FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Re: FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

I don't understand how people are accepting of the keepers in PES. Every goal I've scored, or seen scored has been ruined by the keepers diving in slo motion. I can't get any satisfaction when I watch the replay and see that he's arms weren't even outstretched when the ball goes in, or how the game slows down when a save is involved.

This.

What's this attack of the Fifa fans..Ign has been giving Fifa a blow job for years now and now the table have turned its a outcry.

I agree pes16 is the best footie game ever made..the clue is in the word GAME!

"attack of the FIFA fans" ? Really?

I think you will find most of us were diehard PES fans back in the day.

"attack of the FIFA fans" ? Really?

I think you will find most of us were diehard PES fans back in the day.

Yep, refused to touch FIFA for years. Had a blind love for PES as I grew up with it but then I grew up. I still have a real affinity for PES and I would love nothing more than to see it really start pushing boundaries again. Back on the PS2 the game was continuously innovating and pushing what was possible.

Nobody can honestly say they're pushing the boundaries with 2016. They've finally created a game that works fundamentally (keepers could be argued). That's not good enough.

I guess w're going off topic here but i don't want to say this in the PES forum simply because people are enjoying it and it will serve only to create arguments.

I still have a real affinity for PES and I would love nothing more than to see it really start pushing boundaries again. Back on the PS2 the game was continuously innovating and pushing what was possible.

Agree 100%

What's this attack of the Fifa fans..Ign has been giving Fifa a blow job for years now and now the table have turned its a outcry.

I agree pes16 is the best footie game ever made..the clue is in the word GAME!

I have no problem with fifa fans or pes fan.
To each his own, i really don't mind.
I don't even mind either games fanboy's who can see no wrong in "their" game.

Online thing that is keeping me back from playing fifa online is that fact that there are too many - yes mostly young - guys making it a trick fest.
I don't like ppl using their goalie with trick to play me dizzy.
That is not football to me, and the reason i do not play online.

But, offline i have really enjoyed 14 and 15, and the fifa 16 demo is great too.

I'd also like to point out that I keep watching the videos and keep playing the demo because I very genuinely, and somewhat sadly, want to be wrong about PES (especially online), because the bits that are good are genuinely very good, and because I've always loved PES. But I've always loved it because it's been more realistic and challenging than FIFA, not because it's been more fun.

The reviews - there's another in now from Videogamer.com that also says "best football game ever" - keep convincing me to go back to the demo, and I enjoy it. But I see people playing it online and... For all the innovations, put it in the hands of superstar AI, or other people, and it seemingly becomes Ultimate Team.

But as I said, with the reviews being so good, I realise it's me "not getting it" and being a sim-head instead of a gamer.

I desperately want it to be good for how fluid it can be, but... It's just back and forth without thought, it's not football.

The Videogamer.com review said that tactics are important and passing the ball around is a must, that trying to force your way forward doesn't work. If that was true on its own, I'd be getting the game. But every video I've seen tells me otherwise, so again, I'm just sat here thinking "how can they say that?"

Last edited:

I was a bit confused by the word “fun” in the WENB video review.

Fifa was always “fun” the way you could score an overhead kick from the edge of your own box and matches that ended up more like a cricket score.
My mates who were FIFA fans would ask me how do I get joy out of playing a game that finishes 0-0, 1-1, 2-1 when their games on Fifa was finishing with at least 15 goals in.
PES was always for the football fan who knew about football. Who knew that you know what? Some games do end 0-0, some games are dull. But the playing of the games were never dull. It was a tactical battle against a very good AI.
I’d play 10 games a night and only manage 5 goals. It was a real challenge.
But now it seems that Konami want to make the game fun, hence the R2 being a goal every time and long ball over the top getting you through on goal with ease. I haven’t seen a game yet on youtube that ends 1-0 and looks a good tactical battle. Konami have moved away from their tradition and Im not a fan of the path they are taking.

Yes the game looks good and player model faces are great and so lifelike but I don’t want “fun R2 football” from Konami. I want that tactical battle back.

Fifa was always “fun” the way you could score an overhead kick from the edge of your own box and matches that ended up more like a cricket score.
My mates who were FIFA fans would ask me how do I get joy out of playing a game that finishes 0-0, 1-1, 2-1 when their games on Fifa was finishing with at least 15 goals in.
PES was always for the football fan who knew about football. Who knew that you know what? Some games do end 0-0, some games are dull. But the playing of the games were never dull. It was a tactical battle against a very good AI.
I’d play 10 games a night and only manage 5 goals. It was a real challenge.
But now it seems that Konami want to make the game fun, hence the R2 being a goal every time and long ball over the top getting you through on goal with ease. I haven’t seen a game yet on youtube that ends 1-0 and looks a good tactical battle. Konami have moved away from their tradition and Im not a fan of the path they are taking.
That's exactly what I mean about not being able to understand how the old school PES fans are raving about the gameplay.

I remember everyone (including myself) referring to PES5 as the most realistic football game out there. Suddenly, hardcore PES fans I know outside of Evo-Web are telling me "no, it wasn't about that, that's not what people were saying, it was more *fun*, it's about being the more *fun* game". That's definitely not how I remember it!

EDIT: I have to admit though, the RPG elements of the ML and BAL sound great, to me. The introduction of Team Spirit, especially.

Last edited:

Same here. As I said earlier, attitudes seem to have changed.

It's all good though. Unless something drastic changes, I have a game in FIFA 16 which is thoroughly enjoyable. That's good enough for me.

*he said welling up at the thought of a dying PES*

Last edited:

*he said welling up and the thought of a dying PES*
It won't die, especially not with the reviews it's getting. I wouldn't want it to, either - who knows if it'll turn out that FIFA's AI is too samey and/or online is a cheatfest that the reduced speed and increased difficulty doesn't apply to (these are my very real fears).

I just hope they either patch the midfield to make going end-to-end more difficult, or fix it for 2017. I'd love it, then!

Konami will need to scrap the current shooting engine and create a new one from scratch for me to even consider buying one of their football games again. That's the bottom line for me. It doesn't matter how good the game is in the middle of the park, how good the edit mode is, how good player models look, how good the commentary is; if the most important aspect of football (scoring a goal) continues to feel souless, like it did in the terrible old FIFA games, then I am OUT.

We do need a healthy PES game to keep FIFA on it's toes and vice versa. I am glad that PES 2016 is getting good reviews on one hand because it will keep EA focused. On the other hand it makes me annoyed because too many people fall for Konami's promises which are never delivered. PES 2016 (from what I've seen in videos and experienced from the demo) has too many faults to declare it the 'best PES ever'. The best PES ever was probably PES 5 for me and I'd imagine most other gamers. But when NGB are handing out this award to PES every year now it seems, then the series won't evolve and improve. How anyone who HATED the old FIFA games can now say they love this PES is beyond me, I just don't get it - but each to their own.

We definitely need two decent football titles, not just the one game dominating the entire market. I hope both FIFA and PES sell well this year and I think that they will.

Last edited:

Having played both demos, I have preordered both games.

The pes demo came first and was a real joy in a lot of ways. But if I'm being honest... Whereas everyone seems to say stick with it, then the enjoyment comes, it was the opposite for me. As much as I do still enjoy it, there are a few major flaws that are killing it in my opinion.

Lack of fouls by the CPU is massive.

The main one is... It is just very easy to score. The laser guided shots from outside the box are frequently going in, which in turn takes away the feeling of scoring good goals.

When really anywhere inside the box it just seems you know your gonna score, and the whole R1/RB finesse shot just curls perfectly into the corner and the keeper just can't ever save them. Even from outside the box, these just curl perfectly into the corners with not a save in sight.

Online is an area I can't comment on as the full game isn't out yet, but going on previous years I absolutely expect that it will be full of lag, unresponsive, and in general a shoddy mess!

Onto the positives...... I love all the aerial battles, midfield, corners, players have a real weight to them.

Due to the player weight, you can actually shield the ball and not have players just barging through you to get the ball.

In general this years pro evo is really very very good, the only problem for me is that fifa has taken it to an absolute whole new level.

For the first time in around 7 years I barely played a yearly fifa (fifa 15) so I wasn't expecting much at all from fifa 16.

This to me is in all my 20 years of playing football games.... The best football game/experience I have had.

The whole package is simply brilliant.
Playing on default broadcast cam is an absolute joy. The computer shoot from distance, they foul, they get sent off.

But playing with friends locally is simply brilliant. Full of so many different touches, animations and possibilities.

Last year felt for me like headless chickens on speed.

This year the dribbling is brilliant, and while ronaldo is fast and given clear grass can be gone, he's never going to fully sprint away when shoulder to shoulder with a defender. Therefore defending wise, as long as your positioning is good you can defend.

Gameplay is king, both games have it, fifa edges it for me in gameplay, but given all the stadiums, kits, commentary, and all the other bells and whistles fifa as a package is brilliant.

I'm getting both games, and am looking forward to both, but with the fifa demo it's the first time I've ever panicked that they may change something in the final game. That's how good I feel it is.

The only negative I have with fifa is......

Scripting. Does it happen? I'm not sure. What I do know is it never enters my head when I play pro evo.

45th minute, 90th minute. Happens way to often. Balls breaking perfectly for goals to be scored. Very annoying.

If they'd just stop this it'd be one hell of a game, just no need for it. Just let the game play out!

2 cracking games, buying both, but defo fifas year for me!

Good points - all the positive reviews are making me wonder if I've been too quick to cancel my PES pre-order, even though every Twitch stream is evidence to the contrary.

You mentioned the scripting in FIFA... Lots and lots of people talk about the 45th minute and 90th minute goals and say that there's some form of scripting going on.

It's happened to me plenty of times too, so I can see why people would believe that, but I honestly don't think they'd bother programming that in "for drama" (or keep it in when faced with all the complaints). EA have denied it for a long time now. I think it's more like there's a few different issues that crop up when players become fatigued a certain amount, that combine to create slow defenders and not-as-affected strikers. Either way, it happens, and it's a bit rubbish admittedly.

I've conceded plenty of 45/90 minute goals and still assert that it's nonsense to say that there's scripting in the game related to conceding at those times, part of the issue is that the 45th and 90th minute are usually 5 minutes long with injury time so that already means you're 5 times more likely to concede in that "single" minute than any other minute...

I've conceded plenty of 45/90 minute goals and still assert that it's nonsense to say that there's scripting in the game related to conceding at those times, part of the issue is that the 45th and 90th minute are usually 5 minutes long with injury time so that already means you're 5 times more likely to concede in that "single" minute than any other minute...

Yeh fair enough point that. I'd kinda thought that myself. Also I've seen in a few recent games, 44th minute, 88th minute, as well as maybe having 5 or 6 games where it doesn't happen.

I absolutely think they could help themselves and all of us by showing the added time seperately like on tv, and then when someone scores, show it on the graphic as for example 45+2. Like on tv.

How many 45th and 90th minute goals would we get then!!

pes demo is so behind what fifa now is. everything feels so basic and arcadey and non-dynamic. shooting for examples is like a rocket in any circumstance no matter what like it doesnt take body position or balance or momentum into account - you hit first timers and volleys and narrow angles like its all the same. whereas in fifa it always depends on body position etc which can produce many many results. the variation and dynamic between both games is astounding. i really feel like fifa is a next gen game whereas pes is an indy digital download or something, gameplay wise. pes is 2 generations behind

as for reviews, first things first - check review history. pes 2014 and 2015 got plenty of 8/10 or 9/10s so if you didnt like those games then how can you trust these same companies 9/10 score for pes2016 ?

the good thing for me is unlike past years i am not that bothered about a bad pes because i love fifa15 and fifa16demo so at least i have a football game i enjoy to play.

Good points - all the positive reviews are making me wonder if I've been too quick to cancel my PES pre-order, even though every Twitch stream is evidence to the contrary.

Be strong. Don't let your heart rule your head.
First time since ISS started I won't be buying pes on release day.
I enjoy Fifa so much more.
Tried the pes demo again tonight but I can't get into it.
So I'm not wasting my money.

pes demo is so behind what fifa now is. everything feels so basic and arcadey and non-dynamic. shooting for examples is like a rocket in any circumstance no matter what like it doesnt take body position or balance or momentum into account - you hit first timers and volleys and narrow angles like its all the same. whereas in fifa it always depends on body position etc which can produce many many results. the variation and dynamic between both games is astounding. i really feel like fifa is a next gen game whereas pes is an indy digital download or something, gameplay wise. pes is 2 generations behind

Sums up exactly what I think. Well, apart from the digital download part. Slightly harsh.

Pes is a great game this year, it's just that fifa has really nailed it on and off the pitch, and I feel because it's so good it shows pes' failings.

What always attracted me to pes was the fact that every game you played, different things continued to happen, even after 20 games, you would still be scoring/seeing different goals/things.

I absolutely don't feel that with pes this year, but really do with fifa.

Pes is great in the middle of the park, but scoring just gives a feeling of nothing.

I'm not sure of coding or how it's all done, but the simplest way I can explain it is.....

The ball falls to me on the penalty spot, I finesse it towards the corner...... In pes it's a goal, I'm certain of it..... In fifa it's like an imaginary dice is rolled. This dice doesn't have numbers.... It's just full of things like score, save, wide, post. And depending on the player, it will have more or less good outcomes. Ie ronaldo has 4 good dice sides and 2 bad, Sergio Ramos would have maybe 1 good side and 5 bad sides.

The point I'm making is, there are times where I'm sure I'll score in fifa and the keeper will pull off a blinder. I need that. I need to know I can miss or it be saved. I just really don't feel that with pes unfortunately.

Konami will need to scrap the current shooting engine and create a new one from scratch for me to even consider buying one of their football games again. That's the bottom line for me. It doesn't matter how good the game is in the middle of the park, how good the edit mode is, how good player models look, how good the commentary is; if the most important aspect of football (scoring a goal) continues to feel souless, like it did in the terrible old FIFA games, then I am OUT.

We do need a healthy PES game to keep FIFA on it's toes and vice versa. I am glad that PES 2016 is getting good reviews on one hand because it will keep EA focused. On the other hand it makes me annoyed because too many people fall for Konami's promises which are never delivered. PES 2016 (from what I've seen in videos and experienced from the demo) has too many faults to declare it the 'best PES ever'. The best PES ever was probably PES 5 for me and I'd imagine most other gamers. But when NGB are handing out this award to PES every year now it seems, then the series won't evolve and improve. How anyone who HATED the old FIFA games can now say they love this PES is beyond me, I just don't get it - but each to their own.

We definitely need two decent football titles, not just the one game dominating the entire market. I hope both FIFA and PES sell well this year and I think that they will.

This guy has nailed it.

Pro Evo has been fantastic in the middle of the park and in terms of player models for a few years now, but it's all a complete waste of time if you get absolutely no satisfaction out of scoring.

That's where Fifa is king now. Just as the old PES titles used to have the unpredictability factor, that's what we EA have now. Goals feel very satisfying in Fifa. You rarely score the same goal twice. And let's be honest, it plays a pretty good all around game of football itself.

PES needs a complete overhaul in terms of its shooting mechanics otherwise it will never - ever - be as satisfying and as enjoyable as FIFA.

I'd still like to see a review that reflects how I feel, because at the minute all I'm seeing are reviews with gameplay-related observations I entirely disagree with, and scores of 8-9 out of 10.

I'll be interested to see what the Eurogamer review is like, I usually agree with them.

Sums up exactly what I think. Well, apart from the digital download part. Slightly harsh.

Pes is a great game this year, it's just that fifa has really nailed it on and off the pitch, and I feel because it's so good it shows pes' failings.

What always attracted me to pes was the fact that every game you played, different things continued to happen, even after 20 games, you would still be scoring/seeing different goals/things.

I absolutely don't feel that with pes this year, but really do with fifa.

Pes is great in the middle of the park, but scoring just gives a feeling of nothing.

I'm not sure of coding or how it's all done, but the simplest way I can explain it is.....

The ball falls to me on the penalty spot, I finesse it towards the corner...... In pes it's a goal, I'm certain of it..... In fifa it's like an imaginary dice is rolled. This dice doesn't have numbers.... It's just full of things like score, save, wide, post. And depending on the player, it will have more or less good outcomes. Ie ronaldo has 4 good dice sides and 2 bad, Sergio Ramos would have maybe 1 good side and 5 bad sides.

The point I'm making is, there are times where I'm sure I'll score in fifa and the keeper will pull off a blinder. I need that. I need to know I can miss or it be saved. I just really don't feel that with pes unfortunately.

yes, agreed. its down to variation, and pes has lost it and fifa has gained it.

I'd still like to see a review that reflects how I feel, because at the minute all I'm seeing are reviews with gameplay-related observations I entirely disagree with, and scores of 8-9 out of 10.

I'll be interested to see what the Eurogamer review is like, I usually agree with them.

you agree with 9/10 score for pes2014 and 9/10 score for pes2015? because thats what eurogamer gave

I've just played the FIFA demo for well over an hour and I can genuinely say that every game I played was a pleasure. People's criticisms in regards to the player models are valid, as they certainly can't compare to that of Pro Evo, but the game delivers where it counts. I spend a lot of my time looking at instant replays such is the satisfaction of playing a beautiful pass or scoring a goal.

There was a beautiful sequence in particular that I liked. I was playing as Barcelona and Suarez was midway through a maurading run. One of the opposing defenders hacks at him in a desperate attempt to quash his momentum, Suarez stumbles but stays on his feet. He's through on goal now, so I compose myself and instead of firing a hard shot, I simply use the pass button to stroke the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Magical.

I have nothing to say regarding the latest PES game as I haven't played it, but it would take something truly astonishing to replicate this feeling. Anything is possible in this game.

Upped the difficulty to World Class on the FIFA Demo, definitely think they've got the CPU passing a bit off. Played 4 matches and the opponents had above 90% success in every one. Will need sliders.

How are people defending? I'm trying to give tactical a chance, but it just makes no sense to me on World Class. If I close the ball myself, I'm ping-pong-passed out of it, but there is no option to make your AI teammates actually make a tackle, so if I block lanes and wait, I could spend the entirety of the half without the ball due to the accuracy of CPU passing.

Feels a bit dull to be honest.

Once you actually have the ball it's pretty brilliant though.

I have played both games back to back over a few days and still think the AI in PES better simulates playing against a human. As in the way the AI presses or moves you and the way gaps can open up. On FIFA, even though the AI is now moving the ball around more nicely, when you're moving the ball forward it's still pretty much the same way it's been done for years. Players will pretty much stay in position rigidly and it can feel a bit robotic and mechanical. Which is a damn shame because the variety in other areas of the game is fantastic.

So what this means is when my friend buys FIFA on his console, I'll enjoy playing 1 vs 1 at his place. There's 3 of us that have an ongoing league each year where we trade players into 3 separate teams and play once a week. I can see us having some good battles coming up.

But I'm not sure whether there's enough of a change for me to buy it for myself. I'd be quite happy to play FIFA 15 still if I need a FIFA fix but more than likely will be buying PES 16 for the offline. Even with no proper option files, I really enjoy playing some of the other modes like UCL, Copa Libertadores etc and Master League seems decent from what I can see.

So I'm probably lucky in that even if I buy only PES, I'll still be able to play both games regularly. But I've been spending more of my spare time watching movies and shows and less time gaming so I don't know whether I'll buy either game on release.

I simply use the pass button to stroke the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Magical.

In previous FIFA's, the keeper wouldn't react to a pass as a shot, he wouldn't react at all... So in other terms, using a pass to score can be considered as an exploit.

I thought it was common knowledge that for the last 5 minutes of each half the CPU (certainly in past FIFAs) just ramps up the decision making etc, as if it becomes one or two difficulty levels harder? It's not scripting - as in, predetermined outcomes to a shot deflection or cross in order to allow the CPU to score - but it's unscripted gameplay which is still producing a pattern because of the overly long injury time and the AI suddenly having much quicker reaction times, much better decision making, more effective dribbling etc.

you agree with 9/10 score for pes2014 and 9/10 score for pes2015? because thats what eurogamer gave
That's a really good point. Maybe not, then!

I've relented and reinstated my PES pre-order after talking to Honome (he posts on here but not often now) about the ML experience, the "team spirit" (i.e. chemistry) and RPG elements in particular... I'm not looking forward to correcting all the team names and importing all the kits etc. but it sounds like it's something a little bit different, particularly the "team spirit" being part of the offline experience and making the creation of a winning team a little bit harder than just "buy the best players".

A few guys are talking about their online experiences now and the word is that the input lag from last year is back, so that's out as far as I'm concerned (which is really disappointing, I thought that would be Konami's number one priority).

But, my worry is that as much as I'm enjoying the FIFA demo, the defensive AI is too "perfect" (and defending as a human is too tricky) for it to last a whole season without it becoming frustrating. So, hopefully, PES can provide a breath of fresh air when needed.

Back
Top Bottom