Japan earthquake - March 2011

56317_51672113_0115259651.jpg

A satellite photo of the Fukushima Daiichi plant showed the damage done to reactors 1 and 3, where there was an explosion on Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12733393

Our whole community pray for the people in Japan!

Best wishes from germany!

I'm generally pro-nuclear and I think it's going to be part of our energy future for a long time to come. What's happening at Fukushima is tragic but it was the tsunami that did the damage, not the earthquake, so Japan needs to review all it's nuclear plants and find a way of tsunami proofing them. They kind of rely on nuclear power as they don't have big resources of coal or gas, so nuclear is here to stay whether we like it or.

I live only about 30 miles from the UK's newest nuclear plant so incidents like this worry me, however Fukushima was an old plant and the newer generation of reactors are getting safer by all accounts. They have many more safety features and back-ups built in.

I think Gab's point about modern coal plants could have a future in the UK as we still have plenty of coal left. It's not as if the mines were closed because we ran out. Coal could be a good stop gap until renewables become more widespread, or until nuclear fusion plants become feasible, as that is many times safer than nuclear fission.

Oh and I think the HAARP stuff is bollocks. Japan, Indonesia and China have earthquakes because - get this - they lie on plate boundaries. Crazy, I know.

God help everyone going through crises at this point in time. What a year this is. Riots in the ME and earthquakes in the Far east. God help us all.

God help everyone going through crises at this point in time. What a year this is. Riots in the ME and earthquakes in the Far east. God help us all.

Not forgetting the people affected by the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand. Unfortunately their situation has been inevitably overlooked by the events in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom