PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you like online play or don't, it shouldn't be too much to ask from Konami to have BOTH in modern day PES and to a damn good standard. The fact that they haven't managed this to date is shameful on their part.

Having been let down too many times by Konami over the last few years I find it impossible to become excited about these snippets of news about PES 2014. Most of which probably wont even make it into the finished product or will be rendered irrelevant by the usual scripting, clipping issues, poor AI and whatever nuttier-than-squirrel-shit decisions that Konami makes between now and October such as the addition of magical boots or leaving out a league mode.

Just for once, I wish Konami would forget about gimmicks such as "Baricentre Physics" and just concentrate on getting the basics right. The basics that they have manage to fuck up royally over the last few years.

The new engine everyone is creaming themselves over is more likely to produce another PES 2008 than another PES 2006 in my opinion. That's how much faith I have in Konami right now.

Personally, I agree with you. Let's hope Konami proves us wrong

Anytime I've ever selected multiplayer from a games menu (which hasn't been a lot to be honest) it always seems like I've ventured into an immature, hostile and racist warzone where the gentleman gamer is a pariah. Can't see how that's worth anyone time let alone the game developer's.

This. This is exactly why I never bother with sports titles online, and probably never will. Certain games lend themselves well to online. Football doesn't, because it requires at least a modicum of etiquette....

Thats just thinking that got PES serie to the point where it is now, 90 % of former fans dont care about this game anymore, I wonder myself why i am wasting time here, oh wait because PES 2014 is last chance for Konami win back people like me.

I ll be playing FIFA clubs while waiting, anyone game ?

Where'd you get that number from?

Anytime I've ever selected multiplayer from a games menu (which hasn't been a lot to be honest) it always seems like I've ventured into an immature, hostile and racist warzone where the gentleman gamer is a pariah. Can't see how that's worth anyone time let alone the game developer's.

Much the same really. Apart from some online racing with a trusted group of people, I don't play online at all. I find it an unpleasant experience for the most part.

Where'd you get that number from?

No way the percentage is that low, at least worldwide. Maybe in UK.

Much the same really. Apart from some online racing with a trusted group of people, I don't play online at all. I find it an unpleasant experience for the most part.

The thing is, currently PES doesn't provide many options for those who want to play more realistic and "private" games. No pass or shot support filters, no pre-2013 Community Mode, etc.

Last edited:
Not sure whether this is talking about PES 2014 or just the Fox Engine...

Both current and next-gen versions of PES will use Fox Engine

News Publish Date 11/03/2013 - 3:00pm GMT

Current-gen Fox Engine visuals look "near indistinguishable" from the real thing, mag reckons.

A modified version of Kojima Productions' Fox Engine will be used to power both the current and next-generation versions of future PES titles, it's been revealed.

The new engine's scalability, which is expected to be introduced with this year's PES 2014, will mean that both the current and next-gen versions of Konami's football game will benefit from enhanced visuals and "barycentre physics", which offers players "more realistic centres of balance" and a greater sense of physicality.

According to the latest issue of EDGE, the new engine "looks incredible" on PS3, with in-engine visuals that look "near indistinguishable" from the real world. "Only some intricate background detail betrays the CG version," EDGE states. "In terms of quality, think of the Fox Engine 'boardroom' test image... It looks incredible, but we're assured it's all running on PS3."

Though the new engine may debut on current-gen consoles, Konami plans to use Fox Engine to power next-gen versions of PES, too.

"Our new engine isn't limited to the next few years, but [is ready] for next-gen platforms," senior producer Naoya Hatsumi says, as creative producer Kei Masuda hints towards cross-device functionality.

"It is not just about making games for the TV; the engine can adapt to any platform, like tablet or mobile," says Masuda.

"The concern is fewer people will have time to pick up their controllers and play games on the TV. The market has shrunk, so we want to make it possible to, say, edit players on your phone or alter formations, so when you turn on your game, you can instantly start playing with your favoured pre-sets. We want PES to fit around users' lifestyles."

PES 2014 has yet to be officially announced by Konami. Nevertheless, expect it to launch on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC - and potentially PlayStation 4, Microsoft's next-gen Xbox and Wii U - later this year.

sorry off the topic but what is this clubs mode?

it's an online mode where you control just 1 player, and it can be up to 11v11 people. so basically you are playing as yourself in a full football match.

whats so good is instead of relying on AI you rely on your friends, which creates this fully reactive match with off the ball runs etc.

its such a good mode that it largely redeems fifas bad gameplay - i cant imagine how good it would be on pes (with manual controls..)

I can writte You 30 brillant games before internet was comming. Don't forget about it!

football games wouldnt be anywhere if they didnt have multiplayer options. and im not just talking about online, but 1v1 vs a friend. playing against real people is what makes games like PES or FIFA so fun. if you think otherwise you are in the massive minority.

it's an online mode where you control just 1 player, and it can be up to 11v11 people. so basically you are playing as yourself in a full football match.

whats so good is instead of relying on AI you rely on your friends, which creates this fully reactive match with off the ball runs etc.

its such a good mode that it largely redeems fifas bad gameplay - i cant imagine how good it would be on pes (with manual controls..)

4 vs 4 local is much better than fifa 11 vs 11, just joke unless you want a cricket score.

Konami just needs to get rid of lag first then worry about modes. lets take a few stepss at a time, next gen pro evo is going to rock especially if next xbox matches PS4 GDDR 5 8 GB, we could have realistic weather and fans along with the animations

Yeshua! That sort of performance could put many companies out of business. The Konami PES division must have very low overhead.

It would help if those figures were accurate. They aren't (not even close) and due to some frankly silly stuff in the industry accurate sales figures are seldom shared. There are entire regions not accounted for in those images either.

Isn't Clubs mode the 11 vs 11 mode like Legends was 4 vs 4 in Pes?

Not so funny, to be honest. Too confusing, the best online multiplayer is 2vs2 or 3vs3 at best.

4 vs 4 local is much better than fifa 11 vs 11, just joke unless you want a cricket score.

Sorry, but that's simply not true. Now, if you step into a Pro Ranked match (which is full of random players who don't play their position), then sure. A few years ago, my club at its peak was rated around 30th in the world. Trust me, games against top clubs were extremely close. Just like in real life, one lapse of concentration or a wayward pass could cost you the match. You have to be positionally sound, communicate well and most importantly, understand football. Obviously it wasn't perfect then and it isn't perfect now. You have to deal with balance issues, exploits etc, but it's extremely fun. If FIFA didn't have clubs, I wouldn't buy it.

I do agree that single player is extremely important which is why I play PES offline (since FIFA offline is dreadful) and keep FIFA around for Pro Clubs. Hell, I've played hundreds of hours of PES over the years without ever going online. All I'm saying is that there's room for both.

Thats just thinking that got PES serie to the point where it is now, 90 % of former fans dont care about this game anymore, I wonder myself why i am wasting time here, oh wait because PES 2014 is last chance for Konami win back people like me.

I ll be playing FIFA clubs while waiting, anyone game ?

It's absolutely wrong. Most part of videogame football fans are waiting to see what Konami are up to.
Konami has time to regain its lost fans, they just have to show them the things they want.

In my opinion most important things to regain fans are
online modes and quality (it's extremely important)
animations quality and fluidity
Options, many options in both offline and online modes
A completely new Master League mode

It's absolutely wrong. Most part of videogame football fans are waiting to see what Konami are up to.
Konami has time to regain its lost fans, they just have to show them the things they want.

In my opinion most important things to regain fans are
online modes and quality (it's extremely important)
animations quality and fluidity
Options, many options in both offline and online modes
A completely new Master League mode

That's the thing. I hope konami besides introduce us a new graphic engine, profit to show us a renewed offline game modes and online mode. League mode back please.

Not sure if this was posted but EDGE has had a first look at Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 as well as the new engine its built on in issue #252. Subscribers have started to receive the magazine ahead of the official March 14 date.

Below you’ll find a roundup of some of the information included in EDGE regarding Konami’s upcoming sports title:

- Engine based on FOX Engine
- Engine referred to as “new engine”
- New physics engine uses “Barycentre physics”
- Barycentre physics: different body parts have different weights
- Collisions are similar to FIFA
- Impact strength of collisions depend on which part of the body is hit
- Team is focusing on “photo-realism” for graphics
- One closeup of a Japanese player’s face in EDGE shows detailed skin pores and individual eyebrows
- Shirts are separate from the player models
- Shirts hang from the players and flow and get pulled when jostling
- Ball control radius in 3x bigger than current gen, providing more dynamic off-ball tussles while player’s legs try to get control of the ball
- Can set a player’s “zones”
- This allows you to have an individual player only be allowed to move in a small area of the pitch while defending

Head past the break for the full rundown of PES 2014′s three engine pillars.

1. Barycentre Physics and Ball control

The new engine allows for a larger separation between player and ball – three time the radius of PES 2013, where tight ‘confrontation’ zones are used to make tackling easier. A striker will be able to throw his body weight in one direction and use his opposing foot to push the ball in the other way, leaving defenders off balance and buying space for a pass or shot. Players have specific centres of balance, calculated by locating their centre of gravity, or barycentre. You’ll be able to control your player’s weight shifts at all times and use practice touches to push the ball away from your feet. We see a wireframe demo with more natural animations and fluid transitions than FIFA 13. You control the player and the physics drives the animation, not vice versa. It’s hard to tell how this will transform the ‘feel’ of play, rather than just being admirable behind the scenes calculations, but there appears to be scope for a radical new control scheme – think of how Skate’s right-stick motions mimicked real-life movements by exploiting dynamic physics, and how they compared to the digital button taps of Tony Hawks Pro Skater. This could be a revelation in football game control.

2. Contact and Physicality

Konami has pinpointed this as a weakness in previous games, but now players can jostle for space – even without the ball present – for headers at corners, or to dominate a smaller opponent. You’ll be able to tug shirts (cloth is now separate from the player’s body and stretches) as well as elbow for room on the touchline. It works in tandem with the physics and precision control. Agile players can unbalance defenders with dropped shoulders or ball skills, and push the ball further ahead to exploit their acceleration. “Previously, body feints were more aesthetic,” admits Masuda. “Now they’re a key tactic.”

3. Squad Emulator

Formations remain essential for success, but now you can set ‘zones of play’ so your key players focus on certain tactics in mission-critical areas. For example, you can set your front line to focus on possession and probing for gaps in from of a deep-lying defence. In theory, you’ll be able to recognise your favourite teams pattern of play within a few minutes. The emphasis on defending and shape should allow weaker teams to create effective strategies, such as when Celtic beat Barcelona in the Champions League by defending deep, buoyed up

So, that's all the details we're gonna get today, the official release day?
Tell me otherwise. Expected more.

Not sure if this was posted but EDGE has had a first look at Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 as well as the new engine its built on in issue #252. Subscribers have started to receive the magazine ahead of the official March 14 date.

Below you’ll find a roundup of some of the information included in EDGE regarding Konami’s upcoming sports title:

- Engine based on FOX Engine
- Engine referred to as “new engine”
- New physics engine uses “Barycentre physics”
- Barycentre physics: different body parts have different weights
- Collisions are similar to FIFA
- Impact strength of collisions depend on which part of the body is hit
- Team is focusing on “photo-realism” for graphics
- One closeup of a Japanese player’s face in EDGE shows detailed skin pores and individual eyebrows
- Shirts are separate from the player models
- Shirts hang from the players and flow and get pulled when jostling
- Ball control radius in 3x bigger than current gen, providing more dynamic off-ball tussles while player’s legs try to get control of the ball
- Can set a player’s “zones”
- This allows you to have an individual player only be allowed to move in a small area of the pitch while defending

Head past the break for the full rundown of PES 2014′s three engine pillars.

1. Barycentre Physics and Ball control

The new engine allows for a larger separation between player and ball – three time the radius of PES 2013, where tight ‘confrontation’ zones are used to make tackling easier. A striker will be able to throw his body weight in one direction and use his opposing foot to push the ball in the other way, leaving defenders off balance and buying space for a pass or shot. Players have specific centres of balance, calculated by locating their centre of gravity, or barycentre. You’ll be able to control your player’s weight shifts at all times and use practice touches to push the ball away from your feet. We see a wireframe demo with more natural animations and fluid transitions than FIFA 13. You control the player and the physics drives the animation, not vice versa. It’s hard to tell how this will transform the ‘feel’ of play, rather than just being admirable behind the scenes calculations, but there appears to be scope for a radical new control scheme – think of how Skate’s right-stick motions mimicked real-life movements by exploiting dynamic physics, and how they compared to the digital button taps of Tony Hawks Pro Skater. This could be a revelation in football game control.

2. Contact and Physicality

Konami has pinpointed this as a weakness in previous games, but now players can jostle for space – even without the ball present – for headers at corners, or to dominate a smaller opponent. You’ll be able to tug shirts (cloth is now separate from the player’s body and stretches) as well as elbow for room on the touchline. It works in tandem with the physics and precision control. Agile players can unbalance defenders with dropped shoulders or ball skills, and push the ball further ahead to exploit their acceleration. “Previously, body feints were more aesthetic,” admits Masuda. “Now they’re a key tactic.”

3. Squad Emulator

Formations remain essential for success, but now you can set ‘zones of play’ so your key players focus on certain tactics in mission-critical areas. For example, you can set your front line to focus on possession and probing for gaps in from of a deep-lying defence. In theory, you’ll be able to recognise your favourite teams pattern of play within a few minutes. The emphasis on defending and shape should allow weaker teams to create effective strategies, such as when Celtic beat Barcelona in the Champions League by defending deep, buoyed up

sorry that news is couple of days old, hopefully we should get some more info today once mag is released today.

This part has me intrigued "Ball control radius in 3x bigger than current gen, providing more dynamic off-ball tussles while player’s legs try to get control of the ball." - hopefully this means the ball won't look like it's on a piece of string.

The other part (looking at the graphic Jon Murphy tweeted) is how will the control scheme work when they talk about pushing the ball one way and moving the other? Is it like doing the run around move from PES 2013 (or similar to the right stick flick in FIFA) OR does it mean you can dribble with either left or right foot?

Or maybe it's more simple and it means feints will look more natural...

I'm hoping that the barycenter physics will have a strong effect on passing. I'm really sick of seeing passes that are accurate and accurately weighted even when the body is off balanced (e.g. the 180 degree strong passes). Some of these passes need to go way wide + a stumble & fall animation, maybe the player should even miss the kick entirely.

They should force players to open up their bodies towards their strong foot's instep in order to send an accurate pinpoint pass (even for players with the card), plus a contextual shift in body balance. Outside of foot is ok as long as the player is equipped with the skill. All of these have been missing and partly causes the unpunished reckless passing in PES2013. Manual passing makes it a little more realistic, but it still is not penalized enough IMO.

Last edited:
a lot of pr non sense like always.

and good visuals is really one thing the game does not need as with a few tweaks it's already a good looking game ( pes 2010 and pes 2011 were pretty games then visual quality has been deteriorating ever since). it needs good animations and IA and offline modes.

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of pr non sense like always.

and good visuals is really one thing the game does not need as with a few tweaks it's already a good looking game ( pes 2010 and pes 2011 were pretty games then visual quality has been deteriorating ever since). it needs good animations and IA and offline modes.

They can't talk about modes of a game yet to be announced.
Be more patient it's March and we already have bits of informations, the game reveal will be in April

This is an engine reveal, not a game reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom