PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

If you hit the post without the goalie touching the ball, the penalty taker isn't allowed to score the rebound. Pretty sure that's why it didn't let you take control of him.

I'm not sure but wasn't there a rule in the sixties as well that if you took a penalty and the ball hit the crossbar and came back out and hit the goalie and went in that it wasn't allowed. . probably changed since then though.

Just had a game on my alt ML,with Palermo,I played on 0 game speed,what a difference that made.
Suddenly my players were much more responsive.
To bad I hate that speed though

Just had a game on my alt ML,with Palermo,I played on 0 game speed,what a difference that made.

I did that in league mode rock and at first it seemed really refreshing but eventually it speeds up and I switched back ... just saying.

yeah, R2 is close control but L2 helps draw fouls and protect the ball
here i'm holding L2 at contact if i wasn't they would have dispossessed me easily
this is why i say the fouls work

It's up to your judgment Craney . .one thing I have found and I don't mean this in a bad way .. . Fifa players may flirt with Pes and no matter how good it is will always go back to Fifa .. and do you know why?. . ..the full licences and Sky sports atmosphere .. .when the full Fifa game comes out they make excuses about Pes and why they shouldn't play it and go back and start the usual vitriol about Pes and convince themselves that Fifa is a better experience. . .. .that will never change. . .btw this isn't directed towards you personally it's just the way it is.

Dunno if any of you guys watch Arsenal Fan TV but the typical FIFA player is like Ty and the typical PES player is like Claude.

Right now Pro Evo is the Jurgen Klopp of football games. It replicates modern football very well, whereas FIFA is the Roy Hodgson of football games, stale, pwehistoric and ovewall vewy vewy out of touch.

Dunno if any of you guys watch Arsenal Fan TV but the typical FIFA player is like Ty and the typical PES player is like Claude.

Right now Pro Evo is the Jurgen Klopp of football games. It replicates modern football very well, whereas FIFA is the Roy Hodgson of football games, stale, pwehistoric and ovewall vewy vewy out of touch.

I take it that you're Scouse . .sure we're probably related down the line.... . most of you'se have Irish surnames and sound half Dublin lol.

I’ve been playing football games since the Atari ST games to the modern day. Some of my favourites being Microprose Soccer, Kick Off 2, SWOS, Actua Soccer, ISS Deluxe, and of course the greats of the PES series.

Up to around 2008/9 I was hardcore PES no other game could touch it, From Pes 2008 however PES was good but had a number of bad flaws – poor keepers, poor online, difficult to use option files etc.

Now to this year, I have had more fun and excitement playing PES 2017 for a day than I have with any football game for a number of years – probably since PES 3 or 5.

I’ve has 4-4 thrillers, sneaky 1 – 0 wins and a few defeats along the way but the key is they are all enjoyable. When you concede you acknowledge that it’s your fault, when you score you feel like you have earnt it. No scripting, no silly situations where Gareth Mcauley (as great as he is!) is able to catch-up with De-Bruyne in full flow. The game just looks and feels right. It feels fluid, and introduces a real unpredictability into a game that FIFA just doesn’t have. For the first time since I can remember I am actually watching some of the highlights at the end of the game.

The animation of the players is fantastic, and this coupled with the excellent ball physics sees ricochets, deflections and collisions looking super realistic. As a results for the first time since I can remember I am actually watching some of the highlights at the end of the game.

This year its actually really simple to update the kits and badges using easily available option files, all you need is a USB stick and google.

I know its early days, but as I feel at the moment this may be one of the best football games ever released, maybe even one of the best games ever released. If you are in any doubt don’t be, get PES.

I thought R2 was close control but I swear L1 does something as well. L2 is for manual passing/shooting as that annoying arrow pops up (which I have turned off in my user settings) but are we certain L1 doesn't do anything?
Maybe it's the fact that I am not pressing R1, R2 or L2 that it feels like it's doing something I am not used to? Maybe that's just what dribbling without a trigger button pressed feels like...I will test this out later.

L2 - purely for manual passing/shooting
R2 - is what is known as close control dribbling, however for me its more of a button that allows you to do roll overs, step on the ball, as well as do the sudden stop and face the goal. Sudden stops with R2, and then a double tap of R1, allows you to quickly get away from a player when in a stand still situation.

L1 - this is an interesting one. Since pes2014, ive been holding this down for true "close control" (not roll overs etc), meaning the ball is closer to your foot when dribbling, and you can turn better when pressured by defence... For me it seems to work, when a defender approaches, and I can turn my back to him quickly and turn the other way. So I use it to prevent the defender getting the ball off of me. Is this a placebo?? ive questioned that, but for me it seems to work... I reckon there is something in this, even if its not written in the controls. Maybe something to question Adam about. I think this all came about from previous versions (not sure which one - could be the ps2 days) when L1 did infact allow a closer control of the ball....

Just remembered something I've been meaning to ask for ages.

Does anyone else find it annoying that your "advanced tactics" are all turned on by default at the beginning of every game? Or is there some way around it?

I don't use those tactics until spotting certain patterns of play, so to start every game with them all turned on - including ones that clash, like "pack the box" and "high wing-backs" (or whatever they're called) - means I have to quickly turn them all off before kick-off.

Does anyone actually start with all their tactics switched on like that? (Genuine question! Just wondering if it's me who's the odd one out!)

You saved me writing this. Yeh it annoys me too. Especially if you have all four selected! In my ML i conceded a goal after 1 min (game time so about 5 secs real time) because i was flaffing around. Heh and it was my kick off.

So the CPU just did this to me..I literally stood up and clapped. Superstar

Wow that's pretty intense.

Started a superstar UCL with Dortmund and the group stages comprising of Napoli , Monaco and Dynamo. First started out on manual rhenium after a few tries ate humble pie and dropped it down to assisted because trying to compete with the AI pass accuracy is just stupid on manual.

Managed to finish 2nd in the group behind Napoli who absolutely tore me to shreds quite their pacey wingers mehrtens and Callejon were hard work especially in the counter.

Monaco as well, rock solid on defence and the downgraded Falcao is still a force to be reckoned with.

Anyway next round Inter Milan and I walloped them. Aubameyang hattrick in 25 minutes in the first leg secured a 6-1 aggregate victory.

Next up AC Milan I managed to come back from a goal down to win 2-1. I stopped there because it was getting late and the sheer exhaustion from concentrating on the AI and trying to suss them out for the first 15 min is a breath of fresh air for the series.

I love this game my only negatives are very high pass accuracy from the AI at most times.

At this point I fear coming up against the big boys. . . . . . . If I manage to see off AC tonight.

Oh yes scored a delicious heel flick that I will upload at some point.

Shooting! Can't wrap my head around it. On basic shooting you score sometimes right on the edge of the box, but any further away, on top player and above, forget it! Somehow shooting feels way more satisfying in training. I've had to switch to advanced shooting, but the aiming system is odd, and if you do simple taps of the shoot button to tap in easy goals, you'll often blast it against the crossbar.

Shooting feels generic and lifeless in this game. Very little variation, and too many shoots look very similar. Opinions? Tips? :)

try the "dry pitch" setting and high grass or whatever is called in english. That should slows down the game a bit.

UPDATE:
12 league games played with Juventus, 11 were at night. Funny thing the 7th or 8th started as day game but unfortunately i had to take care of some stuff (wife was a pain) and decided to quit the game (i had saved before), when i came back i loaded the file and the game gave me a "night game"....lol....that's some real bad luck....

So i might for the moment give up the master league, there is hardly any stadium i like at night (the español stadium didn't look half as bas as the others i guess). Or mabye i'll try a different league, but the whole thing is frankly speaking ridicolous.

But i really despise the lack of stadia considering u can't use the latinos in european master league...basically it's the same handful of stadia over and over, kills the immersion.

I also very much prefer top player, it seems the pressing isn't as crazy as superstar. I mean not every team in the world play like barcelona...

If they spend next year on improving game modes, presentation, stadia etc then we have a bright future ahead.

I was so desperate to pull back the 3 nil defeat in the 1st leg of the coppa italia vs fiorentina i remembered the person who posted in here about diving for a penalty well ...It was worth a try lol

You must have saved them Chris ..
Is everyone else keeping their "advanced tactics" selection blank before each game and setting a new selection every time?! I only ever use the same four, I couldn't be bothered doing that before every match!

Shooting! Can't wrap my head around it. On basic shooting you score sometimes right on the edge of the box, but any further away, on top player and above, forget it! Somehow shooting feels way more satisfying in training. I've had to switch to advanced shooting, but the aiming system is odd, and if you do simple taps of the shoot button to tap in easy goals, you'll often blast it against the crossbar.

Shooting feels generic and lifeless in this game. Very little variation, and too many shoots look very similar. Opinions? Tips? :)

Initially I thought advanced shooting was good but it's too power sensitive, I was relectant to try manual cos I thought it would disregard stats, I was very wrong about that, you get more variation with your shot, more than advanced and basic, and it still ties in with the stats, worth going on the training ground and trying different players especially shooting from outside the box. You will notice the difference, but with manual u need to get that aim right or else you will be shooting straight on with the keeper.

Initially I thought advanced shooting was good but it's too power sensitive, I was relectant to try manual cos I thought it would disregard stats, I was very wrong about that, you get more variation with your shot, more than advanced and basic, and it still ties in with the stats, worth going on the training ground and trying different players especially shooting from outside the box. You will notice the difference, but with manual u need to get that aim right or else you will be shooting straight on with the keeper.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll try that out. :) It's a bit stupid that you have to go to 1-2 training to get shot practise, as you can't change the camera in shooting practise (and I don't play matches in first person mode, I supposed very few people do), but hey, it's Konami, they have a tendency to make excellent games and sprinkle them with silly stupid little things. :p

Assisted. How people control two players at once is beyond me...

I use it pretty often - I'll set the tactics up to keep everyone in position, but then use "player runs" to make it my choice that they take a risk - but occasionally, especially with runs down the middle, they'll just do a lethargic jog in a straight line.

Could be stat-related, could be that when there's more than one defender around the guy, the game just won't let you use it. No idea...

Thank God for "game sharing" on the PS4. Not the perfect answer, and only works with one other person, but even so.

Nahhh please.
I use this option quite often, also to attract defenders to the runner and open gaps.
Not another thing that KONAMI forces me to do, because it suddenly doesn´t work properly (worked good in the latest PES releases). Just won´t use manual on this.
Stat related, but why aren´t there issues on manual then?
Maybe happens when stamina is down? I didn´t pay attention...probably...but then again...why no issues on manual being reported?
Guess it´s bad programming.

So the CPU just did this to me..I literally stood up and clapped. Superstar

Great goal!
I see that CPU variety also a lot and keep watching the replays that are - thx god - a lot better than last year.

It's because you or your opponents play wireless. Lol. Because PES is the only game bothered by wireless players, that's a shame. The guy who told about the wireless thing can't be serious

I don´t think so. I play wireless and my online matches (played around 10 or so only) have been all fluid...on one I noticed a half second button delay though, but it was still playable.
My router is like 4 meters away from my PS4 only though.

that's how i play and love it, noticing stats and off foot when shooting you have to be set to get a good strike off.
full manual with broadcast camera is best IMO.....

Last edited:
Yeah so the lag for online isn't good. But if I'm not remembering wrong it was the same with PES 2016 at the beginning then got a lot better after a while when they had done some maintenance. Hoping for the same this year (and promising that they are aware of the problem and working on it.)

Tried Advanced shooting in Free training mode and I hit the bar 8 out of 10 times! What the hell am I doing wrong? Someone wrote here that stats would come in to play more when using Advanced shooting so I wanted to try that but every player, regardless of position, hit the bar when I shoot...:II

Back
Top Bottom