PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harder said then done really. Although I've become progressively less engaged in the run-up to the release of PES over the last 5 years (as well as playing the game itself)it's still hard to completely look away from it through the spring and summer. Who knows, maybe Konami have finally made a game better than PES3 or PES5 this year.

But if you felt the past games didn't live up to expectation then it's best not to get caught up in it. Konami are going to hype up their game just like any other company.

To be honest while the new engine and ideas sound good I'm remaining cautious. I'll wait for the videos and demo(s) to see what the game is really about.

@pj_puttz: Your feelings are completely fair. Tbh since 2011/2012 the "all aboard the hype train" hasn't been my tagline, mainly because there was never a clear indicator that the game was going to be massively different. Up until now.

"New engine" whispers appeared on the build up to PES 2013 along with Masuda being introduced as PES Team Leader. Just as I was heading to the Hype Station, the new engine gets postponed to 2014. So good news and bad news: Konami concludes that Seabass is part of the problem, brings on a new face and we get intel there's a new engine being built; but they realize they couldn't make it in time and fans will have to endure another year of them trying to make shit shine like gold.

The new engine this year excites me because it's completely new, and it's basis was built by Kojima's team, which is, from a technological standpoint, very exciting news. It has a chance to be ground-breaking, but I'm somehow unable to be super-hyped, at least for now.

I guess "cautiously optimistic" is the most used expression these days, and it's the one that makes the most sense.

Last edited:
To me pes 2013 was just a mild disappointment (mostly because of removed league mode) but it ended up being exactly what i expected.

We were warned that the real change was planned with pes 2014.

I guess i managed to lower my expectations to realistic level.

Yeah I guess I kinda liked PES 2013 to a degree. I had many flings with it.
But it doesn't mean we should lower expectations and accept a half finished product.
My dislike for the pes 2013 wasn't solely based on the removal of content. It was more leaning towards the (one-trick-pony) A.1 and unresponsive controls amongst many other things.

As for the new engine I l would like nothing more than for Konami to nail it a produce a tile worthy of the pes name. I am so desperate for a good football game. But I remain cynical (like many others)purely going off the last 6 years of delivery.

@pj_puttz: Your feelings are completely fair. Tbh since 2011/2012 the "all aboard the hype train" hasn't been my tagline, mainly because there was never a clear indicator that the game was going to be massively different. Up until now.

"New engine" whispers appeared on the build up to PES 2013 along with Masuda being introduced as PES Team Leader. Just as I was heading to the Hype Station, the new engine gets postponed to 2014. So good news and bad news: Konami concludes that Seabass is part of the problem, brings on a new face and we get intel there's a new engine being built; but they realize they couldn't make it in time and fans will have to endure another year of them trying to make shit shine like gold.

The new engine this year excites me because it's completely new, and it's basis was built by Kojima's team, which is, from a technological standpoint, very exciting news. It has a chance to be ground-breaking, but I'm somehow unable to be super-hyped, at least for now.

I guess "cautiously optimistic" is the most used expression these days, and it's the one that makes the most sense.

It's very difficult to be hyped when we have no evidence that it's hugely improved over pes 2013. Right now it's just promises.

What's actually different and intriguing this time though is the new engine. Something we've been waiting for since next-gen (current-gen now) hit in 2005-2006.
exactly. We do not know what is on offer.

It is clear that KONAMI knows what needs to be done they seem to have been very limited by the engine and that became glaringly apparent with PES2012 - 13.

There was a level of enjoyment in this gen but not to the degree that we expected. Konami have never punted a new engine before - hell seabass even admitted that PES this gen has not changed in its foundations.

There is alot to be excited about imo. With what Konami can achieve and with this new building block thats going to enable them to have a solid foundation unlike the rickety old engine that could we may have the answer to our football gaming woes

Last edited by a moderator:
The part which got me most excited was when the article mentioned that in game graphic of Old Trafford when compared to the real picture was almost identical. Imagine that!

Of course that from the graphics point of view sounds absolutely fantastic, but above all else I still want the engine to improve the gameplay and AI.

I'm hoping that the barycenter physics will have a strong effect on passing. I'm really sick of seeing passes that are accurate and accurately weighted even when the body is off balanced (e.g. the 180 degree strong passes). Some of these passes need to go way wide + a stumble & fall animation, maybe the player should even miss the kick entirely.

They should force players to open up their bodies towards their strong foot's instep in order to send an accurate pinpoint pass (even for players with the card), plus a contextual shift in body balance. Outside of foot is ok as long as the player is equipped with the skill. All of these have been missing and partly causes the unpunished reckless passing in PES2013. Manual passing makes it a little more realistic, but it still is not penalized enough IMO.

Excellent post mate!!

my biggest curiosity is this "Tony Hawk to Skate" control system that is being hinted at. that would truely revolutionise how football games are played

it will probably turn out to be a gimmick though, like theyve added a new trick or something.. :CONFUSE:

Yes I do. It's a PES thread, which involves the game offline and online. What's your point?

my point is there are whole communities set up dedicated to having good people to play against online

my biggest curiosity is this "Tony Hawk to Skate" control system that is being hinted at. that would truely revolutionise how football games are played

it will probably turn out to be a gimmick though, like theyve added a new trick or something.. :CONFUSE:

my point is there are whole communities set up dedicated to having good people to play against online
tony hawk was more about button presses and combinations while skate was played using analog sticks which gave you more control over the tricks and types of tricks you could pull off.... i think konami are trying to give you more control over the player in dribblng and one on one situations and create your own tricks i'm guessing. tbh it sounds like fifas trick stick with a few ehancements

Last edited:
Get your copy of EDGE Magazine and learn more about PES new engine!

The day has come! Today EDGE have released their new magazine, which details the new PES engine. As we explained last week, the feature (which spans 8 pages) takes a closer look at the various elements behind the making of the new engine that will power the future of PES.

“In the short term, the team will use Fox Engine to shape Pro Evo for current-gen consoles, but there will be far more to this than a mere graphical update – the team’s aim is to create competition among unequal players by changing the rules of engagement. The new game will feature revamped physics and controls designed to create intriguing struggles between slow, strong players and their smaller, more agile opponents. Player movement will also be detached from the ball, so you’ll be able to drop a shoulder to unbalance an opposing player even before the ball arrives.“
“The goal is to recreate real football culture and the romance of “giant killings”. Currently, online PES 2013 players are almost obliged to choose Barcelona, Real Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain if they want to win. In the future, KONAMI hopes crowd factors – performing a nutmeg in a Brazilian game will elicit wild cheers, for instance – plus an increased emphasis on a team’s formational effectiveness will make for more nuanced and competitive matches.”

The full story also contains details on how crowds and stadiums can affect the outcome of a match, and even how having certain players on the pitch can motivate your squad.
You’ll be able to get the full story in the magazine, either from all good newsagents, or the interactive version for iPad via newsstand. Check it out let us know what you think!

Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks ahead, this is just the beginning!

haha ive done all that on pes6 using my stat,weight,height balance and speed formula :FAIL:

tony hawk was more about button presses and combinations while skate was played using analog sticks which gave you more control over the tricks and types of tricks you could pull off.... i think konami are trying to give you more control over the player in dribblng and one on one situations and create your own tricks i'm guessing. tbh it sounds like fifas trick stick with a few ehancements

What we have now is like fifa. What they're talking about in edge is different.

So its better to have "shitty" gameplay with good online mod,than good gameplay with shitty online mod?

Gameplay is on first place,i even dont care about licences just hoping for awesome game.

Dude, WTF man. PES didn't had eiter. it had nothing. People playing FIFA is not because of gameplay only, it;s because it lacks many other things.

The things you say are very worrying. do you even have pes?:APPLAUD:

Excellent post mate!!

If Konami's barycenter physics is really more than just for show, then incorporating it in the dialogue of passing should be possible, since they now finally have the required information to judge whether a player is making a pass off balance, by looking at their center of gravity, body orientation, and trajectory and strength/weight of pass. I'm hoping they utilize the barycenter physics more than just for the little feints etc.

For the defensive pressure, I'm hoping with a quick shift of player weight, you can throw off the pressuring players who don't let go of the button (or better yet, requiring them to super cancel/half cancel to recoup).

I've noticed PES2013 has far more effective pressuring (and double pressuring) compared to PES2011. The pressuring players seem to recover from being thrown off their trajectories VERY quickly, whenever the man they are marking makes a quick switch of direction (or even feints). In fact, I don't even think there is any delay for the defensive player recovering from dashing in the wrong trajectory. I hope with this barycenter physics it will mean that pressuring players will dash towards the PREVIOUS "image" of center of gravity of their opponent, so that they'll always be chasing shadows if the opponents try to throw them off their path at the right moment. Maybe only players like Pepe or Gattuso should have that degree of relentless pressuring and stickiness to their play (possibly in form of a defensive aggression stat or a card).

Likewise, any dribbling player who dashes in full speed and then tries to stop and cut in on a path in the opposite direction, should probably fall or stumble on the ball a little, or maybe leave a bigger gap between the ball and body for the defense to make their challenge.

All these should be possible, if by barycenter physics they mean they have a realistic set of calculations which can determine a player's shift in center of gravity.

Not familiar with either games, how does Tony Hawk's and FIFA's trick stick work? They say that you can perform a shoulder-drop even before the ball arrives, makes me wonder what type of changes to controls/feints to PES2013 we'll see.

Would also like a PM to the pdf if someone found a link!

Last edited:
PR technical fandangle always makes the game sound divine. Shame we can't just skip the hyperbole this year and go straight to September/October and see if the game's any good or not.

That's actually what I'm doing. I don't care what hype Konami generates this year, I simply wait for the demo to appear to try the game out, nothing else can convince me one way or the other.
And I don't care about any previews, sneak-peeks, pictures or videos, cause the most important thing is the AI and controls and these things can't be gauged except by playing the game or demo.

ok cool either way i'm looking forward to see what they come up with....Has seabass been dropped from pes or is he more of an overseer these days?

No info whatsoever on him. Not sure what he's currently doing. Last we heard he was handed a different project. No idea what happened to it.

A new engine brings with it new problems and starting with a clean slate for PES 2014 when they should be reaching the peak of what they can do with this tech is piss poor from Konami IMO.

I don't understand you. They clearly have reached the peak of what they can do with this tech and YOU yourself have said it's been terrible. Now you want them to flog a dead horse?

Sure, this new engine will not be perfect to start with. Whether the actual problems will be major or even noticeable is not something we can judge yet obviously.

Not that your previous posts aren't true, but there's an 8 page article that's been released and it would be nice to dissect the possibilities in here rather than rehashing the same crap over and over and over and over.

Soon we'll need another hate thread for PES, and this version isn't even out yet!! PES 2013 is what it is and PES 2014 will be what it will be - the only thing that can change is your mindset.

All I remember is you coming on to disagree with 95% of my posts when PES 2013 came out. Some things never change. :COAT:

Who has read the article? I downloaded the magazine twice last night on my iPhone but it said it was corrupt twice but then said I can only read it on iPad. *shrug*

Agreed mate. The engine is clearly poor but it's not solely to blame for Konami's problems with PES.

A new engine brings with it new problems and starting with a clean slate for PES 2014 when they should be reaching the peak of what they can do with this tech is piss poor from Konami IMO.

I've been assuming for years that they will learn from their mistakes but they dont and as if that wasnt bad enough, they keep making a whole bunch of new mistakes too!

I just feel we have missed out on an entire generation of PES games on this tech to the standard we had become accustomed to over the years. I'm fed up reading about how next year's game is going to be amazing or how some new gimmick with a catchy PR friendly title is going to revolutionise the series and put PES back on top of the football gaming world. I'm sick of it because year after year it's been shown to be utter, utter bullshit.

I'm cynical as hell about PES 2014 and I think a lot of other people are this time around too. Even some of the self confessed fanboys are holding back the hyperbole and excitement this time around.......and with good reason.

I'd love Konami to hoof me square in the nutsack and say "GET IT UP YE!" by proving me wrong with PES 2014 but at this point in time it just looks like the cycle of hype and anticipation followed by bitter disappointment is continuing.

What "cycle of hype" from Konami, regards PES2014 specifically, are you talking about? You don't honestly assert a magazine being invited over to check out some raw tech and the developers talk about how they hope this will help them realise their ambitions, but there is a long way to go, as "hype", do you? That is some of the worst hype ever I have ever read if that was the case, which it isn't, more it was talk about the tech they have at their disposal, along with some interesting tech driven concepts and ideas that they have which they hope will allow them to make a really good video game. It was them talking theory and very little specifics about the game itself, so I don't equate that to hype.

Last edited:
Optimism and pessimism both are going to present themselves regarding an upcoming game release - there's valid reasons for both views.

All we have to go on so far is Konami's word (obviously going to put a positive angle on things but some facts can be deduced) and expectations based on past experience.

Each of our past experiences will be different, because all of us enjoy different things and/or expect a different level of quality. I personally enjoy PES 2013, and probably put PES 2011 at the top of the tree but I know that others will think differently and my view is no more right than theirs.

Though I'm sure all of us can agree that much more could have been done with PES on this generation, and can see the glaring flaws/bugs/omissions in the game.
Starting from scratch (as seems to be the case) will give the series a breath of fresh air and modernize it, something long awaited by myself and probably most, if not all of us. The execution of their implementation of a new engine has yet to be seen, so all we can do at this point is speculate and hope.

Let's just take a step back though and look at this forum from the outside, and appreciate how privileged we are to be able to even sit here and play virtual football, then come on here to discuss it. Puts into perspective how trivial it is to argue with and insult others over their thoughts and preferences (I admit being a participant in that in previous years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom