feel anything towards it. Then i watch some videos i posted earlier from 2008 and i can feel the ‘soul’ in it.

Just saw this thread. watched a few mins of your first video and the AI already had some nice passing moves it would never attempt in PES5/WE9. I also loved how Julian Baumgartlinger the Great went on a dribbling run, ghosting past your midfielders as if they were cones and changing directions multiple times doing it! Detractors would claim he had no idea where he was going but I'm humble enough to know it's not my place to question supreme lord Baumgartlinger.

One thing that is an improvement on PES5/WE9LE is it is no longer possible to exploit the wings. Basically the SB's keep their position and don't come inside all the time.

wow now I'm excited. I hated the easy breaktroughs on the wing that were killing my pressing tactics. Let's hope this emulator works!

Played a few matches and this game really seems legit! geeeeee how do you come up with this stuff?
AI is much better at dribbling/passing/finishing. It's actually good in attack. wtf?

I played a WC with Italy on Professional/default OF and got kicked out in the group stages as I failed to score against Sweden & ivory Coast. An issue I had was that midfielders didn't track back well enough and too often left the backline on an island with strikers running at them. This was true for me as Italy as well as AI Austria & Sweden, yet curiously Ivory Coast played two DMs and didn't have that problem. Looking at Italy in the editor I saw they have Pressure at C which is a big no-no in WE9. I hope this or other tactical stuff is at fault which would mean it can be fixed. I'd hate for the game to have hard-coded 'soft' midfields like PES13 (iirc).

Ball control and passing feel much better, those were a major source of frustration in WE9. Unfortunately dribbling seems overpowered. Players were way too fast but your edits mostly fixed that (nice!). I played a match with Argentina after doing your edits and Messi was just ridiculous, leaving defenders for dead even better than Baumgartlinger in your 1st video, Zambrotta may still be spinning around. Messi was a great dribbler then and has great stats but I'm doubtful he should be THIS good. On the other hand, Italy fielded a diamond so he had a vast amount of space on the wing. In the next game with Japan (extremely fun team) vs Spain I couldn't dribble past multiple defenders with anyone which seemed nice but I could pass through their midfield like nothing which again is Japan's strength though.

PES5/WE9/WE9LE were great defensively despite lacking defensive organization. Players were unrealistically quick off the mark to close down the ball (as is the case with all PS2 gen games, 2008 too) and everyone had Cambiasso's standing tackle accuracy. If a defender was near you and you weren't shielding the ball with your body... poof it was gone. In 2008 it's much easier for human & AI to evade defenders due to much improved agility with the ball and much weaker but still functional tackling. Point is super human tackling used to mask the defensive issues in the game, now it's gone and defense (+ defensive midfield) feels too soft for me. I'll throw together a pressing tactic and see if that fixes it.

This game is fun to just pick up & play, even if doesn't run perfectly smooth on PCSX2 yet. I already uninstalled PES17 :D

Any plans to release/share your OF (or linking another one)? I saw you using modern players and mentioning psd stats and now I feel all the envy. This game looks so good, I could most likely provide some tactics. Would have to adjust my understanding to the weaker tackling/better dribbling thing though.

I only skimmed through this thread a bit so far, will read more when I find the time.

I mean here I was feeling disillusioned about not having a fun football sim to play anymore and then I log in here and see this :SHOCK::BOP: This game is almost 10 years old!

thanks man
:SAL:

edit: what exactly was the reason for the stamina increase?

Last edited:
Played a few matches and this game really seems legit! geeeeee how do you come up with this stuff?
AI is much better at dribbling/passing/finishing. It's actually good in attack. wtf?

I played a WC with Italy on Professional/default OF and got kicked out in the group stages as I failed to score against Sweden & ivory Coast. An issue I had was that midfielders didn't track back well enough and too often left the backline on an island with strikers running at them. This was true for me as Italy as well as AI Austria & Sweden, yet curiously Ivory Coast played two DMs and didn't have that problem. Looking at Italy in the editor I saw they have Pressure at C which is a big no-no in WE9. I hope this or other tactical stuff is at fault which would mean it can be fixed. I'd hate for the game to have hard-coded 'soft' midfields like PES13 (iirc).

Ball control and passing feel much better, those were a major source of frustration in WE9. Unfortunately dribbling seems overpowered. Players were way too fast but your edits mostly fixed that (nice!). I played a match with Argentina after doing your edits and Messi was just ridiculous, leaving defenders for dead even better than Baumgartlinger in your 1st video, Zambrotta may still be spinning around. Messi was a great dribbler then and has great stats but I'm doubtful he should be THIS good. On the other hand, Italy fielded a diamond so he had a vast amount of space on the wing. In the next game with Japan (extremely fun team) vs Spain I couldn't dribble past multiple defenders with anyone which seemed nice but I could pass through their midfield like nothing which again is Japan's strength though.

PES5/WE9/WE9LE were great defensively despite lacking defensive organization. Players were unrealistically quick off the mark to close down the ball (as is the case with all PS2 gen games, 2008 too) and everyone had Cambiasso's standing tackle accuracy. If a defender was near you and you weren't shielding the ball with your body... poof it was gone. In 2008 it's much easier for human & AI to evade defenders due to much improved agility with the ball and much weaker but still functional tackling. Point is super human tackling used to mask the defensive issues in the game, now it's gone and defense (+ defensive midfield) feels too soft for me. I'll throw together a pressing tactic and see if that fixes it.

This game is fun to just pick up & play, even if doesn't run perfectly smooth on PCSX2 yet. I already uninstalled PES17 :D

Any plans to release/share your OF (or linking another one)? I saw you using modern players and mentioning psd stats and now I feel all the envy. This game looks so good, I could most likely provide some tactics. Would have to adjust my understanding to the weaker tackling/better dribbling thing though.

I only skimmed through this thread a bit so far, will read more when I find the time.

I mean here I was feeling disillusioned about not having a fun football sim to play anymore and then I log in here and see this :SHOCK::BOP: This game is almost 10 years old!

thanks man

Nice to see you in this thread, Chenghis. I absolutely loved your tactics for we9le, i'm looking forward for pes 2008 tactics now :D ! How did you manage to play this game on emulator ? For me it was always stuttering and with weird graphical glitches.

thanks man

Hi Chenghis, really good to see you back on the site and that you are giving this game a go. :)

For me now, as i have said in previous posts, is the best PES. Yes it definitely has its faults but the attacking AI is better than PES 5, WE9LE and PES 6. It mixes the attack up a bit to keep you guessing. If you look at one of the older posts i think on the previous page there are highlights of Burton (me) v Cardiff. Hoilett (for Cardiff) in the first half playing as a LW or SMF lays the ball off quite a few times to the striker. A small point but on other occasions he may just cross or cut in and shoot. I dont know what makes him do that but its just a small example of the CPU mixing it up a bit.

I would explain more things but i will let you read through the posts and watch the videos. If not all of them, please watch the goal compilation of Match Day 1 and you will see some good goals in it. Especially Burton’s one and Bolton’s equaliser where the ball is crossed a few times into the box before being cooly smashed into the corner. Such a fist in the air moment for me.

I am not into all the tactics and things like you are but i am sure that adding your tactics will improve the game even more. Yes i am updating an option file that i found. So far i have done the English Championship teams and about 11 EPL teams. Because the Championship teams have been done i am doing my own Championship League and playing every game hence the videos on the last two pages. I will upload the option file midweek for you to have a look at.

Im am really enjoying this game Chenghis. The stat changes need to be made otherwise it is too fast for me and would be a gamebreaker.

The stamina change i made because i read somewhere that players fitness goes quick during ML so i added the 5 (similar to what i did with PES5 actually). And i played the ML for a couple of seasons and it seemed to keep it realistic.

This game is so much more fullfilling than the new ones. Just hitting a good shot feels right. In the new ones, a sweet connection is made most of the time but in this it all depends on stats, position, foot, defender position too, mentality, stamina. Excellent game mate.

Does anyone know how to convert a EU version OF to a US version OF?
they have different editors and seem incompatible to me. The laziale OF you guys posted is EU version and I assume geeeee's OF will be too, yet I liked the US version of the game a bit better in the few games I played. It may have been placebo but the US version was released half a year after the EU one so it's possible they actually improved the game.

Nice to see you in this thread, Chenghis. I absolutely loved your tactics for we9le, i'm looking forward for pes 2008 tactics now :D ! How did you manage to play this game on emulator ? For me it was always stuttering and with weird graphical glitches.

it's all geeeee's fault :PP
my game stutters too, but the effect is so minor it doesn't bother me too much (yet). I've only seen some miniscule graphical glitches, I'd say the thing runs fine aside from the models/animations looking like the 'Medium' quality option in the PES5/WE9 settings. I use:
latest svn release of PCSX2 & SSE4 plugin with these settings:
30tqd01.png

I followed the official (?) guide.

EU game with some kind of widescreen patch looks like this:
51v2r.png

I don't know how to make videos.

I already made some quick tactics for
City
Leipzig
Dortmund
Leverkusen 2016
Napoli

Tell me if that formation file works for you guys.
Feedback is welcome, I I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing yet, especially defensively.

they have different editors and seem incompatible to me. The laziale OF you guys posted is EU version and I assume geeeee's OF will be too, yet I liked the US version of the game a bit better in the few games I played. It may have been placebo but the US version was released half a year after the EU one so it's possible they actually improved the game.

my game stutters too, but the effect is so minor it doesn't bother me too much (yet). I've only seen some miniscule graphical glitches, I'd say the thing runs fine aside from the models/animations looking like the 'Medium' quality option in the PES5/WE9 settings. I use:
30tqd01.png

51v2r.png

City
Leipzig
Dortmund
Leverkusen 2016
Napoli

Feedback is welcome, I I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing yet, especially defensively.

Interesting about the US version... Could you tell which differences you spotted please ?
I will try the tactics and the pcsx2 settings you provided when i have time, thanks.

30tqd01.png

51v2r.png

City
Leipzig
Dortmund
Leverkusen 2016
Napoli

Not sure how to do seperate quotes of the same post so i will just reply in one big lump :)

Also i’m not sure how to convert the option file. Can they both be opened up in pesfan editor and one copied over the other?

In what way is it better?

Thanks for uploading the tactics Chenghis. Sorry if i sound unappreciative but is it possible for you to upload a photo of the formations? As i would prefer to copy them in manually. Otherwise it means swapping over memory cards and havent got that many. Remember i am on PS2. Thanks ;)

I tried your Tottenham one and played against them with West Ham. It was great. There is definately no wing exploit like in PES5. Rose and Aurier were wing backs. I managed to exploit it once but afterwards the CB’s came over to cover. Also the DMF, Wanyama, and Erikson actually came back to cover. At the same time Rose was making runs to the edge of the box and crossing the ball in. Not so much Aurier but that could be down to his Aggression stat.

I was really impressed with the game that Spurs won 1-0. A 40 yrd pass from Alderwier...(cant spell the rest of his name at the moment) to Kane who dinked it over the on rushing Hart.

Also what i like is that i brought on Carroll and directed him to stay in the middle which he did and i played some long balls to him. Funny thing is, his first touch he got fouled by Alderweir...who was booked. That was only a friendly and yet fiesty.

The game was different from the Championship games that i play which can be a slog but probably because of the stats. Really fantstic game this. Every day i look at the PES2018 thread and watch the videos but it does nothing to me. All shots just miss by the CPU like before. I can see the CPU goals coming and i am not even playing, because of the scripting. The back heels...

It is such a shame that this game has past people by. I’m pleased that a few are liking it though.

Regarding recording, i use AVeMedia with my PS2. The only problem is that it causes a slight delay in the response time which can be a pain when im playing. That could actually be why the Spurs game i just mentioned played different from the Championship games, because i didnt record it and the AVeMedia was off.

this game is hard man..
Started a WC with the agile short passers of Japan (US version, default OF, professional, 15 mins) and immediately got mowed down 6:1 by Romania. Every Romanian was Neymar that night and Mutu was basically Maradona. I couldn't get near those mofos. untouchable. Meanwhile my frontline players all boasted a Balance in the 60s and got dispossessed while receiving the ball time and time again. Next game vs Russia was basically the same in attack and I failed to score but in defense I now got a lot of tackles in, ...BUT I wouldn't gain possession, only knock the ball loose and every time the russian attacker would win the fight for the loose ball and regain possession. I guess they had better Balance & Response, my guys suck in those stats. Great to see stats have such palpable effects. I had similar issues as Italy when I played the much stronger Ivorians.
After this game I realized I missed your Dribble Speed edit. So next game v Brazil I had a much better time as players dribbled at a reasonable pace. A nice side effect of low DS is better ball control. The more DA is > DS, the easier it is to control the ball and dribble in place, which was also true for WE9. I finally got some possession game going and rescued a draw on a last second penalty that of course still sent me and my single group stage point home.
So with ALL your edits, the game is really good and Messi is fine too.

Do you happen to know how the AI uses strategies?

For example I can change the strategies so that the AI activates them but does it know when to. For example I may have CB overlap, does the CPU use that for corners or when losing or is it random?

If you set your team's strategy buttons from manual to auto, the AI will activate & deactivate strategies for you on the fly. I am positive the logic it uses for that is the same logic the AI teams use. I'd also be surprised if they improved the routines from PES5. I play with auto strategies mostly when I'm lazy and I believe it's all random except for 2 strategies that are always perma-activated: counter-attack & pressure.
Side/centre attack are used from time to time. not sure about the others yet. how were they used in WE9?
- opp. side attack was used sometimes like side/centre atk.
- formation A/B were never used by the AI, those were only for the player to activate manually, which is logical since the AI would need to have had a much better understanding of attacking/defensive implications of tactics than it actually possessed. how is it gonna know what the use of custom tactics are?
- change sides & attacking CB were used rarely, so if you wanted them used often, you had to assign them to multiple buttons. I'm not sure if attacking CB was used more frequently when behind at the end of a game, because:

when behind, the AI raises its A/D level so even the conservative players make more forward runs and when you give even diagonal forward arrows to CBs (like I always did), those CBs were making runs and showing up in the box even without that strategy. That diagonal forward arrow is usually all you need for a CB to go up for a corner even on neutral A/D level. again, not sure about 2008 yet.

This game is so much more fullfilling than the new ones. Just hitting a good shot feels right. In the new ones, a sweet connection is made most of the time but in this it all depends on stats, position, foot, defender position too, mentality, stamina. Excellent game mate.

Yep.

You are definitely right on shooting. It's much harder than in WE9 which is great. As you say shooting is about body position and separation from defenders (+ player stats ofc) which seems good to me. It's like passing. You don't have the control/freedom of newer games. The skill/difficulty lies in what you do before the shot/pass and then player stats do the rest. I can't remember when I last felt this happy about achieving even decently placed shots.

I've seen the late Bolton (?) equalizer, low shot in the area after a cross and know exactly how you felt. This is why we play competitions, right? Can't achieve that emotional charge in friendlies.

I am a bit septic about global stat INcreases, as they are harder to reverse than decreases and you ruin the advantages players who are world class in those attributes. STA/HEA +5 should be fine though. In WE9 I also gave all GKs +20 STA, cuz why would they ever be tired?

Looking forward to your OF.

Interesting about the US version... Could you tell which differences you spotted please ?
I will try the tactics and the pcsx2 settings you provided when i have time, thanks.

I found the US version animations to be a bit smoother and the AI a little more creative in attack. EU version felt closer to WE9 as a whole. Don't quote me on any of that though, it's only been a few games with vastly different OFs (default 2008 Konami OF vs 2017 updated Laziale OF with PSD stats). Also I played most of my USv games with unedited Dribble Speed which affects movement a lot.

Not sure how to do seperate quotes of the same post so i will just reply in one big lump :)

I also don't know a better way than manually chopping up a post withe the QUOTE tags and then replying to each segement.

Also i’m not sure how to convert the option file. Can they both be opened up in pesfan editor and one copied over the other?

There's an editor for the US version and another one for EU. They can't open each others OFs, tried that.

Thanks for uploading the tactics Chenghis. Sorry if i sound unappreciative but is it possible for you to upload a photo of the formations? As i would prefer to copy them in manually. Otherwise it means swapping over memory cards and havent got that many. Remember i am on PS2. Thanks ;)

No problem:
5d33tl.png

Technically, I'm also on PS2 and use memory cards, just not real ones :D

Leverkusen & Leipzig are on Auto-Attack A/D lvl, which has to be set ingame as there is no option in the editor as you can see. It seems that due to AI attacking competence only extreme teams have to be set to Auto-Attack in 2008, while I hat it set for pretty much every team in WE9.

I tried your Tottenham one and played against them with West Ham. It was great. There is definately no wing exploit like in PES5. Rose and Aurier were wing backs. I managed to exploit it once but afterwards the CB’s came over to cover. Also the DMF, Wanyama, and Erikson actually came back to cover. At the same time Rose was making runs to the edge of the box and crossing the ball in. Not so much Aurier but that could be down to his Aggression stat.

I was really impressed with the game that Spurs won 1-0. A 40 yrd pass from Alderwier...(cant spell the rest of his name at the moment) to Kane who dinked it over the on rushing Hart.

Also what i like is that i brought on Carroll and directed him to stay in the middle which he did and i played some long balls to him. Funny thing is, his first touch he got fouled by Alderweir...who was booked. That was only a friendly and yet fiesty.

Glad it plays well.
Aurier has the exact same instructions as Rose so his passivity should be due to Attack & Aggression, although players with low Response can also be a bit more passive/relaxed. Don't how his stats look.

Regarding recording, i use AVeMedia with my PS2. The only problem is that it causes a slight delay in the response time which can be a pain when im playing. That could actually be why the Spurs game i just mentioned played different from the Championship games, because i didnt record it and the AVeMedia was off.

thanks, but I think/hope I won't need extra equipment to record on pc.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info @Chenghis.Khan :)

I was actually getting a bit frustrated for the first time yesterday with the dribbling through the centre by the cpu. In my first round of matches in my comp it didnt happen as much but in the second round the cpu is using it about 90% of the time. Im on Top Player so i dropped down to Prof. But the cpu was struggling to hit the target even though its build up play was more varied. So i went back to Top Player.

Im thinking it may be the adaptive cpu ‘knowing’ that it catches me out most times through the middle.

Im thinking a fix is either...

Changing my formation, i tend to stick with the formation that the team i am is using. Maybe i should just stick 2 DMF’s there which i found worked in my ML. Or even change theirs.

Changing CPU formation and tactics. Maybe assign left and right attack to 2 strategies each.

Changing stats, dribble accuracy decrease by 5 maybe. Maybe make them less effective so that then they try other ways to attack.

Also regarding tactics, i use the ingame editor not pesfan editor. Looking at your post it seems you can do different things in both of them. In the ingame editor i can change the def/att setting for the team whereas you cant in pesfan editor. Also ingame i cannot change counter attack levels (at least i dont think so i will check more today).

Thanks again for all the info.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info @Chenghis.Khan :)

I was actually getting a bit frustrated for the first time yesterday with the dribbling through the centre by the cpu. In my first round of matches in my comp it didnt happen as much but in the second round the cpu is using it about 90% of the time. Im on Top Player so i dropped down to Prof. But the cpu was struggling to hit the target even though its build up play was more varied. So i went back to Top Player.

Im thinking it may be the adaptive cpu ‘knowing’ that it catches me out most times through the middle.

Don't think so. I'm sure it's the AI increasing Teamwork over time. I've always found the AI to play much better in the 2nd half of a season (not sure if only 1st season) in WE9 ML. Your Teamwork increases throughout every competition, so the AI's should too.

Im thinking a fix is either...

Changing my formation, i tend to stick with the formation that the team i am is using. Maybe i should just stick 2 DMF’s there which i found worked in my ML. Or even change theirs.

Changing CPU formation and tactics. Maybe assign left and right attack to 2 strategies each.

Changing stats, dribble accuracy decrease by 5 maybe. Maybe make them less effective so that then they try other ways to attack.

I'd definitely go for experimenting with more defensively solid tactics and upping my defensive discipline over reducing the AI's ability. I mean the modern game is all about how you defend the middle. Leipzig came in 2nd in Bundesliga last season by consistently denying the centre of the pitch and hitting with quick attacks. Using my quick tactics I've already found defense improved. In turn the attacking team struggled a bit but I hope it's due to playing against better defense, as I've only pit them against each other so far.
Eliminating centre attack strategy also sounds better than decreasing stats. Still, there are teams like Atletico & Leipzig that mostly attack down the middle, so I'd be careful with that too.
I've yet to experience this problem though, so no idea how bad it is.

Also regarding tactics, i use the ingame editor not pesfan editor. Looking at your post it seems you can do different things in both of them. In the ingame editor i can change the def/att setting for the team whereas you cant in pesfan editor. Also ingame i cannot change counter attack levels (at least i dont think so i will check more today).

Thanks again for all the info.

Yep, you need pesfan editor for Counter Attack & Pressure settings.

Don't think so. I'm sure it's the AI increasing Teamwork over time. I've always found the AI to play much better in the 2nd half of a season (not sure if only 1st season) in WE9 ML. Your Teamwork increases throughout every competition, so the AI's should too.

But i’m only playing a League so stats will remain the same. Teamwork and other stats will only increase in ML.

I'd definitely go for experimenting with more defensively solid tactics and upping my defensive discipline over reducing the AI's ability. I mean the modern game is all about how you defend the middle. Leipzig came in 2nd in Bundesliga last season by consistently denying the centre of the pitch and hitting with quick attacks. Using my quick tactics I've already found defense improved. In turn the attacking team struggled a bit but I hope it's due to playing against better defense, as I've only pit them against each other so far.
Eliminating centre attack strategy also sounds better than decreasing stats. Still, there are teams like Atletico & Leipzig that mostly attack down the middle, so I'd be careful with that too.
I've yet to experience this problem though, so no idea how bad it is.

Yes i will try a more defensive approach.

Yep, you need pesfan editor for Counter Attack & Pressure settings.

In PES5, Counter Attack & Pressure could be changed with the ingame editor. I will double check later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom