Football Manager 2009

It's like real life though isn't it?

Your assistant manager will tell you through the game, "he's not doing very well, we're not taking advantage of the space they're leaving when they're marking our AM" - but he'll be talking through his arse unless he's tactically sound. And if your team is poor you're still not going to beat the good teams, even if he is talking sense.

fm09.jpg

After counting the Nike ticks on the boxart I'd say they'd definately struck up some sort of deal with Nike :)).

I love the little widget things or whatever they call them - that is the best thing ever!!!.......~Apart from the 3d thing ;)) :DD

The 3D engine doesn't look heavily detailed so would a decent graphics do, like a nVidia GeForce 9300GS?

Definitely. I've got a GeForce 6600 and I'm sure it will work on that, it's very basic - they're not aiming it at the guys with monster PCs.

One thing I really hope is that the overlay on the match can be modded, so you can get the Sky Sports, Champions League, BBC scoreboards etc.

On that pic Stef posted I don't like the way they put white text on a grey background and the scoreboard just looks amateurish really.

I know you could get skins which change the scoreboard on the overview screen, but being able to change the size, position and layout of the scoreboards so you can get them to look like they do on TV would be good in 09.

Thanks for the video, as you said, it's very small but it still looks good for something that is about 50% done :)).

CB, did u notice the stadium in that video and in the part2 video?
its cleary emirates..no textures, but u can cleary see its emirates stands...
Arsenal.JPG

large stand, 2 thin ones and a large one at the top

seems we will have 3d stadiums!

Last edited:
seems we will have 3d stadiums!
Oh no we won't mate. :(

Here's some quotes from one of the developers that you may not have seen. The stadium bit appears at the bottom of the list.

PaulC said:
We have actually gone quite a way beyond the FML engine. For a start we completely re-wrote the ball physics ( we had to, as the existing model didn't wash in 3d ), and from there obviously there were some things that were immediately better and some that needed retuning.

A lot more work will go into it between now and release as well. Not just in terms of match AI, but adding and refining animations, improving the look of the pitches etc.

I'm really excited about it. We've bided our time before going for a 3d view with good reason I think, but now seems the right time, and hopefully over the next few releases it will go from strength to strength like 2d did. Its a massive challenge and we absolutely revel in that. Sometimes you have to push things to the next level, and hopefully come November you will be glad that we are doing so.

PaulC said:
Regarding the 3 years of development, there is a small misunderstanding cleared up by Miles elsewhere today. We have been working towards a 3d view for 3 years, but the one we are using in FM2009 was started a year ago.

PaulC said:
I'd say its less than 50% complete in terms of animation. Not just in terms of the number implemented but also in terms of where the actual animation code is at right now. We hope and expect that it will come on leaps and bounds in the next few weeks......although obviously we'll be working on it further throughout the lifespan of FM2009 and beyond!

PaulC said:
We cant attempt to represent the stadiums. You can see from the screenshots that currently we have a kind of "abstract" stadium effect. I should imagine that will be something the user can turn off - we will see.

Player detail is limited to the four attributes you mention [skin colour, hair colour, player height and player weight]. We wont be going down the FIFA route in terms of detail, and we wont be going close enough with the camera for it to matter. ;)

PaulC said:
Visual weather effects I doubt we will have time for this release, beyond the pitch textures.

PaulC said:
The players and pitch are all to scale. We are a little suspicious that some other games actually use oversized players......

PaulC said:
[There are names on the back of the shirts currently but] being honest they are hard to read off the shirts. During the testing phase, we intend to experiment with showing names and/or numbers both above/below relevent players and elsewhere on the screen.

PaulC said:
[There will be no tricks etc. in] FM2009 unfortunately. Our priority is to make the existing 2d engine translate nicely into 3d.

PaulC said:
For the time being [the "likes to use tricks" player preferred move] is not being used, no. Some PPMs are waiting for a time at which we are in a position to implement them.....

PaulC said:
[In response to whether height will make a difference in the 3D match engine,] yes. Jumping still dictates the maximum height a player can get to, but height is used for deciding if a player needs to jump, and also for deciding at what point the player needs to head the ball, take it on the chest etc.

PaulC said:
[In response to if the engine will be used in Football Manager Live,] I would imagine FML users will want it, so at some point it is inevitable.

PaulC said:
We wont be modelling real stadiums or crowds yet.

uhmm i c...
well some good news there...specially about the player models(long hair or bald would be cool to, maybe they let u set the hair color the same as the skin so the player will look bald.)..i love that we will have diferent heeights and weights...
anyways about the stadium i c what he says, but that generic blackstadium thye made is definatly emirates...if thats the only option to have i rather turn it off like he says we might be able and turn your great background pic in...adds so much to the atmosfere..
do u know if it possible in fm2008 to use a background pic for night games and a diferent one for day games?

Cb, he said We wont be modelling real stadiums or crowds yet, but that doesnt mean they wont leave the opening for us to input our own stadiums right? He just said they wont make them..
i mean if they release the game with that generic emirates we see in the videos im sure people will be able to mod it..maybe not insert other stadiums..but for sure mod that one.

Possibly so. Not much point though, I wouldn't like playing at home week in week out, even if it's exactly like Prenton Park! I'll most likely just disable the stadium and have a picture in the background, like you said.

Possibly so. Not much point though, I wouldn't like playing at home week in week out, even if it's exactly like Prenton Park! I'll most likely just disable the stadium and have a picture in the background, like you said.

yeh...but pehraps, they let us assing diferent stadiums for each teams the same way as the background stadium pics..just a wish :)

To be honest I'd rather not have crowds or stadiums, so its constantly generic. I'd rather no stadium than a generic stadium, that would annoy me. And also it would run a lot smoother without the stadium/crowd.

i agree with u, im all for pathern and consistency, thats one of the reasosn i like the generic kits in fm2008, since we cant have 100% of the correct kits, i rather have those generic made in the game editor...
thats one of the things that annoys me in many sports games, the unconsistency of licensed, not licensed and bla bla bla...thats why i miss the days PES didnt have any licenses and every team and kit was just perfect LOOK A LIKE kits.

if they leave the option to insert stadiums(ala kits and logos in fm2008) in this game it will be fun though since this comunity is huge and full of great artists.

No, you're not going nuts.

If that is not Emirates, it is a generic stadium that simulates Emirates :P.
It has the same stands configuration, just look at the min 9:00 of the second video and you'll all see too.

They may not model real stadiums, but they can do generic ones that look like real ones, like we have seen in PES since PSX times...

Back
Top Bottom