FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Really? Yikes, I think you're in the minority there. I can't think of anything more boring than playing with the same team week in week out, with no way to solve your team's biggest strategic problems by buying/selling players, and just "making do" every week, and then it stops after fortyish games.

Taking a low team and do the best out of my given squad season for season is entertaining enough for me. This might be down to the problem that most career modes make it too easy to have a superstar squad after a short period of time. Then playing against Barcelona which is full of strange or unknown players...that´s not my thing.

I don´t get what´s so exciting about these career modes anyway, i always favour league games and tournaments with authentic squads over those fantasy modes.
It depends on how you play a Career Mode. I usually start with a ‘smaller’ club and strengthen its weaknesses over the course of 2 or 3 seasons and I always target realistic players that a club like Aston Villa [for example] would sign.

I never go for the obvious star name players like Messi and Ronaldo and I don’t use the big power teams like Real Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea and the like.

Playing a 38+ game season without being able to sell, buy or train players and put my mark on the squad would get boring extremely quickly.

I don’t think it’s ‘fantasy’ to buy and sell realistically, I do however find the FUT/myclub game modes ridiculous having the likes of Diego Maradona and Figo in the starting 11 :LOL:

After the latest update PES is smoother than ever and nothing beats the flow of that game - the player mechanics and the pace of passing.

However, I really have trouble with the spacing of players on the pitch. Yet again there's too much room in midfield.

And if an AI team's tactics are set to defend deep, they go right back to their 6-yard line. No team at any level of football does that.

After the latest update PES is smoother than ever and nothing beats the flow of that game - the player mechanics and the pace of passing.

However, I really have trouble with the spacing of players on the pitch. Yet again there's too much room in midfield.

And if an AI team's tactics are set to defend deep, they go right back to their 6-yard line. No team at any level of football does that.

Hmm, so that still wasn't fixed? The defensive AI and positioning/ spacing was one of my biggest issues. That sucks.

Guys, I have the feeling that FIFA is the game that best represents the Premier League matches (visuals, grass, presentation, pace and players’ movement), while PES best represents matches of all others leagues across the world. That’s because I think the football played in Premier League is different from any other league/country. Does anyone else feel the same?

Guys, I have the feeling that FIFA is the game that best represents the Premier League matches (visuals, grass, presentation, pace and players’ movement), while PES best represents matches of all others leagues across the world. That’s because I think the football played in Premier League is different from any other league/country. Does anyone else feel the same?
Yeah I kind of agree. Playing at the same stadiums in PES doesn’t help.

Saying that, I watched arsenal v Liverpool earlier and it looked much more like a game of PES to me, the way it flowed, the pace of it, the little niggly fouls getting called, the stop start nature of it.

Fifa you don’t get that anymore because the fouls have disappeared.

Yeah I kind of agree. Playing at the same stadiums in PES doesn’t help.

Saying that, I watched arsenal v Liverpool earlier and it looked much more like a game of PES to me, the way it flowed, the pace of it, the little niggly fouls getting called, the stop start nature of it.

Fifa you don’t get that anymore because the fouls have disappeared.
I disagree. Whilst you're right to point out that FIFA lacks fouls, I always seem to get little niggly ones on FIFA. Thankfully PES has done a lot of work to rectify their lack of fouls problem but I still find both games lacking in that department.

I finally bought the game after it was reduced in price. I played a couple of League matches and i found it ok quite a few fouls which is good. Then today i played a game in ML, FUMA on professional.

Admittedly i have only played 3 games but i can feel a ‘lack of soul’ straight away similar to previous PES games on the PS4. I personally do not think I will like it. What bugs me is the shooting has felt over powered for ages now and in this it feels the same, not that I scored many goals. But each shot I took was like an arrow. Yes some went wide and some went high but i just cannot put my finger on it.

It also feels very much on rails which is what i am used to being a lover of PES 2008 PS2 but i find it hard to accept having played a lot of FIFA this year. What i do like is the physicality, something that FIFA lacks at the moment. I like the way players will hack you down and get booked.

But i did play a game of FIFA afterwards on Professional and so far i am enjoying FIFA more because it is less on rails. The shooting is far better and scoring is far more satisfying than in PES and that is the main thing in football.

I may live to regret buying PES because now it will mean flirting between the two and being disappointed with them both probably. Anyway that’s my thoughts after just a few games. Hopefully it will change.

Also bought PES 2019 for £20 the other night when FIFA servers were down. Played a MyClub tournament where you only qualify if you have played less than 5 games to get some way GP.

Won first match, in fact scored on my first attack.

Second game, I got paired with a guy who clearly was not playing his first 5 games. He had Suarez, Messi, Mbappe and a whole load of other top players whereas I had Mandukic and a bunch of no mark randoms. Lost 11-0 and it was just a farce. Just shows that PES matchmaking is awful and it will pair you against anyone just to give you a game.

I can't see myself going back to it unless FIFA is offline again. Agree with previous poster - PES feels on rails compared to FIFA. Disagree about physicality though. PES just has people come through the back of you whereas FIFA allows you shield the ball a bit better. If someone plays a ball through to a fast striker, I can obstruct the run and use L2 to block the player. In PES there is little you can do

Also bought PES 2019 for £20 the other night when FIFA servers were down. Played a MyClub tournament where you only qualify if you have played less than 5 games to get some way GP.

Second game, I got paired with a guy who clearly was not playing his first 5 games. He had Suarez, Messi, Mbappe and a whole load of other top players whereas I had Mandukic and a bunch of no mark randoms. Lost 11-0 and it was just a farce. Just shows that PES matchmaking is awful and it will pair you against anyone just to give you a game.

I can't see myself going back to it unless FIFA is offline again. Agree with previous poster - PES feels on rails compared to FIFA. Disagree about physicality though. PES just has people come through the back of you whereas FIFA allows you shield the ball a bit better. If someone plays a ball through to a fast striker, I can obstruct the run and use L2 to block the player. In PES there is little you can do

You did well to avoid turning off that 11-0 game you played.

Regarding physicality maybe i am not explaining it well. Because of the fouls in PES it is a bit more stop start and i found there to be more middle play. Whereas in FIFA i feel i can just run at a player and nick the ball and 99% of the time there will be no foul. The same for the CPU against me. Resulting in less middle battles. Strange because i found previous patches better.

It may be because i use legacy defending and only play on Prof.

You did well to avoid turning off that 11-0 game you played.

Regarding physicality maybe i am not explaining it well. Because of the fouls in PES it is a bit more stop start and i found there to be more middle play. Whereas in FIFA i feel i can just run at a player and nick the ball and 99% of the time there will be no foul. The same for the CPU against me. Resulting in less middle battles. Strange because i found previous patches better.

It may be because i use legacy defending and only play on Prof.

I only play online and so use tactical defending. Not keen on legacy defending or pes defending - just too simple to either press or let go of a button or two to heatseek the ball. Defending is as much a skill as attacking in FIFA and I prefer it to be harder.

I only play online and so use tactical defending. Not keen on legacy defending or pes defending - just too simple to either press or let go of a button or two to heatseek the ball. Defending is as much a skill as attacking in FIFA and I prefer it to be harder.

That’s fair enough. I just never got used to it when it was first introduced. Not sure if it’s the same but it used to feel like a bit of a force field around the attacker. If i want to run into a player to get the ball with the risk of leaving gaps in my defence or giving away a free kick that should be up to me the problem is FIFA does not punish you in that way unless of course on higher difficulties.

I finally bought the game after it was reduced in price. I played a couple of League matches and i found it ok quite a few fouls which is good. Then today i played a game in ML, FUMA on professional.

Admittedly i have only played 3 games but i can feel a ‘lack of soul’ straight away similar to previous PES games on the PS4. I personally do not think I will like it. What bugs me is the shooting has felt over powered for ages now and in this it feels the same, not that I scored many goals. But each shot I took was like an arrow. Yes some went wide and some went high but i just cannot put my finger on it.

It also feels very much on rails which is what i am used to being a lover of PES 2008 PS2 but i find it hard to accept having played a lot of FIFA this year. What i do like is the physicality, something that FIFA lacks at the moment. I like the way players will hack you down and get booked.

But i did play a game of FIFA afterwards on Professional and so far i am enjoying FIFA more because it is less on rails. The shooting is far better and scoring is far more satisfying than in PES and that is the main thing in football.

I may live to regret buying PES because now it will mean flirting between the two and being disappointed with them both probably. Anyway that’s my thoughts after just a few games. Hopefully it will change.
Shooting is rubbish in PES. Has been for many years.

Shooting is rubbish in PES. Has been for many years.

Yep you can play the ball to anyone setting them up for a 20 to 30yrd rocket and each shot will be like an arrow regardless of the player. I’m not saying that each shot will be on target but they will be powerful well hit shots.

In retro PES the shots could be scuffed and even hit down into the floor. It made a big difference setting up players like Lampard and Gerrard.

FIFA’s shooting is so much more rewarding.

Mate if you're not 100% aware of what you're talking about,better not say incorrect things and post them as facts.
In tournament there are no filters and yes you can be matched with anyone.
But on normal ranked matches you can choose with how powerfull opponent based on rating you want to play against,level of teams,what pass support and quality of connection.So it's not that you'll be paired with anyone as you're saying.

Yep you can play the ball to anyone setting them up for a 20 to 30yrd rocket and each shot will be like an arrow regardless of the player. I’m not saying that each shot will be on target but they will be powerful well hit shots.

In retro PES the shots could be scuffed and even hit down into the floor. It made a big difference setting up players like Lampard and Gerrard.

FIFA’s shooting is so much more rewarding.
honestly i just dont see this . certainly in my Ml as villa i havent scored any of these so called rockets. fifas shooting is incredibley dull in comparison due to the ball physics.

and then onto another poster about pes being on rails i mean what game are people playing even on pa1 its not on rails let alone using the manual pass where you put it anywhere

physicality there is just no comparison. So what if fifa has a sheild button. you can hardly win fouls. pes ai now fouls at the right time , when it needs to and often

Mate if you're not 100% aware of what you're talking about,better not say incorrect things and post them as facts.
In tournament there are no filters and yes you can be matched with anyone.
But on normal ranked matches you can choose with how powerfull opponent based on rating you want to play against,level of teams,what pass support and quality of connection.So it's not that you'll be paired with anyone as you're saying.

A special tournament that you are only valid for is you have played less than 5 games and I play a guy with a full squad of superstars? Unless someone got out the credit card instantly and bought an entire team that was just a random person playing online i was matched with.

There aren't enough players online at once for it to be selective so you end up either playing players far too good or terrible players - both of which are a waste of time.

Last edited:
honestly i just dont see this . certainly in my Ml as villa i havent scored any of these so called rockets. fifas shooting is incredibley dull in comparison due to the ball physics.

and then onto another poster about pes being on rails i mean what game are people playing even on pa1 its not on rails let alone using the manual pass where you put it anywhere

physicality there is just no comparison. So what if fifa has a sheild button. you can hardly win fouls. pes ai now fouls at the right time , when it needs to and often

That just isn't true. And no, it's not subject to opinion.

what a difference if in pes you can see more fouls .... phisical battles in pes still looks souless and outdated , just like 6 years ago. Problem is , there is no engine , i mean there is engine but too old and it looks like Konami want to heal dead body with small fixes , it just doesn't work anymore. In least in fifa is matter of patch that is coming soon and we will see fouls .....i hope so ;)

As i said “I’m not saying that each shot will be on target but they will be powerful well hit shots”.

If the shooting was more stat based then the game would be a lot better. Yes i agree regarding physicality being better in PES although i am seeing less free kicks in ML than League Mode.

For me, different types of shots and goals are vital in a footy game. And i am talking scuff shots too, shots that hit the corner flag etc from both me and the CPU. If Konami fix that then it will be much much better. But the reality is that they wont.

That just isn't true. And no, it's not subject to opinion.

True, Fifa shooting is not dull, it's random. Ball takes random curves just to add excitement, and it still has the perfect spots to score. Try to reach that perfect spot, press the shoot button, watch the ball have an unrealistic trajectory that the goalkeeper will never save.

Pes shooting should be much more varied, as in player shooting animations should be much more varied to have more varied shots trajectories. Right now they are too basic, both the way the players hit the ball and shoot and the way we score.

the whole player movement and build up to the first goal was dull, the ball just moves too slowly like its covered in glue and then when the shot comes in it suddenly becomes overpowered and speeds up mid air. I have scored some great looking goals in this years fifa - just because it been smashed doesnt make it any less dull. I stand by my point i dont get any sense of achievement in scoring in FIFA, it much more satisfying in PES - weather thats down to the shooting or just the general flow of the game.

I agree with you about the ball physics, though I agree with others about the much greater variety in shots in FIFA. There's pros and cons with both. To each's own, but after enough time with PES I always get the sense that I've seen it all, so I'll take the variety of FIFA personally.

But I definitely still feel like PES has that old on the rails feeling. When I was playing tons of PES this year prior to FIFA's release, I remember thinking how at times it almost felt like a turn-based game, as I'd regularly have to wait for locked in animations to play out before I could do anything. And then while the ball physics looked sublime, it all had a self-determined feeling about it, where as FIFA feels far more alive with a greater sense of never knowing what can happen. Again, there's pros and cons to each approach, but personally I find PES's approach behind the times and limiting, though I think the result is slightly more polished than what you sometimes see out of FIFA.

With fouls, yes PES has fouls called but FIFA is overall better with its physical interactions and sense of physicality and intensity. PES doesn't have the issue with weird ragdoll animations that FIFA sometimes has, but in terms of intensity and physicality, PES to me feels more like playing an int'l friendly match in comparison to FIFA. Again, to each's own. Personally I'm not sure which I prefer, as again its pros and cons for both, but again I find PES's approach somewhat limiting while the reliance on contextual shielding is really frustrating; on the other hand, I love dem fouls.

For me it's often difficult to say this game is better at this than the other, because they have such different approaches and priorities with their gameplay, and each has its pros and cons.

But what is clear to me is that Konami just doesn't have nearly the resources invested in PES to compete with FIFA long term, and so while I often tend to fall in love with PES upon release (like this year), after a while I always get this sense that I've seen it all while there's always cracks in the beautiful facade that begin to show after enough playtime. FIFA, while it's got no shortage of flaws of its own, keeps me going much longer because of the variety, while the non-gameplay features, like CM and the licenses, really help to sustain me beyond that first month of playing each year.

Last edited:
Shooting in fifa is light years ahead of PES and has been for years.

I prefer PES gameplay in general - but not the shooting, it’s far more rewarding in fifa scoring a goal.

Pes shooting feels so dull and random (not in a good way) indeed. That's one of the first things I'd work on if I was in them.

Yep i agree totally. I think PES2013 was the last one to have ‘feel good’ shooting. Hitting daisy cutters and all kinds of sliced shots.

Back
Top Bottom