Football Betting Online

I've been checking out "BetFair" for the past half an hour or so guys and I'm even more impressed now.

They have video tutorials (with sound as well) for newbies like me to explain what 'lay' or 'back' or 'matched/unmatched' bids are.

It was helpful.

They also have a website called "Betfair Play for Fun" where apparently it's risk-free and for newbies like me to practice making bids to get the hang of how everything works before making REAL bids which could see me win or lose $$$.

Seems like a big organization and my first impression is good thus far. :thumbup:

Betfair is massive

as for laying there is money to be won in laying a team to lose but more outlay if they dont because you are the bookie when laying :)

Hey denirbob have you been successful with this (since you do know a lot about football)?

hello SB,
youve probably forgotten more than i'll ever know mate....

To be honest is no longer easy with a Mrs Denirobob as it was when i was younger.

My most recent win was on Italy to win the World Cup, £5 @ 8/1 and before then I have also won with Panathanikos to win their CL group £5 @ 10/1 some years ago. My biggest ever win though was on Chris Jericho to be WWF champion over christmas 2002. I had £10 on that at a corking 25/1 :) a prime example of the bookies offering odds on a subject they knew nothing about.

Last year I backed Sporting at good odds to come thru their CL group although Bayern & Inter just proved too strong.

-

The two bets I have on at present this season are as follows..

£3 Bolton to get relegated @ 7/1
£2.50 each way Lens to win Ligue 1 @ 25/1 (1/3 odds to finish 1st or 2nd)

and i'm still debating with myself whether an e/w on Dean ashton to finish top scorer @ 66/1 is worth a few shekels :)

Obvioulsy value is in the eye of the beholder, so I'm happy to go into details on the reasoning behind either bet if anyones interested. I will almost certainly have a small wager on the CL groups too, generally an underrated team and various singles during the year.

db

and i'm still debating with myself whether an e/w on Dean ashton to finish top scorer @ 66/1 is worth a few shekels :)

Go for it mate.
I'm as excited as I have ever been for a West Ham player as what I am awaiting Ashton's return this season.
Put on a fiver e/w and if you get the e/w as top 4, you could be looking at a nice £25 or so if he places, about £60 if he wins. (Sound right to you?)
I've certainly seen worse bets.

I see many people also backing Bolton to struggle and 7/1 could be a good price, though may be worth waiting to see if they make a good start and you could get them at 10s or 12s.

Last edited:
@SB, I'd do the two on the outsides (faaaaaar left and faaaaar right.)................................................... first. ;) :mrgreen:

Betfair is massive

as for laying there is money to be won in laying a team to lose but more outlay if they dont because you are the bookie when laying :)

Yeh, at first I was confused about the whole 'lay' thing but after a while I got it. Basically we act as the bookie in that case.

By the way, it's now clear to me then that @ betfair, you're bidding against other people. So it's sorta like an exchange platform for people to bet with each other by backing or laying. Works in a way like e-bay I guess where you're not buying or selling from or to ebay but to others who use the service.

I assume, most other betting websites are real bookies however and don't work in a system like this.

What are your thoughts on it then? Is it better to go with something like this? Or a real bookie?

Obviously in a system like this (betfair), you have some advantages like being able to act like a bookie when you want and also determine the odds you want to bet (and generally get better odds probably therefore) IF somebody is willing to take you up on it and agree/match it but there must be some disadvantages to this system compared to something like 'skybet' as well, isn't there? :-k

My biggest ever win though was on Chris Jericho to be WWF champion over christmas 2002. I had £10 on that at a corking 25/1 :) a prime example of the bookies offering odds on a subject they knew nothing about.

:mrgreen:

The two bets I have on at present this season are as follows..

£3 Bolton to get relegated @ 7/1
£2.50 each way Lens to win Ligue 1 @ 25/1 (1/3 odds to finish 1st or 2nd)

Wouldn't you get full odds if they were to finish 1st, DB? :-s

I thought the 1/3 odd thing would only be if they finished 2nd and you'd get 25/1 if they were to actually become champs.

By the way, I suppose there is no way to bet on them finishing 2nd or 3rd? Rather than 2nd and first? Because I very much doubt we'll have a new champion in France this season but 2nd or 3rd could become a reality for Lens and the squad of players they have compiled and with the new legendary manager, Guy Roux.

As for Bolton getting relegated, I've thought about it too. Not sure if they will get relegated but they won't be as high as they were in the previous years most likely with Fat Sam not in charge anymore (hence no more over-achievement :p ) and so many of the other mid-table clubs having invested in higher quality players that Bolton don't have the services of and don't look like acquiring either.

I can see them finishing a disappoting 15th or so. Not sure if they'd get relegated but it could be a good bet.

Obvioulsy value is in the eye of the beholder, so I'm happy to go into details on the reasoning behind either bet if anyones interested. I will almost certainly have a small wager on the CL groups too, generally an underrated team and various singles during the year.

db

Although not fully proven at Premier league level (Only a brief spell with Norwich and West Ham at the top division so far for him and both unfortunately ruined by injuries), I certainly like and rate the guy as well. I think he has the quality to possibly make this a good bet but if he is to have injury problems again this season like he's had recently, it's gonna be very difficult since there are strikers playing in EPL now who are not only as good as him or better but more fit and less injury prone. So they're likely to get more games and minutes and as a result, score more.

But hopefully, this season, he'll stay injury free and get to finally show his potential on a consistent basis and over a long-term not just a short spell. I think at those odds, it's another good bet and like Stevo said, I've certainly seen much worse. ;)

You guys gotta clearly explain how the 'e/w' thing exactly works though. I'm not sure I'm fully getting it right now. :|

I see many people also backing Bolton to struggle and 7/1 could be a good price, though may be worth waiting to see if they make a good start and you could get them at 10s or 12s.

True but then they could also have a bad start and then everybody would jump on the bandwagon that they're destined to go down this year without Big Sam and stop progressing and you'd get worse odds than 7/1.

By the way, what's the deadline for betting on things like relegation then? :-s
If you can do it even after season starts, when would you not be able to anymore?

Go for it mate.
I'm as excited as I have ever been for a West Ham player as what I am awaiting Ashton's return this season.
Put on a fiver e/w and if you get the e/w as top 4, you could be looking at a nice £25 or so if he places, about £60 if he wins. (Sound right to you?)
I've certainly seen worse bets.
Hi steevio,

I was wondering as a hammers fan could u tell me who will be taking your pens this yr ? (reo Cocker last wasnt it?) as this i a big factor to consider. Johson at everton for instance would prob bag 3-4 more goals if it wasnt for Arteta

The fundamental points i have been looking for in this bet:

- the big 4 operate a rotation policy (bar Drogba, Ronaldo - so who will def start and be guranteed 30+ games)
- the bookies overate big name players & vice versa
- I have always been a fan of the bigman-small man combo (Ashton & Bellamy)
- Historically players from outside top clubs do feature fairly highly in this market (Darren Bent being a prime example)

@ 66/1 a fiver e/w (so £10 in total) would return the following..

if he finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th = £77.50 profit + stake
if he finishes 1st = £412 profit + stake

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/calculator/

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/barclays-premiership/top-goalscorer

cheers

DB

ps - he scored a great goal against Orient the other day didnt he :)

Hi PLF,

sorry mate this is the breakdown for those bets...

Bolton - £3 @ 7/1 = £21 profit + stake

Lens - £2.50 e/w @ 25/1 = £18.33 + stake for coming 2nd
or
= £83.33 + stake for coming 1st

Essentially whatever stake u wanted to place say $10 has to be doubled ($20) for an each way bet

e.g. $10 goes on the win part of the bet (finishing 1st) and the other $10 goes on the place part of the bet (finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th)

clear as mud eh :)

db

Last edited:
i always put money on man utd to be getting beat at half time and win full time you usually get from 22/1 to 33/1 and it came in loads last season so was quids in

db: I made a mistake and was actually referring to £2.50 each way as a total £5 bet.... but I still cocked up the calculations anyway!!
I still think it is a decent bet so whatever you can manage.

Penalties.
Well if Tevez stays, he takes them... simple.
But seeing as that is highly unlikely, then you probably have to look at either Bellamy or Neill.
Though Neill missed one for Australia the other day and Bellamy missed one for us in a friendly too :roll::lol:

To be honest, we don't get many penalties, but with players like Bellamy up front and Ljungberg getting into the area, there may be a few more coming our way.
I'd say we will give them to Bellamy, but then we may sign Gudjohnsen ;)
I don't think it will make that much difference to Ashton's total anyway mate.

I may have a bet on Spurs to qualify for the Champions League as I think maybe Arsenal or Liverpool may have problems and Spurs squad is looking good this year.
(Can anyone find decent odds on a Spurs CL place? Ta.)

i always put money on man utd to be getting beat at half time and win full time you usually get from 22/1 to 33/1 and it came in loads last season so was quids in

Good tip, that.

Last edited:
Tottenham for a CL place is a good bet I think.
I'd be interested in knowing the best odds for that as well.

How about my question above by the way Steve?

What's the deadline then for predicting things like relegation or this CL finish spot? We can do it even after season starts? But until when?

Hi PLF,

sorry mate this is the breakdown for those bets...

Bolton - £3 @ 7/1 = £21 profit + stake

Lens - £2.50 e/w @ 25/1 = £18.33 + stake for coming 2nd
or
= £83.33 + stake for coming 1st

I get the Bolton bet because it's just simply (3x7) = 21 in profit + stake.

But wouldn't 2.50 x 25 be 62.5?
I don't know how you get the £83.33 if they finish first and we have bet on them to finish first or the "£18.33 + stake for coming 2nd" if I'm to be honest. :oops:

It's probably very simple but for some reason, I'm being very slow in understanding it! :p

So if you could provide the 'mathematical' calculations as to how you got those 2 'profit numbers' for Lens, it'd be great.

EDIT:

LORDC007 said:

Good tip.

Although sometimes, they're drawing at HT and go on to win.

Anyway, I'm wondering, just as an estimate, do you have any idea, how much you picked up thanks to this technique of yours, last season? Just a rough guess would do.

Last edited:
I get the Bolton bet because it's just simply (3x7) = 21 in profit + stake.

But wouldn't 2.50 x 25 be 62.5?
I don't know how you get the £83.33 if they finish first and we have bet on them to finish first or the "£18.33 + stake for coming 2nd" if I'm to be honest. :oops:

It's probably very simple but for some reason, I'm being very slow in understanding it! :p

So if you could provide the 'mathematical' calculations as to how you got those 2 'profit numbers' for Lens, it'd be great.

hello mate

Of course no problem. Well essentially the first thing i should of explained was that if Lens won Ligue 1 you'd get not only the winning part of the bet but the each-way part too.

So...

you have £2.50 on for Lens to win Ligue 1 @ 25/1 = £62.50 + original £2.50 stake

you have £2.50 on for Lens to get at least 2nd place (e.g. the each-way part) in Ligue 1 @ 25/1 at 1/3 the original odds so @ 8.25/1 = £18.33 + original £2.50 stake

therefore if Lens triumph and hold aloft Le championnat come May, then you win both parts of the bet...

£62.50 + £18.33 + £5.00 stake = mucho wonga :)

hope that explains. tomorrow i think we should talk about spread betting.

db

you have £2.50 on for Lens to get at least 2nd place (e.g. the each-way part) in Ligue 1 @ 25/1 at 1/3 the original odds so @ 8.25/1 = £18.33 + original £2.50 stake

I see. Thanks.

The "At least" part makes things much more clear. ;)

The bolded part doesn't match with my calucation however. On my calculator at least, 2.5 x 8.25 (8.3333 is 1/3rd of 25 by the way) gives 20.625. So I assumed that would be the profit if they were to come 2nd plus the original stake of (2.50) of course.

Not exactly sure where you got the 18.33 then to be honest.

therefore if Lens triumph and hold aloft Le championnat come May, then you win both parts of the bet...

£62.50 + £18.33 + £5.00 stake = mucho wonga :)

:8):

Quite unlikely but who knows.... If they can keep pace with OL until the last couple months and OL finally plays up to the squad's potential in Europe this year (who knows without Houllier that is a possibility :p ) and goes further than Q-finals and all the way perhaps, then maybe, they can manage to screw up a bit in league in those last few weeks due to injuries, fatigue, etc. and that could give Lens or another one of the chasing pack who is close enough, just enough room to give us a new French champion. :)

That's an unlikely scenario but a possibility nonetheless.

tomorrow i think we should talk about spread betting.

db

Sounds good to me because as you can probably guess, I have no idea what that is either! :mrgreen: :oops:

By the way, you haven't answered one of my more important questions yet, Simon.

Is it possible to bet on Lens to finish 2nd or 3rd rather than 1st or 2nd?

hi mate

nope afraid not, well at least not from the range of bookmakers available in this country.

there might be a market available with a French bookmaker though I suppose, if such a thing exists which i assume it must.

Youre right about the amounts, it doesn't quite add up does it. I was using the bet calculator device - http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/calculator/

It would appear that the bookies round down such fractions then, unless that calculator thing isnt right. hmm

just tried the ladbrokes one too- http://www.ladbrokes.com/betCalculator/betCalc.html
and comes out at 23.33 for the each-way part (including the £5 stake)

Im officially confused :shock:

db

don't bother with online betting as i live 100 yards from a bookies, done 10 homes today

everton v wigan @ 8/13
charlton v scunthorpe @ 1/2
leicester v blackpool @ 4/6
sheffield utd v colchester @ 4/7
bradford v macclesfield @ 4/6
brentford v mansfield @ 8/11
rangers v st mirren @ 1/7
dundee v queen of south @ 8/13
dunfermline v morton @ 8/13
arsenal v fulham @ 2/7

£5 stake returns £350.25 inc stake

don't normally like betting for the first few weeks of the season as i like to see a bit of form first so just a bit of fun for today, i'm working 2 til 10 today so i'll be checking the tv in the canteen all afternoon

Put a fiver on tonights games:

Gone for £3 accumulator on:

Arsenal @ 1/6
Man. Utd @ 8/13
PSV Eindhoven @ 4/6
Roma @ 2/5
VfB Stuttgart v Lyon - Draw @ 11/5

Returns £42.22

Also put 40p on 4 folds (5 lines)

Max return is £17.49 which I hope a couple of lines come in to return my stake at least.

Overall return if all 5 come in is £59.71

Hi guys,

Yesterday, DeniroBob pm'ed me to get my thoughts and predictions on a few things related to the upcoming Ligue 1 season and possibly bet on and we had a really nice chat which opened my eyes to this whole online football betting thing that I've been basically ignoring and not paying any attention to, before.

This got me thinking, should I bother with betting online? I've never tried it and I think it could be sorta fun and of course it'd be nice to make a buck or two if you can predict a few things correctly which I think I may be capable of.

So I was just wondering, out of the many folks who frequent this forum, how many of you have ever given it a try or still do? What do you think about it? The experience as a whole? Which websites do you use? (William Hill, skybet, etc.)

Do you recommend it for me? Do you have to be in England to place those bets or can I do it from elsewhere if I have a master card?
Do you bet on matches only or also on stuff like who gets relegated, finishes top 3, top-scorer, etc.?

Just some basic random questions I had which I thought I'd post here to see if we can get a general informative (for me) discussion going on about people's previous experiences with 'football betting online' and what they think about it as I'm eager to hear about them and it's something I've never tried out but am thinking about giving a go to.

Thanks for any helpful posts and advice in advance.

And this beckons the fall of 'PLF' :(

He'll sell his knowledge for the sake of making that big bet only to be left sleeping on a park bench muttering to passer byes of his glorious past & potential saviour of Konami .....
:shock:
Betfair is a good one, you can actually bet against other members, similar to betting my mate that Manu will beat the pool on sunday with Saha bagging a goal. Handy €50. ;)

Last edited:
Anyone still bet online? Started using paddypower.com and have been putting on accumulators the last week or so. Haven't won yet though.

Tonights coupon is:

FC Aarau v Neuchatel Xamax
FC Aarau @ 5 - 6
Gais Gothenborg v IFK Gothenborg
IFK Gothenborg @ 4 - 5
1860 Munich v SV Wehen
1860 Munich @ 5 - 6
Weston Super Mare v Maidenhead
Weston Super Mare @ evens
Rushden & Diamonds v Torquay
Torquay @ 5 - 4
Droylsden v Ebbsfleet