PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

There won't be anything resembling the all-in-one option files of last-gen on PS4 PES 17, sadly. The PES news websites/twitter went nuts talking about "file-sharing" and option files a few months back when Konami first brought up USB importing, and Konami (of course) haven't corrected them.

Only difference from last year is the emblem and kits for each team will be able to be added together . Still will have to edit each team one by one. Won't be able to share rosters/created players, tactics etc.

They just haven't corrected the article on their website?! Are you serious?! This ruins my Sunday...
Do you have the Twitter comments on that?! It's the first time I read about it not being true...

..great post regarding passing, and the fact manual passing should incorporate errors. It's interesting that a I initially really enjoyed full manual on pes15 n 16 simply because u could pass exactly how u want, exactly where u aimed. All errors were due to me....but the problem with this is that its unrealistic... As I could make the same great pass or error, regardless of the actual player I was in control of. Manual needs to incorporate the passing stats of the player u are using. Or make it harder for u to manually pass with a bad passing player, eg. Make the L2 arrow aiming indicator n button length press way more sensitive. Should be the same with shooting. Interestingly, pes14 manual passing is way harder than manual on pes15/16...initially I thought it simply had to do the fact pes14 had an inferior precision regarding the analogue stick. Hence ive had to use the L2 aimer more often in pes14. Could it in fact have to do with pes 14 actually incorporating a stat based manual system? Haven't really tested it out...

They just haven't corrected the article on their website?! Are you serious?! This ruins my Sunday...
Do you have the Twitter comments on that?! It's the first time I read about it not being true...
Well, I'm gonna go ahead and assume they aren't straight up lying on their website, and I stand corrected on the created player part. But terms like "option file" and "file sharing" are misleading, and they haven't corrected people on that.

USB option files were simple imports that added entire leagues, team rosters, tactics, emblems, etc, all at once and was instantly applied. The 2017 process will import all the data, but then you apply it team by team. As opposed to applying the emblems and kits directly from the USB like last year.

And "file-sharing" had people thinking their would be something in the game that would allow people to upload and share files like 2K does.

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and assume they aren't straight up lying on their website, and I stand corrected on the created player part. But terms like "option file" and "file sharing" are misleading, and they haven't corrected people on that.

USB option files were simple imports that added entire leagues, team rosters, tactics, emblems, etc, all at once and was instantly applied. The 2017 process will import all the data, but then you apply it team by team. As opposed to applying the emblems and kits directly from the USB like last year.

And "file-sharing" had people thinking their would be something in the game that would allow people to upload and share files like 2K does.

According to the English official website, users have to apply the data by choosing teams. It does not exactly mean user have to get it done team by team. There is a possibility to import all teams in one step by a function like "selecting all teams".

(The term "option file" is officially unused after it has been separated into "Edit Data" and "System Settings" since PES 2008.)

James Clarke ‏@SomeNameFor 16 hhace 16 horas Ver traducción
@Adam_Bhatti So, say I had made a `FC WEPES', I could share it with a friend, custom kit, name, custom badge and all with one file?

Adam Bhatti ‏@Adam_Bhatti 16 hhace 16 horas
@SomeNameFor exactly. Don't forget things like manager photo/name, and stadium photo/edits too

Durandil PES ‏@Durandil67 18 hhace 18 horas
@Adam_Bhatti @rhumphrey85 Hi, if I understand there will be one team = one file? Or is it a single file will contain all the teams like PS3?

Adam Bhatti ‏@Adam_Bhatti 17 hhace 17 horas
@Durandil67 @rhumphrey85 one file one team. Even licensed teams, so you can add more kits for licensed teams.

LynnMcG23 ‏@LynnMcG23 20 hhace 20 horas Ver traducción
@Adam_Bhatti Adam are you watching Hull match? Lush dark green pitch does PES 2017 have them? Ionly see really bright green pitches so far

Adam Bhatti
‏@Adam_Bhatti
@LynnMcG23 we have a variety of stadium with different turf types and textures. Don't worry

Last edited:
This option file stuff is very good news. I remember Adam telling me and Xaor, when he invited us over to his to play an early version of 2012, that they were looking to do something with option files - having some sort of infrastructure to share option files online, being able to pick and choose what you want etc. It obviously took a long time to get over licensing red tape and/or issues with the console manufacturers.

I've not read too much about the specifics for this year but it's definitely very good news that they're taking big steps towards what they had in mind a good few years ago before things got in the way.

More kits for licensed teams opens up the possibility of classic kit patches and things in the 3rd / 4th kit slots. Anything that gives the editing community more options is a good thing, and I've got to admit, I'm a sucker for a classic kit (especially if they're all from the same era).

If it's not all wrapped together as one file, it's a shame, but saying that, it's better than nothing, and it means that if you download a pack from someone but your team has players with the wrong positions set, you can fix it yourself and export the file for everyone else to fix that team in their own game.

Sounds like a dream. If they've got the Champions League and Europa League license, I don't think they need any others with editing being what it is. The PES World kits for PES 2016 were better than the ones in FIFA. I'd rather Konami saved their money and brought in some more developers to add more magic to the gameplay.

That's good news. Hopefully a stadium editor or a shitload of new generic stadiums, and the missing individuality from last are back and ML can be fun again for me

Sorry, but that's a bullshit excuse. If that's the case then why doesn't it negatively affect FIFA's online performance? Or any other sport's game for that matter? Not to mention the fact that PES 2014, 2015 and to a lesser extent 2016 ran like complete shit online to begin with (PC version, and yes I have incredibly fast internet and a more than adequate gaming PC).

That's good news. Hopefully a stadium editor or a shitload of new generic stadiums, and the missing individuality from last are back and ML can be fun again for me

I agree with you! Wanted Stadium editor back for a long time, maybe this year it'll happen

Changing camera angles should have absolutely nothing to do with lag. It would be the weirdest netcode in the world if it was based on field of vision. Unless he's saying, the time it would have taken to code in customisable camera angles (copying and pasting them from single-player) would take away from the time they're spending on lag issues.

Hmm guys we know little about programming here especially peer to peer networking.

Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Remember when playing online, data is transferred between users. It is very possible that with certain camera angles there is more info transferred so they limit this by limiting the amount of data being transfered.

Last edited:
Hmm guys we know little about programming here especially peer to peer networking.

Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Remember when playing online, data is transferred between users. It is very possible that with certain camera angles there is more info transferred so they limit this by limiting the amount of data being transfered.
Zee, I've worked on QA with Sony - I'm no expert but I know enough. Also, do you know any other game that has a different set of cameras offline to online?

I am way out of my league here Chris. I may be mistaken but recall MLB the show also having a graphics downgrade and different camera angle online.

Anyway it sounds silly but I doubt Adam would lie about it. I am sure it was a big request from the community.

Only data that gets transferred at online mode is coordinates of all players and ball on the field. And all graphics rendering done client side, that's how it is in every online sports game I've played. Otherwise its some piss take design by Konami.

Most logical reasoning for this is that consoles can't run game at steady 60 fps in any camera angle and instead having lod adjusted depending on cam angle, they just lock camera angle that runs at steady framerate.

..great post regarding passing, and the fact manual passing should incorporate errors. It's interesting that a I initially really enjoyed full manual on pes15 n 16 simply because u could pass exactly how u want, exactly where u aimed. All errors were due to me....but the problem with this is that its unrealistic... As I could make the same great pass or error, regardless of the actual player I was in control of. Manual needs to incorporate the passing stats of the player u are using. Or make it harder for u to manually pass with a bad passing player, eg. Make the L2 arrow aiming indicator n button length press way more sensitive. Should be the same with shooting. Interestingly, pes14 manual passing is way harder than manual on pes15/16...initially I thought it simply had to do the fact pes14 had an inferior precision regarding the analogue stick. Hence ive had to use the L2 aimer more often in pes14. Could it in fact have to do with pes 14 actually incorporating a stat based manual system? Haven't really tested it out...

PES14 manaul passing was more difficult, coz overall the 0 setting in 14 felt like a -2, compared to the 0 setting in 16 this year. I'm not sure if it implemented a better stat system, I kinda doubt it tho, their approach has always felt the same, it's just the sensitivity of numbered scale in assistance level changes from year to year.

Should their approach take the opposite viewpoint (game stepping in and introduce errors for lower pass stats) when designing the game, it could look very different. But that's asking for something closer to a sim than a game that could offer arcade elements. Coz I think their current approach allows the game to step in and make passing easier for us in higher assistance levels, that is quite arcade in nature. It's up to them to tune this to a balance. But yeah, as it currently stands, the game does not implement passing stats well under any settings.

...Manual needs to incorporate the passing stats of the player u are using. Or make it harder for u to manually pass with a bad passing player, eg. Make the L2 arrow aiming indicator n button length press way more sensitive. Should be the same with shooting...

Inconsistencies/errors is what I'd love to see much more of in PES, and not just in passing and shooting. Ball control and dribbling needs more of those errors as well:
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=3140264#post3140264

The thing about inconsistency it should feel more randomized. It shouldn't feel simply like a flat decrease of passing accuracy. It should impact accuracy for sure, but when using a player with 55 pass stat, it should also give you some scenarios like, for every couple of passes that goes as expected, there's one where the guy would just misplace the pass slightly (or in some even rarer cases, horrifically). It needs a bit more randomized scenarios.

Again, I'm not sure if people will like a game like this, but it's a more realistic representation of what could happen on the field in real football. The guy with 55 pass stat is still a pro player. He can make a lot of regular passes just fine, but he can also make a mess of things occasionally. But with this, not every pass will go as expected, so maybe you'll find some PES players complain about the game doing strange things. I have the opinion that if pass stat is simply just a percentage increase/decrease of accuracy, the events we see on the field are a bit flattened/predictable, thus it feels arcade-y.

And that's the same problem I have with dribbling/ball control, it's too consisteny. Touches in high speed especially, every touch is equal distance, the ball is stringed to the player under your control, and the ball never leaves your body (the string never gets broken), until you run into someone else on the field.

Maybe consistency can be it's own stat too, not sure. But yeah, if stuff like this gets implemented, the game can look very different, I think it makes for a deeper game, probably a step towards a sim. Not sure if the game will be loved tho.

Would be nice if the game can go a step further even. Since we have the "body control stat" next year, it'd be nice have it incorporate and influence the quality of passes. If the player under your control has poor body control stat, and cannot orient his body correctly, his animation can look wrong/off balanced to be making the type of pass he's making. This should have an impact on the accuracy/quality of the resulting pass. Likewise, in a scenario where the passer is under pressure, if he has good body balance stat, he can maintain his body animation better under heavy pressure, and the heavy pressure should not impact the quality of resulting pass so much.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Is there any chance that Konami would include some Face-scan import for players editing? like they used to have back in the years of pes 2012/13..
They could use the same method they are using for the kits.. The application of an image-file on a blank editable face model.
It should not be too difficult to realize..
Pes on Ps4 looks great but there are too many generic faces and too few real-like.
On pc there is not such limitation.

Is there any way to let Konami know about this?

Is there any chance that Konami would include some Face-scan import for players editing? like they used to have back in the years of pes 2012/13..
They could use the same method they are using for the kits.. The application of an image-file on a blank editable face model.
It should not be too difficult to realize..
Pes on Ps4 looks great but there are too many generic faces and too few real-like.
On pc there is not such limitation.

Is there any way to let Konami know about this?

hardly realistic - not only because faces are in current pes more
complex...

Changing camera angles should have absolutely nothing to do with lag. It would be the weirdest netcode in the world if it was based on field of vision. Unless he's saying, the time it would have taken to code in customisable camera angles (copying and pasting them from single-player) would take away from the time they're spending on lag issues.

We've never had custom cams for online. As long as we have he regular selection including wide and dynamic wide I'm ok

You guys remember the gameplay video on rain I posted before ?

Heres the second hald (part 2)

https://youtu.be/fpFXBZ-dtTM

These guy's videos are the beet so far.

I wonder if Matt still thinks the players move frenetic on the field on those videos. They dont for me.

We cant expect players movement to be 1:1 compared to reality. Its a videogame in the end of the day, in videogames machs need to be more intense and faster than real life for obvious reasons, wich doesnt mean I want crazy fast game that PES 2016 is online as if players were on drugs. And at least on these two gamepkay videos on rain AI movement doesnt look frenetic and crazy.

I think thats not only because pace on rain is better. I think the way players play defensively is what makes the real difference here.

Look the guy playing as France... He doesnt hold second pressure all the time, wich what really makes players move out of position when they shouldnt (and since the cursor is not on him, it makes you think its AI going crazy), neither he sprint with controlled player all the time chasing the ball like crazy, he moves player into position to cover space and keep the team in shape, wich automatically not only makes the pace more realistic and AI movement on the field less frenetic, but it also makes the game more tatical midfield more repevant, as it forces the guy playing as Germany to make lateral passes or even backwards passes. You can see the german guy like to abuse ping pong + 1-2s, but he can not go from a defencento attack just passing forward in a matter of 3 seconds.

We need a game that rewards this (more realistic) defending style (and at the same time, a game that its easy to punish brainless pressure, chasing ball like crazy) if we want the game to play more realistically and more tatical. So far, I dont see this game exist since PES 5 tbh.

Last edited:
You guys remember the gameplay video on rain I posted before ?

Heres the second hald (part 2)

https://youtu.be/fpFXBZ-dtTM

These guy's videos are the beet so far.

I wonder if Matt still thinks the players move frenetic on the field on those videos. They dont for me.

We cant expect players movement to be 1:1 compared to reality. Its a videogame in the end of the day, in videogames machs need to be more intense and faster than real life for obvious reasons, wich doesnt mean I want crazy fast game that PES 2016 is online as if players were on drugs. And at least on these two gamepkay videos on rain AI movement doesnt look frenetic and crazy.

I think thats not only because pace on rain is better. I think the way players play defensively is what makes the real difference here.

Look the guy playing as France... He doesnt hold second pressure all the time, wich what really makes players move out of position when they shouldnt (and since the cursor is not on him, it makes you think its AI going crazy), neither he sprint with controlled player all the time chasing the ball like crazy, he moves player into position to cover space and keep the team in shape, wich automatically not only makes the pace more realistic and AI movement on the field less frenetic, but it also makes the game more tatical midfield more repevant, as it forces the guy playing as Germany to make lateral passes or even backwards passes. You can see the german guy like to abuse ping pong + 1-2s, but he can not go from a defencento attack just passing forward in a matter of 3 seconds.

We need a game that rewards this (more realistic) defending style (and at the same time, a game that its easy to punish brainless pressure, chasing ball like crazy) if we want the game to play more realistically and more tatical. So far, I dont see this game exist since PES 5 tbh.

It definitely doesn't look as bad as the other videos, so that's good. They are still freaking out a bit, but like you said, the player controlling France defends fairly well. I believe he is managing the freak out animation more than anything though, but if that's how the game is going to be - you better learn now to deal with it.

The value that causes these off the ball freak out moments is none other than the Speed value, at least that's what it is in PES 16.

Look here, I've maxed out all ratings except for lowering Speed, Explosive Power, Balance to the low limit of 40. It just goes to show that the majority of player ratings do not attribute to anything. If there is a good sign, it's that this shows that KONAMI are in-tune with player ID and they let that shine with tactics. If PES 17 comes out with lowering Speed, Explosive Power and Balance - the game will be absolutely top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkVO9U21DHI

As you can see I'm not forced to manage freak out animations, they are already in position and it's not so hectic.

Overall, that video posted of PES 17 is very promising. I hope to see more P1 v CPU videos to get a solid comparison though. Definitely still optimistic - thanks for thinking of me :) .

Great video Dudu, very encouraging. . nice pace and balance to the game. ..best video I've seen so far.

Everything seems to be looking good with PES 2017 gameplay wise. however for longevity and ML, it needs more stadiums (or at very least, not to region lock stadiums assigning.) that insanity when a game only has 20 odd stadiums.

Is the game out on September 15th?

If so thats 5 weeks away. Demo must be out surely?

For what its worth in the PES17 thread I downloaded the PES16 free version on Sunday and played it last night for a few hours. No idea why but I really enjoyed playing the exhibition matches. No idea why when the game isnt fully installed you can use Barcelona but not when game is completely installed?

I think Im enjoying it as I was really disapointed with PES16 when I first bought it and probably got rid too quickly. I was also fed up with the way the option files were installed. Glad the old way is back.

Ill get PES17 this year and really give it a go before making mind up early.

Is the game out on September 15th?

If so thats 5 weeks away. Demo must be out surely?
The demo date will be announced at Gamescom (so this weekend) - I'm hoping what will actually happen is they'll say "surprise, the demo is out now!" Or at least next week.

looking at the above PES17 video Id just like to see a few more "loose" balls.
For example whenever two players go up for a header the ball always finds someone. Why not have a few that just bounce to no one and into space?

Other than that there was a nice pace to that game.

Back
Top Bottom