FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Well if you think about it, there's nothing wrong with playing a football game from 2016 in the year 2019. That's not even that old! I can understand getting the new game every year if the games are good and there's always a bit of progress, but footy games these days are a bit like EA's surprise mechanics. It might be better, it might be worse, it might be complete garbage.

I do have Origin Access though, so I'm not too fussed about it. I'll get to play 20 for a week before release, and if i'm not impressed that will be it. I will be comparing it to much better games than 19 however so I don't know if it stands a chance if there are no fouls or if it's end to end crap.

Playing on legendary getting penalties and being fouled on. Only playing 4 minute halves.
Professional or lower I’m surprised if the AI even attempts to tackle are people surprised no fouls

I hate to say it, because it shouldn't be this way, but fouls are directly tied to play style in FIFA (for single player at least). For example, if you don't use skills often, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't see as many fouls as folks who use skills do. Likewise with using L1 close dribble - quick movements with L1, especially when in the box, can lead to a lot of fouls. Shielding too, but a lesser extent.

I'm not sweeping the problem under the rug. Fouls are an issue for sure. But just know that how you play can lead to different experiences. Also, sliders can help too.

Playing on legendary getting penalties and being fouled on. Only playing 4 minute halves.
Professional or lower I’m surprised if the AI even attempts to tackle are people surprised no fouls
Not that I dont believe you, but I wouldnt mind to see couple of pictures with end game stats from your matches.

Difficulty spikes after professional
Well, I used to play 10mins halves on Ultimate in Fifa19 and was still ending up with 0/1 fouls per game. This was the biggest issue and thats why I eventually stopped playing. AI tackles were always perfect.

For example, if you don't use skills often, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't see as many fouls as folks who use skills do.

That's news to me, although I also don't care about using or learning skill moves. But I remember in fifa 18 that any skill move resulted in the AI player freezing into place or simply getting out of the way (presumably blinded by my mad skillz)!
See: Example

I didn't get any free kicks on 19 ,and I'm using skill moves a lot.
If it's a lot of fouls above professional difficulty on FIFA 20 beta great,haven't seen any videos on it so far though.
Still,the fouls aren't my biggest concern,the non existent build up from the CPU and its been that way since fifa 18.
Like I said before,I hope it could be a good game on release,but so far it's really looking poor

That's news to me, although I also don't care about using or learning skill moves. But I remember in fifa 18 that any skill move resulted in the AI player freezing into place or simply getting out of the way (presumably blinded by my mad skillz)!

Yep. The AI will definitely foul in FIFA if you put them at a severe enough disadvantage, which is easiest to do with skills. You're right that AI defenders react poorly to skills - it's almost like it breaks their code or something - but the freezing issue wasn't as big a thing in 19.

I felt the ai backed off to much both on FIFA 18 and 19 when dribbling,also the issue on the wings when they quite often ran back in to the box rather than stop you when having running on the wings.
At least on ULT on 19 and LEG on 18.
Hope that's fixed

I didn't get any free kicks on 19 ,and I'm using skill moves a lot.
If it's a lot of fouls above professional difficulty on FIFA 20 beta great,haven't seen any videos on it so far though.
Still,the fouls aren't my biggest concern,the non existent build up from the CPU and its been that way since fifa 18.
Like I said before,I hope it could be a good game on release,but so far it's really looking poor

If you didn't get a free kick in 19 then I can only assume you hardly played the game.

Simple fact is that neither game has the tech in place for fouling. PES has tried this year and the result is you get tons of fouls called that should never have been called. With FIFA, without major additions specific to the physical interactions and detection, it's going to be the same as it's been.

If you didn't get a free kick in 19 then I can only assume you hardly played the game.

Simple fact is that neither game has the tech in place for fouling. PES has tried this year and the result is you get tons of fouls called that should never have been called. With FIFA, without major additions specific to the physical interactions and detection, it's going to be the same as it's been.
By "didn't get any free kicks" I obviously meant "hardly got any".sometimes 1-2 in a game,sometimes none,most of the time 1 per game,that's pretty well established ,isn't it?
I had two seasons on my Genoa career,15 min and ULT difficulty.
Of course they have the ability/skills both on Pes and Fifa,Pes 17 tons of fouls (no pens though) Fifa 16 tons of fouls.
I'm pretty sure it's not something they're very interested in,FUT/Myclub eSports don't really want it,and they listen!

Yes, first of all there was no need to use skill moves to create space. The wings were wide open because of the dumb FBs, and depending on their tactics the midfield was wide open as well. In any case I never got more than 1, 2 or 3 fouls from the AI per match. Most of the time it was 1 or 2, and I was playing 10 minute halves. At the end of the day the lack of fouls in fifa 19 was not even my biggest problem with the game. But just saying.

At the end of the day the lack of fouls in fifa 19 was not even my biggest problem with the game. But just saying

Same here,I actually enjoyed my first season,and took the no fouls since I enjoyed other aspects,but patching and in the end the low foul count made it really dull.
One thing I really liked (and I hope they build on that) was how human like the ai played on ULT (for the most part ) difficulty

Simple fact is that neither game has the tech in place for fouling.

It's 2019 not 1967 the tech is there, it's bad programming or just lazyness. In 19 I get fouled, win fouls the best way to do this is to jockey, draw them in, put the cpu in a comprising position where they have to foul you a bit like irl. It's not perfect but it works...

It's 2019 not 1967 the tech is there, it's bad programming or just lazyness. In 19 I get fouled, win fouls the best way to do this is to jockey, draw them in, put the cpu in a comprising position where they have to foul you a bit like irl. It's not perfect but it works...
I played 19 for a couple of hours last night and it's odd - I can draw fouls in the penalty area pretty easily, but on the rest of the pitch not so much.

As @mfmaxpower says, it's related to play style isn't it. I only tend to stop and dribble in the box - the rest of the time I play a patient passing game, which doesn't give them much chance of getting close enough to foul me.

EA used to have that advanced tech back in fifa 11. You could get maybe 15-20 fouls per match. Then tactical defending happened in fifa 12 and everyone keeps their distance as if it's a no contact sport and fouls have been a problem ever since. Although it has gotten slightly worse in the past few years. There were a few more fouls on the impact engine. Yet there are many nice coming together/contact animations in frostbite as well. I'm willing to bet that it's just a design decision.

Last year they showcased the new 50-50 battles, and by design, fouls was not one of the possible outcomes! Maybe they don't want fouls to be a deciding factor in the joke of a game that is e-sport/competitive fifa.

theory floating around on twitter:

la liga license was announced on first matchday of the last season
bundesliga starts this friday -> maybe a reveal is imminent?
otherwise gamescom is coming up in germany next week. maybe they will have a playable bundesliga with faces and everything to show then.

I played 19 for a couple of hours last night and it's odd - I can draw fouls in the penalty area pretty easily, but on the rest of the pitch not so much.

As @mfmaxpower says, it's related to play style isn't it. I only tend to stop and dribble in the box - the rest of the time I play a patient passing game, which doesn't give them much chance of getting close enough to foul me.

Yeah , I noticed that with the AI in FIFA too, they just love making a reckless lunging slide tackle in the box for some reason. Not sure we should draw attention to it though or they might fix it with a no penalties solution!

Back
Top Bottom