My hotmail account has been hijacked! What can I do?

RuneEdge

Silent Assassin
1 October 2003
Manchester United
Not sure how it happened (I have some ideas but that's another story). They've basically changed my password and now also changed my security question. I've changed my paypal, my online bank account, and a couple of other things to another email address so I'm hoping those are safe. Is there anything else I can do?
Can I have my old email shut off completely so no one has access to it? Or is it possible for me to actually get that email back?

A couple of you here who have me on MSN might have been getting spam from me. This is basically why.

It happened to me, I just changed my password to a super duper one and just checked on stuff every now and again to make sure they didn't take/or fuck up anything else.

Seems to be fine now.

I dont think you get it. I can no longer access the account anymore. It happened once before where they got my account and changed the password on it, but I clicked the "forgot your password?" link and got it reset using a security question like "What's your mother's maiden name?" or whatever.
But now they did it again and this time changed my security question too so now I have no way of getting access to the account ever again. It's over 7 years old and had a few important bits of info going into it, such as my online bank, paypal, etc all being linked to it.
I logged onto Paypal and my bank account and got the emails associated with them changed to a new fresh one but I'm still not sure how much power my old email still has over me, which is what's making me very paranoid at the moment.

Ah i see, that is a bugger.

have you tried contacting msn? (I dont know how you do that?) there must be a way of sorting it out, it must happen alot.

Good luck!

Contact MSN or windows live. Don't know if these guys respong quick.

I once contacted facebook and they responded pretty fast and saved my account.

When you first contact MSN, you will get an automated response, but hopefully you will be able to get through to them quicker by explaining your problem quicker. So long as you are clear with what has happened. You will probably get a decent person to deal with, they will ask some more questions to help verify it was originally your account. When they are happy, they will send you an email to the address you specify and it will have a link to reset your email password and security question.

When you first contact MSN, you will get an automated response, but hopefully you will be able to get through to them quicker by explaining your problem quicker. So long as you are clear with what has happened. You will probably get a decent person to deal with, they will ask some more questions to help verify it was originally your account. When they are happy, they will send you an email to the address you specify and it will have a link to reset your email password and security question.

Thanks. Just done that and got everything sorted. They took the piss answering questions though. And it took a couple of attempts before they believed the account in question was in fact mines.
But it's all sorted now so I'm happy. :))

Somehow emails got sent out from my account at 7:00 this morning

Fuck knows how it happened

You had me worried then :)

I have no idea how someone sent it from my account, i have scanned my PC with multiple stuff and nothing was found so it may be something to do with the iPhone

I had the same happen ot me on my AOL account 2 weeks ago and 3 days later the girlfriend had some on her yahoo account. no trace of them being sent in the sent items but a lot of mailer daemon returned emails. changed passwords and had no repeat since.

very strange and annoying

Do you have a iPhone Met?

I'm sure that's what fucked my e-mail up because i didnt have no viruses or spyware at all on my PC

Nope!

Its annoying me to death that I cant receive e-mails! Im not even sure how to contact them about the problem. Grrrrr

Coopz did the e-mail that got sent out read :

I bought one white apple iphone 4G 16GB from this website ( kogiug.com )to my surprise! it's genuine. much cheaper.You can check it! Hope all is going well for you.

Last edited:
Nope!

Its annoying me to death that I cant receive e-mails! Im not even sure how to contact them about the problem. Grrrrr

Coopz did the e-mail that got sent out read :

I haven't got a clue what mine said i was just told it was a link to something, maybe someone here clicked it and could let us both know

Dont mean you scare you guys but this is the kinda shit that was happening on my account before it eventually got stolen from me and then had my password and security question changed so that I lose all access.

Yeah. After a few weeks of the spam being sent out from my account, I woke up one day and my MSN wouldnt log in. At first I thought it was just MSN playing up cuz that happens to me from time to time (firewall problems). But then I later figure out that my password was wrong when I tried logging onto the Hotmail site to check my mail. I used the security question to regain access and things were fine again.
About a week later, the exact same thing happened again but this time my security question had also been changed to some random question in french.
So yeah, changing my password the first time didnt really help I guess.

Yeah. After a few weeks of the spam being sent out from my account, I woke up one day and my MSN wouldnt log in. At first I thought it was just MSN playing up cuz that happens to me from time to time (firewall problems). But then I later figure out that my password was wrong when I tried logging onto the Hotmail site to check my mail. I used the security question to regain access and things were fine again.
About a week later, the exact same thing happened again but this time my security question had also been changed to some random question in french.
So yeah, changing my password the first time didnt really help I guess.

Damn that's bad, so changing your password does nothing to stop it...

I think im gonna have to forward all my important stuff to gmail then so if it does get taken over there isn't anything there to play with

I think im gonna have to forward all my important stuff to gmail then so if it does get taken over there isn't anything there to play with

Haha same here!

Im currently forwarding stuff like a mad man

Iv also changed my password and security question to something rather complicated so hopefully they cant get back in

I think its something to do with Windows Live that's so easy to hijack your accounts.
I currently have everything sent over to my second hotmail account but on second thoughts, I might make a new gmail one and use that instead.

Just received this

Hello, [MY E-MAIL ADDRESS]:

We received your request to reset your Windows Live password. To confirm your request and reset your password, follow the instructions below. Confirming your request helps prevent unauthorized access to your account.

If you didn't request that your password be reset, please follow the instructions below to cancel your request.

CONFIRM REQUEST AND RESET PASSWORD

1. Copy the following web address:

https://accountservices.msn.com/Ema...r37t6b0N26B3INtEWRtNe51wIjE=&lc=1033&urlnum=0

IMPORTANT: Because fraudulent ("phishing") e-mail often uses misleading links, Microsoft recommends that you do not click links in e-mail, but instead copy and paste them into your browsers, as described above.

2. Open your web browser, paste the link in the address bar, and then press ENTER.

3. Follow the instructions on the web page that opens.

CANCEL PASSWORD RESET

1. Copy the following web address.

https://accountservices.msn.com/Ema...r37t6b0N26B3INtEWRtNe51wIjE=&lc=1033&urlnum=1

IMPORTANT: Because fraudulent ("phishing") e-mail often uses misleading links, Microsoft recommends that you do not click links in e-mail, but instead copy and paste them into your browsers, as described above.

2. Open your web browser, paste the link in the address bar, and then press ENTER.

3. Follow the instructions on the web page that opens.

OTHER INFORMATION

Windows Live is committed to protecting your privacy. We encourage you to review our privacy statement Privacy Statement at http://g.msn.co.uk/2privacy/engb.

For more information, go to the Windows Live Account site at https://account.live.com.

Thank you,

Windows Live Team

NOTE: Please do not reply to this message, which was sent from an unmonitored e-mail address. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

Im not clicking anything on that!

I got that recently too. And this was after I regained access to my account.
I didnt click any of those links either.

Back
Top Bottom