Konami to end partnership with UEFA

Champion's league mode, haven't been really exploited at all, it was only aesthetic but
-Always one bundesliga team missing (due to other licence issue)
-I don't remember one game having all the others "little" teams participating, same for europa league

Does we already have one true champion's league experience since the beginning? With real groups/calendar ?
No. For me it's the end of nothing, i really don't care personnally...

Copa Libertadores was way more a big loss : all teams from this copa was present and fully licenced....

Now, it brings back more than 20+ teams in PES 2018 to edit inevitably, even if you don't care...
But you'll need to edit those teams if don't want fake players everywhere on transfers windows : They appears in ML whatever choice you make (there's a option "choose other fake leagues" or not, but it doesn't change for Others Europeans Teams and Others Latam)

@Jamezinho posted exactly what i wanted to say...
That's not a big loss (at all), but well, there was too much of "counter-licence" from EA, and issues which makes the C-league very to be fully exploited.

Everyone ttalking aboutl "lalck of licenses" should go and play aa Champions League (or even worse, an Europa League) in PES 2018 (or 2017, or 2016... Or 2015, 2014 for that matter).
Can you actually play the full tournament with all the teams? No, you CAN'T.
Do you have all (or at least a good amount of) the stadiums? No, you DON'T.
All we have is a scoreboard and a set of TV coverage graphics (two of them, if we consider the EL one) and some adboards.
Would it really be wise to keep paying a license but be forced to have a 'PM Black White' vs. 'MD White' final like last year? What are you paying for, then?
And this year? Roma are licensed, Liverpool are... But the other semifinal? MD White again, against... Oh dear, Bayern isn't even there in an unlicensed form. And they're UCL semi-finalists.

Screw that license if it's useless anyway. You'd better save that money for something else.

Being all about the gameplay is no longer enough.

This may or may not be true but we/they can only know for sure if they actually try it, because I don't think they've ever achieved much on that front in recent years. PES fans are still going back to PES 6 and 5 and it's not because they've all gone completely mad. Therein lies a trap for konami. They may have come to the conclusion that gameplay doesn't sell, when it could be the much simpler case of: "bad gameplay doesn't sell".

Now, they've said publicly that the gameplay in 18 is the best, which is fine I guess, it's marketing. As long as they don't actually believe it themselves behind closed doors, because if they do, they have another thing coming I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Yes, that was a loss of money for nothing, money which can be used to have many others clubs licence, way more important...

Edit: for one stadium in more (CL finals) and one ball, with was at least for me, a little more important than the licence itself, i don't really care.

But one question, we don't really know if Konami will reinvest that "saved money from CL licence break" to bring back others new teams and giving us, like Adam said, "a full package" for us (without CL, but as much teams to start an ML without editing anything except fakes NT)

BTW Adam talked about "things which aren't related to gameplay" anyway. So that's probably a new thing about licence, editing or game mode.

We can dream about an online tool like Creation Center... But that's not gonna happen.

This may or may not be true but we/they can only know for sure if they actually try it, because I don't think they've ever achieved much on that front in recent years.

They can try it. My hunch is a PES that's short on licences, big on gameplay will be a commercial failure. Certainly on the consoles, anyway. That ship has sailed. We're in the era of 4k graphics. Authenticity (i.e. licences) counts more than ever.

The PC market would be more receptive to such a football game for obvious reasons but it's a much smaller market. Konami would need to make PES a hell of a lot more 'modder friendly' than it is now and history suggests they won't do that.

PES fans are still going back to PES 6 and 5 and it's not because they've all gone completely mad. Therein lies a trap for konami. They may have come to the conclusion that gameplay doesn't sell, when it could be the much more simpler case of: "bad gameplay doesn't sell".

Now, they've said publicly that the gameplay in 18 is the best, which is fine I guess, it's marketing. As long as they don't actually believe it themselves behind closed doors, because if they do, they have another thing coming I'm afraid.
My serious worry for PES is that kids aren't playing the game and Konami's market is mainly people like me who remember the game being good 15 years ago and still have an attachment to it. Once we drift away the series is done.

If Konami use the money they used to destine for the UEFA licenses on improving motion capture, or full league licenses, better programmers, etc. Then this could be a huge hit for them. But if they don't...

About Bhatti's tweet: Without licenses it will not work: Too many people find that very important.
I cannot imagine what can be soo important that it compensates licenses.

Adam: "Sometimes you have to pass backwards in football to move forward".

Oh man, if only PES & Fifa played like that!
Hopefully one day we will get to experience this type of football in a video game again! If that's a hint for the gameplay in pes19 i'm hyped.

Last edited:
There's clearly something big or controversial coming up for PES2019 hence the weird hints and strategic moves regarding licensing. hope the passing backwards doesnt end up like this

WarmTenseBunting.gif

Adams quote is a copy and paste every year, reality is pes is on its death bed and quite a few have been saying that Konami will lose the license to EA and they were spot on, you can also tell by the amount of effort the Konami bosses allow on the game past few years, strong signs the ending is near.

Marketing for PES 2019 already.

Problem is they're damned if you say something, damned if they don't. Position and power of social media.

Like I've said before, no more lip service, that tweet could've gone a different direction. I think if anything PES guys need to show less PR and more community. Ask questions when replying to people, genuinely. It's not hard, and it would go further than those type of cliche marketing attempts.

Like a said a few months ago, unless they bring in the gameplay modifiers (such as sliders) I won't be buying PES 2019. No matter how they choose to 'replace' the UEFA licenses (either with full licensed leagues or with other stuff).

PES 2018 could have been the perfect football game if it had the same sliders FIFA has. So they can have the EPL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga but unless they step up, it's not going to cut it for me. Why? Well because, no matter what they do to the gameplay, it always will get tiresome and monotonous after a few months.

FIFA becomes repetitive too, but when you start to feel that way, you go and change a few values in the gameplay sliders and it feels different again. So you can continue playing it.

The best thing that could happen to PES, is to collaborate with Sport Interactive.

They're pratically don't have real licenced teams (not that much real emblems etc., mainly FIFPRO) but you can really change everything, and there's isn't a more complete "friendly user" editing tool in the market... The official FM editor database is outstanding.
About the graphical parts (kits/faces etc.) Konami's does it well, but for the database...

As people have stated, not much of a loss of the Champions League graphics and music. I would prefer having the actual teams without the competition (even unlicensed! at least I can take them online this way!), rather than the competition without the teams. Im not much of a Bhatti fan myself, but I would trust him in this one tweet.

The best thing that could happen to PES, is to collaborate with Sport Interactive.

They're pratically don't have real licenced teams (not that much real emblems etc., mainly FIFPRO) but you can really change everything, and there's isn't a more complete "friendly user" editing tool in the market... The official FM editor database is outstanding.
About the graphical parts (kits/faces etc.) Konami's does it well, but for the database...

Sorry for double post, but...this is the dream to me. To have a world as alive as the football manager one, while being able to play it. Hell even a Be A Legend mode would be so much better. Starting out in some club's under 17s, then getting sent out on loan, getting your first youth international cap in some small stadium, putting in a transfer request but having it denied by a strong willed manager, complaining about practice, having a mentor, learning moves/new positions, earning your first professional contract, getting into becoming a first team regular, getting your first cap, getting your first taste of Continental football, becoming a club favorite, winning trophies, becoming a mentor to someone below, going for club record of appearances or goals, becoming a captain and then a club legend, having your testimonial, special cut-scenes for your retirement, your number gets retired. That's just one of many ways you could make a career!

I'll dream forever about this. I think if I ever become a billionaire, owning my hometown club Motagua and buying SI and Konami will be the things I lose my money over. Not cocaine, parties or sex, but football.

About Bhatti's tweet: Without licenses it will not work: Too many people find that very important.
I cannot imagine what can be soo important that it compensates licenses.
But UCL and UEL were never fully licensed anyway!

"UEFA license" for them was just a buzzword. No real Champions League, no real Europa League... Half of the teams missing (and, in addition, half of the remaining being unlicensed)...
I mean, playing Champions League with Nelapoltsk*? ARE YOU SERIOUS, KONAMI?

A different thing (and very, very worse) was losing the CONMEBOL license, which meant that Konami lost some thirty teams from all around South America at once. Now, losing the UCL license, we are just saying "goodbye" to some adboards, a couple of footballs, a (FAKE!) stadium and two TV scoreboards.

*by the way, I have nothing against made up teams mind you... I played with Cunturipa in PES 2017 and I'm currently trying to play an Asian Champions League with Fontana City... But do you see the difference? ACL is totally licensed! Also teams from leagues that are fully licensed in FIFA (like Japanese ones) are in!
And so were Sudamericana and Libertadores.
We've never seen something like that with Champions League.

Last edited:
So, the only real licensing deal Konami could throw in the face of EA is gone (and will probably end up at EA).

Now, the old stronghold of "game play no. 1"-PES players is a tough old group but it is also freaking tiny. Many of us in here could be convinced to play Blue Balls Utd vs. Red Dongs City if the game play was flawless, but there is hardly enough of us to maintain an annual game series.
Make no mistake, this is the beginning of the end.
This makes sense, but if they focus on gameplay big time combined with these new graphics (i also say pes faces are atm, and have been way better than fifa) and keep good master league + edit options things you predict will not happen. We can hope.

What else does PES have to offer? Back in the day gameplay was what sold it. They really need to reinvent themselves. I think a perfect edit mode could be the way to go.
For me it was always gameplay, vs friends, master league and become a legend when it came out. Pretty cool modes. Online was always lag so don't care much about that.

And great mods to licence all, add faces, stadiums and kits by the people all over the net.

When you think that all sports games only serve to enhance the interest in the sport/brand it's ridiculous that anything in them has to be licensed in the first place. As if Fifa/Uefa/MLB/NFL/NBA (etc) aren't making enough money already without licensing games companies to use their team names in a game that already promotes those very teams simply by having them in the game. Yes it's the way of the world but that doesn't make it right. They also in my opinion should not be allowed to have the right to sell an exclusive license to one company.

As for PES if they could get in a simple, easy to use editor then it would go a long way to making all this irrelevant. All it needs is a simple csv import and making an option file would be a very quick and easy job. A kit editor, stadium editor, a cup/league generator etc etc. Place all the necessary tools in the game and the game would take on a life of its own with all the modding. If I recall correctly isn't some of this not even allowed? Another ridiculous state of affairs. Give me my money, sod the consumer.

Then maybe Konami could concentrate on the gameplay alone and get the game back to where it was in the earlier years. Imagine all the bells and whistles of today with next gen graphics, sound and so on with the match engine of a pes5/6 and then actually PROGRESSING forwards from there instead of going backwards.

Unfortunately they stood still whilst EA (who must use the same marketing people as Mcdonalds) swooped in and rounded up all the kids and made FIFA the game to have regardless of whether it was a better game or not.

I still find it amazing that the two football games in the world are made in the footballing hotbeds of Canada and Japan!

Surely there must be a games company in Europe or South America who could come up with a decent football game?
If they could create an online tool that can be accessed from edit mode to download data from other people, that would be huge.

"All part of the plan" How can this be all part of the plan?? Bhatti doesn't even think when he tweets stuff...

I don't mind the license being gone. Played it without the license before, and as many have said already, doesn't make much of a difference now that its gone as they never fully utilized it anywayz...Work on the stuff that matters first please. nothing superficial...

Adam has tweeted "the future is incredibly exciting"

who knows maybe the money spent on the UEFA stuff will now be reinvested in to hiring more staff and more manpower to flesh out the different modes and things like testing the game for bugs for the first time in 10 years? personally I think its a bit of a disaster losing the UEFA license but interested to see what they come up with after so many years of being a let down surely they can strike gold at least once?

I guess they are throwing out all Single Player modes and make a subscription based game centered around myClub instead.

Sorry for double post, but...this is the dream to me. To have a world as alive as the football manager one, while being able to play it. Hell even a Be A Legend mode would be so much better. Starting out in some club's under 17s, then getting sent out on loan, getting your first youth international cap in some small stadium, putting in a transfer request but having it denied by a strong willed manager, complaining about practice, having a mentor, learning moves/new positions, earning your first professional contract, getting into becoming a first team regular, getting your first cap, getting your first taste of Continental football, becoming a club favorite, winning trophies, becoming a mentor to someone below, going for club record of appearances or goals, becoming a captain and then a club legend, having your testimonial, special cut-scenes for your retirement, your number gets retired. That's just one of many ways you could make a career!

I'll dream forever about this. I think if I ever become a billionaire, owning my hometown club Motagua and buying SI and Konami will be the things I lose my money over. Not cocaine, parties or sex, but football.
Can I join you in your dream please.

Back
Top Bottom