FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

It may be all in my head, but the update 1.03 messed the game pretty badly. The players move a lot less organic, like there are some skipped frames in order to finish the animations faster. The little steps when dribbling or changing direction, the body adjustments - those seem to be significantly reduced. There is a magnetic feeling when moving the players, which translates into the lack of true 360 degrees movement.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before 1.03, I played quite a bit with sliders set 4.3 and it was awesome.
Yet it doesn't feel more responsive compared to previous update. So I don't see why they downgraded animations if they dont increase response of dribbling. Typical of EA.

So took the decision to get a ps4 pro and sell my day one ps4 ..game always looked good but it looks stunning in 4k. Was considering xbox one x but wait till little lads a bit older and see what's about in 18 months 2 years

Beautiful ball physics. Really enjoying this game!
giphy.gif

Ok, so I bought my first FIFA ever and boy do I hate it. I set it up so that I got paired with other Semi- assisted players online. It took a while to find an opponent every time since I guess everybody plays assisted settings.

Anyway. The complete lack of weight and watered down individualism in players really is a gamebreaker for me. The ice- skating that the game often get slack for is very apparent.

Of course I will give it some more time, probably use some sim- style sliders and play offline for once.

So, back to PES with all it's flaws, but that game got soul at least...:)

Ok, so I bought my first FIFA ever and boy do I hate it. I set it up so that I got paired with other Semi- assisted players online. It took a while to find an opponent every time since I guess everybody plays assisted settings.

Anyway. The complete lack of weight and watered down individualism in players really is a gamebreaker for me. The ice- skating that the game often get slack for is very apparent.

Of course I will give it some more time, probably use some sim- style sliders and play offline for once.

So, back to PES with all it's flaws, but that game got soul at least...:)

So you've based the entire game on a couple of online matches?

PES lost it's soul when it stopped using stats, went down the myclub route and all but abandoned the master league killing off single player enjoyment

yep , you can easly see that for example there is big difference between fast and slow players in fifa.

in other games we know that stats doesnt matter at all.

yep , you can easly see that for example there is big difference between fast and slow players in fifa.

in other games we know that stats doesnt matter at all.

This isn't a PES v FIFA thread. And I even agree that individuality in FIFA is much better than in PES, but there is a similar video to the one you posted done for PES.

I feel that the more technical attributes are the ones that show the difference in FIFA. I was playing against Milan earlier today with Fiorentina. I could skip around Romagnoli much easier than I could against Bonucci. Or long passes with Ramos are much easier than with most other Centerbacks. That's where I notice FIFA's individuality.

We've gotten a lot of positive comments for the Version 5 sliders. Check them out if you would like.

*using fidel's camera mod for PC*

FIFA 18 Operation Sports Sliders | Version 5 (Beta)
World Class/Legendary, 10-15 Mins, Slow Speed
as of 11/5/17

*parentheses indicate previous version*

Sprint Speed - 42/42 - The patch update made players very, for lack of a better word, slidey...or loose. They just never seemed to set their feet. As a result, we decided to bite the bullett (as will be the theme) and lower the Sprint value to get more solidarity on the player's momentum and turn of direction. This, paired with lowering acceleration, has worked nicely.

Acceleration - 49/49 - For the first time we are adjusting acceleration to a lower value. This is creating the much needed physicality throughout the pitch and is allowing the user to get past the defending CPU players in certain situations. In addition this also helps with the runs off the ball. That little bit of needing to revv up, allows the defending players just a second extra to gear for the attack.

Shot Error - 51/51 - No change here.

Pass Error - 54/54 - With the way the CPU tends to attack this patch update, this made the most sense. We started at lower error values from 50 and moved up. Yes, the CPU loves their driven passes, but at least now there is a little bit more error in some passes; not to mention the lines help the driven pass from being truly effective.

Shot Speed - 51/51 - Just an extra added pop to the shots. Results in slight deflections by the keeper and lets headers really be powerful - also side footed shots.

Pass Speed - 42/42 - The biggest mystery was pass speed. Here's the simple fact. The teammate AI does not react to a high pass speed. They just will not step forward or even acknowledge that a pass has occurred. On top of that, the CPU will use their driven pass when you raise this pass speed to 43, 44, 45 and so on. They even use it here on 42, but now at least the user's AI is actually aware of the ball and can react. This is the same concept as what we've had on the past with lower pass speeds in the 30's etc, but I would say that this is one of the most important elements of this set.

Injury Frequency - 64/64 - less players walking off the pitch, and more recovering from injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

Injury Severity - 4/4 - still plenty of severe injuries and variety of injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

GK Ability - 48/48 - Always one of those values that needs some extra looks. When it's lower it seems that logically it should mean less superman saves. The thing is though that a lower GK sometimes results in the keeper diving backwards more often because they are not quite in sync with the shot at hand. Lowering their ability does introduce some chance of randomness when they have to kick the ball away though. So keep an eye out for this one overall.

Marking - 52/52 - Still an extremely sensitive value. Too high and players are following runners everywhere. Too low and it's passive resulting in through pass central to a fallen asleep outside back. Good balance here at 52 where there is enough urgency to defend the player, but not so much that it over commits the position. Note that some less than stellar teams out there tend to suffer from issues with defending, especially when they are on a fairly high aggression in the CTT. So if you see instances in which the defending seemed suspect, please let us know. As I said though, marking is very sensitive.

Run Frequency - 15/15 - With the new line values, this makes sense to lower the run frequency. Thankfully it doesn't make the CPU super direct like in did in previous patches, however the CPU forwards will cut off their streaking runs to check to the ball. Thankfully the pass speed matches this animation up and allows the defenders to at least be aware of what is going on. We had this value at 20 for a bit during the stream, but changed it to 15 due to the crossing issues from both user and CPU. The issue was that the forward was getting ahead of the defensive line and in an offsides position. Lowering the value allows the forward to time their run a bit better and get a good opportunity to have the ball played into their path versus behind them.

Height- 70/70 - Huge difference for us here. This was a value that I feared would have to come into play. Mainly the issue with higher height is that players get "pushed' out of position, so you have to constant compensate with a lower length. Problem with a lower length is that the players retreat a bit too quick in transition. I think we've found the right value to go along with this height though. Another thing with height is that the aggression of defending players is back again, and it's a nice sight to see players get pushed off the ball completely - and yes the ref seems to call these. In addition, the defensive line works as a solid unit with this height, but of course all sliders are relative, so the length and width have to be adjusted as so.

Length- 40/40 - Relative to the higher height, 40 works perfectly. Not too low that it is ultra compressed and never decompresses, and not too high that the players are so spread out that it becomes end to end consistently. With any lowering of length there is a bit more of a retreat in transition, but the higher height does allow this to not look as obvious - and the midfielders are much more aware due to the pass speed, that the CPU cannot just counter at will every attack.

Width- 48/48 - Another tough value to get right, but lowering width was crucial in getting the midfield back. Too spread out and the CPU will start driven passes all over and it will be a cluster by the user's defensive line like before. Yes, with this low value there is always a chance that positions can get easily swapped or players may be out of position on occassion. This happens IRL football, so it has to be welcomed in FIFA as well. Overall, this is another crucial setting, and is one that I tried desperately to increase, only to find that the CPU sees it as their out to try to be extra direct again.

FB Positioning - 55/55 - The higher height and lower length promotes the need to indeed lower the FB positioning. This value has been found to be just about right as it doesn't start the FB's run too soon such as immediately going on the run once possession is regained, but it does make the runs a priority in the deeper defensive third. This value also helps with the crossing as it pushes the midfielder to be more into the box and thus bringing in another body for the crosser to aim for.

FT Control - 65/65 - Had to raise this up with the lower pass speed and error. The combo of a higher FT control and pass error is delightful and will make elite and poor players stand out respectively. Not to mention the fact that dribbling experts can also stand out.

Does someone play Seasons in full manual? Cant find any opponents so I want to know if its normal that nobody plays full manual or I have a problem with my connection...

I used to be an all manual player, but jave moved to assisted mainly because I was getting frustrated with manual controls and not finding players online.

Anyway I got really into ultimate team offline in fifa18 and I have just switched to legendary and the game feels much better.

Fairer I would say. They are ruthless in front of goal but I can tackle apponents and have quite a few chances a match.

World class was much harder for me.

As I said I am on default sliders and assisted, but I am enjoying it alot on legendary.

On offline battles ultimate team I was only managing gold 2 max. But since moving to legendary I am currently on Elite 3 which is a big jump.

Well this is nice...

The latest update came through, the one with the updated face scans. Approx 750MB. It was loading ok but then got stuck at around 89% and wouldn't move forward. XBone. Tried pausing and restarting. Nowt happening.

Thought i would cancel the update and then start again. Selected "Cancel" and it deleted the entire game from my hard drive. No message asking "are you sure?" and no indiction at all that the "Cancel" would delete the entire game. Now have to download all 45 gigs again. I purchased FIFA 18 as a digital download so no way around it.

Anyone know if my saves will be there when the game finally re-dwnloads? Things like renamed stadiums, career mode saves, etc?

Thanks.

We've gotten a lot of positive comments for the Version 5 sliders. Check them out if you would like.

*using fidel's camera mod for PC*

FIFA 18 Operation Sports Sliders | Version 5 (Beta)
World Class/Legendary, 10-15 Mins, Slow Speed
as of 11/5/17

*parentheses indicate previous version*

Sprint Speed - 42/42 - The patch update made players very, for lack of a better word, slidey...or loose. They just never seemed to set their feet. As a result, we decided to bite the bullett (as will be the theme) and lower the Sprint value to get more solidarity on the player's momentum and turn of direction. This, paired with lowering acceleration, has worked nicely.

Acceleration - 49/49 - For the first time we are adjusting acceleration to a lower value. This is creating the much needed physicality throughout the pitch and is allowing the user to get past the defending CPU players in certain situations. In addition this also helps with the runs off the ball. That little bit of needing to revv up, allows the defending players just a second extra to gear for the attack.

Shot Error - 51/51 - No change here.

Pass Error - 54/54 - With the way the CPU tends to attack this patch update, this made the most sense. We started at lower error values from 50 and moved up. Yes, the CPU loves their driven passes, but at least now there is a little bit more error in some passes; not to mention the lines help the driven pass from being truly effective.

Shot Speed - 51/51 - Just an extra added pop to the shots. Results in slight deflections by the keeper and lets headers really be powerful - also side footed shots.

Pass Speed - 42/42 - The biggest mystery was pass speed. Here's the simple fact. The teammate AI does not react to a high pass speed. They just will not step forward or even acknowledge that a pass has occurred. On top of that, the CPU will use their driven pass when you raise this pass speed to 43, 44, 45 and so on. They even use it here on 42, but now at least the user's AI is actually aware of the ball and can react. This is the same concept as what we've had on the past with lower pass speeds in the 30's etc, but I would say that this is one of the most important elements of this set.

Injury Frequency - 64/64 - less players walking off the pitch, and more recovering from injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

Injury Severity - 4/4 - still plenty of severe injuries and variety of injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

GK Ability - 48/48 - Always one of those values that needs some extra looks. When it's lower it seems that logically it should mean less superman saves. The thing is though that a lower GK sometimes results in the keeper diving backwards more often because they are not quite in sync with the shot at hand. Lowering their ability does introduce some chance of randomness when they have to kick the ball away though. So keep an eye out for this one overall.

Marking - 52/52 - Still an extremely sensitive value. Too high and players are following runners everywhere. Too low and it's passive resulting in through pass central to a fallen asleep outside back. Good balance here at 52 where there is enough urgency to defend the player, but not so much that it over commits the position. Note that some less than stellar teams out there tend to suffer from issues with defending, especially when they are on a fairly high aggression in the CTT. So if you see instances in which the defending seemed suspect, please let us know. As I said though, marking is very sensitive.

Run Frequency - 15/15 - With the new line values, this makes sense to lower the run frequency. Thankfully it doesn't make the CPU super direct like in did in previous patches, however the CPU forwards will cut off their streaking runs to check to the ball. Thankfully the pass speed matches this animation up and allows the defenders to at least be aware of what is going on. We had this value at 20 for a bit during the stream, but changed it to 15 due to the crossing issues from both user and CPU. The issue was that the forward was getting ahead of the defensive line and in an offsides position. Lowering the value allows the forward to time their run a bit better and get a good opportunity to have the ball played into their path versus behind them.

Height- 70/70 - Huge difference for us here. This was a value that I feared would have to come into play. Mainly the issue with higher height is that players get "pushed' out of position, so you have to constant compensate with a lower length. Problem with a lower length is that the players retreat a bit too quick in transition. I think we've found the right value to go along with this height though. Another thing with height is that the aggression of defending players is back again, and it's a nice sight to see players get pushed off the ball completely - and yes the ref seems to call these. In addition, the defensive line works as a solid unit with this height, but of course all sliders are relative, so the length and width have to be adjusted as so.

Length- 40/40 - Relative to the higher height, 40 works perfectly. Not too low that it is ultra compressed and never decompresses, and not too high that the players are so spread out that it becomes end to end consistently. With any lowering of length there is a bit more of a retreat in transition, but the higher height does allow this to not look as obvious - and the midfielders are much more aware due to the pass speed, that the CPU cannot just counter at will every attack.

Width- 48/48 - Another tough value to get right, but lowering width was crucial in getting the midfield back. Too spread out and the CPU will start driven passes all over and it will be a cluster by the user's defensive line like before. Yes, with this low value there is always a chance that positions can get easily swapped or players may be out of position on occassion. This happens IRL football, so it has to be welcomed in FIFA as well. Overall, this is another crucial setting, and is one that I tried desperately to increase, only to find that the CPU sees it as their out to try to be extra direct again.

FB Positioning - 55/55 - The higher height and lower length promotes the need to indeed lower the FB positioning. This value has been found to be just about right as it doesn't start the FB's run too soon such as immediately going on the run once possession is regained, but it does make the runs a priority in the deeper defensive third. This value also helps with the crossing as it pushes the midfielder to be more into the box and thus bringing in another body for the crosser to aim for.

FT Control - 65/65 - Had to raise this up with the lower pass speed and error. The combo of a higher FT control and pass error is delightful and will make elite and poor players stand out respectively. Not to mention the fact that dribbling experts can also stand out.

Used these settings with 3 matches last night and they all felt really great. Thanks.

The comparison video states the grass draw distance is a bit more on xbox one x, other than that identical to the pro - there's a video somewhere

Is it any different to the PS4 Pro?

I'd love to see some real comparisons.

Not seen it on the Xbox X, but there is night and day difference between 4K PC and PS4 Pro.

Everything on the PC looks much more detailed, the PS4 Pro looked like you were playing the PC version on Medium/Low settings.

I would expect given the extra power of the Xbox X, it would look the same as PC running in Ultra.

Not seen it on the Xbox X, but there is night and day difference between 4K PC and PS4 Pro.

Everything on the PC looks much more detailed, the PS4 Pro looked like you were playing the PC version on Medium/Low settings.

I would expect given the extra power of the Xbox X, it would look the same as PC running in Ultra.

+1
I played FIFA 18 on PS4 Pro when it first came out at my friend's house and was quite underwhelmed.
Then I tried it on my own PC (see Systems Specs below if you'd like. I'm quite proud of them) and still felt like there was something quite not right. But now that I've played it on the same PC but hooked to a 4K TV... it made a HUGE impact in the overall feeling when playing it. It feels more 'believable' and a lot more immersive. I'm enjoying Career Mode a lot.

Have been playing non stop for two days as soon as I got home from work and plan to do the same tonight. Gotta take advantage of a few days off not seeing my girlfriend, lol.

I do think PES 2018 is better though, in gameplay and graphics.

So I'm very happy to be able to enjoy both games so much this year. I really am. I can get tired of one and move to the other. Back and forth all year.

Last edited:
+1
I played FIFA 18 on PS4 Pro when it first came out at my friend's house and was quite underwhelmed.
Then I tried it on my own PC (see Systems Specs below if you'd like. If take big pride in that) and still felt like there was something quite not right. But now that I've played it on the same PC but hooked to a 4K TV... it made a HUGE impact in the overall feeling when playing it. It feels more 'believable' and a lot more immersive. I'm enjoying Career Mode a lot.

Have been playing non stop for two days as soon as I got home from work and plan to do the same tonight. Gotta take advantage of a few days off not seeing my girlfriend, lol.

I do think PES 2018 is better though, in gameplay and graphics.

So I'm very happy to be able to enjoy both games so much this year. I really am. I can get tired of one and move to the other. Back and forth all year.

Good stuff! I think FIFA is better, but like you, I'm enjoying both, and happy to go between both games when I get tired of one.

You also mentioned PES so you are comparing, keep to Fifa in fifa thread simple really.

I simply said PES had soul. But fine, sorry about that.

Anyway, played FIFA more now and I can't say I feel or see any individuality in players. They just seem so generic. Guess it has to do with the somewhat cartooney player models as well.

Love the shooting tough! Could get stuck in training mode because of the shooting...

we playing different game i guees . There is some videos from training mode and its clear that there is individuality . At least player speed , ball controll and shooting acc. Yeah they feel generc coz same animations i guees but we talking about stats. Just record test movie from training mode and show us .

Back
Top Bottom