I'm trying so hard to like PES2008....

nathcrow

Non-League
3 June 2006
...I've been playing it a few days but it's just not happening for me this year. I know there's always the usual moans and gripes when a new version comes out, I'm usually the first to say "give it week and you'll love it", but this time it just doesn't 'feel' like PES. It plays horribly, all the realism in terms of player movement and ball physics are gone, it feels soul-less and just, well, wrong.
I'm gutted tbh, I was looking forward to it & wanted it to be great, but it's fucking horrible, Seabass has ripped the soul out of it.

Goalkeepers too are killing the game , the amount of parrys they either push the ball into the net or back out onto on coming players. Yes it happens in real life but like all things Konami try there is no half way house its either in all its parry parry parry parry or its out..

They seldom hold a shot , its under them through them or parried into the net by them or out to oncoming players.

if it was 50/50 it might not be to bad but its something like 80/20, you hit a decent shot and they can't hold it..

I feel the game is 100x better.

At first I wasnt liking it, but after playing it on my buddy's two-week old PC, I realized how great this game really is. The ball and player movement, the strategy, the atmosphere, the realism in passing (no longer are they aim here and it gets there spot on). Oh man, what a game.

Give it some time, I absolutely hated the game for the last two days and resolved that I wouldn't be playing PES this year... this morning I picked it up and played for 10 hours straight.. unlocked some classic players and team.. now i'm just waiting for premiership kits and other sweet patches to start my ML. I actually went back and played some pes6 and I was suprised to realise that I enjoy playing pes 2008 more than pes6, and if features like kit selecting, etc... are added by patchmakers I can safely uninstall pes6
so yeah give it some time, hopefully the same thing will happen for you

Last edited:
I feel the game is 100x better.

At first I wasnt liking it, but after playing it on my buddy's two-week old PC, I realized how great this game really is. The ball and player movement, the strategy, the atmosphere, the realism in passing (no longer are they aim here and it gets there spot on). Oh man, what a game.

Agreed, I'm loving it mate!!

Yes the passing is better , though I would argue on Human team AI not being up to what is required. There is to big a gap between players on the human side and they don't come to support the player on the ball, they stand in there positions and make runs from there and this has you running more with the ball than you should.

Keeper as above ..

L1 change player control, this needs to be opened up more to have more than 2 players near the ball. I see it all the time , your on the ball a tackle comes in and knocks the ball away you have a player in the path of the ball you hit L1 and some other player in your team highlights and the cpu is away with the ball.

And its worse when defending, cpu backs or midfielders running from there own half, your hitting L1 time and time again and its your players (forwards?) running from behind to catch up that the icon is jumping between when you hit L1. This causes goals or creates space for the cpu and the wrong player highlight when you have others in better positions.

This cpu picking which of your team to highlight when you press L1 aslo messes up passing. You on the ball, your facing in the park to lay off the ball to an oncoming team mate. You tab the pass button and the control icon jumps from the player passing the ball onto some forward someway inside the box and at a different angle, your player turns away from who you were wanting to pass to and hit the ball into the forward.

The game is still the best football game out there but there is a hell of a lot needs to be worked on to make this a true next gen game.

The base of football is passing, if you can't pass the ball where YOU want and not where the cpu decides to make you pass to then it will not move forward.

I can only hope seabass's BIG BIG changes for PES2009 mean that at last we can put the ball where we want and not where the cpu wants it to go..

game is ok nothing more..

Last edited:
Give it some time, I absolutely hated the game for the last two days and resolved that I wouldn't be playing PES this year... this morning I picked it up and played for 10 hours straight.. unlocked some classic players and team.. now i'm just waiting for premiership kits and other sweet patches to start my ML. I actually went back and played some pes6 and I was suprised to realise that I enjoy playing pes 2008 more than pes6, and if features like kit selecting, etc... are added by patchmakers I can safely uninstall pes6

similar, but maybe not as big jump, i liked it but thought it wasnt feeling right, played it today loved it:)

i think with the new passing system is to easy to play. in top player on a 20 minutes match time, i win with a 5,6 goals difference, every match

i think with the new passing system is to easy to play. in top player on a 20 minutes match time, i win with a 5,6 goals difference, every match
yea but comp has always been easy to beat, i think the improved off ball movement and passing system is gonna rock online

i find it very difficult to beat the cpu on top player with the default ml team (10min)
my highest win was 3:0 but most times i loose or play divided.
in the break of the first season i bought two new players but they always have a purple arrow down

That makes no sense stupid.

LOL likewise. i am begining to like this game just a tad bit more and i do notice that the AI on my team actualy makes runs unlike pes6 when they are all static and had to rely heavily on one two's to make your players make runs.

still the game feels more arcadie then fifa and is alot easier on top player in comparision to the legend mode in fifa. infact top player seems like im playing semi pro level on fifa.

i managed to get rid of the slow downs by ticking the frame skipping box and now it plays fine at an average fps of 30-40 which aint too bad. the speed of the game needs to be heavily reduced because as of now its too fast and arcadie for me. so far i feel fifa is slightly better then pes this year has even fifa has some annoying bugs like the slow response in passing

I just spent the last hour playing this game after reading this thread and I'm still not happy. The jerseys look like shit compared to it's predecessors. The players still show no emotion. And it's like playing with mute people they don't even open there mouths. The goalies ruin my entire experience. I used to suck at PES6 on Pro and Top Player but now I can win with ease thanks to the goalies but my goalie can't do anything right. The CPU will shoot from 45 M out and will score because of horrendous positioning! The commentary has been improved and now it has one of my fave things in "Dive". The speed is just way to quick IMO.

You said it.

At first, when I played my first PES 2008 game, I think "Is it a soccer game? Am I playing NFL now?" I just feel that it's a football game -- you know, the American football, using the hands instead of feet.

But after I played about 20 matches, I change my mind. I just said to myself: Wow, what a game, it's the best game I have even played. Although there are some bugs in it, it's a great game also.

...I've been playing it a few days but it's just not happening for me this year. I know there's always the usual moans and gripes when a new version comes out, I'm usually the first to say "give it week and you'll love it", but this time it just doesn't 'feel' like PES. It plays horribly, all the realism in terms of player movement and ball physics are gone, it feels soul-less and just, well, wrong.
I'm gutted tbh, I was looking forward to it & wanted it to be great, but it's fucking horrible, Seabass has ripped the soul out of it.

Go ask mammy for a cuddle son!!!:lmao:

I've got beer on ice and i'm gonna give it a good playing tonight and tommorrow, but tbh I tried 3 games last night and quit them all in frustration/disgust, as I said in my orig post it just doesn't feel right.
Whereas when PES6 came out last year I spent a week enjoying getting to grips with it, when I loaded PES6 up for the first time I thought "Hmm, its a lot different, but I can see where Seabass is going with this". This time around I honestly don't think its for me.
My main problems are... the pace of the game, too fast after the slow, more realistic, build up play of PES6. The ball physics seem all wrong, very unrealistic. I HATE the player running animation, it looks absolutely awful & You know when you are running with the ball, you get the sound effect every time your player touches the ball (tap...tap...tap...tap...tap), that sound is annoying the hell out of me too. Oh, & the performance issues(slowdown etc etc).

As I said I'm determined to give it a chance and i'm going to play the hell out of it over the weekend. If you enjoy it then good for you, I wish I felt the same. But at the moment I'm pleased I haven't uninstalled PES6 yet

My friend, you are not the only one that had that feeling when first playing the new PES.
However, i have the impression that on a high-end pc the game will give the player the feeling we have been used to all these years. Does this mean you (and not only) have to get a new graphics card? Probably yes.
It's not a perfect game and, according to my taste, it is not exactly what i expected, but we have to admit that it's a more realistic and much more "detailed" game than the previous of the series...

Nathcrow, I think once you get online and play with real AI - Actual Intelligence (although for some people that is questionable) I think you will like it. I played a mate who came over today and its so much more fun. I'm sure you and many others will come round to loving the game!!

I should be releasing an OF at some point that sorts out the keepers and tightens up the defences.

we are looking forward to your option file (PS2 PES2008 i mean) - all through last year we played PES6 with your option file and tweaking was perfect... thanks for that...

a friend brought PES2008 from holland (here in turkey its a fortune) and we had some games last night, all agains human players, defence and goalkeepers seemed to be very easy to defeat, making stupid mistakes. that definitely has to be adjusted. we had games like 5-3, 7-4...

also the passing, it didnt seem that they were headed where we were directing. lastly, the cursor change, i normally play manual hwr when i press L1, i can not pick the correct player but someone in a more ackward position, then i click again but too late, my mate goes along with the ball. i had to increase it to semi-auto level 2...

all those made me think of PS2 game being a bit arcadish. i know its the best game to date and we are gonna get used to it but still :)

chimp c'mon man, hurry up and hit us with your option file...
cheers

Yes the passing is better , though I would argue on Human team AI not being up to what is required. There is to big a gap between players on the human side and they don't come to support the player on the ball, they stand in there positions and make runs from there and this has you running more with the ball than you should.

Keeper as above ..

L1 change player control, this needs to be opened up more to have more than 2 players near the ball. I see it all the time , your on the ball a tackle comes in and knocks the ball away you have a player in the path of the ball you hit L1 and some other player in your team highlights and the cpu is away with the ball.

And its worse when defending, cpu backs or midfielders running from there own half, your hitting L1 time and time again and its your players (forwards?) running from behind to catch up that the icon is jumping between when you hit L1. This causes goals or creates space for the cpu and the wrong player highlight when you have others in better positions.

This cpu picking which of your team to highlight when you press L1 aslo messes up passing. You on the ball, your facing in the park to lay off the ball to an oncoming team mate. You tab the pass button and the control icon jumps from the player passing the ball onto some forward someway inside the box and at a different angle, your player turns away from who you were wanting to pass to and hit the ball into the forward.

The game is still the best football game out there but there is a hell of a lot needs to be worked on to make this a true next gen game.

The base of football is passing, if you can't pass the ball where YOU want and not where the cpu decides to make you pass to then it will not move forward.

I can only hope seabass's BIG BIG changes for PES2009 mean that at last we can put the ball where we want and not where the cpu wants it to go..

game is ok nothing more..

rock solid words, man!
i definitely agree with you!
the player changing..
the screwed up AI that u can see the most of it when ur defending
suicidle messed up Goalkeepers...
ball goes through players(like ghosts) sometimes and its annoying

so many bugs to fix...

Chimps - what utility are you using to edit the option file? I can't seem to figure it out. This game needs some game play editing.

Last edited:

you are so right... i agree with every word you said dude..:\

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom