GTR evo(PC) best racing sim

Been playing a bit of this 2day, however i don't think i'll be playing much more, it's back to EVO on PC.

The good: Great control over the cars using the wheel with lots of tweeks that can be made so an ideal feel can be achieved, it really does feel like your more in control than say the twichy over sensitive Forza. That is about where the good ends at least for me.

The Bad: Poor gfx and framerate it's meant to be 30fps which int that good to start with, however there are times that it must be as low as 20fps esp in corners with other cars and then there is some bad gfx tearing again when cornering.Can't set your fuel load b4 a race,i turned on fuel and tire wear did a 20 lap race and every car pitted on lap 15, so a lot of the strategy is gone there,and there is no screen info outside the cockpit regarding fuel and tires.Can set it to dry or wet race but not changeable. No virtual rear mirror in bonet cam i know this wasn't in forza either but it is on PC Evo.

Sorry to be negative guess comming from the PC vesion dosn't suit, i'm use to running Evo maxed out at constant 60fps with a choice of 70 or so tracks. Peeps that havn't played the pc version will probs find a lot to like here it's just that it looks Shabby, if it had Forza'a gfx,fps,and polish this could of been so much more.

besides the looks what else is wrong with this game? sorry btu graphics are not everything. gameplay comes first for some people especially if your looking for a proper racing sim. not some need for speed/GRID arcade racer.

Look at the original game that this thread was based on. looks like a ps2 game but drives alot more realistic then GT5p and Forza 2. Try it, you may like it if your into racing sims.

I will wait for the demo, but after reading the GamesTM review, I was basing my points on it, I aint flogging out my hard earned for some 5/10 game (Killzone and FEAR2 both got 8's) before I get to try a demo, or maybe when it gets reduced in price. I was happy enough at the review, so I'm leaving it at that.

Been playing a bit of this 2day, however i don't think i'll be playing much more, it's back to EVO on PC.

The good: Great control over the cars using the wheel with lots of tweeks that can be made so an ideal feel can be achieved, it really does feel like your more in control than say the twichy over sensitive Forza. That is about where the good ends at least for me.

The Bad: Poor gfx and framerate it's meant to be 30fps which int that good to start with, however there are times that it must be as low as 20fps esp in corners with other cars and then there is some bad gfx tearing again when cornering.Can't set your fuel load b4 a race,i turned on fuel and tire wear did a 20 lap race and every car pitted on lap 15, so a lot of the strategy is gone there,and there is no screen info outside the cockpit regarding fuel and tires.Can set it to dry or wet race but not changeable. No virtual rear mirror in bonet cam i know this wasn't in forza either but it is on PC Evo.

Sorry to be negative guess comming from the PC vesion dosn't suit, i'm use to running Evo maxed out at constant 60fps with a choice of 70 or so tracks. Peeps that havn't played the pc version will probs find a lot to like here it's just that it looks Shabby, if it had Forza'a gfx,fps,and polish this could of been so much more.

Thanks for your comments. Good to hear the handling is decent. Not overly concerned about gfx issues, unless they're in-your-face bad. I wouldn't be surprised if problems keeping the fps up was a major reason for delaying the demo.

Any opinions on the AI behaviour?

Thinking about the typical AI flaws in racing games, do they all slow down at the first corner and you can pass half the field? So many racers have this fundamental flaw.

Are they competitive?

Are they worth racing against?

Are they aggressive?

Do they make errors?

Do they ever overtake you (other than when you make a big mistake)?

Do they race in a procession, sticking perfectly to the racing line like on rails?

Do they overtake each other?

Does every collision result in you always coming off the worst?

Is damage any good and does it affect car performance?

Are there terminal crashes, ie. you crash so bad that your car can't go on?

Do AI cars suffer mechanical problems or ever crash?

I played GTR and GTR2.

I did not like GTR Evolution as none of the cars are actual race cars compared to the prevous two editions.

GTR and GTR2 are incredibly realistic, though could do with tweaks on engine noises for instance ie the Murcielago.

You need a decent wheel ie Lofitech Momo to feel the true experience (some gamers go for a force reaction cockpit as well).

All the data has been taken from previous GTR championships but it would be nice if SimBin moved onto GTR3 as they still have the rights and updated the championship to 2007/8 at least.

Needless to say its bloody hard to win even on semi-pro as you bump up the opposition's aggression and competence and impossible on Pro I find.

Would be nice if they had the pit crews more lifelike and wipers in the rain.

People complain about fps and to really enjoy the graphics and full fields you need a high end card.

I used to have problems with a full field in the wet at night say at Spa in the infield section on my old XP system nut the new Vista and NVIDIA graphics card make it a doddle with no lag and loss of frame rate.

Fantastic sim .Hopefully the new Codemasters F1 game will match up in terms of sim accuracy rather than going the arcade route.

A great site for mods, additional files, tracks, new cars, graphics, even a sexy American team controller can be found at:
http://www.nogripracing.com/index.php
http://www.gtr4u.de/jgs_db.php?action=show&eintrags_id=3389&sid=

Its very easy to mod the game.

Re crashes Winston you can set the damage sensitivity from 0-100% so if you juts want an arcade type game , no collision or crash will affect you right up to 100% where a slight bump can lead to a puncture.

Or your lights might become smashed and if you re night racing say at Bathurst it can become a real problem.

For real petrolheads theer an infinite number of ways to set up your car dependent on the track and ambient weather conditions ie tyre pressure, level above ground, degree of toe in on the front wheels etc etc.

You also have to calculate your pit stops and fuel load in order to complete the race or make pit stops because I initially used to run out of fuel at times just before a planned pit.

However the damage visually represented is not that great ie your bonnet may come off or your panels dented ,but high speed impacts with yoru car flying into the sky are most unrealistic.

Hopefully if SimBin apply themselves to GTR3 with a new code the damage graphics wil become more realistic as in the next gen graphics of current racing games.

It is nice to race part off parked cars though but I guess when they go missing on the next lap is down to them being craned away.

You will need a high spec PC to get the best out of the game. Many real life motor racers use it to hone their skills.

Back
Top Bottom