Most anticipated game in 2012

Gaming is fucking dire these days. Sure, there are still some great games out there but equally too many dumbed down, simplistic games that appeal to the lowest common denominators in society. There are too many fps games and not enough strategy games that place intelligence and strategy over dexterity with a controller.

Perhaps I'm getting old and grumpy but games used to be varied, imaginative, creative and challenging. I'm sick of the same old genres these days and the tendency of games to hand-hold the player from start to finish. The trouble is games have such huge development and licensing costs these days that no developer is prepared to take risks. Everything has to have mass-market appeal.

/rant.

I've got a Blu Ray player that plays games. If I can find a couple 2-3 games worth buying each year I'm fine with that.

its all an illusion.

When was there ever loadsa great games per year.

I remember in 1997 or something I had MGS1, FF7 and Pro evo soccer. I think that was only 3 games I really bought/enjoyed.

DIfference is nowadays there are 50 new games per month. 1 or 2 are great a few more are ok and some playable. That means we have even more great games per year. However we also have 1000+ shit games.

Another difference is nowadays any company can make a great looking game therefore we can have shit games that look amazing. Whereas before most games looked shit so the game had to be good.

So we can get a game which looks amazing but is actually shit eg.. far cry 2. Which wasnt that bad but still u get my point.

You can get a game look like amazing art or real life graphics but plays crap and its still sellable based on its appearance.

Back in the day games could not do this. NO game was good looking enough to sell based only on cosmetics.

Last edited:
GTA 5 this year?!?!

Hell yeah im looking forward to that

Same as a few here i aint got a clue what's coming out this year apart from UFC and Fifa

Mass Effect 3... it's out in March, can't wait.

Otherwise I am not sure,

Assassins Creed III for sure, and maybe the likes of The Last of Us if out this year with Halo 4, Bioshock Infinite looks interesting.

Oh and like some others the new SSX looks interesting, loved SSX Tricky.

Yeah that's true, although I thought the last Aliens v Predator game wasn't too bad.

I think if they make it tie in with the Aliens film in some way and have it work round some story based mission, then it could be a good one.

FD

FIFA13. Really looking forward to the new Career Mode, they've got a solid base to build on from FIFA12.

And Mass Effect 3, can't wait to see how the story unfolds from Mass Effect 2.

Gaming is fucking dire these days. Sure, there are still some great games out there but equally too many dumbed down, simplistic games that appeal to the lowest common denominators in society. There are too many fps games and not enough strategy games that place intelligence and strategy over dexterity with a controller.

Perhaps I'm getting old and grumpy but games used to be varied, imaginative, creative and challenging. I'm sick of the same old genres these days and the tendency of games to hand-hold the player from start to finish. The trouble is games have such huge development and licensing costs these days that no developer is prepared to take risks. Everything has to have mass-market appeal.

/rant.

Totally agree with everything you said. Games are really different nowadays. I thought I might be getting old but when I tried playing some older games from the NES and SNES, I was instantly hooked and went for hours without noticing! Many games these days do not do that to me. I barely play a few minutes and feel like switching off. All looks no substance.

Maybe with next-gen we'll have more substance again, since most of the face-lift has been done this gen.

In the "old days" there was only offline singleplayer/multiplayer to worry about. Now there are online modes, so it's only natural that with half (approximation) the focus taken away from offline, that experience would suffer. Especially for games that come out annually and whatever can be implemented is implemented.

Remove the time and cost that a company would spend on online features and put it towards offline and I'm sure the improvements that take two years could be implemented in one year. So many games now are trying to be everything to everyone.

I dunno whats up I thought maybe cause Im older?

I mean are mafia 2, mass effect 2, Deus Ex HR etc...worse than Donkey kong country, Super star wars, super mario bros?

Prob not IMO...though snes type games were more pick up and play simplistic but without leading you through it. WHereas new games are designed complex that they end up telling you what to do the whole game so that dumb people can play it etc..lol

Are MGS4, Re5, GTA4, Crysis 2,far cry2, MW3, PEs 2012 worse than MG1,2,3, RE1-4, GTA3series, Crysis 1,far cry,cod, MW1, PEs3.

The answer is YES!!

Therefore it seems to me in mid-late 2000 games have gone downhill in general, despite a few crackers,,,,,but why?

Perhaps oen reason was the attempt to recreate realism in games GTA4 vs GTA3 Vs sonic the hedghog...see a pattern? Whislt GA3 was a realistic type game it still retained comic and video game fun elements..GTA4 not really. Same can be said for Mafia 2, but so was mafia 1 and that was a good game....Overall a lot of time is spent on presentation of the games and features and modes etc..it seems? Rather than back in day just a core game.

Even 2000-2005ish I was still gaming hardcore, max payne 2, pes5, far cry, crysis, half life 2 etc....

After PS3 and xbox 360 it seemed that no games were PC exclusive as they made games for all platfroms perhpas this took away some off the magical pc games from before era....But what about in general?

I seemed more hooked on many ps2 games at the time but PS3 games are techainaly and visually much better and many are enjoyable but for me just didnt do it, which I thought was maybe age.

But some crackers

Dead space series
Infamous
Uncharted
Batman
Mass effect 2

THen there was RDR, assasins creeds etc not bad also.

I dunno whats up with either gaming or me?

I remember you used to get games like broken sword and stuff as well you never seem to get games like that these days?

Last edited:
Not us mate. Must be the game-makers ;)

I think it's like Calabrese said, with more focus going into online, the offline side of things hasn't received the same old love.

And I'm not sure what to anticipate anymore. I'm more looking forward to what next-gen brings.

IMO the better graphics have more disadvantages than advantages. With hyper-realistic graphics, more and more games go for the "realistic" approach. If you want to have (so-called) hyper-realistic games, you need better stories.
IMO there is no need for a PS4 and an Xbox 720. Sony, microsoft and other developers should invest in imaginative people. Bring back over the top games or invest in people who have the ability to tell good stories.
But like all cultural products, the day gaming became big business the quality went downhill. All these endless franchises...they are boring. It's more of the same...why do we need every year a new PES or FIFA...give us a DLC with new teams and rosters and build a good game every 3 years...
Do we really need the 100.000th shooter that claims to be hyper-realistic (and where an health-pack is stronger than 3 bullets)? This year or next year there will be the much anticipated GTA, no matter how big, better and more spectacular this game will be...it will never have the magical impact of the first (or third) GTA game.

The game i'm really looking forward to is the reboot of SSX, because SSX Tricky and SSX 3 were pure over the top fun. Now we will get a bigger, better and more spectacular reboot. I'm pretty sure i will enjoy this game, but i'm also pretty sure that it will lack the magic of those older games...

Maybe we are spoiled and there are simply too many big budget games. The fact that developing games is complex and expensive has one big disadvantage: there is no big and easy reachable indie-scene. In music you can easily download music from small scale indie-bands or you can buy their CD's...In games it is more difficult to consume games from independent small scale and very often original developers...

Games are like movies, the best movies are not made in Hollywood, the are made by small scale independent film makers. The game industry is too young to have a big platform for independent game developers...Independent moviemakers put pressure on the big budget companies, so the movie industry (slowly) revolutionizes. This happens far less in the game industry because the independent developers lack the means to put pressure on the big companies.

Conclusion: the traditional industry needs more and better stories, and the independent developers need better access to the main stream gamer (or vice versa).

Big like for all that Gerd.

About indie devs, I'm not quite sure but I've heard they have the ability to code for the PS Vita. I might be wrong though.

Both Microsoft and Playstation have indie games on X-Box live and PSN, but that is too litle too few (and too late?).

Back
Top Bottom