Konami to end partnership with UEFA

Maybe Sports Interactive could be tempted to produce a playable version of Football Manager? Although there's probably a very good reason why this hasn't happened already/won't happen.

I made this question to Miles Jacobson years ago...

https://twitter.com/broxopios/status/384972046653878272

Also in a personal message he said to me that their AI is aim to a 90minutes game and not to 10-15 minutes game.

I don't care about the UEFA licenses either as long as they do something to simulate the same structure of those tournaments to be playable through Master League AND single tournament versions. But the thing is, I don't trust Konami. I fear they may remove this type of competition altogether.

FIFA invented the Champions Cup which equals Champions League. That's what I'm talking about.
Hopefully Konami makes something up too like Winners League, lol.

Also, at this point PES should go back to be called Winning Eleven. Everything's been a mess since they got rid of the emblematic name.

I remember looking at PES6 thinking, blimey I wonder how good this will be in ten years?
Regarding CL, you should be able to edit the game to a point where you can't tell that it wasn't licensed in the first place.
If I was to look at two teams with correct kits, I'd be more impressed with the team that had been edited more than the one that was licensed. That would be the games way of saying, we don't have the licenses but we want to give you the tools so you can't tell the difference.

Im gutted tbh, maybe im too old for it all.. part of me wishes there was no or limited internet and I just found PES2018 and enjoyed it for what it is sometimes.
That's what I did when I started my ML campaign not long ago. Was away from the game since release almost, booted it up and enjoying it for what it is, staying away from the internet regarding anything PES.

That doesn't mean its faults don't show up, they will obviously and when they do I feel handicapped and want to throw the controller at the TV. But other times, like when I scored the first goal against Spurs in the FA Cup final and passionately jumped hard and pulled a thigh muscle (lol, caught me by surprise, didn't think I was that old), the brilliant moments are what keep me going.

I remember looking at PES6 thinking, blimey I wonder how good this will be in ten years?
Regarding CL, you should be able to edit the game to a point where you can't tell that it wasn't licensed in the first place.
If I was to look at two teams with correct kits, I'd be more impressed with the team that had been edited more than the one that was licensed. That would be the games way of saying, we don't have the licenses but we want to give you the tools so you can't tell the difference.

I remember being incredibly hyped for PES 2008 on PS3. If PES 6 and those before it were so good surely it would go to a whole new level on the next generation. Biggest letdown ever.

The big problem with PES now is that its just poor as a single player game. Player vs player plays pretty well in my opinion but against the AI it just feels horrible (well documented problems like lack of fouls, constant back-heels from the AI etc). I still play PES 6 every now and then and even though it shows its age in a lot of ways, playing against the AI is so much better.

Gameplay aside the amount of teams and leagues available to edit is really poor. I'm not really bothered with licenses but why can't they give the option to create additional leagues and teams? Give the option to create a league, assign it to a country whatever and also allow more than 2 divisions for a country. This would help massively with master league, which has hardly progressed if at all. Imagine being able to download additional leagues and teams created by other users, to have such a small limit of teams in 2018 is just really poor in my opinion.

Really wish they would start aiming the game towards editors more, give us the tools to create our own competitions with various formats, people won't be complaining about lack of licenses then.

It's all wishful thinking I know, more money to be made in other areas of the game.

I agree with everything you said. I wonder also about those things you’ve pointed out.

I mean, there’s no rocket science in implementing them into the game.. like wtf, we (the community) already did it a few times.

Lack of transparency is what i dislike about KONAMI, there are simple questions that have simple answers but they never answer... it’s like in politics.

Give us a way to easy:
- add/edit competitions
- add/edit teams

And no one will ever complain about lack of licenses because, PES always had a large active modding community.

Also, stop trying each and every year to block our attempts to mod the game, we, the modders contribute to the number of sales and come here on EVO and talk with ppl, consult with them, here is one of the best places to be if you care about your fanbase and improving the game. Here you'll be troll free and you can have the feedback the game needs to improve.

Last edited:
I do care about CL License. It is basically the only mode i have been playing in the last few years (friendly and libertadores being the other ones). And it was the only thing that made the shitty master league shines.

Presentation being light years behind any modern sport game, gameplay being mediocre, on line a hit or miss depending on the day, year after year licenses being taken away...i'd say EA is once again trying to kill its opponents off the rings and it looks like football videogaming is gonna be an american monopoly...just lile madden. Bad news, i'd say Konami is really doomed if they do not come up with an old school wonderful gameplay which i serioulsy doubt they can produce, too many thing gone wrong in the last 10 years or so.

Tbh I don’t know exactly whats going on behind the scenes at KONAMI, they ditched Hideo Kojima, they ditched a great game franchise like Silent Hill... it’s like they go downhill on purpose.

I’m personally dissapointed with what KONAMI has become in 2018 considering i’ve lived and played so many games made by them during my gaming experience.

They need to come up with a brilliant flawless gameplay in 2019 to make up for the loss off UEL/CL license otherwise, they’ll lose most of the playerbase and their micro transactions MYCLUB will badly suffer.

I’m really interested to see what PES19 will bring on the table because if they will fail, the series will be doomed for sure.

Theoretically speaking, the loss of UCL/UEL should reflect on PES19 price, otherwise, it will be clear for me that they dont care anymore about fans.

U cant sell a naked game for 60 bucks no matter how strong the gameplay, sorry Konami.

I remember being incredibly hyped for PES 2008 on PS3. If PES 6 and those before it were so good surely it would go to a whole new level on the next generation. Biggest letdown ever.

This was exactly the same for me. I loved PES 5, got PES 6 and felt it was better again and couldn't wait to see what they'd done for PES 2008. Got it, played it and couldn't believe they'd ruined the game. Like you say, a massive let down.

I know there's this mentality of "licence doesn't matter" among PES hardliners, but the implications of losing the UEFA licence goes beyond just whether hardliners will buy it or not.

1. The neutral market doesn't care about editing. Maybe some do, but in large, they don't. They want a proper out-of-the-box experience. The UEFA licence gave them reason to actually look in Konami's direction. Some have been converted to PES fans, like me back with PES 2009, whereas I hadn't heard of the franchise before. Most of them remain neutral. The point is, without this licence to keep PES in the competition, most of the neutrals buying PES will be flocking to FIFA. And that, even if EA didn't bother to jump in on the occasion, but they obviously won't skip the chance.

2. The licensing race being completely lost by Konami spells disaster for football gaming in general. With the major competitor out of the way, EA will have no incentive to improve their game whatsoever, so they can afford to invest even less in actual development of the game and even more in marketing. Meanwhile Konami basically gave up, and I'm not seeing them suddenly start caring more about the game. They won't give more editing options, in fact modding is harder than ever. They'll only give the bare minimum to keep the core fanbase loyal, but the core fanbase is an afterthought to the MyClub kiddies. So I'm going to repeat myself, but if you're expecting the next PES 6, I think you should temper it and expect the next PES 2008 instead.

How big could a database be that the consoles could cope with?
Couldn't Konami even get away with simple team names without using the full name? ie Manchester, Newcastle, West Bromwich.
This was how it was in the very early era up until PES 2 because something happened (a lawsuit was threatened or something, I'm not sure of the details)

It would be interesting to know what the comparable sales are for Fifa and PES on PC. Obviously Xbox and PS would be a landslide for FIFA but with PC players probably being the kind of gamers that are more into modding I wonder what the figures are like.

Anyone know how it sells in Japan? Does WE/PES outsell FIFA there?

FIFA has already grabbed the younger players I think. They promote heavily with clubs and players and with the UEFA license will have things pretty much sewn up.

It would never happen I know but one way PES could go would be to have a complete football world. Have all the leagues from around the world of any note, have all the proper competitions and international competitions as well. Just call them generic names like The English Cup, World Championship etc and same for the league names. They could have all the proper players and stats but just give them random names or mix them up like SWOS used to so you'd have Polo Pigbo or something. Have proper kits colour wise but no sponsors or badges and have a fully functioning game world. And of course have it in a format that is simple to edit/mod.

Won't happen but what a game that would be.

You know I don't even know what MyClub is. I'm guessing it's something online. I have never have and never will be interested with online gameplay. But that's where the market is now. So I do fear that PES5 and 6 won't happen again.

Yes you're right people, it's obvious that this is in no way, shape or form GOOD NEWS. The "licence doesn't matter" alone, is a lie (Konami's "part of the plan" is 100% BS). Most people mean different things though, I think the most common is saying that "if the game goes back to not sucking and the lack of the licence is the only negative, then it probably wouldn't affect my decision to buy the game" but in fewer words.

The licence doesn't matter at all to me, because the game doesn't matter at all to me. I don't like pes18, I don't play it. If this changes, you can bet that I will be looking to patch the CL presentation/music in the game, suddenly it has added value for my enjoyment. I'm also making the assumption that this will be possible (on pc), when sadly it may not be possible for a lot of people.

Last edited:
You know I don't even know what MyClub is. I'm guessing it's something online. I have never have and never will be interested with online gameplay. But that's where the market is now. So I do fear that PES5 and 6 won't happen again.
I don't really know what it is either other than it's probably a competitor to EA'S Ultimate Team.
Also, a football game with freedom: PES 3 :)

This was how it was in the very early era up until PES 2 because something happened (a lawsuit was threatened or something, I'm not sure of the details)
I'm sure they can dare a little more though.
I don't remember who was saying it (Jon Hare maybe?) but I believe no-one could stop you from naming a team "Chelsea" or "Liverpool", after all they're just names of places and not necessarily names of teams.

Also, FIFA does it too: Cremonese is "Cremona", Entella is "Chiavari", but Parma is "Parma" and Foggia is "Foggia"... You get what I mean.

I'm sure they can dare a little more though.
I don't remember who was saying it (Jon Hare maybe?) but I believe no-one could stop you from naming a team "Chelsea" or "Liverpool", after all they're just names of places and not necessarily names of teams.

Also, FIFA does it too: Cremonese is "Cremona", Entella is "Chiavari", but Parma is "Parma" and Foggia is "Foggia"... You get what I mean.

You're right. No one can stop you from using city names. :)

Regarding to the CL/EL license, I'm sure, we'll get a fake CL/EL for Master League.
Before Konami got the CL/EL license, they also had a fake CL/EL (in PES 2008, 2009, etc.), so no worries about that.

And I'm okay with losing the CL/EL license, as long as Konami invests the saved money for other teams or leagues.

I think saying PES 2018 sucks is being a little bit unfair. The game is good. Very good at times. But it's a rushed game, as have been every single PES since 2014. They took it out of the oven too soon and it shows some times. If it had been released on December instead of September, giving Konami 3 more months to work on it, I'm sure it would be a greater game.

The default names were still PES like but you could change the call names which featured many towns and cities. Another thing that has always bothered me is the names of players. Early PES games had fake names depending on where they were from. But why?
Then players were fake depending on what team they played in, regardless of nationality.
From PES6, licensed international teams had correct kits, names and faces. Some unlicensed teams had fake kits but all players had correct names but only some correct faces. Other unlicensed teams had fake everything.
Licensed club teams had correct kits, correct names but only some had correct faces. Some unlicensed club teams had fake kits, correct names, some correct faces. Other unlicensed teams had fake everything.
Now, how on earth did they work all that out? My head hurts.

I think saying PES 2018 sucks is being a little bit unfair.

Most of us are wishfully thinking about the gameplay improving. We can't all use the same words and expressions when referring to what's currently bad. Just an expression, it's not important.

But it's a rushed game. They took it out of the oven too soon and it shows some times. If it had been released on December instead of September, giving Konami 3 more months to work on it, I'm sure it would be a greater game.

Sorry Chuny can't agree with this. I think the game is exactly the way they wanted it as an e-sports game. Otherwise, in the age of digital distribution, they would have patched it by now. All I'm seeing is retired footballers that I could play with in pes 6 if I wanted, and in a much more authentic setting, with all the old teams and the old graphics and the better AI. :)

Last edited:
Most of us are wishfully thinking about the gameplay improving. We can't all use the same words and expressions when referring to what's currently bad. Just an expression, it's not important.

Sorry Chuny can't agree with this. I think the game is exactly the way they wanted it as an e-sports game. Otherwise, in the age of digital distribution, they would have patched it by now. All I'm seeing is retired footballers that I could play with in pes 6 if I wanted, and in a much more authentic setting, with all the old teams and the old graphics and the better AI. :)

Maybe you're right. I don't know.
But you've seen how many months it took for them to release a patch that kinda-sort of-almost tried to fix the lack of free-kicks? It looks like for them to be able to put out patches that modify the gameplay or the core of it, it has to go through different approvals and it has to be tested and re-tested a zillion times. That's why I think patches don't really fix the big things that were really wrong by the official release date. That's why I call it a half-baked product.

Also with things geared more and more towards online play what hope is there that the AI will really get any work at all?

This is the million $ question/issue currently, not just for pes but for fifa too.

In fifa18 you can use the right stick to do the most basic of moves and the AI marking you heads to the dressing room.
Your AI teammates act like static training cones. Yet not one considers the game broken. In pes there is all this space where the AI hardly tries to cut passing lanes and passing the ball around is easier than ever.

Why is this the case in both games? Because they expect a human to do these things manually in an online setting. This raises the "skill" level for their stupid e-sport, as you can no longer rely on the AI to do the most basic things that it's supposed to do on a football pitch.

Of course offline, you can only control 1 player, and the AI not doing the most basic of things in football is just a recipe for some pretty terrible games. In addition there is lazy coding to make the AI simply 'hard' for offline play. Perfectly weighted passes, backheel passes etc. They just don't care.

Both games should ship with 2 versions of the gameplay/AI, for online and offline. I don't see ANY other way. Except FUT/MyClub becoming a separate game which should be cause for a wild party and celebrations. What we have right now is a single product (fifa/pes) that's aimed at two different markets. It ain't working.

Last edited:
I think saying PES 2018 sucks is being a little bit unfair. The game is good. Very good at times.
I think this is correct. I just started playing master league with release of Nedved and Salas to have a go at it with Lazio. Saw kilay's signiture or post wasit "just play at pro level to avoid scripting" and I did that without even trying top levels.

And I can now agree, since demo which is the only gameplay I tried before this version 1.4 with dlc 3 pes is pretty good on pro level at least - getting free kicks, penalties(not as often), oposing team's strikers do dives and get booked, had one 5:5 season match vs Inter(was a crazy one), lost few matches 1:0 or 2:1 vs teams I was sure I am about to beat.

I noticed since 2017 my team responds better if I do not use advanced instructions, set my formation to suit starting 11's registered position and adjust attack/defence as required during the match. 2018 is pretty good atm. It is missing livesider and stadiudm server though:SHOCK:....

That’s pretty much the only upside to losing the CL/EL,that konami could focus on making the gameplay good again,focus being on COULD!

Will they,that’s a different question?
Me,I’m a bit sad losing them,felt kinda special playing CL/EL on your master league.
Since I also play FIFA,if they acquire them,will EA give them more power,presentation etc?
I’m sure they will,probably making them really good,but my main issue with EA getting the UEFA licence is that will they pay attention to making game play good again?
With a shiny new toy like the UEFA licences I’d doubt it.

This was exactly the same for me. I loved PES 5, got PES 6 and felt it was better again and couldn't wait to see what they'd done for PES 2008. Got it, played it and couldn't believe they'd ruined the game. Like you say, a massive let down.

Same.
I remember booting up Pes08 and thinking wtf!
I got used to it but it looked and played so different.
Pes09 was awful.
Pes10 was great.
The rest - meh

Good, back to the honesty of a WEFA CUP (Winning Eleven Football Assoc) or a Masters Cup.
UEFA is just a tourism consortium, stuff em.

Back
Top Bottom