PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I see a future where PES (maybe PES 2078) uses DNA to photo-realistically and holographically recreate every footballer and their physical abilities, right down to the shape and colour of their testicles swinging out of the bottom of their shorts when they run up to take a free-kick, and someone somewhere will leave a review of 2/10 because "the nets don't move right so what's the point in scoring".

:D

And I'll be that guy

Putting together videos like that is the only way to really make your criticism hit home - not just to Konami, but to PES fans too (and nothing gets tweaked unless enough people complain about it - Adam freely states that they tend to work on the things that they hear about the most often). This is why I love guys like @Matt10 - if Konami paid attention to videos like these, even if they didn't agree, it would just open minds enough for them to examine how they code player positioning. That can only be a good thing.

Anyway... I'm trying to swallow my cynicism for the time being, because I trust @B-Man entirely - he's one of us - and he kindly answered my questions about pass accuracy last night, saying he played for EIGHT HOURS (which is enough time to get a real feel, surely) and that passing and shooting does have more error.

If I see one video, just one, of a bad pass from the AI leading to a loose ball (or, less important, the same thing from a human playing on the lowest assisted settings)... I'll board the hype train so hard that I'll fly it to the fucking moon.
yes, in the PES part of that video, if defenders defended like that, they would be sold in summer transfer for 10 euro.
In today's game your AI defenders ball watch and miss tackle way to much, in old PES they defend much better.
It's like my AI defenders play a part in the scripting of goals. Big turnoff in 2017!

New screens
253509_3_fhd.jpg

253509_3_fhd.jpg
why don't they move those ugly ass adds?
put them on the working digital ones.

yes, in the PES part of that video, if defenders defended like that, they would be sold in summer transfer for 10 euro.
In today's game your AI defenders ball watch and miss tackle way to much, in old PES they defend much better.
It's like my AI defenders play a part in the scripting of goals. Big turnoff in 2017!

Yeah, the backpedals are nice, but for the Coutinho goal, definitely way off the context of defending. No defender, in any world, would start backpedaling...to the sidelines...after being wrong-footed.

I trust B-Man's opinion 1000% percent more than anyone, so his writeup is what I'm going to take away from the impressions. I personally feel the gameplay videos are not showing what is truly under the hood (controller in hands), but it still looks like PES 17's gameplay to me. I was extra optimistic before the videos, now I'm just back to cautiously optimistic.

Coutinho's goal is the representation of a real-life goal. Check on the PC thread, there's a video with an example...

We should make one and only thread for PS4/ONE/PC btw

Yeah, the backpedals are nice, but for the Coutinho goal, definitely way off the context of defending. No defender, in any world, would start backpedaling...to the sidelines...after being wrong-footed.

I trust B-Man's opinion 1000% percent more than anyone, so his writeup is what I'm going to take away from the impressions. I personally feel the gameplay videos are not showing what is truly under the hood (controller in hands), but it still looks like PES 17's gameplay to me. I was extra optimistic before the videos, now I'm just back to cautiously optimistic.

Wouldn't base too much off of that goal. They were recreating real goals so I assume a human controlled player purposefully playing crappy defense. Here is the comparison between the goals though, ha.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Right, I think that's the problem here. It's a 1-on-1 in the PES version, but IRL, it's 1 v 2 (support), instead the other defender stays back and does nothing. I know they're trying to recreate it, but it's important to address positioning as the fundamental. We saw what happened in PES 14 thru PES 17.

I think every goals showed in the trailer are representation of real-life goal. You shouldn't make analyse based on this trailer about how's AI reacting, positionning etc.

I think every goals showed in the trailer are representation of real-life goal. You shouldn't make analyse based on this trailer about how's AI reacting, positionning etc.

Regardless if it's a trailer or not, it's still in-game footage, right? There's no harm in analyzing it then. PES have not gotten positioning correct, out of the box, for several years. It's the catalyst to proper gameplay. It accomplishes all those little features that are listed on the improvements, with one swoop, instead of itemizing little bits of gameplay.

Even if it's in-game "visually" that doesn't means nothing, if those goals are re-created like Devin said with a method, positionning errors on purpose, there's no relevance to analyse them.

Edit: and i think it's a bit hard to reproduce those type of goals, it takes time an patience. Ask Weedens.

You could analyse animations, visuals, etc. and i'm ok with it, but doing the same with AI or Gks with those kind of trailer which relate real-life goal are for me at least, a time-wasting.

Last edited:
Wouldn't base too much off of that goal. They were recreating real goals so I assume a human controlled player purposefully playing crappy defense. Here is the comparison between the goals though, ha.

giphy.gif
true, i think it's on easy difficulty.
but what about your AI defenders on your team?
they ball watch to much, let players go bye, and miss time tackles to often. There nothing like old PES defenders.
They are just training dummies.

Even if it's in-game "visually" that doesn't means nothing, if those goals are re-created like Devin said with a method, positionning errors on purpose, there's no relevance to analyse them.

Edit: and i think it's a bit hard to reproduce those type of goals, it takes time an patience. Ask Weedens.

You could analyse animations, visuals, etc. and i'm ok with it, but doing the same with AI or Gks with those kind of trailer which relate real-life goal are for me at least, a time-wasting.
i agree with what your saying but i play on regular and professional difficulty and see AI defenders just letting you go bye and not tackling or trying to.
at .12 seconds why doesn't #2 try to tackle ? He just backs off.
And what about your AI teammates defending?
AI defending in general is poorly programmed.

Last edited:
playermodels are beautiful in that tunnel cam with the 'pool players.

&Brian thanks for the insight but you know if the final game is just a bit off compared to what you provisioned for us you'll be crucified here :P !

Sure, but it shows snippets of what is possible. Whether what is shown being possible is negative or positive, is up to your own interpretation/perspective. My perspective is that if the second defender doesn't do anything, that means we have to control that secondary pressure option again. So that leads me to believe that common defensive sense is going to be questioned. Where else does this happen on the pitch I wonder?

Like I said, there is no harm in it, and I hardly think it's a waste of time. It's only a waste of time if it wasn't in-game footage. I believe in jumping on these things early because KONAMI actually listen to feedback, and it's the little things like that which are going to make the difference of feeling satisfying/earned versus feeling like it was gifted. PES17 is incredibly boring because it's too much on the gifted side, I hope PES 18 doesn't make the same mistakes.

I will wait IGN video.. maybe they will show the same gameplay video but with 60 fps...

meh...3 soulless goals, LOT of space around the players, no midfield battle, defence is all about being in the box. its like they nerfed the defense

graphics, animations, ui is great. the ones i dont care about at all :D

After that vid this one is out of this world. EPIC GAME with two guys who havent played it for a decade!

The midfield play was almost non existent in the shacknews stream, the same tactics problems as in pes 2017 seem to be involved.

Back
Top Bottom