God Of War 3 (PS3)

You seriously think that all they did in the year plus since that old demo is shine up the graphics a bit? That's it? No new levels or bosses or characters or abilities? Just a year sat at their computers improving graphics?

Seriously?

Did you like the previous GOW games at all?

I'm guessing that maybe your problem is the opening sequence in this year old demo isn't offering anything more than the same button bashing/QTE formula that won so many fans with the first 2 games.

Well for arguments sake let's say you are correct. The rest of the entire game offers nothing more than that, but you know, if it ain't broke..... I can't think of any valid reasons why they should reinvent the game for the 3rd title and risk upsetting the hardcore fan base they've built up - just to get some brownie points for reinventing themselves. ESPECIALLY as the game is a beat em up.

You mentioned Killzone 2 and Uncharted earlier... how did they reinvent the wheel themselves to be deemed so great? Killzone is still behind other FPS games like Halo and Modern Warfare and offered nothing 'new' to the genre and Uncharted 2 hardly offered anything we haven't seen elsewhere in other games.

The only thing that will change is they will tweak the graphics even more. The graphics are already good, but its the gameplay, I would have thought they would have introduced more into the gameplay. This game will probably get 11/10 from most reviewers, and they will say its pushed the PS3 to its limit. But I'am not buying into it, this game won't deserve the praise its going to get, because underneath those shiny graphics, its a basic game that offers nothing new. We should expect more from our games than this, especially from the ones that were deemed so important to the PS3.

Gaming is ultimately an experience for you to enjoy...

I personally really enjoyed both God Of War's on the PS2... they gave me hours of fun and escapism...

Yes, it's not the most mentally challenging of games, it's a little on rails, can be deemed to be a glorified button basher etc...

BUT.... It looks glorious still now on the PS2, is still a blast to pick up and play, has brilliant atmosphere etc...

Assasins Creed 2 has so much freedom and scope but I got bored of it very quickly... doesn't mean it's not a great game, it really is, just different to the God Of War series...

I'll be buying GOW3, and if it disappoints me, I'll trade it for something else and move on.

I don't buy into theories such as we should expect more from our games... It's a video game... nothing more... there designed to entertain us, and make the manufacturers money...

You seriously think that all they did in the year plus since that old demo is shine up the graphics a bit? That's it? No new levels or bosses or characters or abilities? Just a year sat at their computers improving graphics?

Seriously?

Did you like the previous GOW games at all?

I'm guessing that maybe your problem is the opening sequence in this year old demo isn't offering anything more than the same button bashing/QTE formula that won so many fans with the first 2 games.

Well for arguments sake let's say you are correct. The rest of the entire game offers nothing more than that, but you know, if it ain't broke..... I can't think of any valid reasons why they should reinvent the game for the 3rd title and risk upsetting the hardcore fan base they've built up - just to get some brownie points for reinventing themselves. ESPECIALLY as the game is a beat em up.

You mentioned Killzone 2 and Uncharted earlier... how did they reinvent the wheel themselves to be deemed so great? Killzone is still behind other FPS games like Halo and Modern Warfare and offered nothing 'new' to the genre and Uncharted 2 hardly offered anything we haven't seen elsewhere in other games.

I just thought with this being a Flagship game for Sony, they would do something different and new with it. Yes I have only seen a bit of the game, but so have you, I am willing to hazard a guess that what I have seen will be pretty much the formula in the final game, X X X X L1 O O, then a mid boss, then a big boss with QTE, and I am sure it will all look fantastic.

It was never really on my radar, but I started to read up on it (hard not to) and thought I would give it a try. Anyway its not for me, I am just giving my opinion, maybe from a different angle, because I expected more than a better looking PS2 game. For those who are happy with button bashing with QTE wrapped in nice graphics then your not going to be disappointed. I just think they missed out on a chance to encourage new fans.

Uncharted 2 did offer something new, it offered multi player. Yes it stole bits from previous games, like tomb raider and even gears of war, but the way it was put together was the reason it stood out so much. Its still the best 1 player experience so far, and I still play the multi player.

Killzone 2 is still very underrated, it plays nothing like COD, and its meant to be that way. Behind COD, well thats your opinion. COD in comparison is an arcade game, there is a lot of skill involved in Killzone. I like both, but I would not compare them, they may fall in the same class, but they are totally different.

Im just playing through the God of War Collection on PS3 right now. These games along with the short demo of God of War 3 really do indicate what a fantastic series of games this is. My pre order for GOW 3 has now been cemented.

The demo is technically great and I will buy the game surely when it's out. BUT, I wish they had innovated a little and added more variety and new things to the gameplay. The demo as it is, it's just the same game with better graphics. Not a bad thing, because previous games were great, but even if I enjoyed the demo, there was the feeling of deja vu all over. Let's hope the final product feels more inspired from the creativity pov.

IGN score leaked(rumour)http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/03/04/ign-god-of-war-iii-review-leaked/
gowign.png

1UP
God of War 3 is the most balanced. It's not quite as focused as GOW1, nor is it as lengthy and moment-packed as GOW2, but it's the most consistent and varied of the three, and when it's at its best the first two can't touch it.

Games Radar (in-house)
While not a huge leap forward for the franchise, God of War III refines its already-fun gameplay to near-perfection while delivering the clever puzzles, high production values and pure, rage-fueled brutality fans expect. Add a memorable cast of characters and buckets of gore, and Kratos’s last adventure is also his best yet.

Game Informer
Not even in my wildest dreams could I have imagined such a powerful, cinematic, and breathtaking conclusion to the saga of the Ghost of Sparta.

IGN AU
Even if God of War III isn't going to cause a massive rethink on the way you play action-heavy platformers, Kratos has earned an enviable position at the head of his genre's ladder - and we don't think there's going to be another hero quite like him, in a series as consistently outstanding as this, for a very long time.

IGN UK
For all God of War III's familiarity, it's a game refined with such grace and skill, there's no question that this is the absolute pinnacle of an already exhilarating series. Sure, it's a smaller, leaner beast than its predecessors but, as it happens, one that packs an absolutely unforgettable punch.

IGN
It's not perfect, with some uneven storytelling and progression here and there, but it's still a fantastic overall package. The combat is stellar once again, it's bloodier than ever, and it is at times the best looking game ever released.

Computer and Video Games
An epic, over-sized gorefest unlike any other. Sorry EA, Kratos is still the king of brutal brawlers.

GameTrailers
It's incredibly familiar and a bit brief, but God of War III still stands as a herculean achievement. A lot of TLC went into its creation and it comes shining through at every turn. The tweaks to the gameplay are minimal and the lack of titan interaction feels like a missed opportunity, but when Kratos is swinging his hypnotizing blades it's easy to forget that the rest of the world even exists.

GameSpot
Exhilarating combat and an imposing sense of scale provide a fitting end to Kratos' saga.

I played the demo and can't see how this gets such a high score

Its just a buttons masher when there are loads of people to fight and it was all going too fast to even see the animations or what he's doing

I see no fun in button mashing

Not long left now.

I managed to finish the first GOW the other day and it was just as good as I remembered, the boss battles were still all fun and the huge enemies were still awesome to tackle. The only annoying bit was a few dodgy cameras and some of the puzzle rooms just had to stuck looking around not sure where the hell to go.

I'm going to start on the second one this week and try to get through it before Friday.

YouTube - Kevin Butler - God Of War 3 'It Only Does Epic Trilogies' - HD

Last edited:
Its been out here for almost a week now but I didn't get it, because FFXIII and Yakuza 3 were out as well and had to pick two, so thought I'd leave GOW 3 for later til its cheaper.

So, no one has bought the game and is playing it? Seems strange to me how quiet is this thread with the game already launched.

My brothers JUST had his copy fall through the letter box as he was on the phone to me. The rest of us won't get it until tomorrow (release date for EU).

I just finished the 2nd game this morning and I forgot what a high the game finishes on. I'm so frigging pumped for tomorrow now.

Just completed both God of War I and II from the Collection. Fantastic games. Cant wait for 3 now. Will most likely pick it up tomorrow from BlockBusters.

Pretty good early brief on another messageboard :

Ok brieftly. It's ridiculous. Not going to spoil anything but the graphics are just unreal. You put the disc on and are confronted with menu screen which in itself is awesome. Just unbelievable. The things that are going on the back ground whilst you're fighting are spectacular. I find myself stopping to admire the effort that's gone into the smallest details. Two hours in and I am just loving it to a point where I've put my other ps3 games away. You guys are gonna love this. Truly lives up to it's hype.

Quite easily the most jaw dropping video game I've played in all my 25 or so years playing video games...

The cinematic atmosphere it thrusts you into from the moment the disc boots up is incredible...

Very happy with my purchase so far...

Back
Top Bottom