God Of War 3 (PS3)

Good offer this, but I can't see anyone from here trading their Heavy Rain copy. They're so into it. Check the Heavy Rain thread and you'll know what I mean :LOL:

WOW!!!!!

THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST LOOKING VIDEO GAME EVER!

Really, God of War 3 knocks out the likes of Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain and even Killzone 2 in the graphics department. I have never witnessed a game look this good. It looks like a mixture of CGI and moving artwork. Without spoiling, the beginning is one of the most epic in any video game. I really did not expect such great graphics. Compared to the E3 2009 demo on PSN its like night & day. The animations are fluid and life like and you can see Kratos muscles pulsating. This along with other titles on PS3 such as MLB: The Show highlight how this console truly is the most capable in terms of raw power. If you enjoyed God of War 1 & 2 you will love this. If you havent played them before, go get the Collection and God of War 3 now. Trust me you will not be disappointed. It has already rocketed to GOTY contender in just 30 minutes playtime. 2010 is going to be a great year for gaming! :)

I have this game at home just waiting for it to be played in due time. I've been busy with battlefield and Dantes Inferno which I M enjoying a whole lot at the moment. Also, I can't play it like I want to at night with my surround sound crancked up due to my neighbors complaining. I will need to take a day off from work to play this gem.

WWWWWWWWOOOOWWWW!

I agree with Billy's comments about cgi/in game - the way you can be moving alone and something just awesome is going on around you... that stuff must have been insanely difficult to put together. And they claim that nothing is 'cgi' as its all using the in game engine.

Insane - I'm just past the 2nd boss now and it;s started to slightly calm down a little after the opening moments. I'm hoping this is the calm before the storm though and it doesn't have COD 2 syndrome with the DD opening level and then everything after seemed less and less exciting.

Just bought this at lunch time. Was also tempted by the Guide book (which was roughly the same size as the Fallout 3 book, which is promising, but I highly doubt it's anywhere even near the scale or depth as F3). Still, looking forward to playing.

Nah no way you'd need a guide for this. The only thing worth using a guide for is those chests with the feathers and so on in to increase your health but you'll find lists of those location on somewhere like gamefaqs

The God of War Collection has finally been dated for Europe.

UK, Ireland, Germany and Austria get the game on 30th April; Australia and New Zealand get the game on 29th April; and the remaining PAL territories get the game on 28th April.

Just completed it! Overall a fantastic game, in my opinion its the best of the series. Its somewhat short clocking in at 10-12 hours to complete and the ending isn't the best. But the whole game is just epic. Another fantastic addition to the PS3 but of all the titles released so far this year Heavy Rain is still in top spot for me. :)

I had a quick blast last night. It's pretty fast paced, isn't it? Seems to be something happening everywhere and the camera panning around to different locations and viewpoints is incredible. I've just reached Poseidon. I'm sure this isn't a spoiler, but bloody hell some of the enemies and bad guys are absolutely huge!

this game is insane - have only taken a quick view into the game, cause i have to finish other games first. but the first impressions were absolutely amazing. this will be one of the highlights this year.
btw. in the beginning of 2010 is like christmas - a lot of high-quality games have been released so far... :)

This seems to get better and better. I've just met Helios (Sun God), but I won't spoil it for others who've yet to encounter him.

It's got a few issues with the jumping in certain situations, the camera angles certainly don't help. You can run towards a wall and your legs continue with their running animation even though you can't actually go anywhere. But those finicky points aside, it's just a good, fun and very involving game, and graphically it's excellent. Ok, it's a typical run around, hack and slash fest with a few puzzles thrown in. But it does exactly what it says on the tin, and the unlockable and upgradeable weapons give it even more appeal.

Great stuff.

Hades was a right pain in the arus to get rid of. I'd definitely recommend upgrading the Blades of Exile to level 2.

great game - now I have finished for first time.

i would recommend to level up the blades of exile before upgrading any other weapon. i like the gloves - fighting with those is funny !!!

Well, I finished it this weekend. It started pretty spectacular :SHOCK:, but quickly fell into mediocrity to me . I finished the game a bit bored. :YAWN:

I played in Titan difficulty, so there were times when it was hard, but not hard depending on my skills, but hard depending on random efficacy of combos.

Overall, I find this game has the best graphics I've seen, but storytelling is poor and gameplay felt "old", in the "boring" way. I mean, the design of levels wasn't great at all for the most part. If all the game had had the brilliance of the titan levels, it would have been awesome. But it isn't.

Plus, most boss battles take place in very limited spaces, which is lame, and most of the time it's only a button mashing affair, without using the environment at all (in previous God of wars, the boss battles were much original and fun) or any creative gameplay twist. Often the game simply throws a lot of enemies to you and it feels that they are "filler" for that corridor. Or you're just in a closed space and enemies spawn.

Puzzles are no brainers. And the camera... well, there is not any reason for that awful camera work. I got annoyed of having no control of the camera... again in this series. But this time it was worse, often I wanted to go back and I couldn't see where I was going at all or where I was going to jump. And died 2 or 3 times because of it. They should have worked a lot more on that, allowing different cameras depending on where are you going.

Controls are not as sharp as they should be, specially taking into account that once a combo is started, you can't break it. It makes combat quirky. Oh, yes, is a button masher, but there's little room for real skill or cretivity once you reach combats with 20 enemies in a 60 square meters room. It gets messy and hardly fun. I would prefer a more "strategical" combat system with less enemies and playing more with environments and different ways to combat different types of enemies.

Game design is just practical, nothing more. If the game had focused on the titans...

Besides, there's no fairness at all in the game design: enemies won't usually be affected by your hits and most of them will carry their attack animation anyway. On the other hand, when you are hit, you player stumbles for some time. But to level things a little, enemies only know to go straight to you and attack, so predictability is high. Then there's the odd hit detection, specially with big bosses, when you clearly are far from the scorpion tail (for example) but you are hit anyway or when another boss runs to you end even if you are in mid-air jumping, you end up suddenly grabbed by the boss on the next frames...

All in all, a technical beast with brutal graphics, animations and sound, but gameplay wise adds nothing good to the series while looses some key aspects, specially originality and fun. And it doesn't matter if it's a sequel, GOW 2 was already a sequel and improved the first one.

Conclusion: At times it hinters with awesomness but at the end falls rather flat and uninspired. Definitely a rental.

PS: I know I may sound just too picky, but after playing Demon's souls my bar for combat in games has raised considerably, specially on the "Fairness" and "strategy" department. And even if they are different game genres, I think gow 3 crew just did a soul-less sequel (hence the connection with demon's souls). :COAT:

I need to get into Deamon's Soul. My brother let me borrow his copy along with some other games but I started playing Afrika, NBA 2K10 and Way of the Samurai 3 first.

I've weirdly got into PES 2010 recently as well. No idea why but I had a quick play a few or 2 ago with a friend online with all the default kits looking horrid. I enjoyed it somehow and it didn't feel as bad as i remember and now im hooked on it.

I must be losing it.

Picked this up earlier today ... a bit manic isn't it?! :SHOCK: :LOL:

Not far into it at all ...

Just killed Poseiden
... but playing on medium level is still quite punishing considering it's the start of the game, the bosses can be pretty tough!

Looks superb and the amount of detail going on is brilliant.

i don't think so - i almost forgot that bonus clip of gow I...
the idea is nice, but i can't imagine how gow should work in present - as it's all about greek mythology...

Basically my kind of game.I beat the game and being a casual fan of the series, I think it is the best in the series. The game difficulty I feel is pretty good. The puzzles are easy but enough thinking where it wasn't completel pointless. Near the end I was wishing it would just get over with and felt kind of drawn out.

Well, I finished it this weekend. It started pretty spectacular :SHOCK:, but quickly fell into mediocrity to me . I finished the game a bit bored. :YAWN:

I played in Titan difficulty, so there were times when it was hard, but not hard depending on my skills, but hard depending on random efficacy of combos.

Overall, I find this game has the best graphics I've seen, but storytelling is poor and gameplay felt "old", in the "boring" way. I mean, the design of levels wasn't great at all for the most part. If all the game had had the brilliance of the titan levels, it would have been awesome. But it isn't.

Plus, most boss battles take place in very limited spaces, which is lame, and most of the time it's only a button mashing affair, without using the environment at all (in previous God of wars, the boss battles were much original and fun) or any creative gameplay twist. Often the game simply throws a lot of enemies to you and it feels that they are "filler" for that corridor. Or you're just in a closed space and enemies spawn.

Puzzles are no brainers. And the camera... well, there is not any reason for that awful camera work. I got annoyed of having no control of the camera... again in this series. But this time it was worse, often I wanted to go back and I couldn't see where I was going at all or where I was going to jump. And died 2 or 3 times because of it. They should have worked a lot more on that, allowing different cameras depending on where are you going.

Controls are not as sharp as they should be, specially taking into account that once a combo is started, you can't break it. It makes combat quirky. Oh, yes, is a button masher, but there's little room for real skill or cretivity once you reach combats with 20 enemies in a 60 square meters room. It gets messy and hardly fun. I would prefer a more "strategical" combat system with less enemies and playing more with environments and different ways to combat different types of enemies.

Game design is just practical, nothing more. If the game had focused on the titans...

Besides, there's no fairness at all in the game design: enemies won't usually be affected by your hits and most of them will carry their attack animation anyway. On the other hand, when you are hit, you player stumbles for some time. But to level things a little, enemies only know to go straight to you and attack, so predictability is high. Then there's the odd hit detection, specially with big bosses, when you clearly are far from the scorpion tail (for example) but you are hit anyway or when another boss runs to you end even if you are in mid-air jumping, you end up suddenly grabbed by the boss on the next frames...

All in all, a technical beast with brutal graphics, animations and sound, but gameplay wise adds nothing good to the series while looses some key aspects, specially originality and fun. And it doesn't matter if it's a sequel, GOW 2 was already a sequel and improved the first one.

Conclusion: At times it hinters with awesomness but at the end falls rather flat and uninspired. Definitely a rental.

PS: I know I may sound just too picky, but after playing Demon's souls my bar for combat in games has raised considerably, specially on the "Fairness" and "strategy" department. And even if they are different game genres, I think gow 3 crew just did a soul-less sequel (hence the connection with demon's souls). :COAT:

Brilliant post, couldn't agree more....

I love GOW 3... but it's not in the top 10 PS3 games for me...

in my opinion gow 3 is really a great game. it's just a hack'n slay. i don't need that much innovation in gameplay - it's good anyways. i think it's better to keep a sloid working gameplay instead trying crazy new things that might end in a disaster...
graphics are bombastic - that's exactly what i expected a ps3 version of gow.

for me there was no problem regarding controls or camera - maybe, because i found almost every secret treasure in first time and almost never had to go back during a stage...

but i have to agree that the difficulty of this game even on hard (haven't tried very hard right now) is too low in my opinion. the same for the puzzles, but i am happy, that there are not too much puzzles inside gow3.
i am also a little bit dissapointed regarding the stages - i'd like to have bigger areas. i think the level could be more wide, but i guess it goes along with the story - every location is on the olymp...

also i think it's too much quick-time events during boss-fights.

but at all i have to say that i like gow3 (the story, the graphics, the sound) - it's not as good as gow2 was on ps2, but still a great game.

As stated by C&VG:

-Sony has given God Of War fans a present this morning - a free download of the God Of War Trilogy soundtrack.

-The item was included in the God of War III Ultimate Edition package as a voucher code - so might not be available for too much longer...

original

Official & direct link to the download:
http://www.godofwar.com/ucmdev/groups/public/documents/webasset/g3_trilogy_soundtrack.zip

God of War: Original Soundtrack from the Video Game
Gerard Marino, Mike Reagan, Cris Velasco, Ron Fish,
Winifred Phillips with Winnie Waldron
1. The Vengeful Spartan (01:21)
2. Kratos and the Sea (02:21)
3. The Splendor of Athens (02:09)
4. Ares Destroys Athens (01:13)
5. Mind the Cyclops (02:09)
6. Athenian Battle (03:07)
7. Exploring the Ruins (02:02)
8. Athens Rooftops Fighting (02:39)
9. Save the Oracle Challenge (01:35)
10. Kratos' Evil Past (02:01)
11. The Story of Cronos (01:17)
12. Battle the Lethal Sirens (02:28)
13. The Temple of Pandora (00:36)
14. Pandoran Cyclopes Attack (01:42)
15. The Architect's Mysteries (02:00)
16. Zeus' Wrath Divine (03:04)
17. The Underwater World of Poseidon (03:04)
18. Minotaur Boss Battle (01:57)
19. Pandora's Box (01:00)
20. Hades, God of the Underworld (01:13)
21. Duel with Ares (02:22)
22. Enthroned on Mount Olympus (01:57)
23. God of War End Title (03:34)

God of War II: Original Soundtrack from the Video Game
Gerard Marino, Ron Fish, Mike Reagan, Cris Velasco
1. God of War II - Main Titles (02:55)
2. The Glory of Sparta (03:06)
3. The Way of the Gods (02:11)
4. Colossus of Rhodes (02:04)
5. The Bathhouse (02:03)
6. Death of Kratos (04:02)
7. The End Begins (01:53)
8. Typhon Mountain (03:14)
9. Waking the Sleeping Giant (01:48)
10. Battle for the Skies (02:14)
11. Exploring the Isle (02:17)
12. The Isle of Creation (03:18)
13. The Summit of Sacrifice (02:31)
14. An Audience with Cronos (02:05)
15. The Barbarian King Returns (01:59)
16. Bog of Lost Souls (02:19)
17. Battle in the Bog (02:00)
18. Crossing the Lowlands (02:02)
19. Atlas (03:34)
20. Palace of the Fates (02:44)
21. Phoenix Rising (02:08)
22. Ashen Spire (01:00)
23. Athena (00:56)
24. The Battle for Olympus (03:09)

God of War III: Original Soundtrack from the Video Game
Gerard Marino, Ron Fish, Cris Velasco, Mike Reagan, Jeff Rona
1. God of War III Overture (03:36)
2. Call to Arms (02:41)
3. Poseidon's Wrath (02:32)
4. Revenge Falling (03:10)
5. Anthem of the Dead (01:17)
6. Depths of Hades (02:54)
7. The Forge of Hephaestus (02:18)
8. Labor of Destruction (01:36)
9. The Three Judges (01:40)
10. The Lost Souls (02:38)
11. Duel with Hades (01:44)
12. Tides of Chaos (04:24)
13. Stalker (01:55)
14. The Muse's Song (02:06)
15. Brothers of Blood (02:44)
16. Lure of a Goddess (02:07)
17. The March of Tartarus (02:00)
18. The Great Machine (03:01)
19. Pandora's Song (02:26)
20. Revenge Rising (01:34)
21. All for Nothing (02:22)
22. Rage of Sparta (01:41)
23. In the Face of Fear (02:00)
24. End of Vengeance (04:19)

Maybe this will give us a clue or 2.

From Eurogamer

God of War III game director Stig Asmussen has revealed that former directors David Jaffe and Cory Barlog had different ideas about how to end the series.

"What David Jaffe talked about doing was - and I'm not sure how it would happen - basically, you destroy Greek mythology and then Norse mythology is right around the corner," Asmussen told GamePro.

"That's the next thing that Kratos would go after. It becomes clear at the end that he's going to become this harbinger of death across different mythologies in the world and maybe carry the series on from there."

Apparently Barlog's idea was "about Kratos becoming Death".

David Jaffe subsequently popped up on Twitter to clarify, as spotted by Kotaku. "I assure you my story was not as simple as Kratos going after the Norse gods. There is an element of truth but it goes far beyond," he tweeted.

He also said: "I love Cory, he rocks. But that was my idea. Blades of Chaos becomes the Scythe of the Reaper. BUT still, lots more. Up2Sony2reveal."

Asmussen was fond of both alternatives. "They're both incredibly good ideas, but you need a director to be passionate about the story and understand it intimately. If I had used Dave or Cory's idea, I wouldn't have been as passionate about it."

He also talked a little about working under a game director, having worked as lead environment artist and art director under Jaffe and Barlog respectively for the first two God of War games.

"Jaffe was a 'big idea' kind of guy who thought outside of the box," Asmussen explained. "He worked more along the lines of commanding his ideas, while Cory was a little more political and savvy when working with people and pitching his ideas. They're two very different people, but they're both incredibly talented."

Ahh I heard mumblings of a GOW prequel; it may be on the cards then. That, and that rumours you've posted for E3 2010.

I know I'm very late to the party, bit I've finally got around to playing and completing this.

What a game, definitely the best in the series. Just incredible in every way, very exciting and addictive from start to finish.

9.5/10

Back
Top Bottom