PES 2010 Masterleague

thanks for the tip on how to check goalscoring and assist records. Worked a treat.

Played another season through last night. Again using just the coaching option. Tells you alot about my in game skills. Finished eighth again. Got to the quarters in the Europa league. losing 5-4 on aggregate to Marseille. Forgot to put Fellani back in after his rest.

How much does playing people out of position effect their performance? Been having to play Rodwell at CB. Was surprised to see his overall jump to 80 when I gave him a bit of a rest. When he is in the team it goes down to 68. Distin my other CB stays a constant 65. So my thinking is that Rodwell is the better option. Eventhough he is a DMF.

Struggling to sign a quality CF. Any suggestions/ Can't seem to get any big names to come. Looking for someone in the high 80's.

It's kinda hard to tell if there are any instant gameplay penalties for fielding someone out of his preffered position. Player won't (shouldn't?) be slower or physically weaker simply because he's placed to the wrong spot. Maybe there are some penalties regarding teamwork, who knows ...

From managerial point of view, playing someone totally out of his position (e.g. someone who's CB/SB only as CMF etc.) will make player complain about how he dislikes playing out of his position and he's going to be angrier and angrier if you ignore it for too long. And that may lead to purple condition arrows, etc.

And regarding that miraculous 68-to-80 jump in overall rating for a player after giving him a bit of rest - it's more likely that 68 is Konami's rating of Rodwell being used as CB (he's not registered as CB at all, right? Or at least it's not his primary position). If you see 80 only when he's not on the pitch (either if he's warming the bench, or if he's out of the match squad completely), then you should also see DMF icon beside his name, right? So 80 should be his natural rating as DMF, since game displays ratings only for default positions for each reserve player. Only starting 11 have their ratings displayed according to the formation that you use.

Enjoying ML :) forget what season I'm in now 7th or 8th... probably 8th. Youth player policy only is good fun, keeps my wage budget down.

Team

GK 98
LB 70
CB 101
CB 72
RB 80
DMF 75
CM 68
CM 96
SS 75
SS 68
CF 80

Subs

GK 87
CB 60
DMF 73
CM 66
SS 73
CF 79
CF 79

Would type names too but no idea how to spell half of them. 99% of the team is 21 and under, only one player is older and that's Delph who's 27 I think.

Want to sell my 3 main good players (my goaly, CB 101 and Delph who's rated 96) Just waiting for my fresh batch of 10 new youngsters to come through at the end of the season to see who I can get rid of and replace.

Got a guy called Netret come through at the end of last season rated 68 aged 19, not great ratings for that age, but the guy has two special cards. One is long ranger and the other in box to box... the guy can not stop scoring! Fantastic position player, always ready to have a pop at goal usually in acres of space.

I like to play possession footy and beat Porto 3-1 recently with almost 80% of the possession lol I enjoyed that game...

Currently sit top by 7 points in February, out the FA cup but still in the Champs League although I just lost 2-0 to Valencia in the 1st leg :/ that'll teach me for putting out the 2nd team.

Do these player cards make much difference when you're playing a game anyway?

For example, just1moreperson saying above there that he's got a player always willing to have a pop at goal. I guess that only really comes into it if you're coaching the match as opposed to playing?

Yes Rodwell is a designated DMF.
Is it best to have a player whose overall rating is the same when he is out of the team or in the team.
Take Pienaar he's got a rating of around 87. Can play SS or as WF. A couple of seasons ago I moved him to SS. Didn't effect his rating much initially. However after a while his rating did start to fall. Now I've got him back on the left wing and his rating constntly stays around 87.
Mata plays SS now. Seems to revel in it, with a rating of around 85. When I had him on the right wing he was a constant 76. Used to fly down the wing and score stunning strikes when he cut in. Pienaar much the same down the other wing.

I'd like to play the game more. However the coaching option seems more succesful in terms of results. I find it very difficult to get through defences. Eventhough I mange to get round the back fairly easy my strikers rarely semm to be able to convert the chances.

Any player's rating when in first 11 will be the same (ok, not always the same, +- 1 or 2 is always possible) as his rating when he's not in first 11 only if you field him at his primary registered position.

If e.g. you have a midfielder DMF(primary)/CMF(alternative)/AMF(alternative), his overall ranking in starting 11 will be maximized only if you use him as DMF. If you use him on alternative positions or even at positions he's not familiar with (CF for instance), his calculated overall ranking will be lower.

Player's favored side also matters - if you place someone who prefers right side only to the left side, overall ranking will be reduced quite a lot - e.g. using RMF(primary,right side preference only) as LMF or vice versa.

We all see that game calculates these ratings differently, depending on the position of a player. But the real question still remains whether misplacing a player implies any serious and immediate ingame performance penalties.

To be honest, I haven't noticed any drastic changes, but then again, I always try to use the players only at their natural positions. I didn't do any serious and long-running tests with unnaturally positioned players to be able to make any conlcusions.

The best thing to do is to run some tests by yourself. Try to play the same match over and over with ideally positioned players and then do it again with the same players, but with messed-up positioning.

@dags
Many cards do have effect, especially the ones that affect players' movement. Since you're effectively controlling only one player at the time, CPU controls your other teammates. CPU-controled teammate with Reaction card darts forward, centrebacks with Extra Attacker card activated regularly push forward too, ... to name just a few.

For example, just1moreperson saying above there that he's got a player always willing to have a pop at goal. I guess that only really comes into it if you're coaching the match as opposed to playing?

It's very rare for a player to have that card, it's not a Player Card you can actually train to have. The Long Ranger Card is something your born with I guess. Lampard and Gerrard both have it in PES. Just1moreperson is very lucky to have a Youth Player with that card. It means the player will look to find space before receiving the ball (CPU controlled) and when he does he has the time and space to crack one from distance with a much higher percentage ratio of hitting the target with power and accuracy.

It definately works better if your playing the game rather than coaching, as you can look for the player at every opportunity from 40 yards out to have a dig. Try training with Lamps and Stevie G, make sure the Long Ranger Card is switched on ( For some silly reason I have seen this card turned off by default ??? ) and try a few shots from long range.

Zlac -

I have ran many tests on the players played out of position and it does make a difference. Their response and reactions are not as good, and their passing is less accurate, not really tried much with regards shooting but I'd expect that to be the same. I did all this before I spent £2 million on training Libano as a SMF.

Last edited:

Dags I can confirm the difference.

Last season Hajnal was my CMF, aged 21 and rated 87. He scored between 5-10 goals all season in all comps.

This year Netret has the first team place, aged 19 rated 68 (but has the box to box card and long ranger card). He's scored between 10-15 goals already 3/4 through my season. When you take into account the overall ratings difference as well, it's even more impressive.

Zlac -

I have ran many tests on the players played out of position and it does make a difference. Their response and reactions are not as good, and their passing is less accurate, not really tried much with regards shooting but I'd expect that to be the same. I did all this before I spent £2 million on training Libano as a SMF.

Thanks for the tips. I suspected that there has to be home kind of penalty, why else would we see lowered ratings for less preffered positions? Reductions applied to pure physical attributes (pace, balance, etc.) never seemed like a logical choice, so I speculated that there might be some penalties regarding response, positioning, teamwork. Penalties that would make the player appear more "confused", that would make him less effective in "reading" the game. But as I said, I didn't test it enough to see the differences.

Yeah I've noticed playing players out of position affect them, especially the more pacy players that I have. Have a guy Papa Waigo on the wing, however I play SMF and he slows down drastically, however I am re-training him to be a SMF.

My Rodos team are going great guns, 10 points ahead of Ajax in the league, qualified for the next phase of the CL with 1 game remaining against Lyon. If I manage to not get beat I'll win the group.

Also my 35 year old striker Mihalis Stavros finished 2nd in the European POTY behind C.Ronaldo.

Also looks increasingly likely that my super goalie Nikoloas will move on, Real never wanted to go to the £40m mark, Valencia have bid £32m, if they up by another £5m then he'll be sold.

Finding it very difficult to bring in any players though, with the exception of a loan here or there and the normal players who are open to negotiation with me.

FD

Thanks for the tips. I suspected that there has to be home kind of penalty, why else would we see lowered ratings for less preffered positions? Reductions applied to pure physical attributes (pace, balance, etc.) never seemed like a logical choice, so I speculated that there might be some penalties regarding response, positioning, teamwork. Penalties that would make the player appear more "confused", that would make him less effective in "reading" the game. But as I said, I didn't test it enough to see the differences.

No worries. I tested it with the condition arrows set to Green on all occasions. Thats the only way to really be able to see the difference and deduce the differences.

Another thing i found out is that if one player can play lets say AMF n SMF and u let him play as an SMF he will play/move different than a player who just can play SMF.
The player radius/average position(s) will be different.

Both with same Position and Cards/Arrows/Opponent etc.

i like to test it with the average position(s) after the game in the stats/ratings

course of the game should be similar tou, not that one game u dominate and the other u counterattack coz u scored an early 1:0 etc.

Anyone noticed when in Master League despite being overrated a bit. C.Ronaldo doe nothing at all for Real Madrid, (Play with any team other than Madrid for Master League) hardly gets any assists or goals and Kaka, gago and Benzema are always the best players?

Also why do Madrid ALWAYS do so well, they always perfrom like a Dream team yet Barca seem to struggle a lot?

Same with Juventus who always seem to dominate the Champions League.

Played about 6-7 different manager modes with different teams and it's always the same story.

When the scout mentions "Messi" when talking about one of your youth players it doesn't half feel good :) 16yr old 86 rating and stats that are up there with the best already, thank you very much. Oh and I play the Barca system already...sweeeeet. He will work nicely with my 18yr old CF.

The Youth system is great, I now have a Goaly rated 99 and a CB rated 102, both via the youth system. Now a Messi type player and a great CF who will both reach the same levels of quality in time.

I also passed the £1 Billion mark today in funds... I don't spend any these days, haven't bought a player in 3-4 seasons. 100% youth team :)

Some of the players from my team are coming back through my youth team - this happens to you guys yeah? If it does, is it players that play a alot of seasons, not ones that only played a few (also guessing they would have to have a lot of love for the club too)?

I am guessing you couldn't bank on getting the same players (essentially for free) a year of so after they retire...

(by the way Batman Arkham Asylum is awesome, took a break from Master League to play it)

When the scout mentions "Messi" when talking about one of your youth players it doesn't half feel good :) 16yr old 86 rating and stats that are up there with the best already, thank you very much. Oh and I play the Barca system already...sweeeeet. He will work nicely with my 18yr old CF.

The Youth system is great, I now have a Goaly rated 99 and a CB rated 102, both via the youth system. Now a Messi type player and a great CF who will both reach the same levels of quality in time.

I also passed the £1 Billion mark today in funds... I don't spend any these days, haven't bought a player in 3-4 seasons. 100% youth team :)

I dream of the day I can afford a Level 5 Youth Academy. As for the £1 Billion, I dont even have a penny to scratch my arse with. :CONFUSE:

I dream of the day I can afford a Level 5 Youth Academy. As for the £1 Billion, I dont even have a penny to scratch my arse with. :CONFUSE:

I did wonder if the money would stop at £999,999,999 but nope, went over the £1B mark. I'm back at around 930m now after paying my players and staff.

The Messi youth player is off to a good start, he's right footed (unlike Messi) so I'm playing him on the left cutting in. He put one past Chelsea in my last game.

The Messi youth player is off to a good start, he's right footed (unlike Messi) so I'm playing him on the left cutting in. He put one past Chelsea in my last game.

Messi came through as a right footer - isn't that a bit strange...?

Next we'll have Beckham youth player being a Left Footer, terrible at Free Kicks but amazing heading stats or something.

Messi came through as a right footer - isn't that a bit strange...?

Next we'll have Beckham youth player being a Left Footer, terrible at Free Kicks but amazing heading stats or something.

Yea but it's not Messi coming back from retirement, it's a youth player being compared to Messi. I think the comparison the scout does is just that, the stats might be similar (the stats certainly look like Messi) but the guy himself is taller, right footed and black :SHOCK:

But I've had similar with my LB and RB, both were compared to Ashley Cole... yet one is a RB and right footed.

Yea but it's not Messi coming back from retirement, it's a youth player being compared to Messi. I think the comparison the scout does is just that, the stats might be similar (the stats certainly look like Messi) but the guy himself is taller, right footed and black :SHOCK:

But I've had similar with my LB and RB, both were compared to Ashley Cole... yet one is a RB and right footed.

only in my secound season with Cluj (i'm being more of a coach) and i already have a young player who is similar to Luca Toni :BOP:

Last edited:
loving the masterleague think im in my 7th season, started from the bottom with GIJ ROGO BLANCO, level 1 everything and crap players and have turned them into champions. Won the league and spanish cup for the first time last season. This season im top by 8 points and am in the champions league final for the first time against Arsenal. Im level 3-4 on everything now.

My team

GK: CELIKAY (76)
CB: PALMIERI (87) from youth team and is my captain
CB: NGALA (82)
RB: OS GAREIA (81)
LB: DIEGO CAPEL (90) this guy is a speed machine
DMF: ELHXAPER (88) great overall midfielder
CMF: FAURRER (84) has improved alot this season
RMF: A. TRAORE (79)
AMF: MAHAMANE TRAORE (85)scores alot of crucial goals
SS: KERLON (81) great playermaker
CF: LUIZ ADRIANO (83) powerful striker

Have got some good players on the bench aswell and a few youth players who cant get a look in.

Continuing to play through as coach with Everton. Sitting in third place in the league. Much better than I expected. Into the second round of the Europa league. Went out of the Fa cup first round though.
Doing all that with an extremely small squad. A long term injury to my SB Coleman, meant Hibbert had a long run in the team without a rest. Eventually had to play Distin CB at RB as Hibbert was fuming. Colemans back now.
It's annoying not being able to see the goalscorers with the results.A highlights package for coaching would have been nice aswell.
Really struggling to find replacements for my ageing players. Most in key positions too. Haven't been able to get to the fee stage of negotiations for ages. The youth program doesn't seem to be producing much either. What is it with youth team players wanting a fat contract straight away. Or am I just being tight?

Finished the 2014-15 season by winning the Europa league. Unfortunatly this seemed to have a debilitating effect on the league form. Slipped form third to seventh. Got into the Europa league again for 2015-16.Not sure if it's through the league or beacuase we won it.
Managed to sign a new striker. Vanwolfswinkel from Man U. £2.5m. He's started the season well.
Also signed Virota WB from Boca Juniors for a similar fee. Not sure why I signed him must have been a bit desperate. His overall spec is in the 80's. However I don't really play with wingbacks. Not sure if he's the reason why we have had a poor start to the season. Despite him also being able to play SB. May put Coleman back in and retrain Virota. Went out of the FA cup at the first round again. 5-2 to Arsenal.
Couldn't sign a CB. So promoted one from the youth team.
Pienaar again proved his worth. Was named as overall best player in the Europa league. Mata finished second top scorer in the league behind Rooney.
Signed a strange sponsorship deal. The clause is that Cahill must play 30 games. He's very much a squad player for me with his advancing age. Very little chance of him playing unless there are injuries.

Last edited:
Finished my 10th season (I think, lost count), won the treble for the first time since changing my policy to only using players from my own youth system. Time for a shake up as a few players will be after 15M per year contracts and I'm not giving them that :)

Got a nice collection in my youth team this time, with a Scholes look a like aged 16 and another decent DL. Also got some old Villa players back as youngsters, Carew, Young and Petrov all coming back through this season so I'll use them.

Got rid of about 7-8 players to make space for the youngsters coming through. My starting 11 will be weaker this year but wages will be down (they were only 50M per year for the whole squad anyway). All is well :)

I thought I was finally going for CL glory but lost to Man U in the semis. Really knocked the wind out of me, especially since I won the away game and slaughtered Inter 8-1 combined in the games before that. This was going to be my last season with Ajax but this last failure might change that.

Never got into the ML on this years PES before (I spent my last chunk of playtime in 'Be a Legend) so I have a few random questions.

1 - Are players reborn with their same names?
2 - If so are they added to the free agent list at some set point or do they randomly join teams youth teams?

3 - I loaned out Ranger (Newcastle) to some team abroad and before he left he was super fast at running with the ball. He left and I expected him to come back even better but he's returned a shell of his former self. His training rating graph thing shows he's dropped from a 78ish to around 60 and all of his speed attributes like dribbling with the ball, acceleration, etc are 60 ish down from the high 70's.

Now I haven't seen any messages about him having a broken leg while away or something that would explain why it's dropped so much. but could that have happened and you're just not told about it? Surely you should be told about things like that!

4 - Why the hell do players hearts drop when your reject a offer for them from other teams? I've had players with almost a full heart and my scout will tell me that 'they're not bothered either way, they're happy to stay or leave' and yet when i reject their heart drops. For a few players now I've had a group of offers at the same time resulting in the player ending with a broken heart.

5 - My keeper Krul has been stuck on a down arrow form for about 8 weeks.
I noticed it when 2 offers came in for him and i rejected them and he ended up with a broken heart. So I've been trying to play him every week to cheer him up. I did a penalty saver specialist training and that ended about 3 weeks ago and now I've started to play him every week but it's just stuck there constantly. Any ideas why he'd constantly be on a downer? does he want out?

Lastly
My first season in the premiership wasn't too bad with me finishing mid table and then the following season I finished 7th. I lost to the great teams and randomy would grind out draws or a lucky win against them. I drew most of my games with mid table teams and beat the bottom feeders easily.
But on my 3rd year it seems all the AI teams have been bumped up in difficulty or something because they're just ripping me apart. I'm playing the same tactics and formation as I always have, most of my team have improved stat wise and the players ive brought in have been quality. Chelsea's Malouda on the left wing and I managed to get Beckham just now for the right (and typically he announced his retirement right away) being the best known players. And although Beckham's ratings are dropping like crazy with him rated at around 65 now... I doubt he's to blame for it all.

But the top teams are now THRASHING ME 3 or 4 goals to whatever I manage.. usually 0 or 1. The mid table teams are more often than not beating me 1-0 in hard fought games and the bottom feeders are now drawing with me and hitting me on the counter. A few of them have beaten me now and I'm edging closer and closer to the relegation zone with a group of fixtures against the top teams coming up after the xmas halfway point.

Any ideas what's going on? how can the difficulty go up from top player?
-

In other news

Man United are lucky sons of...

I saw they picked up Sergio Agüero from ath madrid and Yoann Gourcuff from bordeaux. 2 years on Agüero is now rated at 97 and is the 2nd highest player in the game (C ronaldo is top on 98) and Gourcuff is 4th at 95. Both guys are ripping everyone to pieces whenever they play
*Buffon is 3rd at 95 also and is now at Liverpool who have become a world class team winning the premiership and champions league last season and are now ranked number 1 in the team rankings.

Last edited:
Rad - freshen it up a bit maybe. Sometimes I go through spells where I just "play" but I'm not really playing properly. I have to sort myself out and next game I go in buzzing with energy and ready to try some sexy football.

If not maybe you just need to find your best way of scoring with the players you have and hit teams time and time again with the same play.

Nah, the AI teams really do get better and faster over time. Play some ML and then return to exhibition mode- it's so much slower.

Rad - freshen it up a bit maybe. Sometimes I go through spells where I just "play" but I'm not really playing properly. I have to sort myself out and next game I go in buzzing with energy and ready to try some sexy football.

If not maybe you just need to find your best way of scoring with the players you have and hit teams time and time again with the same play.

The AI will only cotton on to what you are doing and counteract it, it's that Teamvision thing alot of people dismissed and laughed at. It actually does work, no question. The best way to combat this is change your formation and style of play.

I'm on my 5th season with the Boro and managed to finish 5th last season and secure a Europa Cup place, or so I thought. Imagine my surprise to find out I'd reached the Champions League play-off 2 legged game against Celtic. :CONFUSE:

I got my tactics all wrong and ended up losing 5-3 on aggregate. So back to the Europa Cup it was.

At the end of the last season I was struggling financially until my 33 year old Italian CF, that had been a loyal servant for Boro, stalled on a years extension to his contract. Iquanta, although an excellent goalscorer, and who had his best season to date for the Boro, was ready to be offloaded or leave of his own choosing due to him being not too happy with my offer of a one year deal. Then AC Milan came in with a bid of £10.4 million. I couldnt believe it, I'd only paid £1.2 million for him 3 seasons previous. I snapped off Milan's hand, wished the big Italian farewell, thanked him for his services and erected a statue in his honour outside the Riverside Stadium.

That offer was twice as much as I'd ever been offered for any of my players before, and it literally saved me financially, and gave me the funds to buy 3 new strikers, and gave me the strength in depth I'd been lacking. I bought a 25 year old LWF/SS/CF called Luan for £1.7 million, utter bargain. A young Belgian kid called Bentekke who had come through Barcelona's Youth System and is a wonderkid at 20 years old and 86 overall, and Athletico's new Argentinian SS/CF Salvio for a snip.

The best business I have done, I still have over £8 million in the bank and I have paid all my wages. The new strikers have all bagged a good few goals and this season looks like it's going to be my best yet.

Iquanta, you are a legend on Teesside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom