PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

LOL it was the most annoying thing I've ever seen in a video game. If only my two CB's weren't holding hands on the touchline!

lol poor fella

Show me a video of you doing these nice curled shots into the corner with L2 will ya.

I think I've tried shooting with L2 before but can't remember noticing that much. I tried all sorts of things the other night in training mode. I thought I had worked out how to do the low drilled shots but it doesn't always work so I went back to the drawing board lol

I'll see if I can dig out some ML shots I recorded that curl. it's only a slight curl, and I'm not sure how much is user input rather or just a naturally curling shot, but they have enough spin on the ball to make a difference.

What I've found with holding L2 before, during and after is that they seem to allow more control, so of you intend a low shot then it'll often go low just as you intended. I'm not sure if I'm activating some kind of manual shooting as it's the same button for manual passing, but you can also dribble with greater speed and accuracy while holding L2. I've gradually trained myself to use it for every shot however and my number of goals, and the variety of goals, has increased a lot.

Good stuff. I actually have the buttons mapped differently so L2 for me is R1. Well Right Bumper since I'm on Xbox :P

I once tried using the default (except for shoot and cross buttons) but came back to this one. It's just harder to understand what people mean when they explain something with the default controls lol.

I may try it though...

True, but I'm almost at the end of my tether now....has anyone else ever experienced the game just taking over the player you're in control of and making him move off on his own? I'm getting it loads the higher up the football ladder I get in ML which is odd.

Basically, and I've complained about this before, but you'll be in full control of a defender, jockeying nicely, then some invisible force literally just makes him kind of 'slide' backwards and to the side of the attacker, simply allowing him to waltz through and in on goal. It's only ever happened around the edge of my penalty area or on the wing. I'll manfully try and stop it from happening but the game just makes a defender fuck off out of the way of the ball.

I just switched the game off mid-match, it was so outrageous. I was 1-0 up at home to Sporting in a league match, comfortably holding on, then with ten minutes to go I'm jockeying on the wing, my defender just slides across the field without moving his legs and in an arc around the player with the ball, he dribbles through the gap the game made me leave behind. A second defender comes over, the same thing happens AGAIN, now he's in the penalty area, then he runs into my third defender without me making any challenge. He just ran into my stationary defender. Penalty. 1-1.

Next, two minutes later, my defender moves off of his own accord yet AGAIN. 2-1. Then, in injury time, the CPU takes a long range shot. It hits my defender on the edge of the box, cannons off his face, hits another defender which wrongfoots my keeper, and it dribbles into an empty net for 3-1 in a game which they almost never attacked.

Fucking outrageous. Surely someone has experienced this strange 'phenomenon' of the CPU just making defenders walk away even when you're in control of them?

I have all assists etc turned off.

Here's an example. I'm in control of this guy in the video, jockeying using R2 and X. He was keeping under my control until he starts to move, then the whole movement is totally against my own input commands. By the time he's started to shuffle to the right of the defender, I'm frantically trying to move the controller in the opposite direction to stop him from doing it.

Now, to anyone looking at that video, yes you see the CPU attacker momentarily throw the defender off-balance with a drop of the shoulder. But here's the problem. The CPU dropped his shoulder, yes, but I saw it coming and chose not to react to it in favour of dropping off him, jockeying, backing off waiting for my moment to launch into a block tackle.

It seems that the game made the attacker drop his shoulder, and it sent my defender into some kind of automated animation where he goes to block him off but is thrown by the shoulder drop and is wrong-footed. Fair enough if I made him go in to meet the defender, but I didn't, the game just decided to allow my defender to get wrong-footed against my own input commands and then performed some bizarre, arcing slide across the floor without moving his legs.

To me, that's the game deciding it was going to beat the defender regardless of what the user was trying to do, and allow itself a goal. It's no coincidence the shot that followed went in for a goal.

YouTube - Strange!

Anyways this kind of shit is happening way too much the more I play ML, and the more I play better teams. Anyone else noticed this or is it just me?!

Last edited:
lol poor fella

Show me a video of you doing these nice curled shots into the corner with L2 will ya.

I think I've tried shooting with L2 before but can't remember noticing that much. I tried all sorts of things the other night in training mode. I thought I had worked out how to do the low drilled shots but it doesn't always work so I went back to the drawing board lol

Oh and on a more positive note, Calcio, here's an example of the L2 shooting I was talking about. It's not full on curl as such, but it seems to get a bit of spin and dip as close to curl as you can get!

YouTube - 1

Do you keep hold of L2 before shooting and keep hold of it after they have shot or tap L2 when the power bar is on just like the R2 shots?

Oh and on a more positive note, Calcio, here's an example of the L2 shooting I was talking about. It's not full on curl as such, but it seems to get a bit of spin and dip as close to curl as you can get!

YouTube - 1

Damn, that video reminds me how good the game looks in daylight and sunny weather. In my whole league- and cup-games I never get to see the light of day... I do so miss it.:CRY:

Do you keep hold of L2 before shooting and keep hold of it after they have shot or tap L2 when the power bar is on just like the R2 shots?

Yep, I keep hold of it before during and after, but I haven't experimented with using L2 after, like you do with R2 shots.

I kind of think that it's a manual shot modifier as with passing, hence the greater versatility I'm finding with shots.

Agree with the day games comment. I think it looks great and usually plays great. I'm on -2 speed but it feels quite zippy still.

LTFC - I tried out the L2 shooting last night and I won't say it worked every single time or whether it was placebo but holding L2 as you shoot and until you've pressed the shoot button "seemed" to allow players to hit the ball with more power from less of a run up.

Normally I need to have a slight run up or take a quick touch to generate real power but using this technique seemed to allow players to dig the ball out from under their feet and still hit it with venom.

Not quite convinced on whether it helps direction that much but it might act as a steadier of sorts and perhaps introduce slightly different animations or mechanics. That's what it felt like anyway. I can't say it was radically different, which you wouldn't expect it to be. But I did notice something happening most of the time ;)

The problem with the CPU is that it can control multiple players at the same time while we can control only one player at the same time. Yesterday I made that nice throughball into the goal-area when one of my strikers had some space and the CPU immediately drew two defenders from left and right towards my striker so that eventhough he got the ball he couldn't do anything with it and lost it to them.

Try to do that yourself when defending, it won't work. When I draw a defender into a certain position and select another defender to draw into the same area, the other defender will go away in the mean time.

The CPU though has total control over the positioning of its players and can control more than one player at once and pixelperfect.

It's also visible in attack-mode, we can't replicate the movements and positioning the CPU does while in attack, especially when it has to score, because we can only control one player or two player at max ( if using the clunky two-player-control-method), the CPU though can control as many as it needs at once.

With jenkeys patch and difficulty set to normal me and my mate did not conceed a goal in 5 straight, guess we need to bump up difficulty..

Ps llorente is a stud in this gamd

that tutorial looks good!
anyway, guys, I have a big problem and I don't know how to sort it out. My lazy forwards do not make runs. Everytime my AMF has a ball, my forwards are one step in front of opponents backline and wait and even show it with their hands that they want ball right on their foot - not a through ball through opponent's backline. How to make them to do runs into the space?? Its problem in my ML team, my forwards have overall around 70. Teamwork also 70. I would LOVE to see something like this YouTube - PES 2012 Active AI Diagonal Runs Trailer
I don't want to use teammate control via right stick - YouTube - Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - Teammate Control System because when I touch the right stick, my AMF usually makes some kind of flip flap or stepover or whatever AND THAT SUCKS.
Also my player support (at gameplan) is 16 (offensive) and attacking style is down the middle.
Any suggestions? Sorry for my English though ;)

that tutorial looks good!
anyway, guys, I have a big problem and I don't know how to sort it out. My lazy forwards do not make runs. Everytime my AMF has a ball, my forwards are one step in front of opponents backline and wait and even show it with their hands that they want ball right on their foot - not a through ball through opponent's backline. How to make them to do runs into the space?? Its problem in my ML team, my forwards have overall around 70. Teamwork also 70. I would LOVE to see something like this YouTube - PES 2012 Active AI Diagonal Runs Trailer
I don't want to use teammate control via right stick - YouTube - Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - Teammate Control System because when I touch the right stick, my AMF usually makes some kind of flip flap or stepover or whatever AND THAT SUCKS.
Also my player support (at gameplan) is 16 (offensive) and attacking style is down the middle.
Any suggestions? Sorry for my English though ;)

The runs in PES 2012 are pretty lame because they are not very contextual. You can get good runs when you are in the middle of a counter-attack, but when probing around the CPU's defense, and you wait for your teammembers to make some clever and timed run, it won't happen.

It helps to pass the ball around, that seems to activate your players somewhat and when the ball leaves them, usually they will try a run. If nothing helps you can try your wing-men and make a throughpass to them, usually they will adapt and go for the ball.

What I experienced sometimes is that when I make a throughpass, even during a counter-attack and my running teammember will slow down before getting control of the ball, instead of keeping up speed and pushing the ball forward.

LOL this really swings from sublime to downright laughable. I suppose this isn't scripting at all either. I'm dealing with a through-ball over the top, the CPU's virtually only means of attack, I'm probably going to get to the ball first, oh, wait, the CPU has made my keeper rush out of his box without me telling him to.

Oh, wait. Now my keeper's just stopped outside his area. Oh, wait, now he's just standing there like he's forgotten what he's meant to be doing. Oh, wait, the CPU shoots pretty much a foot to the side of the keeper and he stands and does nothing but let it run past him. The game now finishes 1-1 when I deserved the win. I've improved my own game, and my ML team to the point where I rarely concede a 'footballing' goal, one where I was out-passed, pulled around, out-played. The CPU has little means with which to score against me now, and so I'm literally seeing shit like this every time I concede a goal. The game before this, I let in several goals in one match because the CPU kept screwing with cursor switching to the point that it was removing control of several players in a row as they went in for a tackle, then making them shuffle backwards away from the ball carrier.

So, in this example, the CPU played a lofted through-ball, then took control of my keeper and made him pretty much vacate the goal so it could just tap it into an empty net. Hmm. Nice to know you can rely on the game being fair in a vital ML match then.

Oh, and just so people know, my keeper was an 80-rated international goalkeeper on a yellow form arrow. Go figure.

YouTube - ??

Last edited:
I should really create a new thread dedicated to this crazy affair of yours.

Btw mate, if you're finding it too scripty, why not try a lesser difficulty?

I just tried out all the different sorts of shooting proposed in this thread:

# Using R1 as suggested in that video indeed leads to stronger shooting. What it does is push the ball out of the feet a bit so that the shooter has more space between foot and ball and can therefore use more power on it. The same sort of power can be generated by passing back the ball to another striker who then shoots the ball directly without taking it under control first.

# Using L2 as suggested by LTFC really is a sort of manual modifier, with it I have more control over the direction of shot and can better place them. Thanks LTFC for this major discovery!

Well because if I go down to normal difficulty then I win every game easily and it's boring.

I'm still enjoying the game but it's increasingly freaking out when I'm defending because of various issues. But there's no accounting for the game making your keeper just walk out of his goal then stand there like a lemon. The game just gifted itself an open goal!

Last edited:

# Using R1 as suggested in that video indeed leads to stronger shooting. What it does is push the ball out of the feet a bit so that the shooter has more space between foot and ball and can therefore use more power on it. The same sort of power can be generated by passing back the ball to another striker who then shoots the ball directly without taking it under control first.

# Using L2 as suggested by LTFC really is a sort of manual modifier, with it I have more control over the direction of shot and can better place them. Thanks LTFC for this major discovery!

Glad you're liking the L2 thing :)

I find it really useful in one-ones with the keeper, it lets you roll low shots with a lot more control.

I haven't had a chance to test out this guy's particular method of pressing sprint button after you press shoot button but just before he makles contact, so I can't say whether it works. What I think is actually happening is that, like you said, power is generated because the ball is out in front of the player.

I and probably others have written many times about this, months ago. From what I can see, as long as you tap sprint before you make contact so you have the ball out in front, you shouldn't need to press it after you press shoot. That might be a placebo and he thinks it's a special trick. But I will try it out tonight and see if I notice anything.

Good on him for putting up a video though.

One thing I have noticed though, is that even if you're around the 18 yard box, pressing the through ball button instead of the pass button will give the recipient that tiny bit of space in front of him so he can smack the ball first time. If you just press pass, the ball goes close to his foot and he can't generate the same power.

I'm not talking about laying it backwards for a midfielder coming through. More like if you're playing the ball slightly forward.

Glad you're liking the L2 thing :)

I find it really useful in one-ones with the keeper, it lets you roll low shots with a lot more control.

i noticed that as well. But why Konami didn't put into manual? Why didn't they show in a tutorial that is possible to have a lot more control on your shots with L2??

Some things just never change eh. They always like leaving us in the dark, discovering things ourselves.

I'm not sure L2 is really manual shooting. I think what it does is allow you to make the shot with the inside of the foot instead of the outside of the foot and that seems to allow for more control and better placement.

I'm not sure L2 is really manual shooting. I think what it does is allow you to make the shot with the inside of the foot instead of the outside of the foot and that seems to allow for more control and better placement.

Yeah that's exactly what I found, if you turn to a slight angle towards where you're facing then use L2, your player very clearly opens up and uses his instep to hit a shot. This type of shot makes it far easier to almost pass the ball into the net with more control.

I also notice, using L2 when one-on-one with the keeper, is that often the keeper half saves it but the ball carries on past him and into the net.

Oh, and I also notice that dribbling while holding L2 seems to make your player be able to turn at higher speeds. You can pull off some crazy dribbles just holding L2 and the direction stick.

for pes 2013 they really need to fix the basics of pes 12 first.
i aint bothered about wether ronaldo runs like ronaldo etc just fix the friggin basics first then move on.
in pes2012 the player switching is atrocious at times having recently played pes 6/ we10 on ps2 because my ps3 broke the games on pes2 the player switching was 100 times better.
because the player switching does not work properly in pes12 then you have players on your team under AI control that if a loose ball is near them they do nothing either they stand still or just watch it trickle past them, when in real life they would move to the ball.
keepers, the gk in this, again are rubbish. you should be able to have more control over them some of the dives they do are laughable.
also as i play online in quick matches the bias in this game towards barcalona and r madrid is unbelieveable and unnatural plus the scripting in general.
if these things could be rectified we would have a brilliant game, to me these are the basics get these right then add the other elements.

PS ltfc i had same problem re gk last week two games on the trot when playing online i passed to my full back but the player switching did not work, so my full back stood an watched it trickle passed him and my gk
took leave of his senses and came charging out of his net oblivious to the ball leaving my opponent an open goal. 2 games on the trot it happened. somedays this game is so crap.

Last edited:
Yeah that's exactly what I found, if you turn to a slight angle towards where you're facing then use L2, your player very clearly opens up and uses his instep to hit a shot. This type of shot makes it far easier to almost pass the ball into the net with more control.

I also notice, using L2 when one-on-one with the keeper, is that often the keeper half saves it but the ball carries on past him and into the net.

Oh, and I also notice that dribbling while holding L2 seems to make your player be able to turn at higher speeds. You can pull off some crazy dribbles just holding L2 and the direction stick.

Yes, L2 is a nice modifier and very effective. I used it already for manual passing when in the last third of the pitch as it works much better than the automatic throughball.

You can even use L2-passing for making goals when in one-on-one-situations with the goalkeeper, then you have basically manual low shooting with the inside foot as you get even more control over direction than with L2-shooting.

But this L2-shooting you discovered is a nice addition as it can be used even in crowded situations.

Since no day goes past without another troubling aspect of PES 2012 shining through, here is my most current one:

I make a throughball to my striker, he gets past the last defense-line, no offside, he runs towards the ball and then ffs slows down in order to get control of the ball, allowing the whole defense-line to catch up to him.:RANT:

And yet, despite all the bullshit and cheating it's still the most satisfactory football-game out there to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom