PES 2011 Master League Online beta Feedback thread

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
For the people who got their code, please be kind enough to post your feedback in this thread. Thank you.

I'll start with a quick one of mine:

This game is definitely miles better than 2010. It's a different game. Nothing to do with it. It feels so real. The passing, the shooting, dribbling, analogue stick feels perfect compared to older PESs.

Good presentation so far. This looks very much pro like. I also can say that we do have a "next-gen" PES, finally. Gameplay and graphics both good. Online is better than before and I'm pretty sure the better responsiveness helped. Played my first game and lost. I barely had one shot on goal fgs. I could barely leave my half... Had to get used to the passing, which feels much better. The ball feels weightier and I like it. Physicality feels good again and somewhat reminds me of PES5's. Many of my shots were ballooned and some were just wrong because of shooting with the wrong foot. This game is really good.

Note: Nevermind the Gks, they're pretty bad in this code. Like mentioned before they've been improved on and are apparently much better in the latest code.

About the club teams available, there are 5 leagues in, English, French, Spanish, Dutch, and Italian.

Would like to add that close control feels so good. I've never even touched the R2 button. Not sure on the best game ever, but it plays pretty damn well and feels pretty damn good.

impressions from RocPSU @ WENB

Quick impressions based on my first go with the game...

Presentation is slick compared to PES games of the past...Know it's been said before but it reminds me of PES4 in terms of screen layout...the replays are amazing - reminiscent of a taped broadcast...new camera is great.

Graphics and animations in the game are miles better than 2010 and I dare to say they are better than FIFA IMO. The players just move in a more lifelike, realistic manner, and they have a clear weight to them - not the floaty/skating that you see in FIFA (not trying to start a flame war, just comparing to what is currently out there to give people an idea). It actually looks like players are moving around in real space, having to plant their feet and change body positions to make a play with the dominant foot....which leads into...

Gameplay - the new animations and solidity of the players and the realistic way they move seems to have a bearing on how the game plays...players will make adjustments to their approach angle to the ball - it looks like they are actually aware that the ball is something worth protecting/advancing toward goal (hard to explain without seeing it for yourself)...the result gameplay wise is that you have to get used to the fact that your player will take an extra step or two before collecting the ball, which can be misconstrued as "losing freedom of control of the player" but I like to think of it as being more a representation of what a player would actually do on a football pitch - the result is that you have to account for it in your movement and build up, which makes you have to slow down and be a bit more measured in how you are playing the game...the game definitely encourages tactical play...

The game is slower and more tactical, but by no means boring - I had a couple frantic goal mouth scrambles in the game I played this morning that got the heart racing (in one, I hit the bar 2 times in a row before finally slotting home low - very satisfying and dramatic to say the least )...

Also, as Adam has said in previous posts/podcasts, when on the ball with a player (even one like ML standard Ximelez), you get the sense that you are in control, that simply by changing direction with the left stick, you can fend off an aggressive defender to make time to make a pass...the result again adds to realism of the game, because you can have one on one tussles and actually hold up play - something that past football games have not done as well... I've not seen any superhumans yet - no players weaving throughout an entire team in my brief play through, but I need to get more games in...

Passing is taking some getting used to - I find that I am either under hitting or rocketing passes to my teammates, so this will take some time before I feel comfortable with it...an important note with passing is that it's pretty instantaneous with your button presses, so if you expect lag, you wont get it...seems the key this year is getting both direction and pressure on X right to make even simple passes...it is definitely a change in the way you think when playing, which is welcome IMO, because every pass feels meaningful...

Goalkeepers seem to be pretty good and involved in the play...in the first goalmouth scramble, the keeper was up and diving for all 3 shots on goal, and they all came within a few seconds of each other...haven't seen any real Robert Green (or now Pepe Reina ) howlers yet...still need to play more games tho...shooting is vicious - you can really lash the ball (even with Castolo)

No real problems with refs yet...on the looks side, they are just like players - proper animations and seem to be connected/interested in what's going on in the match

As for the mode itself - it seems a bit more like FIFA's Ultimate Team than an online version of ML...the basic structure of playing one-off matches and competitions to gain currency to buy players is very much UL, but that is not a bad thing...I like that you don't have to worry about player contracts (e.g. how many games you have a player for) or training cards or anything like that...however, the mode does seem a bit spartan to really have the ML name...that said, it looks like a great way to play PES online and could be more rewarding that just hopping on the online mode and playing random matches...I also like that real players are available, you just have to play quite a few games to afford them at the moment...

At this point, I am eager to play more games so I can start buying better, named players to see how they feel in comparison to the ML starters...I want to be able to compare the functionality/playability of higher rated players with the lower rated ML-ers

More impressions as I play more...

harvey_80 @ WENB posted some vids

YouTube - Gameplay PES2011 beta online

Last edited:
Nice animations, peace of the game seems perfect. I want this game now..

First next gen pes is coming..

PS: Konami, I'm serious, change those fucking ugly nets NOW :D

Been playing for a few hours now. Really enjoying it for the most part. Some bits are absolutely fantastic.

Still a lot of things wrong with it - partly cos it's unfinished, partly things that aren't going to be fixed this year - but PES 2010 fans will be very happy indeed.

Getting quite annoyed at how indifferent players seem to be to passes that go well within reach of them. I thought this was just an old FIFA problem. You can definitely ping pong too, partly down to this and not quite enough error in the passing.

Still, the tempo of the game is generally awesome and it does feel like your passing options are much more numerous now. It does feel much more like a football game than 2010 did.

Solid impressions there Romagnoli.

I found ping ponging with the default players quite difficult. Most of my passes are going astray but that might be because im crap!

It feels like a looser PES 2010 if anything. You aren't as in control as the marketing would have you think but it's definitely more analog and receptive to your input.

I seem to be skying a lot of simple efforts with taps of square. In fact I've only seen a handful of shots on target in 4 hours of online play..

It feels like a looser PES 2010 if anything. You aren't as in control as the marketing would have you think but it's definitely more analog and receptive to your input.

I seem to be skying a lot of simple efforts with taps of square. In fact I've only seen a handful of shots on target in 4 hours of online play..

Same here. Most my shots are rocketing high. Pace feels great though. The slower pace they went for feels very realistic.

Defending feels much better, maybe it's because of the game's pace.

All of us are giving impressions based on ML default players who are pretty slow. Not sure how the quick ones will be.

Also noticed Ximelez is the best player in my team on the ball. Quicker too turn and feels easy controlling the ball. Got to do with the 84 dribble accuracy stat for sure.

what teams are unlicensed?
Licensed:

English League - Man Utd only.

Ligue 1 - all.

Italian League - all.

Eredivisie - all.

Spanish League - 14 teams - Almeria, Athletic Club, Barcelona, Deportivo La Coruna, Espanyol, Getafe, Gijon, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Mallorca, Racing Santander, Valencia, Villarreal, Zaragoza.

Rest unlicensed.

Hello all, I have been lurking here for quite some time now, but after playing the beta I figured I'd give something back to the community.

Let me start my impressions by saying that last year I swore never to give Konami my hard earned dollars again. We all know PES 2010 was a travesty. This year I'd be willing to buy copies of PES 2011 for my entire family (even my second cousins).

Passing
Growing up, I was always a believer in the beauty of a well timed, perfectly weighted pass. While everyone else around me focused on fancy tricks and flashy moves, I was dedicated to the passing game. I've never felt that any game (not even the almighty PES6)captured the true essence of passing...until now. Based on my 2 or so hours with the game, PES' passing system is sublime. Not only does it feel great gameplay wise, it brings back treasured memories as a lad on the pitch.

Player Movement
Another cornerstone of the beautiful game, a well timed offensive or defensive run can make all the difference. Attacking players make sensible runs into space, while Defensive players can more effectively cover open gaps. This is further helped by the new Game Plan interface. Exploiting weaknesses in your opponents strategy is very rewarding, and feels more akin to being an actual coach on the sidelines.

Defense
As a lad, I spent most of my time in the DM role. Knowing when to give space for more support/help, and when to close down quickly to pressure opponents is one of the most difficult aspects of football. Added to that is the ability to properly time a tackle when needed. It is no joke when people say defending is an art. Defending in PES 2011 is an art. No longer will you be restricted to simply pressuring an opponent. Proper defense tactics and timing are crucial.

Final Verdict
I'm not even going in to the improved animations, cameras etc. because I don't need to. If you are a football fan (or soccer for my american friends), PES 2011 is the closest you're going to get to the real thing this year. It's like playing chess for the first time after a lifetime of playing checkers.

I'll be back with more impressions regarding the Master League management side of the game, but here's my impressions of the gameplay.

It feels so much tighter; slow paced, open and realistic. The passing and crossing feel really open and free, with the manual modifier you can place it. Individuality also shines through, my striker cannot cross for toffee yet my midfielder seems to have a lot more success, especially when spreading play. It's the same with the passing and through balls. I can't see anything wrong with the animations, some of the shooting looks sublime. The shooting, even though quite hard to execute well, is also very measured. I've managed to place shots and have blasted a 30yarder already - felt really nice.

My main gripes so far is that players sometimes seem unaware when the ball is nearest to them and even if I've played them in will sometimes slow down - which is annoying when I've strung together some decent passing or played that killer ball only for the receiving player to lose his marbles. The defending also seems quite 'clumsy' (for want of a better word). I'm doing well at defending, but a lot of the times I'm winning clumsy tackles. The animations, whilst very nice can also seem quite slow and unresponsive - so for example if my player has had a cross blocked it takes a while before he becomes 'active' again - so that I can track back. Oh and the GKs are abysmal, I've conceded about 5 goals today from the side where the GK hasn't even bothered to react to the shot.

So far, absolutely loving it! Apart from a few gripes it's improved so much on PES 2010 in every area.

I'll be back with more impressions regarding the Master League management side of the game, but here's my impressions of the gameplay.

It feels so much tighter; slow paced, open and realistic. The passing and crossing feel really open and free, with the manual modifier you can place it. Individuality also shines through, my striker cannot cross for toffee yet my midfielder seems to have a lot more success, especially when spreading play. It's the same with the passing and through balls. I can't see anything wrong with the animations, some of the shooting looks sublime. The shooting, even though quite hard to execute well, is also very measured. I've managed to place shots and have blasted a 30yarder already - felt really nice.

My main gripes so far is that players sometimes seem unaware when the ball is nearest to them and even if I've played them in will sometimes slow down - which is annoying when I've strung together some decent passing or played that killer ball only for the receiving player to lose his marbles. The defending also seems quite 'clumsy' (for want of a better word). I'm doing well at defending, but a lot of the times I'm winning clumsy tackles. The animations, whilst very nice can also seem quite slow and unresponsive - so for example if my player has had a cross blocked it takes a while before he becomes 'active' again - so that I can track back. Oh and the GKs are abysmal, I've conceded about 5 goals today from the side where the GK hasn't even bothered to react to the shot.

So far, absolutely loving it! Apart from a few gripes it's improved so much on PES 2010 in every area.

How does it compare with fifa 10 mate

It feels so much tighter; slow paced, open and realistic.

I wonder what u say when u have Messi and Xavi in team :-)

For some reason I don't have a code despite signing up. Anyone got a spare?

Have both consoles so don't mind which its for if there is a kind soul

Just remember mate your playing the E3 code of the game.

Oh yeah I know, I just hope these are ironed out as they are getting quite annoying.

I know for a fact the GKs and refs will be better - John has already said.

Alot people are desprate to play the game. Im happy to wait for the finished version. The vids look good. Im happy the game speed is now slower.

Have they said whether the defence will be any better, or the awareness of non-controlled players? It seems like every time a striker is level with the defence, the defender seems surprised when a through ball is played. The end result is a striker clean through on goal with little real effort or imagination compared to trying to play the ball around the hard way. The counterbalance to this seems to be that most players just can't finish one on ones. If the player was off-balance every time I'd understand.

Not hating on it or anything! I'm really looking forward to the full thing with all it's fixes and tweaks. The pace is phenomenal, the feel of the passing is amazing compared to PES's past and you can see the tactical depth is clearly still intact. It's going to be a very big hit here and the online ML does seem like a very interesting twist on things. Just saying the balance of the defending, both AI and in accepting that I've pressed something needs a lot of tweaking to stop these innocuous passes that end up leading to clear cut chances. You might argue it's a player attribute thing, but even if it is, it doesn't feel like it. A lot of the time it still feels less like I'm asking to do the player something he can't, and more like my control inputs are being ignored for the sake of it.

Oh I forgot to add, online is super-smooth. I don't have luxury of a wired connection so for both the PS3 and 360 I'm on wireless. I have to say 9/10 matches have been lag free for me.

Re: PES 2011 Discussion thread

Ok I have played 6 matches on the Online Demo Code, very kindly sorted for me by Mart and Evo-Web. I'll make this a first impressions as I have just got back from Turkey and need to give my girlfriend some sexy time. Once I've given the game a few more days solid play I will report back with more.

The pace of the game is very, very good on default, and slower and more complete than possibly any PES yet. It suits what Konami have strived to achieve, a passing based game with a huge emphasis on midfield build-up play and battles

Passing - Superb, ultra freedom as promised and stat related, I can only use the default Master League players as I havent bid for anyone yet, but even with ther current players you can see a difference. I really need to play with an accomplised passer and teams to really note the differences.

Tapping X is great for little deft touches, I'm a D-Pad man but that is now gone for good, Analogue give so much more angles and freedom. Anything longer than a tap and you bring up the power bar, which suprisingly, I really like. Small triangular passing Spanish style can be replicated beautifully once you get the grip. Accuracy stats play a part.

Manual pass with L2 does exactly that, and puts it into a space, power bar assisted, but I didnt feel stat assisted. Also many directions are available, and the difference between just holding down X and L2 and X is that the normal pass will generally go in the direction and towards the player subject you aiming, but can fall short with error. It looks to pick an area, to feet, left or right, or slightly more either way, L2 manual doesnt. This gives you even more freedom of passing, very well put together. A pinged ball along the deck now gives you that extra zip to evade a potential interception.

Lobbed pass with Circle works very well, with excellent power and distance options at your finger tips. Lobbed Through Pass has some lovely 'clipped' animations and the ball moves beautifully in the air. I tried a 60 yard diagonal Manual high pass and the ball went to the area I'd aimed, although with a little too much power, but I did max it out.

Passing has never ever been this good, this free, or require this much skill. People with a good footballing brain will excel at this.

Shooting looked very varied, in 5 games I'm yet to score, and have only had a handful of shots, none hit with any real authority, but this will be down to my poor stats. I've seen some cracking strikes against me resulting in goals.

The Keepers have been superb in my 5 games, with my own keeper pulling off some incredible saves, but also not fumbling anything or flapping at high balls like they do in PES 2010. The goals I have conceded have been great goals, no arguments.

The referees have been equally excellent, I've not seen one bad decision and he has given a few Yellow Cards for cynical challenges that although didnt look like much, really did play spoiler tactics and disrupt a good move or chance.

The dribbling is the best yet, very risk V reward and really does replicate real life technique. Lesser players have poor close control and sprinting usually ensures if your not careful, you show your opponent too much off the ball, resulting is dispossession, or the physical battle, which is handed very realistically on player build, size and strength. Watching a big defender out-muscle a smaller weaker player off the ball is brilliant to watch and feel.

The tricks are suprisingly alot better then I thought. It is harder to reach for them, ensuring it's a risk, it also requires excellent timing. The worry of people abusing the tricks is null and void for me, it's like real life, you run a much higher risk of losing possession than you do beating the man. That said, when you time a trick right there is a huge sense of satisfaction, it's deserved, and you know it.

My one worry was that all players can do all the tricks, that isnt the case from what I saw. The defenders attempted only limited feints, and the success rate was lower as the technique affects the timing. I do need to look into this more. Some players didnt even attempt tricks when I tried, but that could be me.

The biggest step forward in PES 2010 was the emphasis on the first touch and how it varied from player, brilliantly mimicing real life. This system has now been improved even more, much more. The theorys are the same, but the animations make is work so much better. One of the main reasons is the new dribbling system, but more so, this new 360 movement. Now you really have so much more control of the players limbs, which creates infinite first touches and a massive amout on angles. With the stats having a huge effect, it really is very, very clever stuff.

The jumping over the ball animation is very good and automaticn, its initiated when you miss out a player with a harder pass and one of your players is in the way. The AI knows what your attempting and clears the path in a very pleasing way. The Ai itself seemed very good indeed, and I'm sure it can only be Regular by default. There will be no more sprint whoring go on in this game, those tactics can be stopped very efficiently.

I have only seen two suspect animations so far that didnt sit well with me. One was an attempted volley when a header was the better option. It just looked very wrong, and didnt connect. Also, a goal scored against me didnt look right, it was wrap round shot, but I didnt think it looked realistic. In saying that, most of the animations look superb compared to 2010, very smooth and relevant.

I've also seen players picking up a ball in open space and using their hips to feint one way and take the ball in the other direction. It gives a much more free feel to even collecting an open ball. High passes can be zipped and pinged in, and the ball feels very nicely weighted, and the odd floated direction predetermined pass is long gone. The physics of the ball are also massively improved, with alot more variation coming into play because of the excellent and varied First Touch.

One thing that instantly jumped out at me is the burst of speed and the relevant animation, very impressive. It really gives you the feeling of what your seeing and the relevant inertia is better than anything PES has done before.

Edit- To answer the post above, I've seen at least 5 one-handed saves already.

Back
Top Bottom