Most anticipated game in 2012

IMO the better graphics have more disadvantages than advantages. With hyper-realistic graphics, more and more games go for the "realistic" approach. If you want to have (so-called) hyper-realistic games, you need better stories.
IMO there is no need for a PS4 and an Xbox 720. Sony, microsoft and other developers should invest in imaginative people. Bring back over the top games or invest in people who have the ability to tell good stories.
But like all cultural products, the day gaming became big business the quality went downhill. All these endless franchises...they are boring. It's more of the same...why do we need every year a new PES or FIFA...give us a DLC with new teams and rosters and build a good game every 3 years...
Do we really need the 100.000th shooter that claims to be hyper-realistic (and where an health-pack is stronger than 3 bullets)? This year or next year there will be the much anticipated GTA, no matter how big, better and more spectacular this game will be...it will never have the magical impact of the first (or third) GTA game.

The game i'm really looking forward to is the reboot of SSX, because SSX Tricky and SSX 3 were pure over the top fun. Now we will get a bigger, better and more spectacular reboot. I'm pretty sure i will enjoy this game, but i'm also pretty sure that it will lack the magic of those older games...

Maybe we are spoiled and there are simply too many big budget games. The fact that developing games is complex and expensive has one big disadvantage: there is no big and easy reachable indie-scene. In music you can easily download music from small scale indie-bands or you can buy their CD's...In games it is more difficult to consume games from independent small scale and very often original developers...

Games are like movies, the best movies are not made in Hollywood, the are made by small scale independent film makers. The game industry is too young to have a big platform for independent game developers...Independent moviemakers put pressure on the big budget companies, so the movie industry (slowly) revolutionizes. This happens far less in the game industry because the independent developers lack the means to put pressure on the big companies.

Conclusion: the traditional industry needs more and better stories, and the independent developers need better access to the main stream gamer (or vice versa).

maybe the reason we wont enjoy these new games like we did beore is because

1. They are sequels x x amount of times
2. THey are not original

GTA3 was original and new concept
Vice City gave a new eciting flavour to it
San ANdreas expaded and new flavour also

GTA4 was GTA3 but less fun and better gfx
GTA5 will be GTA SA but better gfx

Why will we enjoy a replicated product

MW1 was amazing
MW2 was good single player but multiplayer same as MW1
MW3 was same again and now boring and worse mo maps.

TOo many sequels and similar games.

Why was Assaisns creed 2 so good? It was kinda new concept.
Batman? New concept
Infamous? New concept
Dead Space? Kinda new concept, well simialr to old RE and DIno cirsi type games but still very original in many ways.

TO many games are replicates of other games or sequals....the same games with different skins.

MEtro, Red faction, MOh, COd, Singularity, crysis 2...all same shit with different skins..

Gta4, saints row, RDR, just cause, saboteur, again all same gams with differnet skins.

If the games are still good i have no problem enjoying them like metal gear solid, gta, uncharted, god of war etc.

for example i like all gta games and i don't think one of those is boring or bad etc. this kind of sandbox games are great for me. and i really like rdr - it's very similar to gta, but with a fresh new setting.

and of course with every generation of concoles there will be the same games which much better graphics, but i don't care if the games are good.

gta4 is not just gta3 with better graphics. i liked it very much and not one gta before had such detailed and strong characters like gta4 had.

but i have to admit, that there are only few brand new ideas and concepts for games. which is really sad, because i like also games like infamous. those games are really entertaining.
nevertheless it's also nice to see some concepts which last over decades, because they are still great.

I'm old, and I can play Fifa for a whole day without getting bored, I can play Skyrim for a whole day without getting bored, so I don't think it's the games at all, more likely the gamers ;)

If Skyrim wasn't such a missed opportunity with its atmosphere and combat I wouldn't have been bored with it after a full day's play either. As it is, I did complete it and I did manage to check out quite a lot of the caves and ruins, so it's not as if I'm saying it was bad. Just that it could have been a lot better, but it doesn't have to because the entry level for 'epic' or 'immersive' games is infinitely lower than for films or music.

Oh, and having a fuckload of books full of shit mythology is not attention to detail. That aspect of RPGs really pisses me off actually.

I think there have been some really great original games coming from the xbox live & PSN, that seems to be the biggest avenue of creativity at the moment. Games like REZ, Bastion and Limbo are cheaper, fun, and mostly original.

I've got no problem with less original games though, I do sigh when I see another military FPS but if they're done well (like Bad Company 2) then they're still awesome fun.

I don't think the industry has ever been particularly original through. It's the odd game that makes a breakthrough in originality, something like Portal, that comes around once in a while. Even back in the days of the SNES all we had were platform clones because that was the big thing back then. Now it's ten a penny military shooters.

I can't think of a massive amount of titles actually that are coming out this year now. GTA I think has been delayed, Last Guardian, which was my number one title I was looking out for, is rumoured to be canned. Add to that, PES sounds like it'll be shit this year, and there's no Bad Company 3 coming out this year (not that I'm aware), then that probably leaves Bioshock Infinite as my top title I'm looking forward to.

In the "old days" there was only offline singleplayer/multiplayer to worry about. Now there are online modes, so it's only natural that with half (approximation) the focus taken away from offline, that experience would suffer. Especially for games that come out annually and whatever can be implemented is implemented.

Remove the time and cost that a company would spend on online features and put it towards offline and I'm sure the improvements that take two years could be implemented in one year. So many games now are trying to be everything to everyone.

Therefore it seems to me in mid-late 2000 games have gone downhill in general, despite a few crackers,,,,,but why?

I think it's like Calabrese said, with more focus going into online, the offline side of things hasn't received the same old love.

Online gaming is a major factor. The release of the Xbox360 really signalled the rise of online gaming and at about the same time console games started to take a nose dive (in my opinion) in terms of the single player experience. Developers must love online gaming because they don't have to create lengthy single player modes to keep people playing. They don't have to worry about AI so much, which can be seen in games like Forza, Gran Turismo, Fifa etc.....because the devs know that the majority of players spend most of their time online these days.

It's sad in a way. If I think back to all of my greatest gaming memories and experiences, very few of them are online. I can think of my master league experiences in PES, playing Vice City and San Andreas, and in the Amiga days all the great races on Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix, the hundreds of hours and memorable seasons on Premier Manager, playing Settlers, Populous, Syndicate, Frontier: Elite II.....I could go on.

The death of local multi-player gaming is also very sad. Playing four player PES and ISS down the years on the SNES, PS1 and PS2 with a multitap and a bunch of mates were some of the best times when I was at school and we used to carry on doing this even into our twenties.

It's a shame, but things change and I hope that the next gen brings a bit more soul and character to gaming. This gen has been all about developing online modes and pushing graphics, with not so much going on at the base level. Having said that, there are still some great single player experiences to be found like the GTA franchise, Red Dead Redemption, Saints Row and RPGs like Fallout, Skyrim etc.

LTFC - where did you hear that rumour about The Last Guardian? I've not heard anything credible that it was. I know Ueda is leaving Sony but sticking around until it's done.

To date, SSX is my most anticipated game.

To date, SSX is my most anticipated game.

Mine too tobi...

Here is a link to the official website of the game, with lots of good video's:

http://www.ea.com/ssx

I've also come across the evo-web of the ssx fanatics, it's a site called merqury city and for all these years there was no game, they kept on going through...they still play the PS2 games. It's a wonderfull (laidback) community...They are really diehards that are analyzing every single shrap of information and share it, there is even a podcast about the game (next episode will be an interview with the producer of the game, Todd Batty). Here is a link to that site:

http://www.merqurycity.com/

I've missed those games enormously, and i'm really looking forward to the new game which looks both awesome and immense. You should pre-order the game, then you get an extra mountain (MT Fuji) and an extra character (the very popular Eddie Wachowski).

I've got it pre ordered, Autolog will be fun.

I will send you a friend request, so that we can play againsteach other's ghosts...don't worry...as in most video games i'm shit at it...but i like it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom