Manchester City Thread

Swansea were the toughest opponent you faced, they threatened you in a way no other team did.
Didn't watch the cup game but I think this is the first time Pep changes the formation, I mean tactics. This time Sagna was more of a classic RB while Kolarov was closer to a 3rd CB. Instead of the multi role they were doing (SB when defending + CM when attacking). Maybe playing Gundogan who is different than Kevin (who this time played as a real AMF) forced this change. You did good but you found too much difficulties with Swansea.

Swansea were the toughest opponent you faced, they threatened you in a way no other team did.
Didn't watch the cup game but I think this is the first time Pep changes the formation, I mean tactics. This time Sagna was more of a classic RB while Kolarov was closer to a 3rd CB. Instead of the multi role they were doing (SB when defending + CM when attacking). Maybe playing Gundogan who is different than Kevin (who this time played as a real AMF) forced this change. You did good but you found too much difficulties with Swansea.

It's not really a change of tactics, just a different positional structure - the core style remains the same. All credit to swansea though, they pressed well particularly when forcing Bravo to his weak foot. At least City should get a bit of a relaxing game vs Celtic.

It's not really a change of tactics, just a different positional structure - the core style remains the same. All credit to swansea though, they pressed well particularly when forcing Bravo to his weak foot. At least City should get a bit of a relaxing game vs Celtic.

Yep relaxing indeed, lol.

Great game to watch.

Not a fan of Sterling but he ain't half stepped up to the plate this season, was excellent last night.

Yep relaxing indeed, lol.

Great game to watch.

Not a fan of Sterling but he ain't half stepped up to the plate this season, was excellent last night.

I realise in hindsight I've definitely jinxed them there.

Awfully fun though, you're right. Sterling has developed nicely, I still think his decision making can be slow at times but he's dynamite if you put him 1v1 with a defender.

Disappointing result on the face of it. We didn't play well, esp. our fullbacks were poor (don't think we'll see a proper Pep team in tough games until both are replaced). Surprised Silva got moved out wide as he was dictating the game at that point. Gundogan doesn't look match fit yet.

With that said, Celtic's record at home in the CL is something like 3 losses in 24 so maybe a draw is an ok result. The goals we conceded tho (one offside, one big deflection and a fuckup by Kolarov) suggests to me that Gladbach & Barca will likely win there if they get more luck/defend better. Sometimes you make your own luck/force errors tho and last night Celtic's performance/bravery was probably an example of that. Hope they can beat Barca and get a draw vs Gladbach (so long as we beat them at ours!).

Credit to Celtic for the performance and even moreso to the fans. Amazing atmosphere, surpasses anything you see in England!

Sunday can't come quick enough. City vs Spurs has been circled on my calendar since the season began. Spurs (and Liverpool) are the teams that are going to cause the most problems for City this year. As much as I love Pep I think City are going to lose this one 2-1.

I'm a Spurs fan and i you look at both squads, then City should never loose this match.
A draw would be fantastic, but i'm afraid we might get a beating.

We're Lucky Kevin is unjured.Hope Dembele can play, he is so important for Spurs.

I'm a Spurs fan and i you look at both squads, then City should never loose this match.
A draw would be fantastic, but i'm afraid we might get a beating.

We're Lucky Kevin is unjured.Hope Dembele can play, he is so important for Spurs.

City have looked very uncomfortable when up against teams using aggressive pressing schemes against them. Their positional play is still in its infancy and with Spurs being a supremely good pressing side there's going to be some fantastic football on display.

If you (Spurs) can press as well as Swansea and Celtic did over the last two games then you'll have plenty of chances to do some serious damage. I'd also agree with you on Dembele, he really drives through the midfield and Spurs always look lacklustre when he's missing.

Not sure what team we'll go with. I think Fernando might start as I can't see Silva and Gundogan playing 3/4 games in 8 days given they're only just back from injury, esp. Gundogan, who doesn't look match fit yet anyway.

Predicting:
Sterling Aguero Navas
Silva Dinho
Clichy Fernando Sagna
Otamendi Stones
Bravo

Not sure I like the idea of Fernando playing tho as his passing can be pretty bad, not ideal with Spurs' pressing game​

If we get beat we get beat, I just hope this time a linesman turns up

Last edited:
Ottamendi and Fernando are not good enough for City.
This team (with KDB) is perhaps good enough to win the EPL, but certainly not for the CL.

Rather simple win for Spurs, that was a surprise to me. I would have been happy with a draw, but this is even better.

If you look at the intensity and the energy with wich Spurs are playing one might ask how they gonna be in april and may, they could well be exhausted.

Not sure if City missed Kevin today, the way their backs played, the ball would never have reached him. Of the ones who played today, only Stones seems good enough.

Pretty even game. Only difference was that Spurs went into challenges like they meant it whereas we were soft

Shot ourselves in the foot with a laughable OG.

Still top of the league. We go on.

That was not an even game. You were second best dring most of the match...
In the long term you will turn out to be the better team, but not in this match...

Easy to say that given the end result but neither side dominated the actual play. Our tackling was inferior but other than that it was much of a muchness. We missed our few chances, Spurs took one of their few chances.

Let's not try and sugar coat what was an awful performance from City and a dominant display from Spurs. It's like what I was saying to gerd before the game: Spurs have all the tools to really punish city and they did. They executed their gameplay perfectly and reduced City to a level of incompetence similar to the Celtic game. Except this time Spurs kept it going for the full 90.

As soon as I saw Fernando in the starting XI I knew the game wasn't going to go well for City. He's not intelligent or technically good enough to play the role of a pivot. I had hoped Pep might be brave and play one of the younger players he has at his disposal alongside Silva in midfield so that Fernandinho could remain in his pivot role. Alas, it wasn't to be!

Make no mistake though, Spurs are the real deal. I really hoped they'd kick on from last season and it appears they have done. 7 games unbeaten at the start of the season in such a competitive league is testament to Pochettino's work. Harry who?

Was like a FIFA game, cannot fathom the energy levels those two teams put out. Also don't think that's sustainable across a long season with other comps.

City are still going to win the league. Spurs seem to have their number a bit, but I can't see any other teams being able to play like that against Pep's team. Leagues are won with routine victories against Stoke at home, not top of table clashes.

Let's not try and sugar coat what was an awful performance from City and a dominant display from Spurs. It's like what I was saying to gerd before the game: Spurs have all the tools to really punish city and they did. They executed their gameplay perfectly and reduced City to a level of incompetence similar to the Celtic game. Except this time Spurs kept it going for the full 90.

As soon as I saw Fernando in the starting XI I knew the game wasn't going to go well for City. He's not intelligent or technically good enough to play the role of a pivot. I had hoped Pep might be brave and play one of the younger players he has at his disposal alongside Silva in midfield so that Fernandinho could remain in his pivot role. Alas, it wasn't to be!

Make no mistake though, Spurs are the real deal. I really hoped they'd kick on from last season and it appears they have done. 7 games unbeaten at the start of the season in such a competitive league is testament to Pochettino's work. Harry who?

That's going over the top.
We created the chances to win the game nevermind draw - Silva, Iheanacho and 2 or 3 with Aguero. Spurs did well in not letting us boss the game but it was far too hectic and end to end to use words like "dominant". That's just hyperbole
Unlike last season I can't complain at the result, Spurs tackled well and scored a goal, 2 things we didn't do, and Spurs away is always a tough place to go so getting beat can happen to anyone.

That's going over the top.
We created the chances to win the game nevermind draw - Silva, Iheanacho and 2 or 3 with Aguero. Spurs did well in not letting us boss the game but it was far too hectic and end to end to use words like "dominant". That's just hyperbole
Unlike last season I can't complain at the result, Spurs tackled well and scored a goal, 2 things we didn't do, and Spurs away is always a tough place to go so getting beat can happen to anyone.

It's not hyperbole, really. Pep hates being in transition and seeks to avoid this "state" in the game. This is why his teams always press immediately after losing the ball - to stop the other team being able to counter attack and to immediately get his team being proactive in defense rather than all running back to get into shape and concede space to the opposition.

Spurs forced the game to be played at a hectic end to end pace full of transitions and counter attacks with very little sustained possession for either team. So Spurs played the game according to how they wanted to play it and set the tone for the whole game, that's dominating to me. If it were as even as you say City would have had much greater spells of sustained possession and pressure, which they didn't.

Well godot, it seems that Pep does not agree with you...

He's very modest

It's not hyperbole, really. Pep hates being in transition and seeks to avoid this "state" in the game. This is why his teams always press immediately after losing the ball - to stop the other team being able to counter attack and to immediately get his team being proactive in defense rather than all running back to get into shape and concede space to the opposition.

Spurs forced the game to be played at a hectic end to end pace full of transitions and counter attacks with very little sustained possession for either team. So Spurs played the game according to how they wanted to play it and set the tone for the whole game, that's dominating to me. If it were as even as you say City would have had much greater spells of sustained possession and pressure, which they didn't.

Describing not allowing the opposition to boss the game as 'dominant' is like putting the key in the ignition and saying you're driving. You have to at least turn the key. I don't believe that Spurs' gameplan didn't include sustained pressure of their own.

Describing not allowing the opposition to boss the game as 'dominant' is like putting the key in the ignition and saying you're driving. You have to at least turn the key. I don't believe that Spurs' gameplan didn't include sustained pressure of their own.

If you dictate the condition the game is played in and win the game, that is domination no?

I think the main plan for Spurs, like Pep said, was to access Son as quickly as possible to not allow City the opportunity to use their counter pressing and bypass their initial lines of pressure.

Can we re-sign Mario please? We have no penalty takers! :(

Today makes it 5 pens our players have missed this season already :LOL:

Other than that, a really good performance from us today. Stekelenburg had a blinder. One of his saves from KDB was even better than his 2 pen saves...

Fuck it, balls out tonight Pep

CvHZ6gAWcAAQQjg.jpg

Barca will probably beat us anyway so let's make it a match to remember​

Bravo :DOH: 1st major fuck up and he had to do it against his former team :(

Very frustrating because I thought we were probably the better side until then.

Looks like were gonna have to beat Gladbach away

I can't believe this is the same City we saw in the start of this season, what the actual fuck? Is this the same team with the amazing tactics of Guardiola? first 3 goals were dumb individual mistakes (i.e : gifts).

Back
Top Bottom