PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

For me, it looks nice enough, but if there is a big leap in visuals I simply won't see that in the default wide cam they are using unless it is running directly on my own PS4 and on my TV before my own eyes.

I play 2017 using a 3, 0, 10 custom camera set-up and it looks and runs lovely, particularly in the Brazilan Allianz stadium. I can see the improvements on that rough stream as they are playing in what was the ugliest light found in the game - the Camp Nou at daytime and 2018 looks waaaaay better, even on a stream. Once I get my hands on it, apply my own camera and control settings, then just let it run I think I will truly see the visual and animation improvements.
DCO6sjKXkAAiZlS.jpg

DCO6zECXUAIK3xM.jpg

For me, it looks nice enough, but if there is a big leap in visuals I simply won't see that in the default wide cam they are using unless it is running directly on my own PS4 and on my TV before my own eyes.

I play 2017 using a 3, 0, 10 custom camera set-up and it looks and runs lovely, particularly in the Brazilan Allianz stadium. I can see the improvements on that rough stream as they are playing in what was the ugliest light found in the game - the Camp Nou at daytime and 2018 looks waaaaay better, even on a stream. Once I get my hands on it, apply my own camera and control settings, then just let it run I think I will truly see the visual and animation improvements.
DCO6sjKXkAAiZlS.jpg

DCO6zECXUAIK3xM.jpg
Bro is this shot of your cam angel please can you confirm the settings. I would like to use it please

Bro is this shot of your cam angel please can you confirm the settings. I would like to use it please

Custom camera settings (selected pitchside first, I believe) then from the top down in the settings it is 3,0,10 dude.

That must be the auto shielding new feature. Done automatically by the AI. According to Adam, very intuitive and his favourite new feature.

That must be the auto shielding new feature. Done automatically by the AI. According to Adam, very intuitive and his favourite new feature.
yeah, but in the E3 game-play video did it get used?
Because i didn't see either player use it.
great addition, and i'll use it.

image.png

Well looking at this photo, (#10 arms look more flexible) it looks like better animations and shouldn't feel stiff. Hopefully!

image.png

Go Messi !

Face with emotions, looks different from 2017.

image.png

Another style of automatic shielding

image.png

Torres using automatic shielding to turn and shoot

Last edited:
Custom camera settings (selected pitchside first, I believe) then from the top down in the settings it is 3,0,10 dude.
wow, it's very nice, makes it a new game almost, i have now 2,0,10 pitch side.. very nice!

thx

Ok, what's Griezmann doing here?
He's completely looking the other way, like the Barsa player is going to pass to him :COAT:...... Not even trying to guard Messi. :CONF:Leading to a goal.
AI teammates need reprogrammed !

564440c0a132c22f1fe9bc36b91a019a.jpg

image.png

Last edited:
Ok, what's Griezmann doing here?
He's completely looking the other way, like the Barsa player is going to pass to him :COAT:...... Not even trying to guard Messi. :CONF:

The same thing that Chiellini was doing on Ronaldo's first goal in the UCL final recently. Are we going to freeze frame everything and analyse it like this? I'm at the station waiting for the hype train to run me over :BRMM:

More bad AI defending Example :
IRL they try to tackle and block, in PES what do they do?
just pointing out something that's overlooked by PES fans.
It's the difference between WE9LE and 2018.
If this was fixed it would improve this game 1000x
I understand difficulty setting will effect this but how much?
Another thing, i think it's a bad idea for Konami to create these goals on easy difficulty, it just makes the AI defense look dumb and useless.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Its 1:15 AM here in L.A. but I wanted to post to give you guys impressions of what I played. I did not get to play the A.I. But I spent 8 hours playing multiplayer. Remember, this is based on the code that I played...I have no idea what feedback they will get that could potentially change the game for Gamescom and the demo.

SHOOTING-I see some nerves here about shooting. From what I played shooting was actually pretty good. You need to position your body right now or you will miss hit or slice a shot wide or over the bar. Factor in keepers making saves that last year you knew would be goals adds a lot. Overall shooting was a lot better than last year, more variety in ball physics, locations and a lot of shots don't hit the target. When you compare that to how automated and accurate shooting was last year it really is night and day. But the game does need more shot animations and that was fed back to Adam and the team.

PASSING- Ball physics may be the best PES has ever had...honestly...I dont care what you think you see on the streams or in trailer but dudes they are awesome. Passing is a joy. Varied, free, a lot of error if you are not facing the way you are playing. More error under pressure. PING PONG PASSING IS GONE...atleast on 1 Bar. Yes unfortunately the data they have received is massive amounts of people play with different pass assist bars so it looks like they'll be here for the foreseeable future. But 1 bar is great. You notice with players like Iniesta if his passing lane is blocked off to who he wants to pass to he will find a way to curl his pass around the defender which other players can't do. Ball Physics in general are great. You notice defenders passes are different to midfielders and forwards hard to explain but makes you not want to try to play with the ball around your back line when being pressed. I do not have a single complaint with ball physics guys.

KEEPERS- Their was an incident in the first game which made me nervous I played Adam where he got 1 v 1 with my keeper and I held triangle for the keeper to rush out and when adam shot the keeper went the wrong way and tried to go back the other way and looked like he got stuck in an animation. This was fed back to the team. Other than that every game after for 8 hrs the keepers were phenomenal. They had urgency, they actually bend their knees and jump side to side with outstretched arm(s) to try and save every shot. Gives more satisfaction for scoring cause it genuinely feels keeper is doing everything he can. I wish I could have recorded some saves there was a save on Messi from a cross, Messi got free and had a header 3 yards out and was tipped over the bar when Antonio was already out of his seat screaming goal in the KOnami booth lol. They just move so much more natural.

PLAYER MOVEMENT- Animations have vastly improved to the point if you are watching two people playing you'd think you were watching FIFA, atleast last years FIFA. Clearly FIFA have went balls to the wall with their animations this year but PES animations have really improved. Players feel free and not locked into anything.

AUTO SHIELD- Works brilliantly. Best feature in the game. Never happens when you dont want it to. When you defend now, you can't just rush in holding R1 + X if you do you can get turned easily and leave space to get exploited. So defending is risk reward now. Players have weight and inertia that can be used against them if they are not careful. Nestor had this problem when he first played Jose. He was used to defending a certain way and Jose was skinning him and moving into space. And because the A.I. does not retreat within seconds and go into a defensive shell like last year you can cause some serious damage. Spacing is done right.

I'll talk more tomorrow about the no touch dribble and other gameplay stuff but I got to go to bed. Listen, no bullshit, PKs are like the PS2 days...I'm feeding back they could be better I love FIFA's Pks tbh...and the advanced instructions are still their. Not as over powering or structured as last year but I am going to feed back we need PES 2011 or PS2 PES tactical system back.

The game is free guys. Feels so free. Moves free. If you don't believe me and think I'm towing the company line or kissing ass thats fine but just ask Jose, Nestor and Brian Emeka all FIFA guys they all prefer PES and were really impressed.

I don't know if this is what we'll get when demo and final game comes out. All i can tell you is what I played for 8 hrs was really good and had depth. Pace was slow but game was still responsive really crazy how they made that happen.

Hopefully tomorrow I get time with A.I.

I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Its totally different to 2017 guys...well this build is atleast. Anyway...let the hating begin but I can't change the feeling I got when I played..o well

Cheers

B-Man, thanks for that, good write up. The question in my mind is: are fouls sorted? As in there are a good amount of them? Or identical to 2017.

Putting together videos like that is the only way to really make your criticism hit home - not just to Konami, but to PES fans too (and nothing gets tweaked unless enough people complain about it - Adam freely states that they tend to work on the things that they hear about the most often). This is why I love guys like @Matt10 - if Konami paid attention to videos like these, even if they didn't agree, it would just open minds enough for them to examine how they code player positioning. That can only be a good thing.

Anyway... I'm trying to swallow my cynicism for the time being, because I trust @B-Man entirely - he's one of us - and he kindly answered my questions about pass accuracy last night, saying he played for EIGHT HOURS (which is enough time to get a real feel, surely) and that passing and shooting does have more error.

If I see one video, just one, of a bad pass from the AI leading to a loose ball (or, less important, the same thing from a human playing on the lowest assisted settings)... I'll board the hype train so hard that I'll fly it to the fucking moon.

Hi guys,

Its 1:15 AM here in L.A. but I wanted to post to give you guys impressions of what I played. I did not get to play the A.I. But I spent 8 hours playing multiplayer. Remember, this is based on the code that I played...I have no idea what feedback they will get that could potentially change the game for Gamescom and the demo.

SHOOTING-I see some nerves here about shooting. From what I played shooting was actually pretty good. You need to position your body right now or you will miss hit or slice a shot wide or over the bar. Factor in keepers making saves that last year you knew would be goals adds a lot. Overall shooting was a lot better than last year, more variety in ball physics, locations and a lot of shots don't hit the target. When you compare that to how automated and accurate shooting was last year it really is night and day. But the game does need more shot animations and that was fed back to Adam and the team.

PASSING- Ball physics may be the best PES has ever had...honestly...I dont care what you think you see on the streams or in trailer but dudes they are awesome. Passing is a joy. Varied, free, a lot of error if you are not facing the way you are playing. More error under pressure. PING PONG PASSING IS GONE...atleast on 1 Bar. Yes unfortunately the data they have received is massive amounts of people play with different pass assist bars so it looks like they'll be here for the foreseeable future. But 1 bar is great. You notice with players like Iniesta if his passing lane is blocked off to who he wants to pass to he will find a way to curl his pass around the defender which other players can't do. Ball Physics in general are great. You notice defenders passes are different to midfielders and forwards hard to explain but makes you not want to try to play with the ball around your back line when being pressed. I do not have a single complaint with ball physics guys.

KEEPERS- Their was an incident in the first game which made me nervous I played Adam where he got 1 v 1 with my keeper and I held triangle for the keeper to rush out and when adam shot the keeper went the wrong way and tried to go back the other way and looked like he got stuck in an animation. This was fed back to the team. Other than that every game after for 8 hrs the keepers were phenomenal. They had urgency, they actually bend their knees and jump side to side with outstretched arm(s) to try and save every shot. Gives more satisfaction for scoring cause it genuinely feels keeper is doing everything he can. I wish I could have recorded some saves there was a save on Messi from a cross, Messi got free and had a header 3 yards out and was tipped over the bar when Antonio was already out of his seat screaming goal in the KOnami booth lol. They just move so much more natural.

PLAYER MOVEMENT- Animations have vastly improved to the point if you are watching two people playing you'd think you were watching FIFA, atleast last years FIFA. Clearly FIFA have went balls to the wall with their animations this year but PES animations have really improved. Players feel free and not locked into anything.

AUTO SHIELD- Works brilliantly. Best feature in the game. Never happens when you dont want it to. When you defend now, you can't just rush in holding R1 + X if you do you can get turned easily and leave space to get exploited. So defending is risk reward now. Players have weight and inertia that can be used against them if they are not careful. Nestor had this problem when he first played Jose. He was used to defending a certain way and Jose was skinning him and moving into space. And because the A.I. does not retreat within seconds and go into a defensive shell like last year you can cause some serious damage. Spacing is done right.

I'll talk more tomorrow about the no touch dribble and other gameplay stuff but I got to go to bed. Listen, no bullshit, PKs are like the PS2 days...I'm feeding back they could be better I love FIFA's Pks tbh...and the advanced instructions are still their. Not as over powering or structured as last year but I am going to feed back we need PES 2011 or PS2 PES tactical system back.

The game is free guys. Feels so free. Moves free. If you don't believe me and think I'm towing the company line or kissing ass thats fine but just ask Jose, Nestor and Brian Emeka all FIFA guys they all prefer PES and were really impressed.

I don't know if this is what we'll get when demo and final game comes out. All i can tell you is what I played for 8 hrs was really good and had depth. Pace was slow but game was still responsive really crazy how they made that happen.

Hopefully tomorrow I get time with A.I.

I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Its totally different to 2017 guys...well this build is atleast. Anyway...let the hating begin but I can't change the feeling I got when I played..o well

Cheers
sounds promising. Thanks!!

what about individuality issue ? still same speed , passing accurancy etc. for 60 and 90 rated players ? it ruin whole game.

Thanks B-Man for the positive messages :TU:. If you have the chance to play the a.i :

"During A.I free kick to penalty box somewhere from the sideline (about in the middle of corner and halfway line), does the ball now find the attacker or goes out of play (as in my experience from 2017), Thanks."

Back
Top Bottom