FIFA 13

Messi doing any skill or being abused to do skills hurts me just as much. Leave the skills to C. Ronaldo/Neymar not Messi for Gods sake O_o

Weak foot ability is reasonably well represented, certainly much more in 12 than it has been in the past. When the data is accurate, that is.

Weak foot frequency isn't really represented at all. It shouldn't be a matter of requiring prior knowledge of what a player's favoured foot is; it should be made immediately obvious in the manner that they receive and dribble the ball.

On a slightly different topic, here's a video of NHL 13 in which they demonstrate this year's changes in momentum and first step.

YouTube - NHL 13 Gameplay Producer Explains Explosiveness

Thank you so much for that description - that much better describes the issue than I've done.

So yes, on one hand like some of us keep saying, week foot ability is a factor in FIFA and has become more relevant in recent years.

But right, the frequency - and also the tendency - is the area that is lacking. When dribbling with players I think we'd all like to immediately be aware of which foot a player prefers based on specific animations.

And maybe that's the issue - you need a full range of animations to be able to represent those who are distinctly right footed, those who are distinctly left footed, and then those in-between. No?

Yeah just like one would naturally differentiate between right and left footed players he'd see for the first time in TV.It should be automatic without remembering who is right and left footed off by heart.
The RS dribble stick would have to be adapted to it, I mean Messi doing the flip flap with his right foot makes my eyes bleed

I agree that you should be able to tell whether a player is predominately left or right footed - based on gameplay feedback, not menu stats - but I think we also have to remember that for the vast majority of players it's not nearly so evident as it is when watching Messi, Robben, Silva, Di Maria, etc.

Think of players like Rooney, Drogba, Aguero... these players have their preferred foot but it's not nearly as evident when watching them play as it is for those listed above.

And consider when watching a team you're not familiar with - only those with the keenest eyes, paying the closest attention, would notice the preferred feet of CBs and CMs. Meanwhile, the only reason it tends to be clearly evident which foot an LB or RB prefers is because of their position, with it being extremely rare to see a left footed RB and vice-versas.

So yes, it would be nice to have greater attention payed to weak foot ability, frequency, and tendency, but the reality is that we are only talking about a minority of players - the Messis, Robbens, etc - for which this would be truly obvious and relevant in gameplay.

That's my interpretation at least. Am I wrong?

So whoever thinks the FIFA crowd is after simulation should take another look in the mirror. These 2 guys I described are the target audience LOL.

Hmm, so your friends are the target audience? Not me? Or Placebo? Or the countless people who play on the Slow gamespeed setting, or have used Placebo's slider settings to even further slow the game down (to a point I must admit is way too slow for my tastes).

The undeniable fact of the matter is that people have a wide range of tastes, and this goes for both PES and FIFA. It's why FIFA offers Slow and Fast settings, and PES offers a +2 gamespeed as well as a -2.

But yes, your two friends surely represent the millions of FIFA fans out there.

Thank you so much for that description - that much better describes the issue than I've done.

So yes, on one hand like some of us keep saying, week foot ability is a factor in FIFA and has become more relevant in recent years.

But right, the frequency - and also the tendency - is the area that is lacking. When dribbling with players I think we'd all like to immediately be aware of which foot a player prefers based on specific animations.

And maybe that's the issue - you need a full range of animations to be able to represent those who are distinctly right footed, those who are distinctly left footed, and then those in-between. No?

I agree that you should be able to tell whether a player is predominately left or right footed - based on gameplay feedback, not menu stats - but I think we also have to remember that for the vast majority of players it's not nearly so evident as it is when watching Messi, Robben, Silva, Di Maria, etc.

Think of players like Rooney, Drogba, Aguero... these players have their preferred foot but it's not nearly as evident when watching them play as it is for those listed above.

And consider when watching a team you're not familiar with - only those with the keenest eyes, paying the closest attention, would notice the preferred feet of CBs and CMs. Meanwhile, the only reason it tends to be clearly evident which foot an LB or RB prefers is because of their position, with it being extremely rare to see a left footed RB and vice-versas.

So yes, it would be nice to have greater attention payed to weak foot ability, frequency, and tendency, but the reality is that we are only talking about a minority of players - the Messis, Robbens, etc - for which this would be truly obvious and relevant in gameplay.

That's my interpretation at least. Am I wrong?

You're pretty much spot on about everything except the part in bold.I'm not saying you're "wrong" but just that I see it as something that will affect a lot of players in the game, the players who used regularly both feet are less in terms of numbers than the ones who mostly use one foot.
It's the way I humbly see things

Me and a friend choose different teams all of the time on Fifa, I play on Manual and he on Assisted. But every new team I use and are not that familiar of the players, I look at my attacking players prefered foot.

I think it makes a big difference with finishing and crossing and If you know your players prefered foot, then it is definately an advantage. My friend doesn't really look at this and he shoots and fluffs lots of shots, just because he doesn't position the player correctly to use the preferred foot.

But I do agree it could be much better passing wise and I don't really pay much attention to preferred footedness with defensive minded players, which I should do and it should make a difference.

So it can be improved alot, but it is at least implemented quite effectively attacking wise (Shooting and Crossing) but like everything can be improved alot.

I hope they have more sliders this year especially with things like their new first touch/control thing. Then we can make it is good as possible.

The news I am waiting for, are what sliders they will have and how Manager mode will be :DD

I highly doubt we get any new slider options this year. Would be nice though. Hey if they make a perfect game why buy the next edition?:COOL:

You're pretty much spot on about everything except the part in bold.I'm not saying you're "wrong" but just that I see it as something that will affect a lot of players in the game, the players who used regularly both feet are less in terms of numbers than the ones who mostly use one foot.
It's the way I humbly see things

You could very well be right, but I think this highlights the difficulty of the issue.

Especially when you consider that player ability, frequency, etc to use one foot or the other can vary quite a bit depending upon whether we're talking about dribbling, trapping, tackling, shooting, or passing.

You have some players, like say Di Maria, who seem to actually only have one foot.

Then you have others who are a bit more comfortable dribbling and passing short with both feet but when time comes to shoot or cross will do whatever they can to get the ball on their preferred foot, like say Ashley Young (although Young did show good two-footedness in his goal against Norway, which he finished with his left).

Then you have those who clearly have a preferred foot but are nonetheless lethal with either one, like Rooney or Aguero.

And then that goes for the defending side of the game too, from slide tackling to putting a foot in, to lateral movement (e.g. a left-footed defender tends to be much better containing at speed to his right than the other way around) - the variety among players is astounding when you really think about.

So you can imagine that this issue isn't so simple to address, especially when consider that not only do we want greater individualization on the pitch but we expect it to be accurate, and collecting accurate data on all the footballers in FIFA, even just those in the top leagues, is no small task in and of itself.

This is why I don't begrudge EA for focusing on getting the more general aspects of gameplay right, like the AI, first touch, dribbling, before (hopefully) moving into the depths of better representation of foot preferences.

I too would love to see this area of the game get an upgrade but I think maybe we at times underestimate the challenge to these companies have at delivering to the level we'd like to see.

Last edited:
I highly doubt we get any new slider options this year. Would be nice though. Hey if they make a perfect game why buy the next edition?:COOL:

I'm hoping for a few new sliders, there will always be imperfections that make people buy the next years title.

It will never be perfect anyway as even if you can change sliders, playing online will always be default and most of teh time that is what I end up playing, but it is nice when playing a manager game to change them.

Now if they let you change the sliders and let the opposition see them before accepting, that would be great :)) But I can't see that happening.

Can't believe all the negativity as usual before anyones played ..just like to say 2 things ..1.football will never be simulated no matter what you introduce that goes for both FIFA and PES ..2. No matter what EA do certain people on here will always shoot it down usually before they've even seen a video let alone played it ..so sad

I must be the only one thinking that, sliders ruined FIFA for me. If AI was spot on there would be no use for sliders in the first place.

AI in FIFA is terrible, so let's offer users a way to change it to suit their play style. Genius idea, poor implementation (leave only CPU sliders, get rid of User sliders as users are viable to cheating if they are given such option).

Plus to have use of sliders you're limited to only 1 difficulty setting really, Legendary. If you start modifying sliders on lower settings, the game becomes a mess, easy as piss game (unfortunatelly if you read FIFA sliders settings thread, I tried them all :P).

So an offer, make a proper AI for Gods sake, so we don;t have to use sliders. EA can do it if they want to. They have done so in the past... ;)

I must be the only one thinking that, sliders ruined FIFA for me. If AI was spot on there would be no use for sliders in the first place.

AI in FIFA is terrible, so let's offer users a way to change it to suit their play style. Genius idea, poor implementation (leave only CPU sliders, get rid of User sliders as users are viable to cheating if they are given such option).

Plus to have use of sliders you're limited to only 1 difficulty setting really, Legendary. If you start modifying sliders on lower settings, the game becomes a mess, easy as piss game (unfortunatelly if you read FIFA sliders settings thread, I tried them all :P).

So an offer, make a proper AI for Gods sake, so we don;t have to use sliders. EA can do it if they want to. They have done so in the past... ;)

There's no problem with the implementation of the sliders as it pertains to the AI. The problem is the AI. There's really no good reason to get rid of the sliders - what's important is upgrading the AI, which they're doing. If people want to "cheat" in single player or offline, who cares.

But I do agree with you: I'm actually not a fan of the sliders either. Not that I'm against the concept or their inclusion - and I'd be shocked if there aren't even more sliders in 13 - but I've failed to find a combination of settings that satisfied on a consistent basis.

Personally, I've wasted far too much time tinkering with the sliders, obsessing over each little change, rather than just enjoying the game for what it is.

But I don't think the answer is to get rid of the sliders - they're clearly popular with a lot of people and you aren't forced into using them. Rather, the answer is to improve the underlying mechanics, like the AI, and provide even more sliders that hopefully are more specific.

Yes, ideally sliders would not be needed, but providing more options to the user is the way to go. After all, difficulty settings, gamespeed, controller settings... they are all the same as sliders in that they are meant to allow gamers to have the best experience possible for them. The more options the better.

Exactly if they (Sliders) make the game easier for the person playing offline, then that is upto them and they won't get the most out of the game.

But if you use them properly it can bring more of a fair challenge that you can make as difficult as you want. There is no reason not to add them now and every reason to add them.

But as I said I mainly play online and so they don't make a difference, so I agree the main default gameplay needs to be improved considerably.

Hmm, so your friends are the target audience? Not me? Or Placebo? Or the countless people who play on the Slow gamespeed setting, or have used Placebo's slider settings to even further slow the game down (to a point I must admit is way too slow for my tastes).

The undeniable fact of the matter is that people have a wide range of tastes, and this goes for both PES and FIFA. It's why FIFA offers Slow and Fast settings, and PES offers a +2 gamespeed as well as a -2.

But yes, your two friends surely represent the millions of FIFA fans out there.

Don't Placebo's slider settings speed up the game? 70-80ish pass speed etc.?

Don't Placebo's slider settings speed up the game? 70-80ish pass speed etc.?

Well yes and no.

He does increase pass speed and player run frequency, which does have the effect of speeding up the pace of play.

But when it comes to the overall feel of the game, for me that is more than countered by, first playing on Slow setting, and second decreasing player Sprint Speed to 45, third playing with 10 min halves, and finally playing on full manual settings.

This isn't in any way meant as a criticism of those settings, as many people are benefitting from them and as I've said before, clearly different people have different preferences, but for my tastes combining Slow gamespeed with a decreased Sprint Speed makes the players feel far too sluggish and unresponsive.

I put passing speed down lower and a couple of other things, but Placebos sliders are a great set to use and change slightly to your preference.

I have my own slider setting and custom team tactics - nearly every game since FIFA 08 has, in my view, been too fast on 'default' settings. Maybe I'm getting old.

It's too bad that reducing the player speed sliders by more than a few points messes up the tackling mechanism.

mfmaxpower - I was ranting a bit in relation to my two friends. I for one like to check out forums and see what's happening the FIFA world re gameplay improvements and slider settings etc but there are plenty of people I know who don't visit forums. They just buy the game every year. Play it the same way. Change new defending systems back to legacy etc etc.

As per usual, just because we're vocal about what we like and dislike on games, does not mean we're the only or necessarily the main crowd that is being catered for. If that were true, there should be no fast game speed setting nor fully assisted controls.

My main gripe is that no matter how much you can improve the game via slider adjustments, once you play online it's back to default settings, which by enlarge are not as good.

EA collect user info/telemetry from FIFA - in the above video Rutter states 97% of people used the new defending system - probably due to lazy users never exploring game options.

Messi doing overhead kick. There lies FIFA realism. Arcade.

The trailer also showed something it should not if it truely aims for REALISTIC football simulation. It showed stuff you should do on FIFA Street. Not in big FIFA ;).

But that's just my rigid observation. Can't see tactical side overhauled too, still online will be overwhelmed by skillers. Sad (and EA made it even worse by looking at teh trailer!!).

Apparently you're going to be interact with the game using Kinect voice commands this year? I don't have an xbox anymore, but that could potentially be interesting - imagine telling the defender to leave it, or telling a player to make a run. No idea if it work though.

Still using the same old and shitty crossing animation shown at 10 seconds, eh? Persistent bunch they are.
Looks pretty good otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom