PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

Anyone got any advice for shooting in this game? It's probably my weakest point overall, I just hold square based on how far away I am from the goal and stuff but it feels like I either overblow it or it's a weak shot with a save from the keeper...

... also, if there's one thing I do miss from <PES6, it's Brackley/Brooking. Champion/Lawrenson just don't have the same energy in their line delivery and Lawrenson hardly even speaks.

Hey guys, I have finished modding Winning Eleven 2008 - which is the Japanese version of PES 2008. There are some key differences though. WE 2008 has an additional 6 star difficulty that can be unlocked and the game defaults to NTSC-60Hz and also has support for both Japanese language and audio, including commentary which can also be used alongside the English text.

If you want to check it out its available here:

https://evoweb.uk/threads/the-retro-pes-corner.78697/post-3959273

:)

Hey guys, I have finished modding Winning Eleven 2008 - which is the Japanese version of PES 2008. There are some key differences though. WE 2008 has an additional 6 star difficulty that can be unlocked and the game defaults to NTSC-60Hz and also has support for both Japanese language and audio, including commentary which can also be used alongside the English text.

If you want to check it out its available here:

https://evoweb.uk/threads/the-retro-pes-corner.78697/post-3959273

:)
Very cool, I will give it a try. Option file from PES 2008 can be used with this version as well?

Anyone got any advice for shooting in this game? It's probably my weakest point overall, I just hold square based on how far away I am from the goal and stuff but it feels like I either overblow it or it's a weak shot with a save from the keeper...

... also, if there's one thing I do miss from <PES6, it's Brackley/Brooking. Champion/Lawrenson just don't have the same energy in their line delivery and Lawrenson hardly even speaks.

One bit of advice would be to make sure you know the player’s stronger foot and try with that one unless of course they are strong with both feet like Son. Also, on that point, if I play two strikers I would play the left footed one on the right hand and the right footed one on the left hand. That way, when they cut in they tend to shoot more with their stronger foot.

Also, you have to make space by passing about or dribbling that way the player has more time to shoot. With top strikers with high stats for shooting accuracy, power, etc… it won’t matter as much how long you hold the button, but i tend to hold till about half way.

What level are you playing on?

Was not sure where to post this, either the retro thread, retro video thread, or this one.

Enjoy some of the goals from me and my brother's session in our ongoing competition in May. Apologies about the dodgy editing, a bit like being on a rollercoaster at times :LOL:

Look out for Luke Amos' goal for QPR, I love the control and finish.

Enjoy! :)

After a few years, my brother and myself are into the last 16 teams of our made up knockout cup, the LAC Cup (the Lews All Comers Cup) :D

The draw for the fourth round is:

Netherlands v Portugal
Wolfsburg v Bologna
West Ham v Italy
Real Madrid v France
Atletico Madrid v Austria
Union Berlin v Fulham
Ajax v Croatia
Genoa v Stade De Reims

For the last few rounds of games we are using my 21-22 Option File.

I will be posting the full matches as we play them and also as I finish editing them :D

First up Netherlands v Portugal... enjoy :)

Next it's Wolfsburg v Bologna

Last edited:
I've been watching a good few of the games! Almost exclusively on the TV while my daughter's sleeping on my chest - otherwise I'd be commenting frequently! So while I remember, here, I'll say how much I'm enjoying it. 👍
Hey Flipper, I hope you are well. I am pleased that you are enjoying the videos and that they are not sending you to sleep too :ZZZ:

Thanks for your message :)

@geeeeee Well done!!! Will you make an updated options file for this season too?? Thanks bye
Hi Manu, yes I am working on an update but it will not be ready for a while :)

Here is the next match Union Berlin v Fulham.

It will be a few weeks before I upload the next lot of matches because we have not played them yet. :D

I don't usually use it too much, but for a few days I've been playing a series of OF Classic Laziale matches on the PC emulator, you can see them on my channel.

Guys apart from PES 2008 PS2,what other PES PS2 releases have good gameplay (non European versions) eg The jleague pes PS2 games, WE2008 PS2 etc and the difficulty in other versions( non European versions) are they on par with the European releases of those PS2 games?

Guys apart from PES 2008 PS2,what other PES PS2 releases have good gameplay (non European versions) eg The jleague pes PS2 games, WE2008 PS2 etc and the difficulty in other versions( non European versions) are they on par with the European releases of those PS2 games?

Some people will piss their pants in disagreement but I don't notice any discernible difference in gameplay between any PS2 PES and their World Soccer/J.League equivalent.

The in-between games, however, are different. They exist for PES through to PES6 and are all magnificent. Winning Eleven 5 and 6 Final Evolution; Winning Eleven 7 International; Winning Eleven 8, 9 and 10 Liveware Evolution. They are all pretty unique experiences well worth checking out.

I remember when i played back at PES 2008 release period that the ML had a bug when setting transfer frequency to High. At the end of the season all the players renew their contracts and they get a salary of 1. At the time that was a gamebreaker to me and i didnt played much.

But then you guys discovered this hidden gem and i've decided to give it a try again. Downloaded the game (EU Version) and had the same bug. Did some tests and that particular bug seems to affect only high transfer frequency. Since i like to play with an active transfer market i started looking for the US version in hopes that it didnt had that bug.

Turns out that the US version has the ML fix. Played over 10+ seasons in ML and never saw a 5000 salary player and the contract renew bug never appeared.

Maybe you guys should check the US version of the game. If i'm not mistaken it was released later and these bugs on ML seems to be fixed

Anyone else tested that ? @geeeeee
did you see that too during your MLs ?

Anyone else tested that ? @geeeeee
did you see that too during your MLs ?
Hi, yes i do get the 5000 bug but have not seen the 1 salary bug yet. I was hoping to eradicate it while doing my option file but the 5000 players still appear.

I have not tried the US version though and i probably won’t because i don’t think my option file and ISO will be compatible.

Hi, yes i do get the 5000 bug but have not seen the 1 salary bug yet. I was hoping to eradicate it while doing my option file but the 5000 players still appear.

I have not tried the US version though and i probably won’t because i don’t think my option file and ISO will be compatible.
Thanks ! Do you have a tutorial to add kits in the ps2 iso ? I see that you did that in your "patch".

Some people will piss their pants in disagreement but I don't notice any discernible difference in gameplay between any PS2 PES and their World Soccer/J.League equivalent.

The in-between games, however, are different. They exist for PES through to PES6 and are all magnificent. Winning Eleven 5 and 6 Final Evolution; Winning Eleven 7 International; Winning Eleven 8, 9 and 10 Liveware Evolution. They are all pretty unique experiences well worth checking out.
You don’t notice because there is absolutely no difference other than the name and licences they have. The gameplay is exactly the same. The only game that can be called different is the Korean exclusive Winning eleven 9LE which is a hybrid of PES5 & PES 6.

You don’t notice because there is absolutely no difference other than the name and licences they have. The gameplay is exactly the same. The only game that can be called different is the Korean exclusive Winning eleven 9LE which is a hybrid of PES5 & PES 6.

I agree. Was just being cautious in my language! 😄

But there are people who will disagree. Strongly!

As vaunted as WE9LE is I actually think it's one of the more subtle adjustments. WE6FE and WE8LE are more noticeable to me. I'd say every single in-betweener is better than its original, though.

Back
Top Bottom