Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain

Just watched some gameplay footage. Everything was looking great until I saw that pathetic 'Fulton Recovery System' will be on this game. Exactly as seen on the arcadey 'Peacewalker' for the PSP. Incredibly enough!

Massive let down for me, guys.
Seems they just want to wow us with outstanding next-gen 1080p graphics, but the gameplay itself seems to have been tweaked to cater to casual gamers rather than the hardcore fans who wanted a rewarding experience for stealth play.
Hell, there's even a Max Payne-like bullet time/slow down effect when you get detected by an enemy, giving you the chance to take him out before sounding the alarm.

Totally agree. The Fulton thing combined with the ridiculous cardboard box thing and AI that does not look like its advanced since the PS1 game make this the first MGS game I have not bought.

Totally agreed, the AI gets dumber and dumber while gameplay looks more swallow. MGS4 was the worse in the series by far in all aspects except graphics, and it seems the phantom pain follows this path. I think Kojima is a prisoner of himself.

Ground Zeroes added 0 hype to MGS5 in my case, when I could finally play it I found it totally shallow and the AI stupid as in the PS1 days, as the gentleman says. A pitty.

Just watched some gameplay footage. Everything was looking great until I saw that pathetic 'Fulton Recovery System' will be on this game. Exactly as seen on the arcadey 'Peacewalker' for the PSP. Incredibly enough!

I just don't get it. You get a franchise that has been for some time (apart from the boss fights) an excellent simulation of military combat and stealth infiltration which now alows you to send enemies (and vehicles!) hanging onto baloons for a helicopter pickup right from inside an enemy base, right under their soldiers noses! No one will hear the helicopter or see a freaking jeep being lifted off a stupid baloon.

Totally agree. The Fulton thing combined with the ridiculous cardboard box thing and AI that does not look like its advanced since the PS1 game make this the first MGS game I have not bought.

Just so you know, the Fulton Recovery System isn't some stupid gimmick invented by Kojima, it actually exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

Just so you know, the Fulton Recovery System isn't some stupid gimmick invented by Kojima, it actually exists.

I figured as much. I've seen it in a film or two.

My main gripe with the way it gets used in MGS is how the balloon and the helicopter (or plane for that matter) go unnoticed by enemies.

The least they could do is make it in such a way that we could only use Fulton after the area is secured and no enemies around.

When I played Peacewalker I let is slide, since it is an arcadey PSP game anyway.
But I was totally not expecting to see it used in the same way in the next-gen MGS. Not only that, it seems they took it further: as I said, you can lift off vehicles with that balloon! Lifting a crate or a person is one thing, but a 2-ton vehicle??

Yeah I know its real mate, its not the system I have a problem with its the use of it in the game which as Rentboy says is stupid how no one notices it.

After seeing the original trailer for the game it was a day one purchase. The AI in the demo made me wary, then the gameplay footage with the Fulton made me question buying the game. Now that I have seen what you can do with the cardboard box and that your horse poops will make a jeep spin out and incapacitate its passengers I have no desire to even play the game. I know MGS has always been a little eccentric but when these eccentricities counter what the game is(or was) all about then something is wrong.

Just got a 10 on IGN..

I might actually give this a go now, depending on other reviews, but PC version can be bought for about £20 for a Steam key

Hmmm getting helicopters to lift people and vehicles?

Very stealthy

I liked the "demo" but shit like that looks wank.

Can't wait for this and the ign review is music to my ears..what with this and pes hitting the high notes this year,you can't say konami aren't outputting some serious quality again..my ps4 waits with bated breath!

Not so much the game score but the depth of the gameplay and intelligent layers..I always take what ign generally state with a grain of salt but there's no denying the reviewer knows his subject matter..also talking up the focus on the sandbox gameplay over cinematics and story..

Like snake Ive aged too..it's been a long journey for me I've aged just like the original Nes game..

anyone know of a good deal or best place to buy CD key for the game. Best I found was acheterclecd 32 euro but never used them before. Have used CD keys but they looking for 38 euro

anyone know of a good deal or best place to buy CD key for the game. Best I found was acheterclecd 32 euro but never used them before. Have used CD keys but they looking for 38 euro

I bought it on eBay for £16.

There are loads of people selling the Nvidia keys.

Never really played a MGS game, I'm guessing it's really not worth getting this?

:DDD

btw just play Metal Gear Snake Eater. thats the first in the timeline and this is the second one (well not really there is Ground Zeros and Peacewalker and Portable Ops but those games arent add anything really). and yeah Snake Eater is the best imo, just have a different vibe and it still looks dope even if you arent getting the HD version for PS3

Never really played a MGS game, I'm guessing it's really not worth getting this?
The storyline throughout the series is, to understate it somewhat, FUCKING MENTAL. I hoped it would get more coherent, and it's bad enough that you've got clones of people who are supposed to be entirely different characters, but when I got up to some bad guy who had octopus-style arms on his back (MGS4 I think), I stopped playing.

If you're like me and you need a half-decent story to enjoy something, don't bother. (Just my opinion...)

MGS 1 and 2 were great, but then they started doing prequels and going totally off the rails. To my mind, they took great graphics / game mechanics and wrapped it in a story nobody could really understand without reading a small book, and totally outside the realms of possibility and reality.

But people really love it, so who am I to judge...

Last edited:
Not really a pre-requisite to no the story and metal gear has become a very different game now..more western.

So many games promise a less linear experience yet rarely deliver a true sandbox experience..

I will reserve judgement until release but everything I've read and the long 5 year gestation development period does seem to point a to a game that offers a next generational experience and works on many levels.

You can't deny the calibre of the producer or the production values.

Don't get put off by the storyline/plot. I played and loved MGS on the original PlayStation One but then never went near it again until MGS: Ground Zeroes on the PS4.

I watched this guy's YouTube videos which explains the entire plot. They are well worth watching, very interesting and easy to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778Sr8ePnWc&list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

:DDD

btw just play Metal Gear Snake Eater. thats the first in the timeline and this is the second one (well not really there is Ground Zeros and Peacewalker and Portable Ops but those games arent add anything really). and yeah Snake Eater is the best imo, just have a different vibe and it still looks dope even if you arent getting the HD version for PS3

Totally agreed, that was the pinnacle of the series.

Back
Top Bottom