PES 2011 Demo impressions

However things that are dampaning the experience:

Visuals - Im sorry but i have the full version and FIFA looks miles better please get over it. Graphics are not everything but at times it looks like a PS2 game. I have a good TV 1080P 100 HZ so its not the TV

I disagree completely. I have the xbox360-version of the demo and the Fifa 11-demo and PES 2011 looks miles better, the visuals are way more photorealistic while Fifa goes for the cartoony look. From the looks everything in PES 2001 comes near to a broadcast, be it the playermodels, the faces, the pitch, the camera-angle... Sorry but on this one you are completely wrong.

I disagree completely. I have the xbox360-version of the demo and the Fifa 11-demo and PES 2011 looks miles better, the visuals are way more photorealistic while Fifa goes for the cartoony look. From the looks everything in PES 2001 comes near to a broadcast, be it the playermodels, the faces, the pitch, the camera-angle... Sorry but on this one you are completely wrong.

How can I possibly be comletely wrong I think FIFA looks better. PES looks drab..Im on PS3 so maybe its that but FIFA deffo looks better. And believe me some of the faces I have seen are not "photo realistic" Kyut as an example is awful and Torres is not very good either.

Im actually trying to balanced here.
I honestly think it will come down to what you want to play. If someone had never played a football game before they would go for FIFA everytime. PES fanatics wont be swayed and I cant honestly see FIFA players switching.

I think FIFA is just presented far better and has some nice gimmicks for a video game plus the real manual aspect. Saying that I havent played FIFA final code so I cant judge yet

Obviousl this is only my oppinion at the end of the day you have play what you enjoy the most. Its just sad that both sets of people wont give the other game a real chance. (not all but the majority for sure)

How can I possibly be comletely wrong I think FIFA looks better. PES looks drab..Im on PS3 so maybe its that but FIFA deffo looks better. And believe me some of the faces I have seen are not "photo realistic" Kyut as an example is awful and Torres is not very good either.

I honestly think it will come down to what you want to play. If someone had never played a football game before they would go for FIFA everytime. PES fanatics wont be swayed and I cant honestly see FIFA players switching.

I think FIFA is just presented far better and has some nice gimmicks for a video game plus the real manual aspect. Saying that I havent played FIFA final code so I cant judge yet

Obviousl this is only my oppinion at the end of the day you have play what you enjoy the most. Its just sad that both sets of people wont give the other game a real chance. (not all but the majority for sure)

I was strictly talking about the visuals, not gameplay,cause to judge gameplay I would have to play the full versions for a few weeks. Judging from the demos though, PES 2011 is despite a few bugs the better football-game, it's simply more realistic...

In the Fifa 11-demo gameplay is too physical oriented and with 1-2s you can walk through the defense even on legendary-difficulty.. the attacks of the AI are also too predicable and samey while the defense doesn't play well its defense-line.

But the demo of Fifa 11 is merely 80%-code missing some key-features like propassing and fatigue-system and maybe the AI receives a much needed boost, too.

But back to the visuals: The PS3-version of the PES 2011-demo is known to be ugly, probably a bug or something, cause even PES 2010 looked better on PS3.. If you want to judge the visuals look at the xbox360-demo... The visuals clearly go for photorealism in PES 2011 while Fifa 11 goes the cartoony-route. Sure Fifa 11 looks nice within its approach to the visuals, it has some nice touches but PES 2011 is on a whole other level thanks to its lightengine and better playmodels as well as the camera and pitch-dimension.

About faces, yes in Fifa 11 there are a handful or a dozen faces that were created using a new scantechnology, these indeed look way better than those in PES 2011 but all the other faces and those are the massive majority are completely inferior to the faces in PES 2011.

Last edited:
About faces, yes in Fifa 11 there are a handful or a dozen faces that were created using a new scantechnology, these indeed look way better than those in PES 2011 but all the other faces and those are the massive majority are completely inferior to the faces in PES 2011.

....and in PES you can add new faces to the game on the PS3, increasing the database further.

I prefer the PES approach to creating faces. Sure the Fifa11 face scanning tech is awesome but it's not a viable method for recreating the hundreds of faces that you need in a football game. It must be highly expensive and time consuming.

Konami's low-tech method means that even many lesser known players in PES have real faces, something which I much prefer.

Hello to all of you...I've been a huge fan of evo-web for years...and I remember dearly the discussions with PLF about database and editing in PES, that was the highlight years of PES in PS2. The game was massive and it was near perfect. The latest years with the new gen consoles has been a huge letdown, down to the point that i've drove completely to the competition and surrendered to a highly professional FIFA 10.

It comes a point in your life that experience becomes instinctive and you don't choose anything without thinking and remembering the past before, and there's a feeling when you play PES (even the most faulty ones) that is always there...it's the thrill of the goal, it's the difference between the players, there's some sort of magic that everyone that has played PES notices. Playing FIFA doesn't catches the same thrill, it's noticeable from the start.

This year PES delivers that same thrill and it's amazing how it's noticeable from just playing the demos. I've been playing again and again FIFA 11 and PES 2011 demos and I just can't stop to smile that even with a few noticeable glitches PES is a better football recreation this year (based only on the demos for now).

It's something for all to remember and this is Pro Evo, the sensation of getting into a Master League with a poor team and acquiring your first players that in the match you imediatly notice who they are by the way they play or touch or even run, and notice the difference they make for the flow of play is a sensation I never got in Ultimate Team in FIFA 10.
Even with this personality Plus or with a sharper modelling of the players FIFA doesn't get there...it's something that the PES engine has by nature and for me it's the core of true football.

I respect all of the choices made because in the end this is entertainment gaming and if FIFA has it's advantages in some points, AND THEY ARE MANY...PES is better in other ones and in the end it's this competition that makes the player inside all of us win with his choice.

When it comes down to the visuals there's always going to be differences in opinion because the two games have two very different styles, especially when it comes to player models.

Personally, I prefer the player models in PES, as in my eyes they are more photo-realistic. However, and this may just be with the demo, you can't deny that PES players have jaggy edges, which isn't the case in FIFA. Close-ups also tend to have a "grainy" element to them, most noticeable with faces.

In FIFA the colors are more vibrant, which can be good or bad, while the players are done in a more "cartoony" style. Nonetheless, FIFA is definitely the more polished of the two games, which is to be expected with the massive resources at the game's disposal and it's traditional emphasis on the superficial. Also, FIFA's new facial technology is outstanding.

In the end, it's all down to preference.

But the lighting in PES is far more realistic looking.

FIFA is a huge marketing power...it's normal that it has higher standards in visual technique. Look at the FIFA World Cup game presentation...it's a massive game only by looking at it. EA is perfect in recreating the mood that breeds in a football match but...PES is better (I hope by the DEMO...it seems to be) in recreating what it is playing the game, it's better in recreating the difference between a Lampard and a Deco, between a Miccoli and a Luca Toni...it's like Konami gives us the engine for the players to be the stars and not the presentation by itself.

Hello to all of you...I've been a huge fan of evo-web for years...and I remember dearly the discussions with PLF about database and editing in PES, that was the highlight years of PES in PS2. The game was massive and it was near perfect. The latest years with the new gen consoles has been a huge letdown, down to the point that i've drove completely to the competition and surrendered to a highly professional FIFA 10.

It comes a point in your life that experience becomes instinctive and you don't choose anything without thinking and remembering the past before, and there's a feeling when you play PES (even the most faulty ones) that is always there...it's the thrill of the goal, it's the difference between the players, there's some sort of magic that everyone that has played PES notices. Playing FIFA doesn't catches the same thrill, it's noticeable from the start.

This year PES delivers that same thrill and it's amazing how it's noticeable from just playing the demos. I've been playing again and again FIFA 11 and PES 2011 demos and I just can't stop to smile that even with a few noticeable glitches PES is a better football recreation this year (based only on the demos for now).

It's something for all to remember and this is Pro Evo, the sensation of getting into a Master League with a poor team and acquiring your first players that in the match you imediatly notice who they are by the way they play or touch or even run, and notice the difference they make for the flow of play is a sensation I never got in Ultimate Team in FIFA 10.
Even with this personality Plus or with a sharper modelling of the players FIFA doesn't get there...it's something that the PES engine has by nature and for me it's the core of true football.

I respect all of the choices made because in the end this is entertainment gaming and if FIFA has it's advantages in some points, AND THEY ARE MANY...PES is better in other ones and in the end it's this competition that makes the player inside all of us win with his choice.

Great post and, except for the part I've put in bold, I agree totally.

I am finding such satisfaction in PES' gameplay while FIFA frustrates more than not. Passing alone is a joy in PES! However, for some reason I'm not feeling a great level of satisfaction from the most important part of the game - scoring goals. Something is lacking for me. Maybe, after playing manual control in FIFA, the level of assist/automation in PES takes it away from me. Maybe it's the feeling of power behind the shot, or the weight of the ball. I really can't say, and it's weird 'cause I'm loving the passing system.

In FIFA, however, it's the complete opposite - I'm not enjoying playing the demo as much as I'd like, at least with manual controls, but I do feel the thrill when Arshavin smashes one in from outside the box.

I'm enjoying PES like I haven't in years, but something about scoring goals just isn't doing it for me at the moment. It may be that I just need more time with the game (I've played a little more than 30 matches I'd guess), or maybe it'll change when I feel ready to play on the higher levels (I'm still playing on Regular, just so I can get familiar again with PES' controls and mechanics). Really looking forward to playing the full game but I hope this improves for me.

I am finding such satisfaction in PES' gameplay while FIFA frustrates more than not. Passing alone is a joy in PES! However, for some reason I'm not feeling a great level of satisfaction from the most important part of the game - scoring goals. Something is lacking for me. Maybe, after playing manual control in FIFA, the level of assist/automation in PES takes it away from me. Maybe it's the feeling of power behind the shot, or the weight of the ball. I really can't say, and it's weird 'cause I'm loving the passing system.

In FIFA, however, it's the complete opposite - I'm not enjoying playing the demo as much as I'd like, at least with manual controls, but I do feel the thrill when Arshavin smashes one in from outside the box.

I'm enjoying PES like I haven't in years, but something about scoring goals just isn't doing it for me at the moment. It may be that I just need more time with the game (I've played a little more than 30 matches I'd guess), or maybe it'll change when I feel ready to play on the higher levels (I'm still playing on Regular, just so I can get familiar again with PES' controls and mechanics). Really looking forward to playing the full game but I hope this improves for me.

I understand completely what you say because I'm feeling the same...
When I refered to the trill of goals was in past episodes of PES...because I've yet to dominate this year controls of shooting.

I think there may be some coincidence that is happening to you and me and it seems to be the difference in playing FIFA and PES both games at the same time, the shooting bar is so different that it seems to be causing some problems in adapting to one style.

I must say I was a little dissapointed at first with the shooting in PES but with time I'm beginning to understand the way it functions. My reaction now is that shooting is based on many variables and for it to connect properly you have ro practice a lot more than before.

Once again it's the spirit of PES growing on you, practice makes perfection.

I understand completely what you say because I'm feeling the same...
When I refered to the trill of goals was in past episodes of PES...because I've yet to dominate this year controls of shooting.

I think there may be some coincidence that is happening to you and me and it seems to be the difference in playing FIFA and PES both games at the same time, the shooting bar is so different that it seems to be causing some problems in adapting to one style.

I must say I was a little dissapointed at first with the shooting in PES but with time I'm beginning to understand the way it functions. My reaction now is that shooting is based on many variables and for it to connect properly you have ro practice a lot more than before.

Once again it's the spirit of PES growing on you, practice makes perfection.

Very true - it took me about 20 matches before I could even hit the target with some regularity.

I'm wondering if what we're experiencing is down to how lightly you must press the shoot button to avoid ballooning shots into the stands. It feels a little strange not having to power-up a shot for a thunderous hit.

Like you said though, some of what I'm feeling may be from playing both demos at the same time. I find I'm getting my wires crossed at times - nothing worse than accidentally performing a slide-tackle and getting a red card when you meant for your teammate to press!

It looks like the ouchline bug is in the final game..i walked down the line three times and they just seem to jockey me and let me cross

I'm finding the shooting tough to get to grips with too. The shooting feels different to that in the Master League Online beta, even. It feels lighter to me.

PES2010 is the only football game I've spent significant time with in the last year and the shooting is very different to that, where it was heavy and required more use of the power bar. This year it's much lighter and you really have to be delicate on the shoot button. I don't think it's only people coming across from Fifa that are struggling - all of us seem to be.

I think it's just a case of getting used to it rather than it being broken in any way. It's seems very contextual, relying on body/feet position, distance of the ball from your feet, momentum, and of course shooting attributes and timing.

In the end though it only serves to heighten the feeling of scoring a goal, in my opinion of course.

I saw the faces for Ajax and PSV posted by a Dutch chap for both FIFA11 and PES2011. Knowing these players the PES models and likenesses were more lifelike and accurate albeit neither got Suarez anywhere near right.

PES graphics have been the match and superior to FIFA over this and the last iteration .

I'm finding the shooting tough to get to grips with too. The shooting feels different to that in the Master League Online beta, even. It feels lighter to me.

PES2010 is the only football game I've spent significant time with in the last year and the shooting is very different to that, where it was heavy and required more use of the power bar. This year it's much lighter and you really have to be delicate on the shoot button. I don't think it's only people coming across from Fifa that are struggling - all of us seem to be.

I think it's just a case of getting used to it rather than it being broken in any way. It's seems very contextual, relying on body/feet position, distance of the ball from your feet, momentum, and of course shooting attributes and timing.

In the end though it only serves to heighten the feeling of scoring a goal, in my opinion of course.

Spot on.Your shooter has to be balanced using their stronger foot etc etc. Much more realistic.

proevo 2011-demo on xbox360 is so near to the real thing in gamespeed, dribbling, pace, gameflow... it's awesome. Even the animations are so fluid, I repeat myself it's awesome...

The animations in the PC-version that I play on my mac with a windows xp on a second partition aren't so fluid and the CPU-attacking AI is tamer there than on xbox360, which is strange.

I prefer therefore the xbox360-version, eventhough the editing possibilities on PC are practically endless. I also like to play on the big TV sitting on my couch as my Mac doesn't have a TV-out...

What I wanted to say besides being in awe is I wish for more CPU-AI-challenge and more AI-intelligence among my team as well.. the CPU-AI's defense must be a bit more agressive and espescially its attacking AI needs more drive and that will to win.

My own team needs to be able to be more aware and better use the space available to create opportunities. Sure the new trick I learned today by some evowebposters today to do L1+pass to get them to make runs by making double-passes is nice and comes handy, but they should do clever runs without that as well, just like in real life.

Barcelona's players do more these clever runs than other teams in the PES-demo... and that shows a wrong game-design: In the game apparantely Konami to differiante between good and bad teams by making the good teams able to make good runs and being a bit faster and better able to control the ball and better at passing... but in reality that is not the case. In reality nearly all players have good control of the ball and can pass well and they are also fast and have agility, they make their runs.

What separates good teams from bad ones is not to be found in the basics of playing football, every team can play basic football very well, and so it must be in game too. What separates them is that good teams can play fast and open football for 120 minutes, their condition and fitness is above those from bad teams and they have specialists for freekicks, specialists for good crosses and brilliant throughballs, and they communicate better and work better together as well as having better goalgetters.

In game it should be like that, that if I want to play open and fast with a weak team against a strong team then it should be possible for at least 60-70 minutes, and then I should be punished with tired players and problems to defend against a still fit opponent. If I weren't lucky to score during my fit-time, then it's my bad luck and I will have to see how I get through the last 20 minutes.

So a bit more realism in that way and more possibilities even with weak teams and a more challenging AI in defense but especially in offense (in the demo it's too tame) and bugs patched and the referree patched so that he knows what advantage is and this game would be football-heaven.

Pretty much the same with me. Really enjoying playing the game until it comes to shooting. And when I do score, it's not very exciting.

Definitely, the very light touch required to shoot is part of the problem. I don't really like it because every other contact you have with the ball does not require this feather light touch, so it just feels like the controls are inconsistent. And the fact that you want to hit shots harder than passes, but have to use a lighter touch on the control, is counter intuitive.

Whilst FIFA11 is a poorer game, the controls feel more consistent and intuitive. The feel of passing and shooting fit together as part of a consistent, polished control system.

The other problem is that shooting in PES just feels too scripted. I can pass the ball around using a satisfying combination of manual and assisted passing, and feel that the balls goes more or less where I intend it to go (except assisted through balls, which often go off at very different angles to which I'm aiming) but at the most important moment, the shot, I have to let the cpu decide the outcome and that outcome is too often implausible.

You can just use the manual pass to blast the ball past the keeper. But it's an exploit as the keepers aren't coded up to expect that from you, so it's nearly always a goal. And it just feels wrong to score with a low pass.

But when I press shoot and my player comes out with some limp little chip or ridiculous balloon shot, it's just not right, it doesn't fit with the rest of the feel of the game.

The fact a manual pass is hit with more venom and accuracy than a shot makes a mockery of the scripted shooting system. Definitely needs work, Seabass.

Last edited:
It's simple stuff people, when it comes to PES/FIFA comparisons, Pro Evo has always played a more realistic and fun game of football by the simple facts of individuality and instinctive response and control. When it comes to visuals, Fifa is the king in terms of animations and presentation. Simple as that. PES however to look at has always been the king because it has always taken a more realistic looking path in that the players have always looked more human on PES and this last two years it's been seen in the hyper real textures on Pro Evo...in that regard Fifa has improved but it hasn't matched PES not by a longshot and they still have an awful long way to go on that front as to my eyes Fifa 11 has improved a lot in that regard but the players still look like robots. In motion it's quite the opposite but by the same token PES has improved alot but still can't match Fifa.

Play wise, apples to oranges. Two totally different interpretations of the way a game of football is played. Do you like the laid back/tv like approach ? Or do you like to get your hands dirty and have the freedom of instinctive response and control that the other game offers ? That's an individual choice and one isn't better than the other it's just which one prefers - me I'm on the PES side of the fence for sure but I do appreciate Fifa - and all fanboys dissing the other game purely because of brand loyalty can go straight to hell because you all suck balls your trolling means diddly squat it's just annoying.

Anyways I do believe with absolute certainty that the 1 thing that hasn't helped PES's cause is the fact that online play (on the pitch) has been truly shocking. This is something that Fifa does very well which has helped it to no end no doubt. Though Fifa is virtually unplayable too but for totally different reasons (rampant quitters unpunished, way too long to get a match etc) so both are great in their own way, comparing is like apples and oranges, but the truth is both have a lot of improving still to be done even now as good as they both are this year. Me personally I'll be insanely happy at that to finally have to awesome football games to play now that PES has turned a great one that's been long overdue on current systems. Fanboys really should try do the same they may then gain some insight and relativity for once!

Another thing ive noticed is the collison detection has gone the other way now..in the demo there was a gap and now several times you can see the the foot actually go through the other persons foot when a foul is comitted. You have to zoom in to see it but still sloppy

Pes 2011 is a good game.

I hate the atmosphere. The chanting is just disgusting. The commentary ruins the game play, So i turn it off.
A.I awareness is sometimes never to be found.

The shooting can be better. Sometimes i am under pressure and i shoot the ball in the top corner and sometimes I shoot the ball without any pressure and the ball flies in the air.

I hope that in 2012 we will have weather elements in the game that have a impact on the players. I.E Sun making players tired. Snow making players sluggish etc. poring rain etc.

Konami have a great game. I hope they will tweak it and innovate (instead of revamping like they did on the ps2 day's , which i hated and stopped buying football games for many years). Another feature i want back is the scenario mode.

Anyway. This time the ps3 will remain in living room.

Something bothering me the more I play: I'm getting tired of seeing so many players standing around doing nothing in situations they should be reacting to what's going on, whether it be a loose ball situation, or a typical offensive or defensive situation.

For all the progress PES has made, there still seems to be quite a few hiccups in the programming. Hopefully I'll be able to look beyond them all in the final release but at the moment I could see myself having one of two very different opinions of this game in a couple months.

yeah the player runs. it was much much better in pes/6. try looking past it mate. i'm very sure they're not gna improve it before the final release.

Tried playing as the away teams last night, the idea of it never hit me for some reason until then. Firstly, Bayern away at Barca. Good grief, I got one free-kick which should've been a red for Puyol, however no cards were shown. They absolutely volleyed the living fuck out of me and my clean, maybe sometimes slightly rough tackles on their players were deemed worthy of free-kicks and 5 yellow cards. Another thing I saw was that Barca flew at me from the off, I was 2-0 down within 20 minutes.

Went on the WE demo, played as Japan away at Spain. It was like being Holland in the World Cup final, there just wasn't going to ever be a way through. It obviously gets better the more you play harder teams, the more you'll find ways through etc.

I like this level of difference between matches at home & away. The referee is yes, a bit fickle, however knowing for example I've got to play Wolves at home and then Chelsea away in the ML, it will no doubt induce a little more fear knowing the opposition & referee are going to be on my back far more in the Chelsea match, to a level that's rather passable as realistic. Not really seen it in any previous football game, to this level.

Perhaps its your 1080p TV upscaling the 720p game that is making it look poor because PES looks great on my setup.

Ok im here to eat humble pie. This game has seriously grown on me now and im thouroghly enjoying it.

The problem with the graphics on the PS3 was down to me having 1080p on. Once I dropped down to 720P is looks fantastic. All the flickering in game gone and looking sharp.

The gameplay is really good. Getting the hang of manual passing and some of the touches implemented make me laugh but it looks real. Like over head kicked miss timed and fresh air is kicked.

I love the time on the ball you get so you can build. Theres loads of positive but I cant remember them all.

Fouls have be toned down massively since the demo.

It is really good and i ve playing ISS since Super Nes days before switching to FIFA in 09.. Yes Im that old :)

Ok im here to eat humble pie. This game has seriously grown on me now and im thouroghly enjoying it.

The problem with the graphics on the PS3 was down to me having 1080p on. Once I dropped down to 720P is looks fantastic. All the flickering in game gone and looking sharp.

The gameplay is really good. Getting the hang of manual passing and some of the touches implemented make me laugh but it looks real. Like over head kicked miss timed and fresh air is kicked.

I love the time on the ball you get so you can build. Theres loads of positive but I cant remember them all.

Fouls have be toned down massively since the demo.

It is really good and i ve playing ISS since Super Nes days before switching to FIFA in 09.. Yes Im that old :)
hey mate did you do that via the ps3(720p)?

Proxi, i've been playing quite a lot of demo matches both home and away and i never noticed any difference between home and away teams to be honest.
Maybe other people should react, maybe i'm not perceptive enough, but i have the feeling that you are imagining this difference...sorry if i'm wrong.

I don't think it will be look better if you change it on 720p :/

actually it looks totally different. On 1080p i was getting a flickering in game which effected the player models and i couldnt read the names above the players. It like blurred it out. Not seen it on any other games

Went into ps3 settings and turned off 1080p and 1080i so it is running in 720p. Have read in other places it cause problems on some games thats why i changed it.

Back
Top Bottom