PES 2009 is better than ever

zortex

League 2
13 August 2003
I have been playing PES 2009 for the last 3 days and it is a great game.
First of all the most important issue for me is the gameplay.

So please don't discuss about the licences,boots,kits,stadiums etc.

Gameplay is much more realistic than ever and ball physics is like in real life.
PES 2008 was very fast and was very indivualistic gameplay ; it was a very arcade type but PES 2009 is very improved especially about gameplay.And ball speed is very realistic.
Shooting is better because in pes2008 we used to shoot from impossible angles -without the terms like support foot,space and time- (which was very unrealistic)
Now you have to find a little space to step your support foot,you have to be quick and balanced for a good shot.
Passing is better.If you like a possesion game,this is your game.Kick and Rush guys will be disappointed. Long passes (not only the crosses) is much more improved. And becomes more important it is the only way to speed up your game during a match.
Set pieces, especially corner kicks have more depth. You can send that damn ball to anywhere you like with any speed and any height...
Goalkeepers are the best ever.
Ball control is great, you understand it better on your moves around the touchline.You think you miss the ball but somehow you don't.
Better scoring chance 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper due to better control and plus you use inside of the foot for a more controlled shot better than ever.
As I told you before, teamwork is great. You don't need to play 4-3-3 for more attacking football. In PES 2008 You used to bring the ball from the flank and when you cross there were no one. You had to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 for more players around the oppnents penalty area for more attacking football. There was the only option.
Good news ! You can play a decent 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 and can play a very one sided and attacking match with that formation.
Also players especially experienced ones close the gaps in the defence and play with more coherence.
Players move in the penalty area before the corner kicks and this is much better.
Also editing is very easy. I am not an editing freak but I easily placed Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Arsenal emblems. Plus I added few original chants and registered few new transfers which were missing..
Plus become a legend mode and Champions league are fun to play and I like them.
I hope network play will be better.

Cheers

can't wait to get it. My mate is gonna drop it of this evening. I hope a few hours before the national football starts this evening!

Maybe 4-2-3-1 is a nice formation for ths years evo, gonna give that a try i think.

Gameplay is much more realistic than ever and ball physics is like in real life.
PES 2008 was very fast and was very indivualistic gameplay ; it was a very arcade type but PES 2009 is very improved especially about gameplay.And ball speed is very realistic.
Shooting is better because in pes2008 we used to shoot from impossible angles -without the terms like support foot,space and time- (which was very unrealistic)
Now you have to find a little space to step your support foot,you have to be quick and balanced for a good shot.
Passing is better.If you like a possesion game,this is your game.Kick and Rush guys will be disappointed. Long passes (not only the crosses) is much more improved. And becomes more important it is the only way to speed up your game during a match.
Set pieces, especially corner kicks have more depth. You can send that damn ball to anywhere you like with any speed and any height...
Ball control is great, you understand it better on your moves around the touchline.You think you miss the ball but somehow you don't.
Better scoring chance 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper due to better control and plus you use inside of the foot for a more controlled shot better than ever.
As I told you before, teamwork is great. You don't need to play 4-3-3 for more attacking football. In PES 2008 You used to bring the ball from the flank and when you cross there were no one. You had to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 for more players around the oppnents penalty area for more attacking football. There was the only option.
Good news ! You can play a decent 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 and can play a very one sided and attacking match with that formation.
Also players especially experienced ones close the gaps in the defence and play with more coherence.
Players move in the penalty area before the corner kicks and this is much better.
Also editing is very easy. I am not an editing freak but I easily placed Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Arsenal emblems. Plus I added few original chants and registered few new transfers which were missing..

Cheers

Thats one of the most constructive and informative posts I've read on this game, and obviously from a guy that knows what he is talking about.

I've hammered the demo, and I agree with everything you have said playwise, for me its the best in a very long time. I was hoping to get the game today but it doesnt arrive till tomorrow in my local shop so will have to wait another day. Arrggh !!

Thanks again, great post, and a hell of alot better than some of the crap I have read on here in the last few days.

Bravo Zortex. ;0)

zortex spot on mate. i agree with everything you have said and reading youre post makes me want the full game even more.

I've always played 3-2-2-1-2

3 defenders, 2 central defendings midfielders, 2 wingers, 1 second striker and 2 forwards. It has always served me well so I'll stick to that :)

Thats one of the most constructive and informative posts I've read on this game, and obviously from a guy that knows what he is talking about.

I've hammered the demo, and I agree with everything you have said playwise, for me its the best in a very long time. I was hoping to get the game today but it doesnt arrive till tomorrow in my local shop so will have to wait another day. Arrggh !!

Thanks again, great post, and a hell of alot better than some of the crap I have read on here in the last few days.

Bravo Zortex. ;0)

Constructive? :LOL: Where are the negative points? It's not constructive, it's just a lovefest without wanting to talk about any poor points. The gameplay isn't perfect, so he could've mentioned bad points but chose not to.

That's not being constructive.

Constructive? :LOL: Where are the negative points? It's not constructive, it's just a lovefest without wanting to talk about any poor points. The gameplay isn't perfect, so he could've mentioned bad points but chose not to.

That's not being constructive.

Its the best depictation of the beautiful game I have played in recent times. Thats good enough for me. People can moan as much as they want about Licences, kits, chants, transfers etc etc. Sure its not perfect, but its still, in my opinion the most realistic football simulation on the market, and a vast improvement on last years shambles. I wont even mention the 'F' word as that just isnt my idea of football.

Constructive may have been the wrong word in hindsight, but my intention was meant in the regard its a positive post as opposed to the negative. Highlighting whats good and improved in area's that mean the most, i.e. gameplay and accurate physics.

I've been playing football games since World Cup on the ZX Spectrum, 24 years ago. I have had every PES or ISS since conception. And for me this latest incarnation is excellent from what I've seen so far.

That is it.

Can we please keep this thread as sort of an oasis for all the guys who really enjoy the game without having to mention its flaws and thus turning this thread into the 3986475th slugfest? You wanna moan about the game, that's fine, but don't do it in here. Cheers!

Last edited:

Cheers

Can you import chants for each team ?

I agree, PES 2009 is one of the best versions of WE/PES that I've played! Much, much improved over 2008 of course, regardless of player models and ball physics and gameplay, but my heart still holds a special place for WE9:LE ^_^

Can you import chants for each team ?
Yep you can import any chants but I could not find a free chant in mp3 format for Chelsea. I placed You'll never walk alone for Liverpool and it's marvellous.
Just a negative point: only 1 chant you can import for a team. I think we can edit a unique chant which is accumulated by different songs but in 1 file, haven't try it but worth to try I guess.

I have completely different opinion

I'm not a fifa fanboy, but pes5,pes6 fanboy..

After playing some games of the final pc version (and a lot in the demo):

Game better (slightly?) than pes 2008.
Game is way worse than pes 6. I'm absolutely sure you will realize this soon.

Some findings regarding pes 2009.

1. I have found a really annoying bug: If you change sides between your 2 forwards for example, they will change it only after ball goes out of the pitch. Like making substitutions. Really annoying, if the ball remains on the pitch, your players won't change sides. I checked pes 5,6, player change sides during action.

2. I have won all my games till now on top player. Ok I was playing barca, but it never happened in pes6 with the same teems.

3. they removed keeper cursor, ADVANTAGE RULE ..

4. Shooting is way too easy, almost every time if I want, I can hit the goal

5. Keeper hardly catch any ball, they won't perry it to the opposition, but cannot hold the ball at all...

6. Really easy to go through defenders with good forwards

7. Rain looks good, but I haven't noticed any other influence on the gameplay. Thanks KONAMI ...

8. The awful sound of the ball is still there

9. Defenders are running out of position constantly, really easy to go behind them with a L1+through ball shot.

10. Fatigue system is broken again.. Like in Pes 2008. Pes6 was perfect in this.

11. Referees are really bad again. Worse than Pes5. Again here Pes6 was perfectly balanced (for me)-

12. Shooting and passing is more automated then ever. I don't feel, that I'm in control of the action.

13. Penalty glitch is still there, Shot low and middle, always score. It was already in Pes6. It killed the enjoyment of the shoot outs.

14. Scoring along a keeper with gardening gloves in fishing nets is really pleasing.

15. Should I continue with lack of licenses, bad roosters, 4 licensed balls, 7!!! Konami balls, removed control abilities for special moves, no mp3 playlist for pc, and xbox 360.

16. I'm absolutely sure, that online will be broken too.

PLEASE LET US KNOW YOUR OPINION! I'M RIGHT or I'M TOO BLIND TO SEE THE GREATNESS OF THE GAME.

I WAS SO EXCITED WITH PES5 and PES6 (I started my PES career with them), after pes6 I was hyped and got disappointed second year in a row..

I will check the ps2 versions of pes2009. Maybe. If not I will stick with pes6..

i agree with zortex,this game is just amazing...

Lizarazu 77 I've added "Kartal gool gool gol" chant to Besiktas ut unfortunately could not find Zapotocny neither in Udinese nor in Czech Rebublic.
Best Wishes from Istanbul

Besiktasli olunmaz Besiktasli dogulur diyorum sadece..

We all guys are here because we love this game. We are all from different countries, different ages, different life styles, different tastes etc. But this damn game unifies us somehow. B'cause all of us are passionate to that game.
So why to discuss about only the negative points. Yes there are a lot of negative, missing and stupid things in the game But this is not a matter of being or existence. Its just a game and we like it all.
Pes 2008 was very arcade type and unrealistic. This one is much better.
All I expect is : A better online plya and I hope we shall organize leagues or tournaments online.

Cheers

A note for Bonyi
If I am not wrong you played the PC version, you may be right but we praise the game cos we play the PS3 version. PC guys usually prefer FIFA actually. So different point of views might be usual.

Last edited:
Guys i finally made up my mind. I sold the game already (ps3 version)!

I am gonna buy the ps2 version...Pitty for Konami.

I cant stand the tragic running and turning animations and the ping pong ball while a player runs with it...

If I ever got this game, the screams of anger from Gordon Ramsay would be heard from the stands when playing against my most hated sides, for example Chelsea & Arsenal...

*fans' general noise*
Custom Chant - "You donkeys! None of you are working as a team"

1. I have found a really annoying bug: If you change sides between your 2 forwards for example, they will change it only after ball goes out of the pitch. Like making substitutions. Really annoying, if the ball remains on the pitch, your players won't change sides. I checked pes 5,6, player change sides during action.

2. I have won all my games till now on top player. Ok I was playing barca, but it never happened in pes6 with the same teems.

5. Keeper hardly catch any ball, they won't perry it to the opposition, but cannot hold the ball at all...

6. Really easy to go through defenders with good forwards

7. Rain looks good, but I haven't noticed any other influence on the gameplay. Thanks KONAMI ...

8. The awful sound of the ball is still there

9. Defenders are running out of position constantly, really easy to go behind them with a L1+through ball shot.

10. Fatigue system is broken again.. Like in Pes 2008. Pes6 was perfect in this.

11. Referees are really bad again. Worse than Pes5. Again here Pes6 was perfectly balanced (for me)-

12. Shooting and passing is more automated then ever. I don't feel, that I'm in control of the action.

13. Penalty glitch is still there, Shot low and middle, always score. It was already in Pes6. It killed the enjoyment of the shoot outs.

14. Scoring along a keeper with gardening gloves in fishing nets is really pleasing.

15. Should I continue with lack of licenses, bad roosters, 4 licensed balls, 7!!! Konami balls, removed control abilities for special moves, no mp3 playlist for pc, and xbox 360.

PLEASE LET US KNOW YOUR OPINION! I'M RIGHT or I'M TOO BLIND TO SEE THE GREATNESS OF THE GAME.

I WAS SO EXCITED WITH PES5 and PES6 (I started my PES career with them), after pes6 I was hyped and got disappointed second year in a row..

I will check the ps2 versions of pes2009. Maybe. If not I will stick with pes6..

Absolutely agree! been playing this game since psx ISS and since last year they blew the enjoyment right out of the game. Robotic moves, stupid net animations and look, ball seems to weigh 1 ton and sounds awful and this year they decided to take the goalkeeper cursor out and change the way R2 works making some feints more like fifa?!...well done konami!

Fifa is trying to copy the way pes used to feel (controls wise)and gaining fans with that and pes is going the fifa way! How can they be so stupid??

Guess i have to stick with PES6, too bad for some young players stats though.

btw, i heard rumors they were shutting down pes6 online servers?! is it true?

PES6 is undoubtedly the best in the series IMO!

Absolutely agree! been playing this game since psx ISS and since last year they blew the enjoyment right out of the game. Robotic moves, stupid net animations and look, ball seems to weigh 1 ton and sounds awful and this year they decided to take the goalkeeper cursor out and change the way R2 works making some feints more like fifa?!...well done konami!

Fifa is trying to copy the way pes used to feel (controls wise)and gaining fans with that and pes is going the fifa way! How can they be so stupid??

if this is true i will never buy a konami game again, pes6 is the only footy game thats playable online, pes2008 pes2009 is beyond a joke online.

i agree 100% PES 6 is still the best i buy pes 2008 played it for 2 weeks and trash it ,now i have pes2009 gameplay is good but the gardening gloves and the gk never catch the ball.

never mind that...my version the computer is controling most of my play and also the controls tend to stick, i pass one direction and it passes a totally different...cusor changes to the dumbest position (e.g. i'm attacking in thier half, change cusor and centre back is selected in my half) player AI is stupid, they dont get into the right position...penalty decisions are stupid and plays tend to get sent off to easily...i can write more but cant be bothered...i'm gonna give it another week or so and see what the outcome is...

can anyone tell me how different the ps3 version is to the pc version? i have the pc version and its the most slow dull peice of shit ive ever played, i want to go buy the ps3 version tomorrow, is it any different?

never mind that...my version the computer is controling most of my play and also the controls tend to stick, i pass one direction and it passes a totally different...cusor changes to the dumbest position (e.g. i'm attacking in thier half, change cusor and centre back is selected in my half) player AI is stupid, they dont get into the right position...penalty decisions are stupid and plays tend to get sent off to easily...i can write more but cant be bothered...i'm gonna give it another week or so and see what the outcome is...

i think we are playing different games,none of those things u say happened to me since 2 days i am playing the game....

i think i need to eat my words... after playing the demo pes 2009 on ps3 i wasnt impressed but having got the full game today (thanks shopto.com) and playing it for a while my view has completely changed ( is it just me or is the full game quicker than demo??) it seems miles better than the demo & the shooting seems a million times better too! good work...roll on the updates & option files

The graphics are simply the best.

They did a fantastic job with the graphics this year. The lightings especially are top class. You really feel like you are in the stadium with the balance of the lights. It is just perfect.

The pitch is also wonderful, and the rain is more realistic than ever. The faces and the hair textures too. Everything is great.

I tried Fifa on ps3 too and they say it has good graphics. No way, it looks so unrealistic and pes 2009 is the best.

1. I have found a really annoying bug: If you change sides between your 2 forwards for example, they will change it only after ball goes out of the pitch. Like making substitutions. Really annoying, if the ball remains on the pitch, your players won't change sides. I checked pes 5,6, player change sides during action. Sorry pal, but i believe thats been in all of them.

2. I have won all my games till now on top player. Ok I was playing barca, but it never happened in pes6 with the same teems. Go to PES 08 and have a "challenge"

6. Really easy to go through defenders with good forwards NO SHIT, have you ever played football?

8. The awful sound of the ball is still there Turn it down

13. Penalty glitch is still there, Shot low and middle, always score. It was already in Pes6. It killed the enjoyment of the shoot outs. Hit it into the corners if its bothering you so much

14. Scoring along a keeper with gardening gloves in fishing nets is really pleasing. WE HAVE A WINNER

15. Should I continue with lack of licenses, bad roosters, 4 licensed balls, 7!!! Konami balls, removed control abilities for special moves, no mp3 playlist for pc, and xbox 360. Stop nit picking, there will be a patch soon. you dont need a playlist for PC or xbox, you can play music on either, im not gonna run off to FIFA for lack of control on menu music.

Back
Top Bottom