PES 2018 Tactics Discussion & Real teams Thread

Ok, i setup the premier league but i must admit this year i am severely unhappy with this game. Theres something very wrong right now, I've never been so disinterested with a PES game so quickly.

Big problem is the AI just do not TACKLE, they just back off, back off, let you attack them and if you get ahead they cheese tackle you miraculously.

Done some AI vs AI tests and this really highlight this game breaking issue. The game is completely lob sided towards attacking out wide, crossing and high pressure defending, defending deep is absolutely useless for the user and makes the AI dreadful to play against.

I've been busy with PES Universe content so finally when i got time to look into the game i can still do more tactics and I can now produce more books than ever this year since i recreated the graphic in photoshop and will simply update them as the weeks go by rather than screenshot them ingame.

All in all from my tests using the tactics i do and implementing the new season systems so far helps things as the AI di push up and crowd the center of the park more but the 'back off' problem makes every game a really horrible chore to play.

Its unbelievably frustrating because the game is almost there at the promised land but this tackling issue has stopped me for wanting to play the game at all right now offline.

Pressure aggressive and Frontline pressure settings gives you this back off result? It imrpoved the ia behavior a lot for me.

Maybe the update helped too, i'm seeing a decent amout of fouls. It's all about trying to provoke them

It doesn't matter what tactical setting yo give the AI they back off and just allow you time to do what you want, they crowd the middle so you have no choice but to buildup out wide to score.

The issue is the midfield just drop off like crazy regardless of your settings but if you set your wide players in 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3 to stay as attackers o defence they just stand there and don't track back at all giving the opposition lots of time and giant gap between defence, midfield to attack. Combine this with the game's second biggest issue with is poor responsiveness in defence. I've seen two absolutely ridiculous own goals from the AI with defenders slowly reacting

This is a problem with core coding of this game and no amount of tactics will fix this! Konami must sort this out or we will end up with another PES 2014 on our hands!

The game has only just been released, this is the time to be playing the game in a vanilla style to understands its fundamental ups and downs, i think you have to give it 2 months at least to fully understand it inside out however again, i'm very very frustrated, the gameplay apart from these two issues is quality!

Did you update your game? Really looks like your issues have been nerfed.

Also i feel like it's more of a realsitic gameplay to use the width more than it used to in 17. The problem is balancing it all, but most teams irl will find space on the flanks after working the ball in midfield. That's how football works, the defending team will always take care of the center first and then the sides.

Also now we can make the build up zone center and still have wide plays from the IA which I'm incredibly happy about.

Klash, try Legend. Yes, this difficulty is really lethal in its passing and finishing, but the way the A.I. pressures is miles better than on Top Player and Superstar.

But why do we have to resort to a locked difficulty when we already have superstar and top player? What are those 2 there for then? Also what does passive wing/flank defending have anything to do with difficulty? It's just a basic "see ball, get ball" command. This backing off business isn't right and needs patching. And btw, it's still there in legend mode, as I showed in my video here.

I could do this with a smaller/slower team even. I could do it much easier with a bigger/faster team.

But why do we have to resort to a locked difficulty when we already have superstar and top player? What are those 2 there for then? Also what does passive wing/flank defending have anything to do with difficulty? It's just a basic "see ball, get ball" command. This backing off business isn't right and needs patching. And btw, it's still there in legend mode, as I showed in my video here.

I could do this with a smaller/slower team even. I could do it much easier with a bigger/faster team.
To be honest, Top Player and Superstar are worthless to me. I hate how the A.I. plays on those two difficulties, its disgustingly repetitive and moronic.
The game definitely needs patching. They should make the A.I. more reactive to balls passing by them. No matter the difficulty, when you are pressuring, the A.I. must be able to miss shots, passes, crosses, etc. more often.
If a team wants to play with long balls and wide wings, then it should be based on their tactics, not just on A.I. coding. No matter which team you are, they will do their best to exploit the wings, it is their number 1 goal, if you deny that, they will think otherwise...
I really think we must collaborate all together on deciding which are the most devastating A.I. and gameplay problems in Pro Evo 18, so that they can fix those with patches. If we are just crying over every single little or big problem and not focusing on the most critical ones, I don't see them changing anything meaningful.

Last edited:
Yeah, i was being stupid you're all right after more time playing.

Many issues, maybe too many. Will they take the time?

Hope they fix the back peddling at least and the ia variety because it's very repetitive..

Tinkering with tactics does make a difference, especially in tournament modes like Champions League and Europa League. In Master League, the difference in A.I. playstyle should be even more prevalent. Atm, my current options are like this: Top Player, Normal Speed, Full Manual. With some A.I. tactical tinkering depending on the opponent, I'm having a blast, something I haven't felt in a long time.
Test things out, don't look at the game as with FIFA, not everything is right there in front of your eyes, you must search for it, because the game allows you to do more, than you are able to see.

Tinkering with tactics does make a difference, especially in tournament modes like Champions League and Europa League. In Master League, the difference in A.I. playstyle should be even more prevalent. Atm, my current options are like this: Top Player, Normal Speed, Full Manual. With some A.I. tactical tinkering depending on the opponent, I'm having a blast, something I haven't felt in a long time.
Test things out, don't look at the game as with FIFA, not everything is right there in front of your eyes, you must search for it, because the game allows you to do more, than you are able to see.

Willing to shed some light on the tactical changes you made?

Willing to shed some light on the tactical changes you made?
I've been playing recently with AC Milan and gegenpressing with a tighter team composition, and wings backs, worked really well for me. But it really depends on the opponent. You should try different things, to see what works for you.
I have around 40-ish hours so far and I am still tinkering every team.

on the web there are a lot of PC users that experience problems with bundesliga tactics (keeper at midfield, wings that are misplaced and a lot of others weird things), i don't know if also on console there are the same issues, btw to fix that just go in edit mode and save a correct tactics from another team (maybe one that can fit with your team) then go on bundes team on gameplan and load the right tactics and fix what do you need to match the real gameplan

Data Management --> Load (or Save for first operation)

player cards are better this year, especially if the player has the fitting stats.

messi in the creative playmaker role + his very high att prowess is a beauty to watch moving. You can't mark him he's always making off the ball body feints and changing directions quickly.

It makes the game play more like real life barca, with him at the center of the plays. Pass him the ball as much as you can if you play with them :COOL:
No need to make him manually do runs, he'll take care of himself and will always be available as a passing solution. And make him the playmaker he truly his, don't sprint forward with him if you're not close to the box. He prefers to dictate the tempo and the game replicates that fine. Don't forget to make his attack position a SS. make ronaldo a fox in the box too, way better.

Generally players with high attacking prowess are not as dumb than last year, so enjoy playing with them and watching their off the ball movement and how they differ depending on their cards, stats, situation, and offensive position.

For example Silva and KDB high att prowess are no issue, as AMF they will mostly use it to make clever line breaking moves, or available for a pass when needed. they won't run stupidly toward the goal like they used too.

Def prowess increases make the press and defensive shape a lot better. Don't hesitate to try different values to fit better the players or the team.

Beware most stats affect each other. Try to understand what each one does, what animations they trigger etc. Always take the player and team as a whole because other stats, skills, cards, ia styles are always part of the final result in front of your eyes.

I did stuff like that for some teams and players and i love the results. I will probably make a thread.

I've been doing about 17 different teams kits for PES Universe v2 which will be released on friday so i've done hardly anything with tactics bar create the premier League.

I've simmed a few games, it improves the game and the AI is harder to break down as repetitively but the massive errors still ruin things.

Dont see that problem at all on Top Player in Master League and ive not changed a single setting.

Exhibition, i do see it... take from that what you will.

Please share @klashmam been waiting for you tactics. Please may I ask what is the best camera angle you use. I'm trying to find one similar to that of the game that must not be mentioned.

@Sovereign Hope I was watching that on Youtube the other day actually, i would say start using SS for certain players especially Cristiano Ronaldo.

SS is an attacking free role and with Cristiano it allows him to make central runs to score poacher like goals, headers and he will cut inside a lot more when he picks the ball up on the flanks.

When you set players to RWF or LWF they tend to just stay down the flanks.

Keep a mind on the transition and balance with Defensive midfielders also but i like this. Came out pretty well, What level is this tested on?

@Sovereign Hope I was watching that on Youtube the other day actually, i would say start using SS for certain players especially Cristiano Ronaldo.

SS is an attacking free role and with Cristiano it allows him to make central runs to score poacher like goals, headers and he will cut inside a lot more when he picks the ball up on the flanks.

When you set players to RWF or LWF they tend to just stay down the flanks.

Keep a mind on the transition and balance with Defensive midfielders also but i like this. Came out pretty well, What level is this tested on?
Its on superstar. Agree on the ss position for ronaldo, robben, messi, etc. The focus here is to increase amount of players to join the attack and fill the spaces so that it wont be too end to end during transition.
Also to increase pressure to the ball carrier by using liverpool base tactic on real madrid and applied gegenpress for my team. But maybe it caused the match to become a bit hectic

This time the cpu has blue on attack and red on defense.

bring in mind that exhibitions doesn't reflect the most of the behaviors of the cpu, and adding advanced tactics to gameplan doesn't change nothing, you should copy paste a tactics behavior that you like (like you did with real using liverpool), they remain stick to the base tactis that you have copied...
to test that try competition like league or cup, to simulate the behaviors in those competitions.
Instead if are talking about tactics that players should use, sorry i misunderstood :)

bring in mind that exhibitions doesn't reflect the most of the behaviors of the cpu, and adding advanced tactics to gameplan doesn't change nothing, you should copy paste a tactics behavior that you like (like you did with real using liverpool), they remain stick to the base tactis that you have copied...
to test that try competition like league or cup, to simulate the behaviors in those competitions.
Instead if are talking about tactics that players should use, sorry i misunderstood :)
Will try on competition. I copied from team that use blue/red on att/def level hoping to reduce the ai from rushing attack and play more calm football- reduce loft through ball maybe? But I dont get the differences between red and blue on defense level.
ps: @kilay would you help me on global editor by ejogc327. It seem different from last year. cant seem to make the edits stick into the game

Back
Top Bottom