Loved FIFA 10..now not so sure?? some thoughts

Man I just had another small game there.....think I had more fun just playing with C.Ronaldo in the arena....

I think there's definitely fun to be had. Online 10v10 can be great fun if you get some decent players, and can avoid the endless, unimaginative tedium of Barca V Real Madrid matches.

Offline, definitely experiment with the AI tactics, as Tiktiktik has suggested. You really can manipulate how different AI teams play and change the whole experience. In particular, you can remove the aggravation of being relentlessly pressed for 90 mins by simply altering the AI teams defensive depth and aggression. That alone makes such a difference, but all the other tactical sliders have genuine, tangible effects...they really are not just gimmicks. Learn what they all do and then use them to create different styles of AI opposition.

I'm still not keen on playing against the cpu, so nearly always play on Be-A-Pro mode. Setting up Tiktiktik's Arsenal v Bolton example, you can then be part of a super Arsenal team as they play scintillating football, or try to counter them as part of stuggling Bolton long-ball fest. Both styles offer their own pleasures to play in.

I find playing on Be-A-Pro mode, all manual controls at Professional diffculty level works well enough, but playing semi/assisted controls is necessary at Legendary.

There is fun to be had, you just need to look for it.

So do you put both the agression bar and the pressing bar down towards zero?

Or I mean agression bar and defense depth bar...I cant even remember bar names?

Defense depth goes down, Bolton has 10 I think. But I would keep pressure and aggression at a decent height. Ive found that if you have them low the AI doesn't tackle you and really just runs along with you waiting for you to misplace a pass/shot. I guess it's similar to the non-shooting on pro level.

Realistically a team will really pressure you in their half, but will leave you alone in your half.Thats the balance that needs to be found imo, so a low value for defense deep slider and a formation edit (placing your defenders and midfielders deeper) will enable you to have easy possesion in your half but once you get to close to their goal they really hound and tackle you. Which is how it should be imo.

sorry Im a bit lsot

SO, I have to edit every team in games depth bar and resave there new stategsy so teh cpu uses them in games?

Or I just edit strategy of my team I am playing with?

I have a rather strange issue with the game in that it leaves too much to the user to a certain extent, for example I hate auto switching so I turn it off, sometimes though like in old PES/WE when a ball is headed out of the box I want a player from midfield auto locking onto that ball and busting a gut to get there for a volley/half volley, so I want the AI to make that decision for me rather than fumbling around with the button to select the correct player, losing momentum.

For me this seems too relaxed in FIFA and kind of played at a stroll rather than the EA team's key word "urgency", I rarely find myself jumping out of my chair and cursing/cheering, in the box as well I rarely get that feeling that I have done something well, rather than at that instant it has allowed me to score.

I am half decent at the game and winning more than I lose/draw now on world class and playing some nice football at times, it just doesn't seem to be as rewarding and soulful still.

Hope that makes sense.

You can edit a setting, save it as custom tactic 01. Then you go through the teams and load this tactic as their default. It's a bit of work, but you once you have a few saved it should only take about 5min per league.

So do you put both the agression bar and the pressing bar down towards zero?

Or I mean agression bar and defense depth bar...I cant even remember bar names?

Bear in mind that the defensive depth bar indicates how far up the pitch the opposition will start pressing you. I'm presuming that setting it to 50 means that they will not start pressing you until you cross the half-way line, setting it to 30 means they will not start pressing you until you get into the final 3rd, setting it to 100 means they will press you the full length of the pitch.

The aggression bar then indicates how forceful that pressure will be. Above 70 means they will stick two men on you, giving you no peace, but if their depth is set to 30, they won't do that until you reach their final 3rd.

And setting the agression to a very low value means they won't really press hard on you at all.

So you can see how you can play around with these 2 simple settings to create all kinds of variations in the AI defence, whcih in turn means you can play different styles against them.

You can set a team to press hard against you all over the pitch, giving you no time on the ball at all. You can set some to press hard but only in the final 3rd, so you can stroke it around a bit, but will be harried a lot only as you approach their goal. And you can set some teams to generally sit off you altogether and just crowd their box, making it hard to get a final pass in as there's not much space.

You can also use this to make some teams easier to play against. Hopefully that might partially get round the problem in MM where playing the bottom team in the league is often contrived to be the hardest game of the season, yet next match you can go out and skelp the league leaders far too easily.

I wanted so badly to like this game. But EA have basically looked at the single player experience and decided to do nothing about it. All of the cheats that the AI use from 09 are there, and they're probably more pronounced then ever. Just played against Birmingham, and Lee Carsley was the fastest, strongest, best passer of the ball and dribbler on the pitch. My whole team couldn't have tackled him, but he could catch a sprinting Nani ripping down teh wing, shoulder him off the ball, turn and play a perfect through ball.

The CPU cheating is just outrageous, it's worse than any PES in my opinion. I'm just so overwhelming dissapointed with EA. Such a beautiful engine.

Playing against a mate is incredible. But you don't always have mates around, and online has worse reactions and you end up playing muppets half the time.

I kind of hope EA are just honest and don't have a single mode in the next version. That or fix it.

Bear in mind that the defensive depth bar indicates how far up the pitch the opposition will start pressing you. I'm presuming that setting it to 50 means that they will not start pressing you until you cross the half-way line, setting it to 30 means they will not start pressing you until you get into the final 3rd, setting it to 100 means they will press you the full length of the pitch.

The aggression bar then indicates how forceful that pressure will be. Above 70 means they will stick two men on you, giving you no peace, but if their depth is set to 30, they won't do that until you reach their final 3rd.

And setting the agression to a very low value means they won't really press hard on you at all.

So you can see how you can play around with these 2 simple settings to create all kinds of variations in the AI defence, whcih in turn means you can play different styles against them.

You can set a team to press hard against you all over the pitch, giving you no time on the ball at all. You can set some to press hard but only in the final 3rd, so you can stroke it around a bit, but will be harried a lot only as you approach their goal. And you can set some teams to generally sit off you altogether and just crowd their box, making it hard to get a final pass in as there's not much space.

You can also use this to make some teams easier to play against. Hopefully that might partially get round the problem in MM where playing the bottom team in the league is often contrived to be the hardest game of the season, yet next match you can go out and skelp the league leaders far too easily.

Ah I get you...so in effect you could make italian teams really hard to break down and press hard whereas some crappy teams make it so they never press much

BUT really EA shouldve made the game like this in first place?

I wanted so badly to like this game. But EA have basically looked at the single player experience and decided to do nothing about it. All of the cheats that the AI use from 09 are there, and they're probably more pronounced then ever. Just played against Birmingham, and Lee Carsley was the fastest, strongest, best passer of the ball and dribbler on the pitch. My whole team couldn't have tackled him, but he could catch a sprinting Nani ripping down teh wing, shoulder him off the ball, turn and play a perfect through ball.

The CPU cheating is just outrageous, it's worse than any PES in my opinion. I'm just so overwhelming dissapointed with EA. Such a beautiful engine.

Playing against a mate is incredible. But you don't always have mates around, and online has worse reactions and you end up playing muppets half the time.

I kind of hope EA are just honest and don't have a single mode in the next version. That or fix it.

man to get the most out of your money, go join fifa leagues... look for guys who play SIM style, non pressure button, and manual

I dotn get this I just went lyon versus west ham

I put my pressure down to 30

and agrresion at liek 60

I also changed from offsie to cover

I lost 2-1

I had most possesion

THey had like 2 chances...breaks from half way line 1 v 1

Nothing has changed

They always had loads men behind ball....hard to make cahcnes

Something that is currently bothering me is that there seems to be a disproportionate amount of time needed for the ballcarrier to change direction as opposed to a defender. If the attacker is running down the wing and I run right next with a defender, the attacker can usually effortlessly just stop dead and change direction or cut inwards, whilst the defender looks like he weight 300 pounds as he tries to stop himself from running. OK that the attacker has the element of surprise, but online with the slight transmission lag that is always there, it's fucking frustrating. All you can really do to prevent this is to slow down and stay behind him slightly, leading to an open cross. Offline it might be fine, but this is yet another reason why they should drop the gameplay speed down so that "slow" now is "normal" instead. When playing online the gamespeed is fixed to "normal", and it's just too quick considering the environment. Not only is "Slow" the more realistic speed, but it also makes sense since online lag becomes a lesser percent of any game sequence, since any game sequence takes place over slightly longer time.

Well I have decided due to the lack of enjoyment and frustration in the single player and my lack of friends haha I have put up for sale....back to pes6...and some funds for uncharted 2

I think I might have to do the same.
I enjoy the game but the crap Manager mode and only having one friend who owns the game makes its hard toe enjoy at times.
Its quite frustrating cuz its a great game IMO. But even when searching for matches online, I rarely find someone to play. It feels like theres only like 10 people in the whole world playing this.

I'm still playing friendly matches vs. the AI (World Class/Manual) only, to
- grow my VP
- learn how to master full manual control

I'm still as excited as I was on the first day. Semi/Auto is a different game for me, though.
Anyone who loves football/football games should try to switch to full manual, as you only discover 30% percent of this game if you play it assisted in any way.

It's very hard to play simple passes and Barca style one touch football of course. It's a lot harder to learn manual control than it was switching from FIFA to PES1...but once you are into it it's a great (football gaming) experiance

Well, i really wanted to play MM. But with PES's imminent arrival, i fear Fifa may fade away from my thoughts. I'm bored of playing exhibition and league matches regularly. I want a ML/MM to get my teeth into.

I'm giving PES a good go this year, after trying the WE demo and enjoying it (although not as much as I enjoy FIFA).

But, like others have said, the broken MM/AI tactics has just hurt FIFA too much for me. Now I only really play it for Clubs and I really want a career game to play, so ML is the best option for me.

That and BAP:S hasn't been touched at all and I didn't try BAL last year so I'm looking forward to trying BAL.

Hopefully there'll be more than just those six fixes for MM and it'll be more playable because I love FIFA's gameplay, shame the rest of it is broken :(

I'm giving PES a good go this year, after trying the WE demo and enjoying it (although not as much as I enjoy FIFA).

But, like others have said, the broken MM/AI tactics has just hurt FIFA too much for me. Now I only really play it for Clubs and I really want a career game to play, so ML is the best option for me.

That and BAP:S hasn't been touched at all and I didn't try BAL last year so I'm looking forward to trying BAL.

Hopefully there'll be more than just those six fixes for MM and it'll be more playable because I love FIFA's gameplay, shame the rest of it is broken :(

I come from PES anyway so with all the patches and being cheap I think the PC version is the way to go.

The full version is supposed to play allot more fluid to the demo so for £17 notes it may be worth it.

Just no Newcastle or St james park unless we can add them in.

I'm playing 2nd division sides that put Barca to shame...

I have lots of niggles and such, but this really is the one thing for me that shows that EA still hasn't understood what we want from a football game (when I say we I mean the majority of people on here who care enough to rant about these things). It's not like people won't like a realistic balance in this particular aspect, play as China in PES5 and I dare you to try to string more than 2 one-touch passes together, and people loved that game to bits.

Do they just don't see the problems, or are they just ill-equipped to balance it correctly and realistically?

definitely getting PES this year. Fifa will be my online game.

PES is for master league.

I have lots of niggles and such, but this really is the one thing for me that shows that EA still hasn't understood what we want from a football game (when I say we I mean the majority of people on here who care enough to rant about these things). It's not like people won't like a realistic balance in this particular aspect, play as China in PES5 and I dare you to try to string more than 2 one-touch passes together, and people loved that game to bits.

Do they just don't see the problems, or are they just ill-equipped to balance it correctly and realistically?
The whole thing seems rushed to me, with a little patience and time they could make all the teams far more realistic...

I took my copy back for a refund. In a week I went from thinking this was the greatest game ever to thinking it was a frustrating piece of crap.

Did they even play test the game on manual controls?

The passing is soo horribly inconsistant, I have tapped the pass button about 40 yards from the goal to slide it through to an oncocming player and it flys out for a goal kick at the speed of light! Multiple times in games using any of the passing methods the strength of pass in no way resembled the length of button press.

Team mate AI is shockingly bad. I had seen enough players inexplicably stop runs into space that I started to think that they have coded the AI not to seek out space, this atleast would explain the movement,or lack of, of the strikers!
When passing slightly to the side of static players so they would run off a marker, they stay static and the marker gets the ball by running onto it.
I have played balls into the path of oncoming players and they have turned around and ran away from the ball!

KIlling the cpu control of a player as soon as the game switches to them is just retarded, you cannot hit a pass then instantly begin controlling another player with any real precision. And speaking of player switching IT IS F'**KED!!!! I lost count off the amount of times an attacking move was stopped dead by the game switching to a totaly illogical player, I dont know if its just the way that I pass the ball around but switching to the wrong player happened way to often.

Goal keepers are a joke, in some situations they are awesome and in others they may aswell not be on the pitch.

Playing in snow with a white ball???? really this is just ridiculous.

Online is ruined by idiots that constantly pressure, It would not be soo bad if running into a player at full speed, knoccking them over and taking the ball resulted in a foul but no it never does. This brings me to the refs which seemed to be as inept as some that officiate in the premier league.

There is no real diffference between the teams IMO, I felt at no disadvantage playing as Bristol Rovers(1 & half stars) against barcalona or any of the other 5 star or similar teams. There is just not enough individuality in the players. This goes for when the cpu uses them also, I played a match against Accrington(half a star) on legendary and they were playing as if they were Barca, pin point one touch passing and sublime ball control, its a joke.

I just realised the length of my post and will stop now but everythingg I i have ranted about should not have made the final product IMO, its just not good enough, I work in design and if I was sending out work of this quality I would not keep my job for long, EA should not be able to get away with it.

One last thing, I saw the list of fix's in the new patch earlier, wow they really do not respect their customers do they.

Got the game and played loads of games against my mates, single player, in full manual, and I am not impressed or WOWED! In any way. There is a slight improvement with ball physics, dribbling, and shooting. However, the game just has too many damn issues and it feels and looks too similar to FIFA09. I feel like I'm playing a 1.5 version instead of a new one. I just don't get that "feeling" at all when scoring or playing. Too many one on ones, ball still feels and looks floaty, and players still feel a bit sluggish for my liking. Besides, there just isn't any player individuality. I played one game online and it was enough of a negative experience not to comeback.

I will stick with PES2010 for this year despite it's stiffness and lack of licences and fewer animations. Even with these minor annoyances, PES still gives me that great feeling with better AI, and player specific attributes. FIFA has still a ways to go in my view. For me, PES2010 will be the better game this year. I am however, thankful to have two very good choices to choose from this year.

Last edited:
I don't understand this "floaty" ball critisicm on FIFA, have any of these people played PES and taken a goalkick? The ball hangs in the air for AGES before coming down!

I don't understand this "floaty" ball critisicm on FIFA, have any of these people played PES and taken a goalkick? The ball hangs in the air for AGES before coming down!

Fifa used to have floaty balls (ewerrr)but it's been improved 10 fold.

The only thing that needs improving are the lobbed through balls, they need a bit more forward momentum as they hang just a little to long for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom