I'm trying so hard to like PES2008....

I am not buying it ! please people do not buy it they have been lazy and just plain mental with this years.No 2v2 or groups online has killed it now + i dont see anything next gen what so ever apart from cutscenes it has crap sound crap graphics crap animations just doesn't feel like a step forward feels like one step back from pes6 apart from the cutscenes.

This game feels like the fifa team and pes team joined forces and made this game.

Last edited:
Chimp im so looking forward to your option file as PES2008 has so far been a major let down, I just hope this can give this game a glimmer of light. However we are only a few days into playing the game and its normally not until patches and option files have been added that I start to enjoy the new series. Still tho, so far this years PES has been the biggest let down since I started playing back in the ISS days.

Chimp im so looking forward to your option file as PES2008 has so far been a major let down, I just hope this can give this game a glimmer of light. However we are only a few days into playing the game and its normally not until patches and option files have been added that I start to enjoy the new series. Still tho, so far this years PES has been the biggest let down since I started playing back in the ISS days.

I need an editor to be released first and then a perhaps a week to get it somewhere near right.

I said after playing PES6, that I thought it was big step backwards and that the game plays too much like FIFA. I think this one is even worse and considering the difference you can make to the game by simply changing some player stats, I think Konami are making a lot of money, out of not much work. The last few versions to me, look like the same game with a few stat tweaks to make each one play different.

Chimps, I agree 100%.

I got excited yesterday in thinking Pesfan had released a PC editor, instead it was the PS2 editor (the title was misleading).

Konami seems to be going towards the casual fan even further this year. The game is more of an arcade game than any. I picked up WE9LE and played it last night - couldn't remember why I chose to stop playing it.

Anyway, I await a option file editor - the community desperately needs one. There is just so much wrong with the game play.

We have our work cut out for us.

Chimps, I agree 100%.

I got excited yesterday in thinking Pesfan had released a PC editor, instead it was the PS2 editor (the title was misleading).

Konami seems to be going towards the casual fan even further this year. The game is more of an arcade game than any. I picked up WE9LE and played it last night - couldn't remember why I chose to stop playing it.

Anyway, I await a option file editor - the community desperately needs one. There is just so much wrong with the game play.

We have our work cut out for us.

I downloaded it, thinking the same.

I think I spent so much time editing option files last year, that it looks obvious to me what changes should have a benificial effect in sorting out what most people think is wrong with the way it plays.

Absolutely agree, the defense is a shit even on top player, a skilled player can run through a whole milan defence for example and score. There is something with the body balance. Also we should tune down shooting and free kick accurency and tune up keepers, slow down passes and shots, and so on.. What was KONAMI looking at ?

after 20 hours of playing i have to say this is a great game. yes many features have been missing but on the pitchs, its great and enjoyable. not too keen on the amount of balls the keeper parrys to to the path of my player.

Absolutely agree, the defense is a shit even on top player, a skilled player can run through a whole milan defence for example and score. There is something with the body balance. Also we should tune down shooting and free kick accurency and tune up keepers, slow down passes and shots, and so on.. What was KONAMI looking at ?

Keepers need improving, dribbling speed and ability reduced, defensive stats on all imrpoved, defence and midfield aggression increased, shot power reduced ...., then the game will play more like a PES game of old, then start on the rest of the game and hopefully end up with a quality game.

tbh not many people care about offline play whilst i loved your option files for pes6 i have probably played less than 20 hours offline in a year on that game.

You know alot of people are saying this game is super fast or something but i just dont see it, After playing into my 3rd season of master league its a big improvement over WE2007 by FAR

The only thing that pisses me off about the game is how dead the athmospher is in the stadium compared to the previous PES games

My game runs super fast too...but occasionaly it runs nicely (don't know why but it only happens on exhibition matches, any Cup & Master League the super fast game returns), and, when it does, the game is very enjoyable..

One major bug that really annoys me on the gameplay (which I consider to be better than PES6 one in many fields) and totally ruins the game is how easily you can pick the ball on your own half, run straight till the opposite goal line just with a defender (pretending) to pressure you and the other ones just running backwards... You just have to pick a guy with average body balance, run an entire field and shoot...looks like an arcade game..

No way there's a soul less un solid feel to everything just a basic pass feels empty just like fifa, headers feel soft shooting is either a daisy cutter or a bullet high shot no no no this is simply not good enough in any area.
Only way i can describe the game is like this, the pes team made it up to 70% then the fifa team took over and finished the game.

Last edited:
Keepers need improving, dribbling speed and ability reduced, defensive stats on all imrpoved, defence and midfield aggression increased, shot power reduced ...., then the game will play more like a PES game of old, then start on the rest of the game and hopefully end up with a quality game.

chimps, i asked but apparently you could not see it... Do you plan to release a PS2 option file? if not, can you brief the percentages you are going to change ie keeper skills +5% and so, maybe i can do it myself.

thanks

chimps, i asked but apparently you could not see it... Do you plan to release a PS2 option file? if not, can you brief the percentages you are going to change ie keeper skills +5% and so, maybe i can do it myself.

thanks

With the previous versions of PESFan Editor, it was easy to convert the option files, so yes, there should be a PS2 version.

I think most people would have in their minds roughly what changes to make, but you cannot tell until you start tweaking the game as a 1% change in certain stats can make a big difference

With the previous versions of PESFan Editor, it was easy to convert the option files, so yes, there should be a PS2 version.

I think most people would have in their minds roughly what changes to make, but you cannot tell until you start tweaking the game as a 1% change in certain stats can make a big difference

if you say there will be a PS2 version, based on your tweaking then i better wait.

Cheers

I think the goalies suck and the speed of the game is way too high, it's a big step from PES6 to PES 2008 actually. Apart from that I really like the game and it plays very good online.
I do hope they slow the game down again in the next version though. This is simply ping/pong, too fast,

Started playing PES when it came to PC , PES3 since then I've had them all 4/5/6 and with each one I would be playing at least 2/3 if not more each and every day.

Last played PES2008 the other day for about 2/3 games 40 to 60mins, not played it at all today.

I will no go into it all, the post on here and every other PES site I've seen say is all. Bottom line its to easy to get from one end of the pitch to the other , no need for build up you can if you want but your only fooling yourself into think you need to do this, all the other pes games you HAD to play to get a goal. But now in REF default setting the old 3 stars you can score anytime you want.

In top player its harder to get the ball off the cpu players who can walk through your tackles, but get on the ball and its near enough as easy to score was in REG... And keepers, Parry Parry Parry, and then more Parry Parry Parry. Konami can never seem to put in something new to the game and balance it, they put in parry from keepers and its on near every shot.

Its like they don't know how to code it in so it only happens now and again, there was something was it PES5 they put in and it happened all the time to, no kind of balance to it what so ever.

They needed better passing and players of varying speeds, but with that should have came a better defence. With passing and dribbling and through balls being a lot better, you can get past or send through your fowards with easy. I wanted the better passing through balls and the varying speed of players, but they needed to sort out the cover in the defence, there is none. You run your player to the byline and the 4 defenders run towards the 6yrd box, leaving forwards and midfielder total free coming into the box for a cutback.

And yes cutback are part of the game, its what real teams and managers pry for in a game and no doubt train to get this to come off, so its not a cheat in the game, Konami need to make the AI better to drop off and mark and not just have them all run in towards goal because the player on the ball has gone to the byline.

ball physics and deflections, now in real games the way a ball will come off a player and by how far depends mostly on how fast the ball that hits him is travelling. But in PES2008 and in other pes games this is not taken into account, I've seen the ball slowly run towards one of my player who has his back to it, this slowly rolling ball hit off this standing players heel(s) and shoot away at speed and can go 15 of more yards. I still think its built in for these ball to hit off my player(s) and go to the cpu players. That is why we see the ball hit off and go off at weird angles.

The game speed need slowing down, and not by taking away the varying speeds players now run at, the game needs to be slower and then use the speed of the faster players. The base game moves to fast and on top of that we have faster players, base game slow then use the speed of players.

This is the way it happens in real games, near walking pace a bit of a jog then passes and burst of speed.

I like what Konami have done with the passing and through balls and varying speed of players, chipped through balls need fixing. Every chipped through ball you try to put over the top of a cpu player is headed away, you can chip balls down the sides of player but I've yet to see one go straight over the top of one and that includes older pes games too.

But as stated, these adds were needed but the balance of the cpu defence was need to be up to cope with these new adds, it wasn't and thus makes the game to easy.

And I hate to say this but boring after a few games where you scoring at will...

Seriously...this year "next gen" version of the game is really pathetic... :-(

I think I played every WE/PES (yep, I'm quite "old" lol), but I never had this horrible feeling while playing one.

It just doesnt feel like playing football at all, and this was the great thing about the game.

Graphics: Very nice except the running animations (unbelievably bad...), and the starting menus (why change something that was excellent to make it this bad?), but then again...who cares about gfx if the game is crap?

Goalies: Comical. Can't buy a save, can't catch a ball...they can score on themselves though (as in: own goal during a save attempt)

Referees: Are you kidding me? My pressing is always a foul, my tackling the same (even the ok looking ones). Ok, nice...does my Cpu opponents play under a different set of rules though? Cause they seem to avoid the ref whistles somehow... :lmao:

AI: Laughable. Opponents players keep doing the same stuffs in every game, go on the wing, dribble dribble dribble until my defence screw up and they are free in the box.
Even if they play a lot on the wings I've NEVER seen the CPU attempt a Cross play, yeah...very realistic. :applause:
Own players movement aren't any good either really...sometimes while on defence I feel like I'm watching a ballet contest...they move and act very strange...

Passing: Horrible. Cpu pretty much decides where your pass will end, might be related to game difficult...I don't know...but 40% of passes will be straight to opponents feet (ok, it might be realistic), 40% in a different direction from the planned one (this is very bad).

Freekicks: Cpu will score whenever they feel like, and it seems like they feel like WAY too often... :lol:
If you're up 1-0 in the final minutes you better forget you can tackle opponents, if you allow a freekick it will be a goal.

Quite frankly...I feel robbed and betrayed...and I wonder what kind of idiotic people did the playtesting and didn't noticed the game was this bad.

The game was obviosly pushed to come out for the release set date (just in time for XMAS huh?) but it looks and plays more like a Beta than a finished product.
It was all about the game...now its all about the money...very sad. :(

Sorry for the long post and the not so great English. :)

yea i agree. the keepers make me so furious sometimes. i personally feel slapped in the face that a respectable company like konami would release such blatant flaws in a "next-gen" game. and to have the nerve to say pes 2009 will be even better shows that they knew they f*cked up this time around

The facts of PES2008 (in my opinion):

vs COM medium level: Too easy (I can´t believe some are actually getting conclusions of playing vs COM on medium level :-s)

vs COM top level: COM handles physics the way it wants, ball ends up ALWAYS on closest COM player :-k. This ain´t new of course, so I´m not really surprised, I won´t play against COM this year just like I never ever did.

1P vs 2P: best football simulator, better experience/gameplay than previous series, so I´m gonna stay playing this game with my friends all year, no doubt about it.

Conclusion: Play 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 and you´ll enjoy this game for sure (if what you want is a football simulator of course)

:)

My view after several matches..

Like:

- the new graphics (firstly I wasn't much of a fan of them, but since I tried PES6 after having PES2008...you can't even compare..)

- the fact that you can, finally, send your big center backs up on set pieces and corners

- how physical and realistic the match can be..there's a lot more contact between players, like in real football

- the stadiums are awesome

- the gameplay is enjoyable on some exhibition matches, when the game's speed is right

- now, the opposition offers us some changelling moments comparing to last PES...and I think that our CPU players have better movements overall, opening lines to pass

- needs to be confirmed, but I think this year you can play something close to a CL on the master league, with home and away matches on group stage

Dislike:

- how unfinished it is, and how lazy they seemed in some aspects

- lack of new features...this is getting ridiculous...we have the same options we had on PES3...it's just unnaceptable

- the inumerous features they took out of the game instead of adding new ones (no more team/player stats, Others C on Master League - why would we want 20 second division teams on ML, then? - home and away friendlies, and many more...as you already know. Most of them, simple things

- So few stadiums

- So few teams...If they can give us Other C, why not Others D, E and F...since they don't want to spend money on licenses...at least we could have a couple more teams..

- goalkeepers, even though they seem better than in demo, they still parry too much, making some really strange saves/goals

- and finally, the two things that totally ruin the game for me:

+ game's speed...(specially on ML and cup&leagues, where all players start running like hell, turning the game into a pinball experience

+ you can simply pick the ball on your own area and run straight till the opposite goal line almos anytime you want. A guy will follow you, trying to push your shirt (which I think it was very badly implemented) and his teammates will just go back looking at both of them. It's like someone said, you can build up play, but that's just you fooling yourself trying to get a former PES experience. You just have to run...specially when the game plays fast.

Absolutely agree with the comments above.

And I'm happy, that some people are still dealing with game play. Others are only complaining about kits, menu music, boots, turfs, missing cameras How the fuck cares, if the game play is ruined?

Fuck game testers, and reviewers. All of them complained, that the game play is the best far (even in the reviews where pes got low points)

WTF were you looking at, how many matches did you play ? I really hope that Konami will release some gameplay patches, but I doubt it, because the idiot journalists overrated the gameplay a lot, and the game is also selling well. Because of the misled fans. I was fortunate, because I only downloaded it before release. But I bought the guide, so I paid konami in some way. If they fix this issues maybe I will buy it.

My view after several matches..

Like:

- the new graphics (firstly I wasn't much of a fan of them, but since I tried PES6 after having PES2008...you can't even compare..)

- the fact that you can, finally, send your big center backs up on set pieces and corners

- how physical and realistic the match can be..there's a lot more contact between players, like in real football

- the stadiums are awesome

- the gameplay is enjoyable on some exhibition matches, when the game's speed is right

- now, the opposition offers us some changelling moments comparing to last PES...and I think that our CPU players have better movements overall, opening lines to pass

- needs to be confirmed, but I think this year you can play something close to a CL on the master league, with home and away matches on group stage

Dislike:

- how unfinished it is, and how lazy they seemed in some aspects

- lack of new features...this is getting ridiculous...we have the same options we had on PES3...it's just unnaceptable

- the inumerous features they took out of the game instead of adding new ones (no more team/player stats, Others C on Master League - why would we want 20 second division teams on ML, then? - home and away friendlies, and many more...as you already know. Most of them, simple things

- So few stadiums

- So few teams...If they can give us Other C, why not Others D, E and F...since they don't want to spend money on licenses...at least we could have a couple more teams..

- goalkeepers, even though they seem better than in demo, they still parry too much, making some really strange saves/goals

- and finally, the two things that totally ruin the game for me:

+ game's speed...(specially on ML and cup&leagues, where all players start running like hell, turning the game into a pinball experience

+ you can simply pick the ball on your own area and run straight till the opposite goal line almos anytime you want. A guy will follow you, trying to push your shirt (which I think it was very badly implemented) and his teammates will just go back looking at both of them. It's like someone said, you can build up play, but that's just you fooling yourself trying to get a former PES experience. You just have to run...specially when the game plays fast.

sorry i disagree no way is the actual gameplay game better looking than a fully patched up pes6 only the cutscenes are better

Erm you forgot terrible keeper AI
Almost every tackle is a foul
Winning the ball withing 25 yards of either side of the pitch the ball will always go out of play via a rebound << this is the most annoying for me
LAck of seperate chants now both chants will play at same time no fixing this
Lack of 16:10 support all my players look tall and thin like crouch no matter which resolution fix i use.

I could go on and on but can't be bothered anymore.

Last edited:
Do you guys play ML on Top player and very hard ?

that running through the entire team just doesnt work lol

my only gripes with the game are

When you score a goal the crowd dont cheer loud enough lol,
The balls suck but that can be sorted out,
EPL ofcourse,
Stamina on ML

the last one is the worst the ammount of stamina loss early on is almost imposssible to deal with

Back
Top Bottom