FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

fifa18-featurespage-authentic-lg-2x.jpg

Looks creepily horrible

another good point:

"
Dribbling has been apparently overhauled, EA’s words not mine, and it is better, slow dribble is on RB and you should see more personality in dribbling, coming from the addition of 6 new “Player Archetypes” which they sadly didn’t go into much detail on, but as an example in a situation with Verrati trying to take the ball off of Hummels, Hummels feels a bit chunkier whilst Verrati is obviously a lot more nippy, again, seems obvious but it was good to see a noticable difference between different physicalities.

It’s been done to try and provide a distinction between certain types of players beyond just their stats and from what we saw it was pretty good, Marcus Rashford felt very “Marcus Rashford like”, and the system extends as far as unique running styles for different types of players, think Raheem Sterling’s arms, and in the case of Cristiano Ronaldo, they went as far as packing up all of their motion capture gear and chucking on a plane to Madrid so that they could capture him fully and replicate his unique movement and running style in game completely as seen in the reveal trailer.
"

I mean, I can't take that preview seriously when his opening statement is as follows:

The last two years have seen PES eclipse EA's colossus once the ball's at your feet

PES 2016 is hot garbage, and while PES 2017 does a lot of things right, I wouldn't say it has eclipsed FIFA in the gameplay department. Neither of the two have been clear "winners" in regards to gameplay in my opinion (over the last few years). They both do certain things well, but individually, they're not the total gameplay package that the PS2 era PES games were. I still don't understand how a completely broken game like PES 2016 gets heralded as one of the greatest football game ever. I've just never understood the praise it received when it's broken in so many basic, fundamental ways.

There are gameplay elements I love and loathe from both series, but neither is standing high above the other. They're both lacking.

Crossing has been improved, at least: previously, crosses would loop high into the air and take far too long to reach the danger area by which time both the attacker and defender would have positioned themselves directly underneath the ball so who got their head to it first would be determined simply by the players' respective heights. Now, standard crosses whip with a finesse and pace that is both closer to real life action and far more satisfying to strike.

Clearly this guy has never utilized the early cross mechanic because it does just that and it's very effective. In fact, entirely too effective. Early crosses are pretty much the go to in 17 and it's borderline ridiculous how good they are. And no, height is not the governing factor in regards to winning/scoring headers. I score headers quite often in Pro Clubs and my pro is only 5'8.

Last edited:
thank god EA can't run Konami out of would football, because the markets to big for that. If they could this game would be a yearly roster update like Madden Football is. I'm happy with this healthy competition, it gives us fans better football games.

So far PES 18 has impressed me more though.
Good to see FIFA finally getting some team individually. AI needs much improvement though AI attacking is ( Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass ......shoot.):CRY:

Last edited:
PES 2016 is hot garbage, and while PES 2017 does a lot of things right, I wouldn't say it has eclipsed FIFA in the gameplay department.
I see your point, but who do you trust more - the guys who've written the previous previews I've linked to, who confess to playing 600+ games of FIFA 17 and thinking it's pretty great (I wouldn't say FIFA 17 is great, don't know about you), or the guy who is AT LEAST seeking a realistic game of football by playing the alternative?

More to the point, if you can't take the writer seriously, just skip to the interview where the producer states that the MAIN GOAL is to make the game look realistic, and that defending has to be crap or "every game would be scoreless" and "not fun".

As soon as I see a football game developer using the word "fun", I know I'm going to hate the game. If I want to play a "fun" game, I'll play Crash Bandicoot. In the meantime, try and make your FOOTBALL game play like FOOTBALL.

I see your point, but who do you trust more - the guys who've written the previous previews I've linked to, who confess to playing 600+ games of FIFA 17 and thinking it's pretty great (I wouldn't say FIFA 17 is great, don't know about you), or the guy who is AT LEAST seeking a realistic game of football by playing the alternative?

More to the point, if you can't take the writer seriously, just skip to the interview where the producer states that the MAIN GOAL is to make the game look realistic, and that defending has to be crap or "every game would be scoreless" and "not fun".

As soon as I see a football game developer using the word "fun", I know I'm going to hate the game. If I want "fun", Crash Bandicoot is out shortly...

Oh, I completely agree. To be honest, I suppose my point was that regardless of the source, I tend not to trust most of them when it comes to football games. Information usually comes from people who either lack football knowledge, lack gameplay knowledge in regards to FIFA/PES, or both. And like you said, sometimes from the blinded, biased, fervent fanboy which does nobody any good.

Good to see FIFA finally getting some team individually.
Is five preset attacking styles and five preset defending styles "team individuality", though? Especially if lower league teams can use "tiki taka" as easily as a Premier League team.

It's not enough. Say Watford and West Brom both have their attacking style set to "possession". There's going to be no difference in playing either team, is there? What if Arsenal use "possession", too? What will make playing Arsenal any different?

They say player individuality will make a difference, but A) there needs to be more tactical difference than picking option 1 of 5, that's not how tactics work, and B) player individuality won't exist or it'll be patched out, come on, let's be honest.

I'm being incredibly negative I know, but I think it's important to be sceptical given that we may be disappointed.

I'm delighted that one of their main PR pushes is gameplay-focused, and something we all think needs a great deal of improvement (i.e. team styles), rather than it all being about the graphics. But, I mean, it's MOSTLY about the graphics, and reading the interview in the Gamespot preview, it really doesn't feel like it's going to be a big change.

Last edited:
As soon as I see a football game developer using the word "fun", I know I'm going to hate the game. If I want to play a "fun" game, I'll play Crash Bandicoot. In the meantime, try and make your FOOTBALL game play like FOOTBALL.
it's less fun when you score shit loads of goals because you can't defend because it's to fast.

I wish EA would make a better player camera experience, that's my cup of tea. It's to far away and choppy on PS4.

Is five preset attacking styles and five preset defending styles "team individuality", though? Especially if lower league teams can use "tiki taka" as easily as a Premier League team.

I'm being incredibly negative I know, but I think it's important to be sceptical given that we may be disappointed.

I'm delighted that one of their main PR pushes is gameplay-focused, and something we all think needs a great deal of improvement (i.e. team styles), rather than it all being about the graphics. But, I mean, it's MOSTLY about the graphics, and reading the interview in the Gamespot preview, it really doesn't feel like it's going to be a big change.

i wonder if EA bit off more than they can chew.
Maybe they don't have the manpower to give all those licensed players and teams individuality. Or maybe unimportant to them.
Shit loads of work on top of the journey series.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In a word, no. In two words, not yet.
Thanks for the response, looks like I timed my interest well, didn't realise E3 happened on weekends. Find it reasonably shocking that the discussion around the 5 types of attack/defence basically implies that previous FIFAs didn't have that. Sigh.

As an old (school?) gamer, I'm in it for the single-player, and that means variety when playing the CPU trumps all. Looks like yet another year of disappointment. Over to you PES!

Short gameplay video. It's Fifa 18 100%. Notice the R2.

https://twitter.com/SecardenYT/status/873783740941684736
Anybody speak Spanish so we know what the guy is saying as he analyses the video?

Because, I mean, honestly, I thought the way that the Atletico Madrid striker so easily held off the defender all the way through the box - until that really naff little half-tackle half-deflection left a free ball in the box - was pretty crap.

(I've recorded the video in-case it's taken down!)

Looks nice ..ive read that NHL took a year to get used to frostbyte and the last installation was good so here's hoping

Hope they toned down the drilled passing as that made it really tough to play pass speed above 30. I'm not sure what input lag is, it's been that way since FIFA 09, and I never had a problem with it. It's just like getting your feet from under you, you have to control the ball before shooting/passing, etc. You're not going to try to pass the ball forward if the ball is behind you. Hard to take any reviews so far seriously. The twitter video above is typical P1 v P2, over aggressive defensively. I paid attention to the players off the ball and liked how the CB stays goal side, back pedals, then shifts to run as the forward makes his run. The radar showed players joining in the attack, and not just leaving 3 defenders with 1 forward like PES tends to do.

Always same crap every year with the previews some saying all the teams play with indivuality then when we get the game people pick holes in it within 30 mins and it obvious that barely anything changed.

Id rather they took a year out of producing a Fifa game and worked on the stuff that really matters

Live substitutions is something we saw in FIFA way back on Road to the World Cup 06 & World Cup 2006 back on the 360, loved that feature glad it's back in.

On the video the the AI controlled run by Azpi is really bad though, it is what open the goal for a free shot for Carasco. Players positioning and attitude when the play shift form the direction of the length to the direction of the width is a remanent issue with fifa series (can't speak for 17 though). If the first man gets beaten the door is wide open and as user it is a nightmare to try finding bodies to bring between the ball and the goal. The run of the Chelsea man on right wing back position (ai controlled too) looks quite useless and number 3 positioning is quite bad too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom