LB Fabio
RM Raheem Sterling
CM Ji Sung Park
LM Hoillet
RAM Adryan
LAM Taraabt
ST Frei

Fulham 0-1 QPR
It was an hard fought victory for QPR. It was nil nil for both halves so it went to extra time. Both teams defended as their life depended on it. Then suddenly QPR were on the break as Shauwn Wright Phillips's shot hit the keeper then the ball went up in the air. The keeper was too slow to react as Phillips headed to ball in the back of the net. Jack Butland made his debut in this match. He made some great saves and he kept a clean sheet on his first game.

Spurs 2-2 QPR
QPR were shocking Spurs with a 2-0 lead at the begining of the first half but Spurs riped the QPR Defence into pieces suprisingly after defending fantasticly in their last game.

QPR: MR SKILLZ 98 would like to thank both taylor 94 and Stylez 1892 for discovering the gem that is Adryan.
MR SKILLZ 98: "Adryan is an absoulute superstar for my team. He alongside Taraabt provide the skill, pace and technique in midfield for us. He is a hard worker on the pitch and in training and everyweek he dazzles you with something special."

Sick to death of players saying they won't come to my club because they "love living here, but could be persuaded"

Greedy bastards just want more money

Sick to death of players saying they won't come to my club because they "love living here, but could be persuaded"

Greedy bastards just want more money

I so get where you are coming from.

A tip i have also noticed is 'do not specify' under team role gets me more signings lol

A tip i have also noticed is 'do not specify' under team role gets me more signings lol
When i select do not specify, the players say that they want to know their role in the club. I only get away with it if im a big club like Man utd and i want to buy a 60-70 overall player. So Do not specify for me only works depending on the club and the players overall.

I think it's just random. I had just one GK in my squad, rated 68 or so, I tried to buy a 75 rated GK, offering him a 'crucial 1st team player' role,and he declined, saying he didn't think I could give him that role!

I think it's just random. I had just one GK in my squad, rated 68 or so, I tried to buy a 75 rated GK, offering him a 'crucial 1st team player' role,and he declined, saying he didn't think I could give him that role!

When i select do not specify, the players say that they want to know their role in the club. I only get away with it if im a big club like Man utd and i want to buy a 60-70 overall player. So Do not specify for me only works depending on the club and the players overall.

It must just be me then. It seems ive never had a problem. Maybe being liverpool that might be why??

I always offer a couple more money wise then the suggestion above also. Ive got subotic, kroos and neuer all without saying what role. :)

Well I will be doing another update soon as I have entered my 2nd Liverpool Managerial season.

This season looks to be action packed.
The Update will include Transfers In and Out, League Cup & FA Cup action, Premier League Updates and Also Champions Cup updates as I venture through its Group Stage.

Also the fact that I took over as Denmark manager in April 2013 and since played the final two world championship qualifiers.

It seems the hopes as my career unfolds as a manager both at club level and internationally could build on the 2 cups won in my first season with a chance to claim a record of 5 cups/titles in my cabinet.

I was thinking about setting some ground rules to make the game more difficult for myself, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I feel it's a bit too easy to build a great team from the ground up.

I've taken Fleetwood to the Premiership in 4 seasons, and have a multitude of developing world star players in the academy, and a 4 star team. I've not even spent that much money, it just seems that even cheap scouts find great players and free agents are far too good to genuinely be free agents. An 18 year old CM OVR 68? He must have slept with the manager's wife or something.

A few ideas were:

1) Increasing the minimum age of free agent transfers by 1 each year, starting at 17-18 and stopping at 22, to avoid the regens.

2) Each season the wage cap for a player is a 50% increase on the current maximum you pay out. This stops windfalls of cash from over-the-top sales being used to bring players who are far too good into the team. It seems like the board can always match your wage budget season-on-season, so there's no problem with spending to the limit all the time.

Any others?

I was thinking about setting some ground rules to make the game more difficult for myself, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I feel it's a bit too easy to build a great team from the ground up.

I've taken Fleetwood to the Premiership in 4 seasons, and have a multitude of developing world star players in the academy, and a 4 star team. I've not even spent that much money, it just seems that even cheap scouts find great players and free agents are far too good to genuinely be free agents. An 18 year old CM OVR 68? He must have slept with the manager's wife or something.

A few ideas were:

1) Increasing the minimum age of free agent transfers by 1 each year, starting at 17-18 and stopping at 22, to avoid the regens.

2) Each season the wage cap for a player is a 50% increase on the current maximum you pay out. This stops windfalls of cash from over-the-top sales being used to bring players who are far too good into the team. It seems like the board can always match your wage budget season-on-season, so there's no problem with spending to the limit all the time.

Any others?

Try playing the game without your hands....

I pretty much actually do lol. I lock to the goalkeeper and let the CPU battle it out. I like the lack of direct control over what my players are doing.

To clarify my first message, I mean difficult from a managerial point of view. I already find the actual gameplay difficult enough.

Unfortunately there's nothing really you can do, other than keep reloading until you get some bids or something, really annoying because the transfer system has a lot of flaws, not least deadline day which is horrifically badly programmed.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. The best recommendations I've seen have been getting the players you want to sell or loan on to good form; only list a few at any one time; and yeah, reload and reload until you get bids.

It's really unfortunate because while FIFA 13 is overall an excellent football game, there are tons of little issues that can really drive one mad. Scheduling in CM, for instance, can still be atrocious - I've had my current season almost ruined by two separate stretches of 4 matches in 8 days.

Still, so much better than what we were dealing with only a few years ago.

A few ideas were:

Any others?

I agree. It is a bit too easy. So I suppose the question is, why is that so?

From my perspective, the two key things are that player growth is too fast, and it's too easy to pack your squad with high potential free agents/youth players and sell them on for massive profits.

Regarding player growth, I'm not sure how much you can do about it. I'm playing on World Class right now but I think in my next Career I'll try playing on Legendary, for the increased challenge and the hopes that maybe losing more games and having poorer player performances might result in slower growth. I'm not sure this will slow down player growth though like I'd like it to.

You could also stay away from high potential players. I've developed the nasty habit of sometimes checking the various online databases to check on player potentials, which is basically cheating the game, making things a little less challenging, and if I'm being honest with myself it's probably detracting from the overall experience. But I'm weak and when I'm in the market for a new player or players, sometimes I just can't resist the urge!

You might not be doing this, but if you're looking for an increased challenge, you could always do the opposite - use the online databases to ensure that you're not signing high potential players, so that the progress of your squad is slower. From my experience, it's a bit too easy to start out with the lowest rated squad in a league only by the end of the season to have one of the highest rated squads. Maybe choosing to play with players that have little growth potential is a good way to up the challenge and make things a bit more realistic.

Regarding free agents and youth academy players, all that can be done is to make things harder for yourself by not using them at all. (Which, if you're anything like me, is easier said than done. Like I said, I'm weak.) You might just limit yourself to real players. Personally, I try to stay away from any player with a black silhouette, but some of the youth players and regens can be hard to pass up. Especially when you're in the lower leagues and broke.

Finally, the simplest solution might be to just increase the challenge of gameplay, either by playing on a higher difficulty setting or through the use of sliders. You say you already find gameplay challenging but if you're progressing up through the leagues so quickly, it ultimately means that you're winning a lot of games. You can always return to your previous settings if it's no fun, but experimenting with finding ways to make gameplay more difficult could be part of the solution to making CM more challenging.

Finally, the simplest solution might be to just increase the challenge of gameplay, either by playing on a higher difficulty setting or through the use of sliders. You say you already find gameplay challenging but if you're progressing up through the leagues so quickly, it ultimately means that you're winning a lot of games. You can always return to your previous settings if it's no fun, but experimenting with finding ways to make gameplay more difficult could be part of the solution to making CM more challenging.

The problem is I either sim games or lock to the goalkeeper and let the cpu play. I found playing as the team meant I was compensating for team weaknesses, and it pretty much rendered a lot of stats redundant like vision. By letting the cpu play I feel the players actually perform closer to how they should.

I did try increasing the difficulty but I was just getting beaten by teams that were much poorer on paper, so the issue wasn't improving the squad but improving my skill, and I play online for that.

Some good points about checking the database for poor potential players, that could work. The issue with staying away from silhouette people is there are quite a few real players without faces. Maybe I'm asking for too much from EA ha.

Im starting a new Career mode with Real Madrid. This is going to be a mess around career where i just buy players and have fun. Im going to change club every season.

Im still continuing my QPR career mode. Every month (on the career mode calender) i will be posting my updates here.

I guess I also have to admit that it is too easy to go from a crappy team to a Champions League challenging team in just a few seasons, I guess one "rule" that would help would be to choose the maximum transfer tax (think it's 65% of transfer funds back?) that will significantly slow things down, and I guess also having some kind of slavery rule to stop yourself buying all free transfers purely to sell for profit :)

I was thinking another interesting limitation would be that you're not allowed to lie to players when bringing them in.

I used to feel pangs of guilt when my fringe players would plead forlornly to be sold in the next window because I'd promised them the earth only to stuff them in the substitute drawer as soon as they arrived. It seemed they couldn't do anything more than send me passive-aggressive notes telling me their agent had pointed this out, at which point I'd just twirl my evil moustache and blank them.

In real life players can terminate their contracts in situations like this, but in Fifa 13 they just end up condemned to the reserve dungeon forever. What's particularly pathetic is they way they'll then re-sign towards the end of their contract without a second word if you ask, like they've become institutionalised and can't imagine life any other way.

The problem is I either sim games or lock to the goalkeeper and let the cpu play. I found playing as the team meant I was compensating for team weaknesses, and it pretty much rendered a lot of stats redundant like vision. By letting the cpu play I feel the players actually perform closer to how they should.

I did try increasing the difficulty but I was just getting beaten by teams that were much poorer on paper, so the issue wasn't improving the squad but improving my skill, and I play online for that.

Some good points about checking the database for poor potential players, that could work. The issue with staying away from silhouette people is there are quite a few real players without faces. Maybe I'm asking for too much from EA ha.

Wait, so you're not actually playing the game? Then why, may I ask, are you playing FIFA's CM at all rather than one of the dedicated manager games?

If you're not actually playing the matches, then yeah I could imagine it'll be pretty difficult to get the experience you're looking for out of CM since all the logic of the game is programmed around the core concept of playing the matches.

I could never get into Football Manager, too in-depth. I like the immediacy of career mode in Fifa, and it's still fun without directly playing the matches themselves. The AI is pretty competent now, so I can adjust formations and custom tactics during games to give my team the advantage and see them actually respond in a really visual way. Football Manager doesn't give you the aesthetic side of football. There's a difference between being told your new signing scored a hat-trick and seeing him do that on his own because you set your side up well.

Fair enough. It blows my mind that one could find it more enjoyable to watch a FIFA match than play it, but to each's own.

I eat soot, I have never heard anybody play Fifa just as a management game without controlling the players in game :LOL: but good on you, if you are enjoying it, then great. It never even crossed my mind to do it, it is a great advert for Fifa though if you are enjoying it.

On the subject of player development, I think it isn't that bad. In regards to my VP it is quite realistic, in if I perform well early in my career then I shoot up quite a bit (As a young player usually does when they put in a series of good performances) but then it gets harder and harder to increase your stats. I am in season 5/6 now and I am on 80, but I think the maximum I will get is 85 maybe, if I play another 5 seasons or so. The players around me don't seem to be getting to crazy either.

In normal manager mode, it could be better, but it is getting there and they need to make a few tweaks. But if you compare it with PES (From what I have read) then it seems like it is light years ahead.

They need to stop it being so easy to buy Free players/young players and sell them on for a lot of money so quickly and a few tweaks to how players increase stats etc

But it isn't a game breaker and isn't that bad imo. In PES people are switching off player development altogether because of the ridiculous stat increases.

I haven't found CM that easy. It took me 3 seasons to get Le Mans promoted from Ligue 2, finishing 8th, 4th then 1st. I am seeing how we fare in Ligue 1 before seeing what jobs are available in the summer.

I have only had one big windfall from a player, Simone Fazio, who was progressed so well, that even though offers started at £10 million, I got £19.5 million for him! He wasn't adequately replaced though, and scoring goals hasn't been quite as easy. Maybe that was in part due to me not breaking the wages structure for some 80+ rated striker.

Ha, it is an unusual way to play, I wondered if anyone else had tried. I used to play the games, but found it was difficult to replicate the randomness of real-life football; I was either easily winning games or getting hammered by ninja teams, there didn't seem to be a happy medium where depending on team strengths/formations/etc. the games would be back and forth, tense affairs.

I'd suggest giving it a go to see what you think. I've found a particular sweet spot with the sliders that means the games play out as finely balanced affairs, so I'll sometimes sycthe through lower rated opposition, but other times struggle to keep a draw.

When you can't control them it can be incredibly frustrating, especially when it opens up but they elect to take an extra touch rather than immediately shoot, but that happens all the time in the Prem. Conversely, the times when they string together 5-6 passes in the final third, dance through the defence and put it into the top corner is so much cooler than if you'd done it yourself. To me, anyway lol.

To add to my original point, I don't think CM as a whole is easy. Certainly allowing the CPU to play means it's more difficult to put together obscene strings of wins and run away with the league. I just feel it's far too easy to create a highly rated team. Like was pointed out before, you can turn a team from half a star to two to three in one season, more with particularly shrewed purchases. Using the glut of free agent monsters for easy money means by the end of your second season you can be pushing four stars, yet have only just got promoted to the Championship.

I don't check for player potential, or abuse the free agents, and it still feels like I can't hold back the tide of exceptional talent everyone seems to possess. The way players can soar past their potential is bizarre as well. I had Bernie Ibini-Isei up until recently, sold him at the tender age of 23 at an overall of 76. After looking it up out of interest, his potential is apparently 66.

Last edited:
I knew someone who played Sensible World of Soccer as a "management" game and didn't actually play the matches, I couldn't get my head around that either! :)

I guess I also have to admit that it is too easy to go from a crappy team to a Champions League challenging team in just a few seasons, I guess one "rule" that would help would be to choose the maximum transfer tax (think it's 65% of transfer funds back?) that will significantly slow things down, and I guess also having some kind of slavery rule to stop yourself buying all free transfers purely to sell for profit :)

I have this two simple rules to make my career more challenging and realistic:
- no scouts and youth players (because it is easy to scout good youth players, even with *scout and sell them for 1+mil). I have played with Cheltenham and sold a few of this youngsters for 5 mil in second season
- can not sign free agents in one year for more than 20% of my yearly budget (because it is too easy to sign a couple of free agents and sell them in next transfer window for couple of mil).

I am actually looking at my total transfer budget (not wages). So if my current total yearly budget is 2 mil (sheffield), I can sign a free player(s) worth total 0.4 mil.
If I didn't apply that rule, I could sign a couple of free players with low wages and market value of couple of mil and sell them in next transfer window; that would double my budget to 4mil and that is IMO a cheat.

Back
Top Bottom