Make the single player experience playable

Haven't been able to touch the controller for a week since posting, hoping to have time tonight. Will do the whole EPL as best I can, am stoked this might be working!

(and banging my head on the desk as to why EA wouldn't use their own damn engine to good effect!)

We will have to see how this effects results in MM, after all it might f#$k them up somehow as the settings are pretty extreme, but having seen the AI matches they look pretty accurate to me.

Maybe the answer is to simply sim half a season and see how it affects things, purpose choosing a somewhat benign team for yourself so it shouldn't impact too much on the top or bottom, perhaps an in between team like Wigan or something in the Prem?

Just played a game as Arsenal against Bolton with their new custom tactics posted by Tik. It was the most enjoyable game for me so far in Fifa 10. It just felt so accurate. Can't wait to play MM in the prem with all the teams edited like this.

This is from Bluechampion:

custom-tactics.jpg

This will be ok for Fifa10 ?

What's everyone doing for lower league teams I had a tweak but they all ended up being far too defensive...

@ Robbery, used your settings as a base (for bolton), however due to the buildup speed being really low they would mostly lose the ball in their own half trying to keep possesion. So I bumped it up to 70 and they basicly tried to attack with 3 or 4 guys with a combination of longballs and some quick 1-2's on the wing with a cross. Found this great as it was typical bolton (as Ive described in the previous post) as they kept 7,8 guys in their own half and would really double up and be aggressive in the tackles.

To be honest i have no idea about bolton and how they play. I guess you would have the same problem with mainz05 :D

But i play 4 games to test your tactic and i really like what you have done here. Comparing your tactic with the tactic of my defense-minded-team your team plays way faster and a lot better offensively. My Team is more of a "running with the ball" team.

I'm going to use your tactic for some teams in the Bundesliga. Not for the weakest teams, cause i think the weakest teams in the Bundesliga are more kind of a "running with the ball" teams. But your tactic fit perfectly for teams around 10-15 place. They still play defense-minded but faster an always very good on the counter attack with a mix between 1-2'sm longballs and crosses. I really think it fit perfect. :))

I'm looking forward to your Arsenal tatic. Going to test it later this evening.

Tnx guys, glad you liked them. Was impressed with how effective they were tbh.

@ Nick,

I think you might be able to use the same tactics (ars, villa, bolton,etc) for the different teams however their stats should then determine how effective they are, so WBA will get torn apart in the prem as they try to play football, yet they are effective in the championship with the same tactic. I think that's how you would need to do it, as otherwise they end up being mroe generic again. Basicly you should look at how they perform in their respective leagues and do it that way. That will mess it up in cup matches, Im assuming anyway, as that would mean Bolton would sit back yet Cardiff would be attacking (or whoever, I have no idea about lower leagues). I don't think the team ratings effect how they play (which is pretty stupid), but we can test it out. Give a 3rd div team an arsenal tactic and AI-AI friendly them against Bolton and see how it pans out.

Last edited:
Tnx guys, glad you liked them. Was impressed with how effective they were tbh.

@ Nick,

I think you might be able to use the same tactics (ars, villa, bolton,etc) for the different teams however their stats should then determine how effective they are, so WBA will get torn apart in the prem as they try to play football, yet they are effective in the championship with the same tactic. I think that's how you would need to do it, as otherwise they end up being mroe generic again. Basicly you should look at how they perform in their respective leagues and do it that way. That will mess it up in cup matches, Im assuming anyway, as that would mean Bolton would sit back yet Cardiff would be attacking (or whoever, I have no idea about lower leagues). I don't think the team ratings effect how they play (which is pretty stupid), but we can test it out. Give a 3rd div team an arsenal tactic and AI-AI friendly them against Bolton and see how it pans out.

:THINK: Yeah I may try that next time I'm on...

I tried some extreme Arsenal and Bolton tactics last night - didn't check it with your stats, Tiktiktik, just made up something where Arsenal played very short passing, very slow build up, very risky passing, high shooting stat, Bolton very long passing, very fast build up, very high crossing and shooting and let it go AIvAI on Legendary.

Arsenal were incredible to watch. They got 4-0 up in 30 mins (just 5 mins per half) but were playing with such imagination and creativity, pulling Bolton all over the place. Really impressed with the AI in action here. So much variety and ingenuity.

It ended up 4-0, largely because EA have clearly scripted it so that if one team is winning by a large margin in the 1st half, they reduce by far that teams probablity of scoring in the 2nd half, so despite Arsenal creating a plenty more guilt-edged chances, they all went "just past the post".

The game is almost more fun to watch than to actually play.

Done another 3 today; Chelsea, Mancity and Manu.

Chelsea - Slow&Possesion
40/40/O-50/80/90/O-10/75/80/C
Formation 4-4-2 edit: Deep CB's, Diamond midfield with both sidemidfielder narrow, Anelka top corner of the penaltyarea

ManCity - Counter&Flair
80/60/FF-70/50/90/FF-20/70/30/C
Formation 4-4-2 edit: Deep CB's, Narrow RB, Barry bottom of the centre circle, Ireland rightside of circle, SWP wide, Robinho narrow, Tevez SS for Ade

ManU - Balanced&Wingattack
70/40/O-30/70/95/O-40/70/80/C
Formation 4-5-1 edit; Defense in one line with WB's as far wide as possible, CM's on both sides of circle on HW-line, wingers as far wide as possible, Rooney behind Berbatov as CAM

Played a number of matches;
Mancity play for the counter and when they have hte ball the front 4 really work together to create chances, Barry/Ireland spread the play.

ManU, really balanced team. Don't mind conceding possesion and playing deep but they never really give much away. When they have hte ball they are calm, keep possesion and work the oppo. defense for a chance. Put a lot of crosses in, but also Fletcher/Carrick take turns supporting the attack when either Rooney or Berba go wide. Also dangerous on the counter.

Chelsea, not sure about this one yet, although it may just depend on chelsea's style tbh. They are slow and keep possesion well but really lack teh movement/intricacy of arsenal. Deep defense and midfield that doesnt give much away either. So basicly; Boring but with Anelke, Drogba and Lampard in the team they always manage to create something and be dangerous.

For Chelsea, remember they play a very narrow game and usually try to bust through the center. The width will mostly be provided by Cole and Bosingwa so setting both as WB will definitely be necessary. They can also move the ball up the pitch quite quickly, so maybe buildup speed needs to be changed too. The diamond midfield has become quite effective with Essien also joining the attack while the whole team is moving forward.

Last edited:
I tried some extreme Arsenal and Bolton tactics last night - didn't check it with your stats, Tiktiktik, just made up something where Arsenal played very short passing, very slow build up, very risky passing, high shooting stat, Bolton very long passing, very fast build up, very high crossing and shooting and let it go AIvAI on Legendary.

Arsenal were incredible to watch. They got 4-0 up in 30 mins (just 5 mins per half) but were playing with such imagination and creativity, pulling Bolton all over the place. Really impressed with the AI in action here. So much variety and ingenuity.

It ended up 4-0, largely because EA have clearly scripted it so that if one team is winning by a large margin in the 1st half, they reduce by far that teams probablity of scoring in the 2nd half, so despite Arsenal creating a plenty more guilt-edged chances, they all went "just past the post".

The game is almost more fun to watch than to actually play.
Apart from that... ;)

For Chelsea, remember they play a very narrow game and usually try to bust through the center. The width will mostly be provided by Cole and Bosingwa so setting both as WB will definitely be necessary. They can also move the ball up the pitch quite quickly, so maybe buildup speed needs to be changed too. The diamond midfield has become quite effective with Essien also joining the attack while the whole team is moving forward.

Yeah it definitly needs some tweaking, however the problem is that you can only set-up one tactic. So I set them up for the majority of league matches. In that regard, Chelsea are a lot like Liverpool, slow with a lot of passing at the back and organised positioning for the attack. If you bump their attacking speed up you end up having them lose possesion alot when really they don't. The team still counters anyway if possible. The WB edit is needed, the team is narrow now, however the SB's don't come up often enough, so hopefully editing them to WB's will add that extra width. Atm Ballack tries to go wide but just isnt that kind of player. WIll give that a go tonight.

@TikTikTikTikTik

To busy for playing FIFA at the Moment and not able to test your new ones. But by experience from playing a lot with the sliders i think your aggression slider is to high.

In FIFA very good teams like Chelsea, ManU shouldn't double teaming you. In Real Life they surly sometimes put hard pressure on the ballhandler by double teaming. But in FIFA aggression slider 70-75 means they are going to double team you the hole time. From minute 1 to 90 in every single 1on1 situation.

For me, from my experience this is what makes this game so frustrating. Good teams are without a high aggression slider still very, very good in winning the ball in 1on1 situations (because players from very good teams are very fast, very strong, clever, have a great technic etc) . If you put the slider up to 70-75 they are a beast and you will not get a single second to think if you receive the ball from your teammate. You need to play it the ping pong way and no one likes to play it this way.

I think it is ok against weaker teams, cause you can still beat them in 1on1 situations (because players from bolton are not that fast, not that strong etc like players from ManU).

I'm going to test your tactics as soon as possible. But i guess it will be to hard for me this way.

I agree with you partly, however I think it's a balance between setting the defense deep and then the pressure / aggression high. Imo once you go into a teams half they will hound you and not give you any space, but they will leave you alone in your own half. Thats what happens with these settings, you can have your possesion till you pass the halfwayline and then they will start to pressure you.

Ive noticed in the AI-AI games that if I have the aggression/pressure low they don't actually win the ball back actively (tackles, blocks, etc), they just run along with you and wait till you missplace a pass / shot. To me that felt wrong as any DM/defender will try to win the ball 90% of the time depending on the location on the pitch. I mean you shouldnt be able to pass the ball around the area un-challenged (as that's what they effectively do) till you lose the ball.

However Ive only tried AI-AI matches so far so maybe it will change when I play against them myself.

EDIT,

Thinking about it, maybe it's the aggression that should be high but the pressure can be lower. Will test that out tonight aswell. So far I think Ive always linked them, so maybe that's why I associate the pressure with making them tackle. We will get there eventually. :D

Last edited:
Yes I have to say that single player on fifa 10 is nothing less than appalling. Ive had some fun games with friends, real tense finishes that i havent enjoyed for some time in a footy game, but when it comes to playing solo the experience is shoddy.

My biggest gripe is the defending, computer defenders are always immaculately position and always time their tackles to perfection, its impossible to sell them a dummy or send them the wrong way as you can with a human player. This makes it near impossible to roll off defenders with any CF ever which is just totally unrealistic, and makes most players with good dribble stats useless.

Secondly knowing that you cant roll off a CB you learn to keep your back to him but even so nine times out of ten theyll just power straight through you and if ur lucky ull get a free kick. So this leaves u with little choice but to play a first time pass, which just becomes boring once u get past the tidy animations. As a result the only realistic chance of scoring is a thru ball in behind or a 30 yard long shot, given also that crossing and heading is absolutely pathetic on this game.

The com players also seem to have greatly increased agility and closer control, and even the same animations used by cpu and humans appear noticeably faster when the player is com controlled.

Corners are also a massive waste of time, on the off chance that the attacker wins the header he will just tamely bounce it down to the ground with a trajectory that is comfortably wide of the goal. The keepers will also claim any ball close to the 6 yard box so u have to aim ur corners far from the 6 yard box to even have a chance of winning the header, and then wen u do actually win the header u find out that ur playing with a bunch of retards that have never headed a ball in their life.

These flaws are in fact so bad that i will not play manager mode (or at all) unless ny bro is around to control the opposition and give me a good honest game, which is such a shame because this game has the potential to be soo good.

@ Robbery,

You were correct, played some matches against the AI and they were hounding too much (atleast the likes of Chelsea and Manu). Lowered them to around 30/40 I think.

Yes I have to say that single player on fifa 10 is nothing less than appalling. Ive had some fun games with friends, real tense finishes that i havent enjoyed for some time in a footy game, but when it comes to playing solo the experience is shoddy.

My biggest gripe is the defending, computer defenders are always immaculately position and always time their tackles to perfection, its impossible to sell them a dummy or send them the wrong way as you can with a human player. This makes it near impossible to roll off defenders with any CF ever which is just totally unrealistic, and makes most players with good dribble stats useless.

Secondly knowing that you cant roll off a CB you learn to keep your back to him but even so nine times out of ten theyll just power straight through you and if ur lucky ull get a free kick. So this leaves u with little choice but to play a first time pass, which just becomes boring once u get past the tidy animations. As a result the only realistic chance of scoring is a thru ball in behind or a 30 yard long shot, given also that crossing and heading is absolutely pathetic on this game.

The com players also seem to have greatly increased agility and closer control, and even the same animations used by cpu and humans appear noticeably faster when the player is com controlled.

Corners are also a massive waste of time, on the off chance that the attacker wins the header he will just tamely bounce it down to the ground with a trajectory that is comfortably wide of the goal. The keepers will also claim any ball close to the 6 yard box so u have to aim ur corners far from the 6 yard box to even have a chance of winning the header, and then wen u do actually win the header u find out that ur playing with a bunch of retards that have never headed a ball in their life.

These flaws are in fact so bad that i will not play manager mode (or at all) unless ny bro is around to control the opposition and give me a good honest game, which is such a shame because this game has the potential to be soo good.

exactly what im experiencing. very disappointing.

x2 They're all Darren Brown, they know what your going to do before you do...:P :RANT:

found this elsewhere, kind of implies we could get one central file going...

Slowing the game down improves it no end. With this in mind i decided to slow the passing down aswell to reduce the ping pong passing.

Anyway it works very well.

I've uploaded the option file to megaupload if you fancy playing with it.

Basically it's Fifa10 with sprint speed/acceleration reduced by 20 points and short passing attribute reduced by 25-30. Slows the game down a lot. One other thing to do is go to custom tactics and reduce teams aggression and pressure as most are set at 70.

It sounds a bit drastic but it really improves the game imo. Here's the download link for the option file. Every team in the PL has lowered running speed, and City & Rags have lowered running speed + lowered short passing speed.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KWYWIHVF

Instructions

1. Load fifa 10 on your ps3 and create and save a new squad file. You can use your main one too but you will be overwriting it so it's better to create a new one.

2. Quit the game to go back to the ps3 dashboard. Go up to "Saved Data Utility" and find the squad file you just created. Make sure you have your usb drive plugged in and hit triangle, select "Copy", and select your usb drive as the destination.

3. After it copies, remove your usb drive and then hit triangle, select "Delete" to remove the squad file from the ps3.

4. Plug the usb drive into your computer and open it up. Go to the PS3 folder and then the SAVEDATA folder under that and you should see a folder starting with "BL". If you have a euro game it will be something like BLES003140102 or if you have a US game it will be something like BLUS301760100. If you don't have this you didn't copy it right.
Open that folder and you should find 5 files inside named ICON0.PNG, PARAM.PFD, PARAM.SFO, PIC1.PNG, and SYS-DATA. If you downloaded the file davesaul posted you should also have his BL folder with the same 5 files. Take the SYS-DATA file ONLY from his folder and overwrite your own SYS-DATA file. Don't do anything with any of the other files!

5. Plug the usb drive back into the PS3 and go back to "Saved Data Utility" and select the USB Device. Find the squad file and hit triangle then copy to copy it back to the PS3. If you didn't already delete the PS3 copy back in step 2 it might prompt you to overwrite.
Now you should be able to start up the game, go to load Squads, and you should see the "squads edited" file from davesaul. Load it, go to edit player, then go to Premier League/Man City. If Gareth Barry has a passing rating of around 60, with a sprint speed of around 55 then it worked. It's obvious if its worked - many teams e.g. Liverpool will have less stars - and you can tell by the player speed in-game!!

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR EXISTING OPTION FILE SO YOU CAN REVERT BACK TO IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS ONE

70 for aggression/pressure is waaaaaaaaaaay too high, there's only a few teams that should ever have that setting, someone like Stoke/Bolton who play uber aggressive and close down constantly to make up for their disparity in talent.

Yeah it's been changed, the crap teams like Stoke and Bolton need it though, played them with a 55 pressure and it was crap. Bump it up to 70-75 and then it get's good again.

looks like the constantly pressuring AI (yes, even with these tweaks I have Etoo running around in my 1/3rd of the pitch trying to ball over my DMs) didn't make the cut for the new patch. at least MM is being fixed... barely.

Last edited:
found this elsewhere, kind of implies we could get one central file going...
Thief!lol.

This is my option file and it's something that i've started on the Ea forum...following on from Bluchampblogger last year.

I've just joined on here today to basically try and get some form of central file going. I've not quite finished the Premier League yet, but i should be by weekend.

I've tried to get help on the EA Fifa forums but it's difficult with the amount of pointless new threads that push everyone elses to the back.

Basically the option file contains reduced sprint speed and acceleration (by 20) for the starting 11 and 10 subs for each Premier League team (although half have the stat reduction for every player - i later decided that was pointless as i was editing players that i would never use).

I've added to this by decreasing short passing by 25-30 for City & United. i've played numerous test games using these 2 teams and then comparing the experience with an unedited game, and the difference is night and day. Combined with customising tactics, this editing makes the game very enjoyable.

Anyway hello to everyone on here, hopefully i can be part of something that greatly improves the game for everyone.

Last edited:
I'm a little loathed to reduce sprint speeds as I only play MM and the AI has super speed all over especially the defenders so reducing my players speed would only make it worse as when it wants to the AI just ignores stat's anyway...

Back
Top Bottom