PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

Does anybody have any tips on playing this game?

I am playing ML and i am struggling so much. Playing as Huddersfield with their players (not default ML).

This is where i need help:

1. How to make my player move to the ball? Sometimes he stands there waiting for the ball to come to him, by that time the CPU nicks the ball.
  2. How to win headers better when defending corner? The CPU wins them 99% of the time.
  3. When we do win the header, how to stop it constantly falling to their player on the edge of the box? That is really frustrating because when we have the same scenario at their end, we never have any players on the edge of the box when they header the ball out from a corner.
  4. Any formations and tactics would help a great deal. I was playing 4-4-2, one DM, one AM, 2 SMFs out wide and high up the pitch. It was working ok but sometimes the CPU adapts to my play and makes it so difficult.
So far in the league I have played 11 games and conceded about 25 and scored about 6. We are really poor, and it is getting frustrating.

Any help will be appreciated. :)

Hey geeeeee, I just wanted to say a big thanks for making this thread! I would never have known about this awesome version of PES. I am planning on buying my first PS2 just to play these classics (also WE10JL) on original hardware. Haven't tried your OF yet but cheers to you & everyone here helping, for keeping these games alive.

Also, I'm by no means an expert but here are some of my general tips for this generation of PES games.
'Super cancel' is your best friend. It's fidgety sometimes but once you get the hang of it, you can make your players run to the ball more instead of waiting for it on rails. Also in defending you can make some vital interceptions that you couldn't otherwise. It's just a struggle to switch to the right defender sometimes, especially on corners. (& I just have to note how natural the interceptions & ball collision can be in these old gems. e.g The ball won't just bounce back to the oppostion everytime you make a tackle.)

In regards to formation, if I'm struggling to create chances I will get the wingers further forward. Perhaps 4-3-3 or even 4-2-4 & start switching the play alot. Your RWF/LWF will draw their SB's out of position & they lose more of their defensive shape. You can use the 'opp.side attack' strategy so your playing with more width. Lot's of long passes switching from one flank to the other (or as my old coach used to say .. "DIAGONALLSSS! Play diagonal!!) You will see alot more holes open up in their defence as they try to shuffle over.

Anyway good luck & cheers again. PES will live on forever! :BEER:

Hey geeeeee, I just wanted to say a big thanks for making this thread! I would never have known about this awesome version of PES. I am planning on buying my first PS2 just to play these classics (also WE10JL) on original hardware. Haven't tried your OF yet but cheers to you & everyone here helping, for keeping these games alive.

Also, I'm by no means an expert but here are some of my general tips for this generation of PES games.
'Super cancel' is your best friend. It's fidgety sometimes but once you get the hang of it, you can make your players run to the ball more instead of waiting for it on rails. Also in defending you can make some vital interceptions that you couldn't otherwise. It's just a struggle to switch to the right defender sometimes, especially on corners. (& I just have to note how natural the interceptions & ball collision can be in these old gems. e.g The ball won't just bounce back to the oppostion everytime you make a tackle.)

In regards to formation, if I'm struggling to create chances I will get the wingers further forward. Perhaps 4-3-3 or even 4-2-4 & start switching the play alot. Your RWF/LWF will draw their SB's out of position & they lose more of their defensive shape. You can use the 'opp.side attack' strategy so your playing with more width. Lot's of long passes switching from one flank to the other (or as my old coach used to say .. "DIAGONALLSSS! Play diagonal!!) You will see alot more holes open up in their defence as they try to shuffle over.

Hey Joga, no worries I am just pleased that people are still into retro PES. Hopefully you will enjoy the patch.

Thanks for the tips, I had a feeling Super Cancel would be the way to do it. I use it to let a ball go out of play but havent tried it to move to the ball yet. I think because sometimes the games can be so tense, I just hope the ball will reach my player because the Super Cancel can be a bit fiddly.

Regarding the formation I normally have 2 x CFs and have 2 x SMFs up to their highest position and widest position. They play like wingers but are also defensive. With the Opposite Side Attack, do you select it only when you need it or leave it on?

Thanks again for the tips. :)

Regarding the formation I normally have 2 x CFs and have 2 x SMFs up to their highest position and widest position. They play like wingers but are also defensive. With the Opposite Side Attack, do you select it only when you need it or leave it on?

Yeah, so you set it up in Team>Change Gameplan & choose with whichever of the 4 face buttons in here & then set gameplan control to manual.
You can trigger it on & off during gameplay with L2+your set button (you'll see the graphic for this button combo).

Amazing patch by the way! I just started a master league to try & take Blackburn Rovers back up to the Prem.
I haven't been following along much these days but are they really THIS short of players :LMAO: They can't even fill the bench on matchday.
Challenge accepted!

Hey, I did the same, bought all the games, they really are timeless classics.

However my advice is to purchase the games, create iso files and then use PCSX2 on a PC. That way you can play them up to 4K.

I’m saying this because I did what you did and got a PS2 again, but playing them with high resolution is incredible experience. Just a thought.

However my advice is to purchase the games, create iso files and then use PCSX2 on a PC. That way you can play them up to 4K.

I’m saying this because I did what you did and got a PS2 again, but playing them with high resolution is incredible experience. Just a thought.

And now it's even possible to extract the PS2 bios from the PS3 firmware available online on Sony's website.

I've done the same thing : dumping my PS2 collection to play them on PCSX2.

I only upscale 2x as I use a small factor PC without dedicated GPU for light gaming (ASRock DeskMini x300 + Ryzen 5600G). On a 1080p TV, it still looks good.

And now it's even possible to extract the PS2 bios from the PS3 firmware available online on Sony's website.

I've done the same thing : dumping my PS2 collection to play them on PCSX2.

I only upscale 2x as I use a small factor PC without dedicated GPU for light gaming (ASRock DeskMini x300 + Ryzen 5600G). On a 1080p TV, it still looks good.
And to add, if you check out a really cool thread on the editing area, you can modify the LOD setting of the game so keeps high level visuals even on the wide camera.

https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-we-jl-fix-lod-level.91388/

Very true, PCSX2 is quality. Although 4K is just a daydream at the moment for my RX570 :)) I am on 1080p like Juventino32, but it is still makes a big difference.
I also discovered you can tweak even more graphics options with the external shader, GSdx_FX. It should come with PCSX2.
video plugin settings > external shader & you should have the files in shaders folder. You can tweak the options in GSdx_FX_Settings.ini.

The real plus for me though is the slowmotion feature. Emulation settings > GS > slowmotion adjust. You toggle it with Shift+Tab.
I always like slower the gameplay options in the more recent PES editions, so I set it about 86% & the animations speeds feel more natural.

Does anybody have any tips on playing this game?

I am playing ML and i am struggling so much. Playing as Huddersfield with their players (not default ML).

This is where i need help:

1. How to make my player move to the ball? Sometimes he stands there waiting for the ball to come to him, by that time the CPU nicks the ball.
  2. How to win headers better when defending corner? The CPU wins them 99% of the time.
  3. When we do win the header, how to stop it constantly falling to their player on the edge of the box? That is really frustrating because when we have the same scenario at their end, we never have any players on the edge of the box when they header the ball out from a corner.
  4. Any formations and tactics would help a great deal. I was playing 4-4-2, one DM, one AM, 2 SMFs out wide and high up the pitch. It was working ok but sometimes the CPU adapts to my play and makes it so difficult.
So far in the league I have played 11 games and conceded about 25 and scored about 6. We are really poor, and it is getting frustrating.

Any help will be appreciated. :)

I would like to add to what @Joga said that in corners you can use the general Attack/Defense level of the team with L2+R1/R2 (In Formations settings->Team->Attack/Defense set it to manual).
Depending on the formation that you are using setting this level to full defense in corners should populate your box with players and probably your CFs will be near the edge of the box. I think that also varies according to the level of individual defense of the player (Formations settings->Individual->Defense "arrow").
You can also select the "Counter Attack" while defending a corner to place your strikers higher up the field and to try different positions (Formations settings->Team->Change Game plan and set it to manual).

In addition to what was said with the supercancel, obviously the stats of the players such as balance and jump come into play when you struggle for the ball.
Another move I like to do in attack is a long frontal pass to a strong CF player (with high balance), using the Super Cancel to disturb the defender so he cannot make the header (sometimes the referee calls the foul). If it goes well, this creates a space and a possible scoring opportunity.

Finally, over the years I got used to the 3-5-2 formation especially when my team starts weak (Default ML players or short squad team), specifically using RB-CB-LB on defense complemented with two DMF, varying between a lot of ball possession in the midfield and fast counter attack, all this taking into account the individual and team tweaks mentioned above. But I don't know if I would recommend using that formation, it depends on your way of playing.

P.S. Thank you for your new OF + ISO for this wonderful game ! :TU:

I would like to add to what @Joga said that in corners you can use the general Attack/Defense level of the team with L2+R1/R2 (In Formations settings->Team->Attack/Defense set it to manual).
Depending on the formation that you are using setting this level to full defense in corners should populate your box with players and probably your CFs will be near the edge of the box. I think that also varies according to the level of individual defense of the player (Formations settings->Individual->Defense "arrow").
You can also select the "Counter Attack" while defending a corner to place your strikers higher up the field and to try different positions (Formations settings->Team->Change Game plan and set it to manual).

In addition to what was said with the supercancel, obviously the stats of the players such as balance and jump come into play when you struggle for the ball.
Another move I like to do in attack is a long frontal pass to a strong CF player (with high balance), using the Super Cancel to disturb the defender so he cannot make the header (sometimes the referee calls the foul). If it goes well, this creates a space and a possible scoring opportunity.

Finally, over the years I got used to the 3-5-2 formation especially when my team starts weak (Default ML players or short squad team), specifically using RB-CB-LB on defense complemented with two DMF, varying between a lot of ball possession in the midfield and fast counter attack, all this taking into account the individual and team tweaks mentioned above. But I don't know if I would recommend using that formation, it depends on your way of playing.

P.S. Thank you for your new OF + ISO for this wonderful game ! :TU:

Thanks for the tips. :)

I will try these out too.

What level do you guys play on? I was playing on the highest but after getting hammered pretty much every game I have decided to drop down a level (one above Regular).

Thanks for the tips. :)

I will try these out too.

What level do you guys play on? I was playing on the highest but after getting hammered pretty much every game I have decided to drop down a level (one above Regular).

Max also.
The first season with default ML was very very difficult.
Second season started to be better and now in third with few good youths who grew, I'm playing the head of D2 League.

For the first season I was playing with default mode for player selection. After I switched to full manual, it's easier for me to defend.

Max also.
Second season started to be better and now in third with few good youths who grew, I'm playing the head of D2 League.

For the first season I was playing with default mode for player selection. After I switched to full manual, it's easier for me to defend.

You've got me thinking now, maybe i should start a new one again on max and just persevere. The joy of scoring and winning on max is more fulfilling than on the lower levels.

What ML difficulty are you playing on? and transfer setting? I will put both on Normal, as mentioned before ‘Normal’ transfers should eliminate the 5000 players. :)

You've got me thinking now, maybe i should start a new one again on max and just persevere. The joy of scoring and winning on max is more fulfilling than on the lower levels.

What ML difficulty are you playing on? and transfer setting? I will put both on Normal, as mentioned before ‘Normal’ transfers should eliminate the 5000 players. :)

Max difficulty for ML difficulty and normal transfert rate (I always used this setting even before I knew max would lead to 5000 players).

Note that even on normal transfert frequency, if you use a created from Other League C, it may also have 5000 players. This does not change.

Max also.

I agree, full manual is essential for switching to the right player.

I play on 5 stars difficulty also, the beginning of default ML is brutal, but it makes the feeling of building up your squad all the more rewarding for it.
I think i'll put this Blackburn save on hold & start a default ML line-up with them (atleast I'll have some fresh players for the 2nd match :LOL:)

There is usually an unlock for the 6th star difficulty too in these games iirc. I might tesdt it later on this version, as I remember in PES6, it made every opposition striker have 99 Shot Accuracy lol

I agree, full manual is essential for switching to the right player.

I play on 5 stars difficulty also, the beginning of default ML is brutal, but it makes the feeling of building up your squad all the more rewarding for it.
I think i'll put this Blackburn save on hold & start a default ML line-up with them (atleast I'll have some fresh players for the 2nd match :LOL:)

There is usually an unlock for the 6th star difficulty too in these games iirc. I might tesdt it later on this version, as I remember in PES6, it made every opposition striker have 99 Shot Accuracy lol

Regarding ‘full manual switching’ do you mean you actually pick the player to switch to? I find on ‘0 Bar’ that I still have to frantically press the button until it selects the player I want.

Unfortunately only 5 levels in PES2008. 😐

Max difficulty for ML difficulty and normal transfert rate (I always used this setting even before I knew max would lead to 5000 players).

Note that even on normal transfert frequency, if you use a created from Other League C, it may also have 5000 players. This does not change.

Hopefully i wont have any 5000 players then as I did not use Other League C. ;)

This game is so good when it all clicks.

Just started a new ML as Hartlepool on the highest match difficulty level and normal ML difficulty. Played Watford to begin with and went into a 2-0 lead at half time. But then they got one back with a 20yard strike and we were holding on. I managed to keep my cool during defending (for a change) and eventually got a third. 3-1 victory.

The next game was Norwich away and that was such a good game. It stayed at 0-0 until about the 70th minute when they scored. Then we had about a 5 min spell attacking their goal but we just couldnt score. But what i liked is everything i tried look really realistic. At one point i put a cross field pass into the penalty area and our player, I think Mahoney, first time volleyed it but the keeper saved it. They then broke away and scored to win 2-0 but it was such a good realistic game.

Looking forward to really getting into this now and trying some of the suggestions. :)

Regarding ‘full manual switching’ do you mean you actually pick the player to switch to? I find on ‘0 Bar’ that I still have to frantically press the button until it selects the player I want.

Yeah, that's the one. And yes I am frantically switching sometimes too :LOL:

@geeeeee Good luck with the 'pool in ML. You'll need it. I find PES 2008 (PS2) is ruthless when it comes to going up against the AI with lesser teams. I have a ML started with the defaults in Div 1 and while it's like PES5 in terms of difficulty in scoring, the AI in this is ruthless in a way the otherwise perfect PES5 isn't.

I've found switching to a 3-5-2 formation with two defensive DMs or a DM and a deep CM with two wide and an AMF at least stemmed the flow of goals against. It didn't however save me from relegation and a serious rebuilding job in Div2 and hopefully promotion.

I play on Top Player and with a self-imposed wage cap of 400, just for that added difficulty and to narrow my choice of signings. I did just pick up Carlos Valderrama though...hair and flair. And he only made his debut in the pre-season friendly for the baldy star team! :LOL:

So I've finally tried this with the impressive Gee's 2022/23 OF. Still to get more playing time, but already have to say it plays interestingly. I'd have a couple of questions, due to my very little experience with emulators:

• How to set a proper aspect ratio? On 4:3 screen it looks as it should, but on widescreen I get a distorted picture.
  • Probably a distant shot, but is there a way to zoom-out camera slightly?

@geeeeee Good luck with the 'pool in ML. You'll need it. I find PES 2008 (PS2) is ruthless when it comes to going up against the AI with lesser teams. I have a ML started with the defaults in Div 1 and while it's like PES5 in terms of difficulty in scoring, the AI in this is ruthless in a way the otherwise perfect PES5 isn't.

I've found switching to a 3-5-2 formation with two defensive DMs or a DM and a deep CM with two wide and an AMF at least stemmed the flow of goals against. It didn't however save me from relegation and a serious rebuilding job in Div2 and hopefully promotion.

I play on Top Player and with a self-imposed wage cap of 400, just for that added difficulty and to narrow my choice of signings. I did just pick up Carlos Valderrama though...hair and flair. And he only made his debut in the pre-season friendly for the baldy star team! :LOL:

:LOL: Valderrama

Thanks again for the tips. I only picked the 'pool because they are the lowest placed team out of the teams that I selected for the ML. My goal is to get them promoted (obviously) and see how far I get until a team wins the Champions League 10 times. Then I will look at the ML Team Rankings and then move to manage another team either lower or just above Hartlepool in the rankings. I know it will mean starting a different ML completely but I thought I would do that to increase the longevity and variety of the game.

I really wish there was a way to convert the ML file into an Option File, so that all the transfers and stat adjustments could follow along then I could move to a team which would include all their new players etc... (I am dreaming I know :P )

That is my problem with PES5, the attacking AI is not as good, even though it is still a fantastic game.

So I've finally tried this with the impressive Gee's 2022/23 OF. Still to get more playing time, but already have to say it plays interestingly. I'd have a couple of questions, due to my very little experience with emulators:

• How to set a proper aspect ratio? On 4:3 screen it looks as it should, but on widescreen I get a distorted picture.

Being honest I only play it on my physical PS2 so I cannot answer your first question.

Regarding the camera settings I use wide and have the angle changed to the furthest point rather than the default setting.

Perhaps someone who uses an emulator can answer your questions better. ;)

I hope you get to enjoy the game Tinker :)

try to look on this answers i gave some time ago about ps2 aspect ratio fix and camera zoom https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes4-we8-camera-zoom-tool.88912/post-3856594 i couldn't ever made a tool for that because i dont really understand what those values did to the game but i tried to explain how to do it properly via hex

edit: also check the internal resolution on the video plugin settings, remember that'll depend on your computer setup how far you can go on this

1683033009784.png

Thanks both!

@geeeeee , yes, I'm using Wide and angle 9 as well for all these games. Was thinking more whether it's possible to zoom out a bit more somehow. @marqisspes6 , thanks, but I won't get into hex editing myself I guess - except where it concerns simple value changes, for me it's a minefield :) also, 4:3 and are good enough settings to play.

I've increased my internal resolution in plugin settings, now it looks crisp sharp. Oh one question: which renderer should I use? It's set to OpenGl by default for me, but I see you have Direct3D 11 in the screenshot above.

P.s.: also, is there an OF editor tool for PES 2008 PS2?

Thanks both!

@geeeeee , yes, I'm using Wide and angle 9 as well for all these games. Was thinking more whether it's possible to zoom out a bit more somehow. @marqisspes6 , thanks, but I won't get into hex editing myself I guess - except where it concerns simple value changes, for me it's a minefield :) also, 4:3 and are good enough settings to play.

I've increased my internal resolution in plugin settings, now it looks crisp sharp. Oh one question: which renderer should I use? It's set to OpenGl by default for me, but I see you have Direct3D 11 in the screenshot above.

about the hex editing, give it a try if you want to zoom out a little bit, it aint too hard

about the render... it depends on your hardware, make some test and see which one is better for your computer, sadly i never got a perfect configuration for emulator some stuff still fails, but is the best we can do

Thanks both!

P.s.: also, is there an OF editor tool for PES 2008 PS2?

Try this by @adams06 complete with 'Paste' button :)

https://evoweb.uk/threads/the-retro-pes-corner.78697/post-3903506

Back
Top Bottom